The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun intelligence:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun intelligence and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun intelligence
- Phrases with Intelligence
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Intelligence
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Intelligence
- Photos about Intelligence
- Video language resources about Intelligence
- Sign language
- Quotes about Intelligence
- Scrabble value of I1N1T1E1L1L1I1G2E1N1C3E1
- Share this page
Intelligence is a member of the word family intelligent, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun intelligence
What does intelligence mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: intelligences
- the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- antonym: stupidity
- more generic words: ability / power = possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- more specific terms:
- learning ability / mental capacity / brainpower / mentality / brain / wit = mental ability
- comprehensiveness / largeness / breadth = the capacity to understand a broad range of topics
- intellect / mind = knowledge and intellectual ability
- nonverbal intelligence = intelligence that is manifested in the performance of tasks requiring little or no use of language
- verbal intelligence = intelligence in the use and comprehension of language
- mental quickness / quick-wittedness / quickness = intelligence as revealed by an ability to give correct responses without delay
- mental dexterity / nimbleness = intelligence as revealed by quickness and alertness of mind
- brilliance / genius = unusual mental ability
- precociousness / precocity = intelligence achieved far ahead of normal developmental schedules
- acuteness / sharpness / keenness / acuity = a quick and penetrating intelligence
- brightness / cleverness / smartness = intelligence as manifested in being quick and witty
- perspicaciousness / perspicacity / astuteness / shrewdness = intelligence manifested by being astute
- marbles / wits = the basic human power of intelligent thought and perception
- a unit responsible for gathering and interpreting information about an enemy
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of intelligence: intelligence agency / intelligence service
- more generic terms: administrative body / administrative unit = a unit with administrative responsibilities
- more specific terms:
- military intelligence agency / military intelligence = an agency of the armed forces that obtains and analyzes and uses information of strategic or tactical military value
- United States intelligence agency = an intelligence service in the United States
- United States Intelligence Community / National Intelligence Community / Intelligence Community / IC = a group of government agencies and organizations that carry out intelligence activities for the United States government
- international intelligence agency = an intelligence agency outside the United States
- secret information about an enemy (or potential enemy)
- example: we sent out planes to gather intelligence on their radar coverage
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of intelligence: intelligence information
- more generic words: info / information = a message received and understood
- more specific term: military intelligence = information about the armed forces of another country that is useful in planning and conducting military policy or military operations
- information about recent and important events
- the operation of gathering information about an enemy
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of intelligence: intelligence activity / intelligence operation
- more generic term: information gathering = the act of collecting information
- more specific terms:
- undercover work / spying = the act of keeping a secret watch for intelligence purposes
- current intelligence = intelligence of all types and forms of immediate interest
- tactical intelligence / combat intelligence = intelligence that is required for the planning and conduct of tactical operations
- strategic intelligence = intelligence that is required for forming policy and military plans at national and international levels
- signals intelligence / SIGINT = intelligence information gathered from communications intelligence or electronics intelligence or telemetry intelligence
- clandestine operation = an intelligence operation so planned and executed as to insure concealment
- overt operation = the collection of intelligence openly without concealment
- reconnaissance mission / reconnaissance = the act of reconnoitring
- counterintelligence = intelligence activities concerned with identifying and counteracting the threat to security posed by hostile intelligence organizations or by individuals engaged in espionage or sabotage or subversion or terrorism
Alternative definition of the noun intelligence
- [uncountable] Capacity of mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply it to practice; the ability to learn and comprehend.
- [countable] An entity that has such capacities.
- [uncountable] Information, usually secret, about the enemy or about hostile activities.
- [countable] A political or military department, agency or unit designed to gather such information.
- Intelligence is an American cyber-themed action-adventure television series that aired on CBS in the United States. It premiered on January 7, 2014, and on May 10, 2014, CBS canceled the show after only one season.
