The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun insurance:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun insurance
- Phrases with Insurance
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Insurance
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Insurance
- Photos about Insurance
- Videos about Insurance
- Quotes about Insurance
- Scrabble value of I1N1S1U1R1A1N1C3E1
- Anagrams of INSURANCE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun insurance
What does insurance mean as a name of something?
Insurance is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: insurances
- promise of reimbursement in the case of loss; paid to people or companies so concerned about hazards that they have made prepayments to an insurance company
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- more generic words: protection / security = defense against financial failure
- more specific terms:
- assurance = a British term for some kinds of insurance
- automobile insurance / car insurance = insurance against loss due to theft or traffic accidents
- business interruption insurance = insurance that provides protection for the loss of profits and continuing fixed expenses resulting from a break in commercial activities due to the occurrence of a peril
- coinsurance = insurance issued jointly by two or more underwriters
- fire insurance = insurance against loss due to fire
- group insurance = insurance that is purchased by a group (such as the employees of a company) usually at a reduced rate to individual members of the group
- hazard insurance = insurance that provides protection against certain risks such as storms or fires
- health insurance = insurance against loss due to ill health
- liability insurance = insurance that provides protection from claims arising from injuries or damage to other people or property
- life assurance / life insurance = insurance paid to named beneficiaries when the insured person dies
- malpractice insurance = insurance purchased by physicians and hospitals to cover the cost of being sued for malpractice
- reinsurance = sharing the risk by insurance companies
- self-insurance = insuring yourself by setting aside money to cover possible losses rather than by purchasing an insurance policy
- term insurance = low-cost insurance that is valid only for a stated period of time and has no cash surrender value or loan value
- written contract or certificate of insurance
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of insurance: insurance policy / policy
- more generic word: contract = a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
- more specific terms: floating policy / floater = an insurance policy covering loss of movable property (e.g. jewelry) regardless of its location
- protection against future loss
Alternative definition of the noun insurance
- A means of indemnity against a future occurrence of an uncertain event.
- The business of providing insurance.
- Metaphoric: Any attempt to anticipate an unfavorable event.
- Blackjack: A bet made after the deal, which pays off if the dealer has blackjack.
- [countable] An insurance policy
Specialised definition of the noun insurance
Glossary of finance / insurance
an agreement and the promise of compensation of holders and their beneficiaries in the event of death, loss of job, prolonged illness, disability, and property damage
The Insurance functional constituency is a functional constituency in the elections for the Legislative Council of Hong Kong first created in 1998. The constituency is restricted to only 144 insurers.
- also known as 保險界功能界別
- "Insurance" is a book by Thomas Emley Young.
- also known as "Insurance, a practical exposition for the student and business man"
- "Insurance" is a book by Albert H. Mowbray.
- also known as "Insurance: its theory and practice in the United States"
- Insurance a.k.a. Insurance Carriers is an industry.
- Insurance: Activities involved in the management of insurance for the university.
- Insurance: Type of financial assistance provided to assure reimbursement for losses sustained under specified conditions. Coverage may be provided directly by the Federal government or through private carriers and may or may not involve the payment of premiums.
Phrases with Insurance
Phrases starting with the word Insurance:
- insurance firm
- Insurance Goal
- insurance agent
- insurance claim
- Insurance fraud
- insurance broker
- insurance policy
- insurance company
Phrases ending with the word Insurance:
- car insurance
- Pet insurance
- Auto Insurance
- fire insurance
- life insurance
- term insurance
- group insurance
- Motor Insurance
- hazard insurance
- health insurance
- social insurance
View more phrases with the word Insurance in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Insurance
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Economics ... (1922)
by Frank Albert Fetter
Insurance is a guaranty of partial or complete indemnity against a financial loss that will result if an event of a specified kind occurs.
Map Your Financial Future (2006)
Starting the Right Path in Your Teens and Twenties by Patrick Lyons
life insurance is a temporary insurance policy.
Another drawback of term insurance is that if you are ever late with a premium payment, the policy will lapse and you will have to get a new policy, which may cause your premiums to increase ...
by J. H. PARTRIDGE
Insurance is an agreement, by the insurers or underwriters, to pay to the insured a stipulated sum, for the accidental loss of houses,
by Marshall Wilson Reavis III, PhD
vi PrefaCe Insurance is a method by which individuals, families and organizations can be protected from financial loss that...
First-party insurance is a system whereby the insurance coverage is provided and compensation is awarded directly by the...
Legacies for Libraries (2000)
A Practical Guide to Planned Giving by Amy Sherman Smith, Matthew D. Lehrer
Term insurance is the least expensive form of coverage for the short term. Permanent...
Variable life insurance refers to both whole life and universal life where the cash reserves are invested in securities, stocks, and bonds. This is great when ...
Tort Law and Economics (2009)
by Michael Faure
Introduction Insurance is a form of risk transfer, allowing the party initially bearing risk to shift it to another party more willing or able to bear it. Parties who are in the business oftaking on risk initially borne by others are insurers, those who ...
Play Blackjack (2014)
by Nicolae Sfetcu
Insurance is a side bet that the dealer has blackjack and is treated independently of the main wager. It pays 2:1 (meaning that the player receives two dollars for every dollar bet) and is available when the dealer's exposed card is an ace.
Internal Audit Basics by S. Rao Vallabhaneni
Insurance is an economic device whereby an individual or a corporation substitutes a small certain cost (the premium) for a large uncertain financial loss (the claim, or contingency insured against) that would exist if it were not for the ...
With an Appendix on Commercial Law by Richard W. Massey
Insurance is a contract whereby one party called the insurer obligates, for a consideration, to indemnify another, called...
