The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun investment:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun investment
- Phrases with Investment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Investment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Investment
- Photos about Investment
- Video language resources about Investment
- Quotes about Investment
- Scrabble value of I1N1V4E1S1T1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Investment is a member of the word family invest, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun investment
What does investment mean as a name of something?
Investment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: investments
- the act of investing; laying out money or capital in an enterprise with the expectation of profit
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of investment: investing
- more generic word: finance = the commercial activity of providing funds and capital
- more specific terms:
- money that is invested with an expectation of profit
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonym of investment: investment funds
- more generic word: assets = anything of material value or usefulness that is owned by a person or company
- more specific words: speculation / venture = an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits
- the commitment of something other than money (time, energy, or effort) to a project with the expectation of some worthwhile result
- outer layer or covering of an organ or part or organism
- the act of putting on robes or vestments
- the ceremonial act of clothing someone in the insignia of an office; the formal promotion of a person to an office or rank
Alternative definition of the noun investment
- A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its use.
- A mixture of silica sand and plaster which, by surrounding a wax pattern, creates a negative mold of the form used for casting, among other metals, bronze.
Specialised definition of the noun investment
Glossary of finance / investment
an instrument such as a certificate of deposit, bond, stock, or real estate that generates profits
"Investment" is a 2012 film directed by Ratnakar Matkari.
- country: India
- language: Marathi Language
- producer: Pratibha Matkari
- written by Ratnakar Matkari
- based on a story by Ratnakar Matkari
- cinematography by Amol Gole
- edited by Sagar Vanjari
- music by Madhav Vijay
- costume design by Veena Dabholkar & Supriya Vinod
- genres: Drama, Marathi cinema, World cinema
- released in
- award: - National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Marathi, received by Ratnakar Matkari & Pratibha Matkari
Phrases with Investment
Phrases starting with the word Investment:
- investment bank
- investment firm
- investment funds
- investment trust
- investment banker
- investment letter
- investment adviser
- investment advisor
- investment company
Phrases ending with the word Investment:
Other phrases containing the word Investment:
- unit investment trust
- fixed investment trust
- open-end investment company
- Collective Investment Scheme
- real estate investment trust
- closed-end investment company
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Investment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS (2012)
by E. NARAYANAN NADAR, S. VIJAYAN
Gross investment and net investment Gross investment refers to the total amount of expenditure made on new fixed capital...
In the Keynesian theory of employment and income, investment means net investment and not gross investment.
by Dr. G. Ramesh Babu
"Plan your work and work your plan " — Napolean Hill Introduction Investment: Investment is an economic activity. It stimulates the...
by Sunanda Sen
Investment is an inverse function of the domestic interest rate r, and since r is determined by the world rate, r* (given...
the interest rate equated to the global rate is a money market rate while the rate influencing investment is a long rate and, ...
Theory and Application by Hossein Askari, Zamir Iqbal, Abbas Mirakhor
Investment is the most volatile component of GDP (in part because of the volatility of interest rates and economic activity in the conventional economic system). Firms and households purchase investment goods; for example, households buy ...
by CTI Reviews
Foreign direct investment is a direct investment into production or business in a country by an individual or company of...
In economics, foreign portfolio investment is the entry of funds into a country where foreigners make purchases in the ...
Bringing Theory into Practice by Zachary Douglas, Joost Pauwelyn, Jorge E. Viñuales
a case is to be decided under the ICSID Convention the existence of an investment is a jurisdictional requirement under Article 25(1).
the investment is a deposit and the body...
Finance, Marriage, Lifestyle and Wellbeing by Aneina Danro
Property investment means you will be putting in a large sum of money, therefore the profit generated from selling it would also be more. One of the drawbacks of property investment is that you need to pay tax, and maintenance needs to be ...
Global Political Economy (2013)
Evolution and Dynamics by Robert O'Brien, Marc Williams
Foreign direct investment refers to investment made outside the home country of the investing company in which control over the resources transferred remains with the investor. It consists of a package of assets and intermediate goods such ...
How to Invest Today (1995)
A Beginner's Guide to the World of Investments by Lawrence Lynn
investment is that you will not be able to make your loan payments. “Liquidity risk” is that if you have to sell fast to raise cash, you may be forced to take a hit below current market value. “Interest rate risk” is that if interest rates increase, the ...
by Terry Barker
shows, gross investment is an important component of demand, accounting for approximately 17% of domestic final expenditure in 1981. Of this total, approximately 2.6 percentage points represented social-capital formation, ...
by Igor Sharshakov
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
INVESTMENT ADVISOR INVESTMENT ADVISOR: A person in the business of rendering advice or analysis regarding securities for compensation. Persons meeting this definition must register as advisers with the Securities and Exchange ...
by Greg N. Gregoriou
Prior to the offering date, the company (with the help of its legal and accounting advisors, investment bank, and if applicable, venture capital and private equity investors) prepares a prospectus that is sent to the Securities and Exchange ...