- also known as אינטלג'נס, 智能緝兇, Штучний інтелект, 超脑特工
- begun on and completed on
- 13 episodes of 43 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- created by John Dixon & Michael Seitzman
- regular cast:
- Meghan Ory as Riley O'Neil since
- Josh Holloway as Gabriel Black since
- Cas Anvar as Ibrahim since
- Michael Benyaer as Badri Adani since
- Shelli Bergh since
- John Billingsley as Dr. William Crispin since
- Ronnie Gene Blevins as Luther Vick since
- P. J. Byrne as Nelson since
- Rosalind Chao as Shen-Li Wang since
- Simon Chin as Huang Fu since
- Russ Bain as Tristan Bissette since
- Marg Helgenberger as Lillian Strand since
- Michael Rady as Chris Jameson since
- genres: Action Film, Adventure Film, Science Fiction
- Intelligence is a Vancouver-based television crime drama starring Ian Tracey and Klea Scott that aired on the CBC. With its pilot first airing on November 28, 2005, the series began regular broadcasting on October 10, 2006. CBC reaired the pilot on June 7, 2007 and began broadcasting reruns of season one on Fridays starting on June 8, 2007. A second season then aired from October 2007, concluding in December that same year. The series was produced by Haddock Entertainment, which also produced Da Vinci's Inquest and Da Vinci's City Hall.
- begun on and completed on (8 years ago)
- country: Canada
- created by Chris Haddock
- regular cast:
- genres: Crime Fiction, Action/Adventure, Adventure Film, Action, Drama
- some of the awards:
- Gemini Award for Best TV Movie nomination for Chris Haddock, Arvi Liimatainen, Carwyn Jones, Laura Lightbown, Stephen Surjik
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series nomination for Stephen Surjik
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series (Intelligence The Movie) nomination for Ian Tracey
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series (Intelligence The Movie) nomination for Klea Scott
- Gemini Award for Best Writing in a Dramatic Program or Mini-series (Intelligence The Movie) nomination for Chris Haddock
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Dramatic Series nomination for Arvi Liimatainen, Laura Lightbown, Chris Haddock
- Gemini Award for Best Writing in a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out) nomination for Chris Haddock
- Gemini Award for Best Picture Editing in a Dramatic Program or Series (Dante's Inferno) nomination for Lara Mazur
- Gemini Award for Best Sound in a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out) nomination for Gina Mueller, Craig Stauffer, Jeff Shannon, Miguel Nunes, Harley Paul
- Gemini Award for Best Original Music Score for a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out) nomination for Schaun Tozer
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role (Down But Not Out) nomination for Ian Tracey
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role (Down But Not Out) nomination for John Cassini
- Gemini Award for Best Achievement in Casting (Dante's Inferno) nomination for Melissa Perry & Lynne Carrow
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role (Where Good Men Die Like Dogs) nomination for Klea Scott
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out) nomination for Chris Haddock
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Series (Not a Nice Boy!) nomination for Stephen Surjik
- Gemini Award for Best Sound in a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out), received by Jeff Shannon, Harley Paul, Craig Stauffer, Gina Mueller, Miguel Nunes
- Gemini Award for Best Achievement in Casting (Dante's Inferno), received by Lynne Carrow & Melissa Perry
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Series (Down But Not Out), received by Chris Haddock
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Dramatic Series nomination for Chris Haddock, Arvi Liimatainen, Laura Lightbown
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Dramatic Series (We Were Here Now We Disappear) nomination for Stephen Surjik
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role (A Man is Framed) nomination for Camille Sullivan
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Guest Role Dramatic Series (The Heat Is On) nomination for Pascale Hutton
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role (A Dark Alliance) nomination for Ian Tracey
- Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television Award for Best Dramatic Series, received by Laura Lightbown, Arvi Liimatainen, Chris Haddock
- Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Guest Role Dramatic Series (The Heat Is On), received by Pascale Hutton
- official website: www.intelligencetv.com
- "Intelligence" is a short film starring Milo Ventimiglia, directed by Allen Martinez, played in a dozen festivals in 2006 and at 7 of these festivals such as Silver Lake Film Festival, MethodFest, LA ShortsFest and the Libertas Film Festival in Croatia. It won 5 awards and 3 nominations.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Michael-Ryan Fletchall
- executive producer: Allen Martinez
- written by Timothy Kernc
- Milo Ventimiglia as Colin Mathers
- Bill Bolender as Old Man
- Martin Gruber as Young Friedrich
- Thomas Mikusz as Gelhen
- Elly Jaresko as Ilse
- Veronica Alicino as Waitress
- Falk Hentschel as German Soldier #1
- Cameron King as German Soldier #2
- Ilya Eckstein as Russian Soldier #1
- Gleb Kaminer as Russian Soldier #2
- Alek Friedman as Russian Soldier #3
- Michael Scalzo as American Soldier #1
- Colin McLain Day as American Soldier #2
- Alastair Surprise as American Soldier #3
- Antonio Martinez as Man At Counter
- cinematography by Eric Trageser
- edited by Allen Martinez
- music by Robert Miller
- costume design by Tania Pacheco & Marta Villalobos
- genres: Thriller, Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Intelligence" is a 1999 drama directed and written by Kevin McMahon.
