On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ionia
What does ionia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- region of western Asia Minor colonized by ancient Greeks
- Ionia is an ancient region of central coastal Anatolia in present-day Turkey, the region nearest İzmir, which was historically Smyrna. It consisted of the northernmost territories of the Ionian League of Greek settlements. Never a unified state, it was named after the Ionian tribe who, in the Archaic Period, settled mainly the shores and islands of the Aegean Sea. Ionian states were identified by tradition and by their use of Eastern Greek.
- also known as 愛奧尼亞
- Ionia is the largest city in, and the county seat of, Ionia County, Michigan, United States. The population was 11,394 at the 2010 census. Every late July it hosts what is said to be the world's largest free-admission fair. The city is mostly within Ionia Township, with small portion extending into Easton Township and Berlin Township, but is politically autonomous of the townships.
- Ionia is a city in Chickasaw County, Iowa, United States. The population was 291 at the 2010 census.
- Ionia is a village in Benton and Pettis counties in the U.S. state of Missouri. The population was 88 at the 2010 census.
- Ionia is a former municipality on the island of Chios, North Aegean, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Chios, of which it is a municipal unit. It is located in the southeastern part of the island, and has a land area of 48.272 km². Its population was 4,650 at the 2001 census. The seat of the municipality was in Kallimasia. Its largest town is Nénita. Other large towns are Tholopotámi and Katarráktis.
- also known as Ionia, Chios
- part of Greece
- Ionia is a frame house near Trevilians, Virginia, that was the centerpiece of a large plantation in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Built around 1775, Ionia was the home of the Watson family. It was built as Clover Plains by Major James Watson, the son of a Scottish immigrant, in a fertile area of Louisa County, Virginia that is now a National Historic Landmark District, the Green Springs National Historic Landmark District. The plantation was the third largest in Louisa County in the late 18th century, leading to the nickname "Wheat Stacks" for Watson as a result of his prosperity. After Major Watson's death in 1845 the house passed to his son, Dr. George Watson, who renamed the house "Ionia" and, since he lived in Richmond, used it as a summer residence. George Watson died in 1854, leaving Ionia to his widow, who lived there until the 1870s. Following her death in 1879 the property was subdivided. The Watson family went on to build a number of houses in the Green Springs area.
- Ionia a.k.a. Ionia, Kansas: Ionia is an unincorporated community in Ionia Township, Jewell County, Kansas.
- read more about Ionia, Kansas
There are other places with in their name, like Nea Ionia.
- "Ionia" is the third studio album by the American Dark Wave band Lycia, released on 1991 through Projekt Records.
- "Ionia" is a musical album of Serenades.
- released in (16 years ago)
- Ionia: Yauna or Ionia, was a satrapy of the Achaemenid Empire. The first mention of the Yauna is at the Behistun inscription. The Ionians were conquered by Cyrus the Great and according to Herodotus, they were placed in the same tax district as the Pamphylians, Lycians, Magnesians, Aeolians, Milyans, and Carians. The Yauna benefitted from Persian occupation as the eastern Mediterranean was ruled by one king, which made trade easier. Thus, poverty could not be an explanation for the great Ionian Revolt in 499, which took six years to subdue.
- Ionia is an island city-state off the east coast of mainland Valoran, northeast of Noxus.
Phrases with Ionia
- Gisara Ionia
- Pammene Ionia
- Pseudepipona Ionia
- Aphaenogaster ionia
- Crematogaster Ionia
- Species Gisara Ionia
- Species Pammene Ionia
- Species Aphaenogaster Ionia
- Species Crematogaster Ionia
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ionia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by CTI Reviews
Ionia is an ancient region of central coastal Anatolia in presentday Turkey, the region nearest Izmir, which was historically Smyrna. It consisted of the northernmost territories of the Ionian League ofGreek settlements. Nevera unified state, it ...
by CTI Reviews
Ionia is an ancient region ...
by CTI Reviews
Ionia: Ionia is an ancient region of central coastal Anatolia in presentday Turkey, the region nearest Izmir, which was historically Smyrna. It consisted of the northernmost territories of the Ionian League of Greek settlements. Never a unified ...
Destiny Star (2011)
One sword, one man, one planet, and the Destiny of all in existence hang in the balance as Brock’s fate is decided through the winds of Friendship, Love and Determination. by David Hackney
Port Ionia is the largest city on the continent ofKolossus. It is a city filled with large towering buildings, the tallest of which is the Radical tower. It's a sky scraperthree -hundred stories high and owned by the richest man in the history ofJido, ...
Branding European Cities and Regions by Gregory Ashworth, Mihalis Kavaratzis
By contrast, Nea Ionia is a small area, with limited tourism. Furthermore, Nea Ionia lacks a strategic planning process, which is the basis of an effective place marketing plan. Secondly, Pafos follows a national tourism policy. Cyprus is a small ...
A Historical Interpretation of the World by Gordon Garrett, Gordon Garrett B.A.
Ionia is a piece of land attached to the western shore of Anatolia (which is now Turkey; at that time Anatolia had become part of the Persian Empire). The area was home to many philosophers, some that stood out in the development of ...
An Introduction with Texts and Commentary by Richard D. McKirahan
The distinctive Milesian approach was also pursued in the sixth and fifth centuries by philosophers who, although not from Miletus, tended to have Ionian connections, notably Anaxagoras and Democritus. (Ionia is the district comprising the ...
Istanbul City Guide (2014)
Best Places Of Istanbul by Halis Kutlu
Ionia is an ancient kingdom of 12 cities in western Anatolia whereas each ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
IONIA, a country of Asia Minor, bounded on ...
IONIA, a country of Asia Minor, bounded on the north by Æolia, on the west by the AEgean and Itarian seas, on the south by Caria, and on the east by Lydia and part of Caria. It was founded by colonies from Greece and particularly Attica, ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1817)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature ...
IONIA, a country of Afia Minor, bounded on the north by Æolia, on the west by the AEgean and Icarian seas, on the south by Caria, and on the east by Lydia and part of Caria. It was founded by colonies from Greece and particularly Attica, ...
A Classical Dictionary ... A new edition, revised and considerably enlarged, by the Rev. T. Smith (1839)
IONIA, a country of Asia Minor, bounded on the north by Æolia, on the west by the AEgaean and Icarian Seas, on the south by Caria, and on the east by Lydia and part of Caria. . It was peopled by colonies }. Greece, and particularly from Attica, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ionia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ionia
Click on an item to view that photo:
Tug "Ionia" at East-the Water Quay, Barnstaple, 06/07.
Photo credit: hugh llewelyn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Ionia
Video shows what Ionia means. An Ancient Greek settlement on the west coast of Asia Minor inhabited by the Ionians, one of the four main Hellenic tribes.
View more videos about Nea Ionia.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ionia!
Scrabble value of I1O1N1I1A1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of IONIA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Ionia!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ionia to see it in context!