The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ire:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ire
What does ire mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ires
- a strong emotion; a feeling that is oriented toward some real or supposed grievance
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of ire: anger / choler
- more generic word: emotion = any strong feeling
- more specific terms:
- madness / fury / rage = a feeling of intense anger
- infuriation / enragement = a feeling of intense anger
- offence / offense / umbrage = a feeling of anger caused by being offended
- indignation / outrage = a feeling of righteous anger
- huffiness = a passing state of anger and resentment
- hackles / dander = a feeling of anger and animosity
- bad temper / ill temper = a persisting angry mood
- annoyance / vexation / chafe = anger produced by some annoying irritation
- belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins)
Alternative definition of the noun ire
- [context: literary, poetic] Great anger; wrath; keen resentment.
- synonym: fury
Definition of the verb ire
What does ire mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ired | iring | ires
- [transitive] To anger; to fret; to irritate.
- Ire a.k.a. Irene Montrucchio is a Spanish competitor in synchronized swimming. She won a bronze medal in team competition at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- read more about Irene Montrucchio
- Ire a.k.a. Irena A. Hoffman is an actress.
- read more about Irena A. Hoffman (actress)
Ire is a musical group.
- album: "I Discern an Overtone of Tragedy in Your Voice"
"Ire" is a musical album of Parkway Drive.
- released on
- IRE: An IRE is a unit used in the measurement of composite video signals. Its name is derived from the initials of the Institute of Radio Engineers.
- Ire a.k.a. Iresim Language: Yeresiam is an Austronesian language in the putative Cenderawasih of Indonesian Papua. It is not closely related to other languages.
- also known as Yerisiam, Beduba, Yeresiam language
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ire
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Roger Williams, Simon D. Taylor-Robinson
IRE is a method to induce irreversible disruption of cell membrane integrity resulting in cell death without the need for...
Moreover, because IRE is a non- thermal technique, there appears to be complete ablation to the margin of blood vessels ...
Imaging in Clinical Oncology (2013)
by Athanassios Gouliamos, John A. Andreou, Paris A. Kosmidis
Irreversible Electroporation (IRE) IRE is a nonthermal ablation. The theory behind it is that AC...
A Journal of Art and Actuality
Ire is the leading spirit (in more than one sense of the word) of that excellent institution, the Ilouse of Commons Point-to-Point Steeplechase. Loan SELBORNE Asp Loan ('RANBORNI'L especially the latter when in South Africa, have often ...
Photoshop for Video (2012)
by Richard Harrington
IRE is the unit of measurement set forth by the Society of Motion Picture Television Engineers (SMPTE) that measures the overall brightness of your analog video signal. 100 IRE is pure white, 0 IRE is black. JPEG The Joint Photographic ...
Riding the Range (2006)
by Justin Spelvin, McPaul Smith, Artifact Group, The
ire is a bandit X >., f| , and '' UNIQUA PABLO TASHA put.
His Divine Pymander by Paschal B. Randolph
[iRE is the original Cause ; the Sun is that ; so is Air ; so is the Moon ; such, too, is that pure Brahm, and those waters, and that Lord of creatures. Moments and other measures of time proceeded from that effulgent Person, whom none can ...
Including ... I. An Explanation of Difficult Words and Technical Terms ... II. A Pronouncing Dictionary ... : to the Whole is Added a Chronological Series of Remarkable Events ... by James Barclay (Curate of Edmonton.)
ire is a kind of artificial ...
In which the Words are Not Only Rationally Divided Into Syllables, Accurately Accented, Their Part of Speech Properly Distinguished and Their Various Significations Arranged in One Line; But, Likewise, by a Key to this Work ... it Exhibits Their True Pronunciation ... To which is Prefixed, a Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. To the Whole are Added, the Scripture Proper Names in the Old and New Testaments, Names of the Principal Cities, Rivers, Mountains, &c. in the Known World: Also, the Ancient and Modern Poets, Philosophers, and Statesmen, &c. ... by William Perry
- Effect'ire Able to produce; useful; serviceable, a. In-effect'ice Producing no effect, a. In-sect'ire Able to infect, a. Per- sect'ice Conducive to perfection, a. Object'ire Proposed as an object, a. Adjec-tive What is ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
IRE. 5 Grand Jury IRELAND. whicli claimed the bounty, did not .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ire
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ire
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: IREONE
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Ire
Video shows what ire means. Iron.. ire synonyms: fury, rage, wrath. ire pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. ire meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ire!
Quotes about Ire
Every ant has its ire.
more quotes about ire...
Scrabble value of I1R1E1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of IRE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Ire!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ire to see it in context!