- "Intelligence" is a written work.
- author: Ian Deary
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Intelligence" is a book by Martin A. Fischler.
- also known as "Intelligence: the eye, the brain, and the computer"
- "Intelligence" is a book by Hans Eysenck.
- also known as "Intelligence: a new look"
- "Intelligence" is a book by Pierre Rousselot.
- also known as "Intelligence: sense of being, faculty of God"
- "Intelligence" is a book by P. A. Vroon.
- also known as "Intelligence: on myths and measurement"
There are many other writings with this title.
Intelligence is a Patience game which uses two decks of playing cards mixed together. It is basically a two-deck version of another solitaire game La Belle Lucie and its game play is somewhat closer to the parent game than its cousins House in the Wood and House on the Hill.
Intelligence a.k.a. I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. is a fictional character from the 2004 action comedy film Team America: World Police.
- read more about I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E.
- released in (21 years ago)
Intelligence a.k.a. The Intelligence is a lo-fi post-punk band from Seattle, founded by Lars Finberg, drummer of the A Frames.
- read more about The Intelligence
- Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving. It can also be more generally described as the ability to perceive and/or retain knowledge or information and apply it to itself or other instances of knowledge or information creating referable understanding models of any size, density, or complexity, due to any conscious or subconscious imposed will or instruction to do so.
- also known as Anlak, अंतश्चेतना
- Intelligence is a peer-reviewed academic journal of psychology that covers intelligence and psychometrics. It is published by Elsevier and is the official journal of the International Society for Intelligence Research.The journal was established in 1977 and the editor in chief is Douglas K. Detterman. As of 2010, it is publishing articles within an average of 10.6 weeks of acceptance.
- The Intelligence was a weekly newspaper published in Bowral, New South Wales in 1884.
Phrases with Intelligence
Phrases starting with the word Intelligence:
- intelligence cell
- intelligence test
- intelligence agent
- Intelligence Asset
- intelligence agency
- intelligence analyst
- intelligence officer
- intelligence service
- intelligence activity
- intelligence quotient
Phrases ending with the word Intelligence:
- army intelligence
- adult intelligence
- Fluid Intelligence
- combat intelligence
- verbal intelligence
- current intelligence
- signals intelligence
- terrain intelligence
- Adaptive Intelligence
- Business intelligence
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Intelligence
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
GKTecvision, Inc. by Karnati Kiran
(REATIVE INTELLIGENCE IS A PART OF INS PIRATION GKTECVISION, INC. KARNATI KIRAN (N) notionpress Notion Press First Published by Notion Press 2017 Copyright ©...
by Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, Sophie von Stumm, Adrian Furnham
Logical-mathematical intelligence refers to one's reasoning ability, logic, and numerical fluency.
Building Resilient Students (2002)
Integrating Resiliency Into What You Already Know and Do by Kate Thomsen
□ Verbal and linguistic intelligence is the capacity to use language, your own and others', to express your thoughts and to understand others' thoughts. A writer, orator, speaker, lawyer, or a person for whom language is an important stock ...
by Pavel Zahrádka, Renáta Sedláková
Mass intelligence is a simple, arbitrary sum of all of those traces, read and collected by a machine (a synthetic algorithm), quantified, packed as commodity and sold as a number of clicks, likes, displays, impressions etc. It doesn't deal with ...
by Kathleen Stassen Berger, Coast Learning Systems
Crystallized intelligence is the accumulation of facts, information, and knowledge that comes with education and experience within a particular culture. (p. 524; video lesson, segment 2; objective 1) 6. Analytic intelligence refers to mental ...