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
Supplementary Financial Services The differences between banks, credit unions, savings and loan mutual companies, credit card companies, investment brokerage companies, insurance companies, and other financial management ...
Volume 20 - Ethanol as Fuel: Options: Advantages, and Disadvantages to Exhaust Stacks: Cost by John J. McKetta Jr
These plants had increasingly larger capacity and steadily declining capital investment and production costs per unit of ethylene produced. The price history of butadiene and aromatics followed a similar pattern. The price of propylene. on ...
by Chwee Huat Tan
Hong Kong Investment Fund Association www.hkif.org.hk The Hong Kong Investment Fund Association (HKIFA) was formed in 1986 as an industry organization to promote Hong Kong as a major fund management centre in Asia. Its members ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Investment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Investment
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Investment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Benjamin Graham's Definition of an Investment
Breakdown of Benjamin Graham's definition of an investment from "The Intelligent Investor" - An investment operation is one which upon thorough analysis ...
- Down with Jargon! Know your Investment Terminology
- Investment Terminology: Bulls, Bears, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average
What is a bull market? Why is it called that? What's a bear market? Why is it a bear? What's the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 and what do they ...
- INVESTMENT VOCABULARY
- Meaning of Capital & Investment
Meaning of Capital & Investment.
- Investment Meaning
Video shows what investment means. The act of investing, or state of being invested.. A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its ...
- Accounting Definition for Recognized Gain : Investment & Finance Advice
- Finance & Investment Tips : Definition of Exchange Traded Funds
Exchange traded funds are defined as a hybrid financial product that is invested in a wider index. Learn how exchange traded funds have been packaged up ...
- Essential investment vocabulary
Essential investment vocabulary Based on materials...
- Stock Market : Definition of Stock Investment Accounts
A stock investment account is one in which the person who has opened the account plans to use the stock. Learn about the amount of margin that a company ...
- Finance & Investment Tips : Meaning of Finance
The word finance refers to matters of money, which is very important to the standard of living for an individual. Learn the meaning of finance, and understand it to ...
- Finance & Investment Tips : Definition of Being Bonded
Being bonded is a way for companies to financially ensure an individual is trustworthy, by placing a bond for the amount of responsibility that person has.
- Mutual Funds - Meaning, Launch, Types, Charges, Investment, SIP
Everything you want to know about Mutual Funds. Meaning, Launch, Types, Charges, Investment, SIP slides made by Pankaj Soni.
- Financial investment Meaning
Video shows what financial investment means. A deposit of money into a specified service or in the purchase of an item or commodity with the expectation that ...
- Definition of success by Tom Hyland, Co-Founder & Partner, Aspada Investment Advisors
Co-Founder and Partner of Aspada Investment Advisors, an early stage venture capital investor in agricultural supply chains, affordable healthcare delivery, ...
- Sthe terminology of investment
- Definition of a Mutual Fund's Short & Long-Term Holding Period : Investment & Insurance Questions
- Investment Basics : Definition of Junk Stock
Junk stocks are stocks that don't really have a place anywhere, although junk stocks can occasionally deliver great returns. Learn about junk stocks and their ...
- Definition Investment Information (zainoor asyura)
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = European Investment Fund
- Investment and land use experts look for common language at Landscapes Forum
Investment bankers and fund managers met with agriculture and forestry researchers, representatives from advocacy groups and government agencies at the ...
- SAD Use case Description Group 9 (Produce Hardware Investment Report)
Submitted by: 3ITB - Group 9 - Produce Hardware Investment Report Stephanie Tuvera (Use Case Name - Stakeholders) Hazen Rayos (Levels - Trigger...
- [ESL Tutorials] Investing in your child's early education is an investment in you bank account
How do you feel about the big push toward early education? Are you overwhelmed by all of the preschool options, deterred by the additional expense, and ...
- Why Early Language Learning is the best investment into a childs future.
IZABELA JAROS, MA The Jan Kochanowski University of Humanities and Sciences in Kielce Institute of School Education Poland IZABELA JAROS, MA The Jan ...
- NAFTA investment carve out language submitted by banker Wells Maineapril 15 284
- Description workshop at Risk Investment Day of Morningstar by Freddy van Mulligen
- Investment Book Review: Microeconomics as a Second Language by Martha L. Olney
- Why Early Language Learning is the best investment into a childs future.
- Description of Addis Wesley Type of Investment
- Job Description Of An Investment Broker
See also the pronunciation examples of Investment!
Quotes about Investment
But a lot of businesses out there don't see the return on investment, they look at it as a liability, and until they can understand that proactive security actually returns, gives them a return on investment, it's still a hard sell for people. (Kevin Mitnick)
more quotes about investment...
Scrabble value of I1N1V4E1S1T1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Investment to see it in context!