Life insurance is a contract where the insurer agrees in consideration of certain premiums, usually to be paid annually, ...
Insurance is a risk mitigation strategy. It is defined as a contract that requires the insurer to pay for specific losses in exchange for receiving a certain premium from the insured. The insurance policyholder (insured) pays a fixed premium to the ...
Professional Nursing (2005)
Concepts, Issues, and Challenges by John Daly, RN, PhD, Sandra Speedy, RN, EdD, Debra Jackson, RN, PhD, Vickie Lambert, RN, DNSc, FAAN, Clinton Lambert, RN,PhD,CS,FAAN
Health insurance is the means by which individuals and families seek to ensure that health care costs can be met.
Friend Or Foe? by Alexander S. Preker, Richard M. Scheffler, Mark C. Bassett
The optimal insurance is a policy that has the level of cost sharing at which the representative household demands this...
by Marilyn Fordney
GUL insurance See group universal life (GUL) insurance. GULP See group universal life program (GULP). GV HCPCS Level II modifier that may be used with CPT or HCPCS Level II codes indicating attending physician was not employed or ...
by Melissa Samaroo
Q Quality assurance (Health Insurance) — The process of reviewing the quality of a product or service and taking measures to improve the quality. Quantity discount (Life Insurance) — A discount given to an individual or corporation upon ...
by Lawrence Silver, Robert E Stevens, Kenneth Clow
Insurance contracts are aleatory contracts and meet both conditions. The contract is executed when an unforeseen event takes place. Moreover, the insured may collect a sum much larger than the premium paid or may collect nothing for the ...
A Descriptive Record of the History, Theory and Practice of Al Branches of Insurance Throughout the World and from the Earliest Times to the Present Day ... by David W. Armstrong (the younger.), William Otis Badger (the younger.), Edwin Warren De Leon
A Descriptive Record of the History, Theory and Practice of Al Branches of Insurance Throughout the World and from the Earliest Times to the Present Day .. . David W. Armstrong (the younger.), William Otis Badger (the younger.), Edwin Warren ...
A Review of the proposals of the Albion Fire Insurance: also a continuation of the ... Globe's history, from where Mr. Stonestreet's ends. To these is added, a narrative of gross misbehaviour towards the public, in the British Critic ... on the subject of the appendix to the supplement to Johnson's Dictionary (1806)
by George MASON (of Aldenham, Herts.), afterwards STONESTREET GRIFFIN (George)
the insurance of such mansions a business to ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
toinsure, to get insured, ~ аюул insurable risk, ~ үнэvaluefor insurance, § модон барилгыг галаас~to insure a wooden building againstfire ДААТГУУЛАГЧ theinsured, the person effecting ...
AEtna, Granite State, Westchester, Royal Exchange, Newark Fire, Commercial Union, Assurance, , Queen, Insurance . Company of orth America, Providence- Washington, Caledonian, Agricultural, Norwich Union Fire Insurance. MEMBERS .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Insurance
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Insurance
Click on an item to view that photo:
The Provident building on East 6th Street.
Photo credit: M. David Morton
Photo credit: wonderferret
- Insurance billboard
Darwin must be turning in his grave
Photo credit: Christine Rondeau
- Prudential Insurance
The Pru building on Holborn
Photo credit: markhillary
- Insurance Agency Massachusetts
Photo credit: mac_addison
- Tour Insurance Certificate
Photo credit: Channy Yun
View more pictures about The Insurance.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Insurance
Click on an item to play that video:
- Insurance Vocabulary Review
- Spoken English Tutorial - Buying Insurance - Free Vocabulary Lessons
Buying insurance is not at all an easy task! It involves a lot of research and decision making. You need to talk to a lot of people before you decide what to buy.
- Explanation of common insurance terms
After making a video for a client Alan realizes that many of the terms he uses need further explanation.
- Definition of Insurance Subrogation : Basic Insurance Advice
- Definition of Business Insurance
Definition of Business Insurance. Part of the series: Overview Of Insurance. Business insurance, unlike personal insurance, protects the entity instead of the ...
- Contingency Insurance Definition : Insurance Questions
- Homeowner's Personal Property Insurance Definition : Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Definition for Auto Physical Damage Coverage
- Insurance Jargon
Have you ever had to make an insurance claim? Listening to the agents on the phone ramble all these technical terms off like you're supposed to understand?
- Mortgage Insurance Explanation - BSI
Jason Thompson, Senior Insurance Advisor at BSI Insurance Brokers Ltd explains the difference between a lender mortgage insurance policy and one that BSI ...
- Builders Risk Insurance Definition
- Full Coverage Insurance Definition
Full coverage insurance definition - to put it simply, there is no such thing as full coverage.
- Insurance Spares Definition
In this 2 Minute Tutorial Phillip Slater defines and discusses insurance spares, their main attributes and how they are different from other types of spare parts.
- Accidental Death Insurance Definition : Insurance Tips & Info
- Homeowners Insurance Definition
Homeowners Insurance Definition...
- What is Critical Illness Insurance (Best Explanation)
- Definition of D&O Insurance : Insurance Information
- Overview Of Insurance : Definition of Personal Insurance
Personal insurance covers an individual in the event of a few different things. Define personal insurance with help from an insurance professional in this free ...
- Swiftcover Insurance - Jargon Buster - No Claims
- Commercial Insurance Definition : Home & Business Insurance
See also the pronunciation examples of Insurance!
Quotes about Insurance
Actually lowering the cost of insurance would be accomplished by such things as making it harder for lawyers to win frivolous lawsuits against insurance companies. (Thomas Sowell)
more quotes about insurance...
Scrabble value of I1N1S1U1R1A1N1C3E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of INSURANCE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Insurance!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Insurance to see it in context!