Igniting Creativity and Innovation Through Design Intelligence by Nikos Acuna
Design intelligence is the unique and optimal pattern that emerges through creativity and innovation. It's not to be...
Design intelligence means that an optimal state is inherent within—but only through measuring its present results. This is most clearly...
Design intelligence is an apparent potentiality. For instance , this book ...
Theories, Tests, and Issues by Dawn P. Flanagan, Patti L. Harrison
“Intelligence means organization of ideas, manifold interconnection of all those ideas which ought to enter into a unitary group...
“Intelligence is the power of using categories, it is knowledge of the relations of things.
Intelligence is an outward view of things, never reaching the actual reality...
by Richard O. Straub, Kathleen Stassen Berger
Crystallized intelligence is the accumulation of facts and knowledge that comes...
Practical intelligence refers to the intellectual skills used in everyday problem solving and is identified in Sternberg's theory. c. & d. These are two ...
101 Brain-Compatible Practices for Leaders by Michael H. Dickmann, Nancy Stanford-Blair, Anthea Rosati-Bojar
Intelligence is a physiological process: The capacity to learn and achieve operates on a biological platform of cells. circuits. and chemicals in the brain, It is a platform that is big. mind-body connected. high maintenance. and malleable. Virtually ...
Introductory Psychology (2012)
by R.B. Burns, C.B. Dobson
Intelligence is a concept which may mean all things to all men, and a plethora of definitions have been proposed from time to time, each with its...
by David Capuzzi
intelligence is a single, generalized (likely inherited) human ability that underlies all human functioning.
by Anthony Trewavas
Intelligence is the apt application of information, technique or structure to the situation of the individual. Adaptation is the apt application of...
by Robyn Walker
intrapersonal intelligence is a correlative ability to interpersonal intelligence. Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand other people: what motivates them, how they work, and how to work cooperatively ...
by Pravir K. Chawdhry, Rajkumar Roy, Raj K. Pant
Fluid intelligence is the ability to develop techniques for solving problems that are new and unusual, from the perspective of the problem solver. Crystallised intelligence is the ability to bring previously acquired, often culturally defined, ...
by Michael A. Turner
“National technical means” refers to the aggregate of technological methodologies for collecting intelligence information. Examples of national technical means are: intercepting diplomatic communications (signals intelligence—SIGINT), ...
by Glenmore S. Trenear-Harvey
AFESC Air Force Electronic Security Command AFOSI Air Force Office of Special Investigations AFSA Armed Forces Security Agency AFSS Air Force Security Service AIA Air Intelligence Agency ARIES Airborne Reconnaissance Integrated ...
by William J. Raynor, William Raynor
Although it has no understanding of the conversation, it is able give the appearance of intelligence by repeating back earlier assertions that contain key words in the form of ...
by Nigel West
West's dossier on Engels had been supplied to him by the local British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) station commander, Comdr. Philip Johns, who had run two double agents against him. The first was Hans von Kotze, a German aristocrat ...
by Rodney Carlisle
Wing and Squadron intelligence staff provide current intelligence briefings to the pilots, deliver contingency briefings during heightened activity and deployments, and build and maintain target folders. Squadron intelligence officers also debrief ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Intelligence
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Intelligence
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Artificial intelligence.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Intelligence
Click on an item to play that video:
- Intelligence Meaning
Video shows what intelligence means. Capacity of mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply it to ...
- Musical Intelligence: Definition, Experiments & Characteristics
1 - Elements of Music: Help and Review.
- The Meaning of Intelligence
Jerome Gregory, a Ladue High School senior has won 1st place in the oratory event at many debate competitions. Here's Jerome with a commentary on the ...
- Glaser The Definition of Conversational Intelligence
- Intelligence meaning and pronunciation
Something severely lacking on Urban Dictionary, for god sake at least know what you're talking about before you post a load of crap on here. Intelligence ...
- Learn Vocabulary and Pronunciation English Lesson 41: Intelligence
This new vocabulary and pronunciation lesson will help you learn new words through interesting lessons of a bizarre nature. Your host, Teacher Phil, is an ...
- Teaching Vocabulary multiple intelligence
- John Lewis, Ed D Explanation Age The Explanation Architecture for General Intelligence pt1of2
- Extensive Explanation of the Benefits of Opening Intelligence - 12.08.12
- PSYCH 525 Week 5 Individual Intelligence Definition and Meas
- PSYCH 525 Week 5 Individual Intelligence Definition and Measurement Pape
- Lecture 02 - Definition of Intelligent Ambients - Ambient Intelligence 2014
Definition and characteristics of Intelligent Ambients. Course: Ambient Intelligence, year 2014 Lecture: 02, date: 2014-03-06 Teacher: Fulvio Corno...
- John Lewis, Ed D - Explanation Age - The Explanation Architecture for General Intelligence pt2of2
- Explanation of Aritificial Intelligence Code using MATLAB
- Tim Tyler: Terminology for classifying machine intelligence
- Intelligence for purpose and meaning: foundations for achieving social impact
Dr Gianni Zappala and Anna Scott discuss some of the key ideas on Spiritual Intelligence (SQ) and its development over the last decade and a half at the launch ...
- Exploring Psych Ch 9 Thinking Language Intelligence
- Multiple Intelligence Activities for Middle School Language Arts : Teaching Language Arts & More
- Thinking Language and Intelligence
- Using the Wolfram Language for Retail Intelligence
View more Wolfram Language user stories here...
- On the Way to Language Intelligence - Francisco Webber [cortical.io] (2014 Fall NuPIC Hackathon)
Francisco talks about cortical.io's new REST API version 2.0 and all its capabilities.
- Medieval Art, Collective Intelligence, and Language Abuse - The Ethos of Distributed Systems
Medieval Art, Collective Intelligence, and Language Abuse - The Ethos of Distributed Systems This was the title of the talk given by Basho's Tyler Hannan at the ...
- Understand your target in any language with SDL Intelligence Solutions
With the Internet speaking hundreds of languages and English not being the main language on social media channels, Government Intelligence agencies need ...
- Joseph Romm: Language Intelligence and Rhetoric
Dr. Joseph Romm is the author of newly released title, "Language Intelligence: Lessons on persuasion from Jesus, Shakespeare, Lincoln, and Lady Gaga".
- Language for Life: Professional Opportunities in National Security and Intelligence
April 25, 2012 panel discussion on internship and career opportunities in U.S. intelligence and national security agencies for students with language and cultural ...
- ASCENT OF INTELLIGENCE Language and Brain-size [Robin Allott
In evolution intelligence has broadly increased in step with brain-size. For humans there has been a doubling in brain size in a relatively short period. The video ...
- Non-Verbal Intelligence: Body Language Success #CSIWorld 2012 Dr. "Jack" Brown
- ASCENT OF INTELLIGENCE Language & Brain-size 3 Robin Allott
Part of the explanation for the rapid growth in the size of the human brain is to be found in terms of the Baldwin effect through which culture and evolution interact ...
- ProSync Language / Intelligence Analysis Services
- Power Up Your Communication: vocal power and body language intelligence for professionals
View more videos about Fluid Intelligence, Intelligence agency, Adaptive Intelligence, Business intelligence, Intelligence quotient, Tactical Intelligence, Emotional intelligence, and Artificial intelligence.
See also the pronunciation examples of Intelligence!
DOWNLOAD PDF Nim A Chimpanzee Who Learned Sign Language Animal Intelligence Series
GET it b00ks/eB00ks HERE...
Quotes about Intelligence
But if one observes, one will see that the body has its own intelligence; it requires a great deal of intelligence to observe the intelligence of the body. (Krishnamurti)
more quotes about intelligence...
Scrabble value of I1N1T1E1L1L1I1G2E1N1C3E1
The value of this 12-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Intelligence to see it in context!