The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ism:
On this page:
Definition of the noun ism
What does ism mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: isms
- a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of ism: doctrine / philosophical system / philosophy / school of thought
- more generic word: belief = any cognitive content held as true
- more specific terms:
- nuclear deterrence = the military doctrine that an enemy will be deterred from using nuclear weapons as long as he can be destroyed as a consequence
- Kabbalism / Cabalism = the doctrines of the Kabbalah
- abolitionism = the doctrine that calls for the abolition of slavery
- absolutism = the doctrine of an absolute being
- amoralism = the doctrine that moral distinctions are invalid
- animalism = the doctrine that human beings are purely animal in nature and lacking a spiritual nature
- animism = the doctrine that all natural objects and the universe itself have souls
- antiestablishmentarianism / antiestablishmentism = the doctrine of opposition to the social and political establishment
- asceticism = the doctrine that through renunciation of worldly pleasures it is possible to achieve a high spiritual or intellectual state
- contextualism = any doctrine emphasizing the importance of the context in solving problems or establishing the meaning of terms
- creationism = the literal belief in the account of Creation given in the Book of Genesis
- credo / creed = any system of principles or beliefs
- divine right of kings / divine right = the doctrine that kings derive their right to rule directly from God and are not accountable to their subjects
- dogma = a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative
- dualism = the doctrine that reality consists of two basic opposing elements, often taken to be mind and matter (or mind and body), or good and evil
- dynamism = any of the various theories or doctrines or philosophical systems that attempt to explain the phenomena of the universe in terms of some immanent force or energy
- epicureanism = a doctrine of hedonism that was defended by several ancient Greek philosophers
- establishmentarianism / establishmentism = the doctrine of supporting the social or political establishment
- ethicism = a doctrine that ethics and ethical ideas are valid and important
- expansionism = the doctrine of expanding the territory or the economic influence of a country
- formalism = the doctrine that formal structure rather than content is what should be represented
- functionalism = any doctrine that stresses utility or purpose
- Girondism = the doctrine of the Girondists
- gospel = a doctrine that is believed to be of great importance
- gymnosophy = the doctrine of a sect of Hindu philosophers who practiced nudity and asceticism and meditation
- imitation = the doctrine that representations of nature or human behavior should be accurate imitations
- individualism / laissez faire = the doctrine that government should not interfere in commercial affairs
- internationalism = the doctrine that nations should cooperate because their common interests are more important than their differences
- unilateralism = the doctrine that nations should conduct their foreign affairs individualistically without the advice or involvement of other nations
- irredentism / irridentism = the doctrine that irredenta should be controlled by the country to which they are ethnically or historically related
- literalism = the doctrine of realistic (literal) portrayal in art or literature
- majority rule / democracy = the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
- monism = the doctrine that reality consists of a single basic substance or element
- multiculturalism = the doctrine that several different cultures (rather than one national culture) can coexist peacefully and equitably in a single country
- nationalism = the doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other
- nationalism = the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
- nihilism = a revolutionary doctrine that advocates destruction of the social system for its own sake
- pacificism / passivism / pacifism = the doctrine that all violence is unjustifiable
- pluralism = the doctrine that reality consists of several basic substances or elements
- populism = the political doctrine that supports the rights and powers of the common people in their struggle with the privileged elite
- presentism = the doctrine that the Scripture prophecies of the Apocalypse (as in the Book of Revelations) are presently in the course of being fulfilled
- freethinking / rationalism = the doctrine that reason is the right basis for regulating conduct
- reformism = a doctrine of reform
- secular humanism / humanism = the doctrine emphasizing a person's capacity for self-realization through reason
- humanitarianism / humanism = the doctrine that people's duty is to promote human welfare
- equalitarianism / egalitarianism = the doctrine of the equality of mankind and the desirability of political and economic and social equality
- feminism = a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women
- reincarnationism = a doctrine that on the death of the body the soul migrates to or is born again in another body
- secessionism = a doctrine that maintains the right of secession
- secularism = a doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations
- phenomenology = a philosophical doctrine proposed by Edmund Husserl based on the study of human experience in which considerations of objective reality are not taken into account
- philosophical doctrine / philosophical theory = a doctrine accepted by adherents to a philosophy
- states' rights = a doctrine that federal powers should be curtailed and returned to the individual states
- commandment / teaching / precept = a doctrine that is taught
- theological doctrine = the doctrine of a religious group
- utilitarianism = doctrine that the useful is the good; especially as elaborated by Jeremy Bentham and James Mill
- descriptivism = a doctrine supporting or promoting descriptive linguistics
- descriptivism = a doctrine holding that moral statements have a truth value
- prescriptivism = a doctrine supporting or promoting prescriptive linguistics
- prescriptivism = a doctrine holding that moral statements prescribe appropriate attitudes and behavior
- religious doctrine / church doctrine / gospel / creed = the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group
- millennium = in Revelations it is foretold that those faithful to Jesus will reign with Jesus over the earth for a thousand years; the meaning of these words have been much debated
Alternative definition of the noun ism
- A belief that can be described by a word ending in -ism.
- Specifically, a form of discrimination, such as racism or sexism.
Ism a.k.a. Kissimmee Gateway Airport, formerly known as Kissimmee Municipal Airport, is a public airport in Kissimmee, a city in Osceola County, Florida, United States. The airport is located 16 nautical miles southwest of the central business district of Orlando. It is owned and operated by the City of Kissimmee.
- Ism is an East Coast-based alternative rock quartet founded in New York City in 2004. It combines elements of melodic rock, electronic, trip-hop, and industrial music.
- Ism is a musical group.
- Ism is a musical group.
- album: "Battered"
There are other groups with in their name, like G-Ism & Cool Nutz.
- "ISM" is the sixth album by Norwegian electronic dance music producer Aleksander Vinter, and his fourth under the alias "Savant". It was released on 9 September 2012.
- "Ism" a.k.a. "_ism" is a musical album of JBK.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "ism" is a musical album of PAMELAH.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "ISM" is a musical album of SoulJa & Jane Siberry.
- released on
- "ISM" is a musical album of Smegma.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "ism" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by 小澤正澄
- "ISM" is a musical album of Smut Peddlers.
- Ism a.k.a. -ism is a suffix in many English words, originally derived from Ancient Greek -ισμός, reaching English through Latin, via French.
- also known as 主义
- ISM a.k.a. ISM band: The industrial, scientific and medical radio bands are radio bands reserved internationally for the use of radio frequency energy for industrial, scientific and medical purposes other than telecommunications. Examples of applications in these bands include radio-frequency process heating, microwave ovens, and medical diathermy machines. The powerful emissions of these devices can create electromagnetic interference and disrupt radio communication using the same frequency, so these devices were limited to certain bands of frequencies. In general, communications equipment operating in these bands must tolerate any interference generated by ISM equipment, and users have no regulatory protection from ISM device operation.
- read more about ISM band
- Ism a.k.a. Masimasi Language: Masimasi is a nearly extinct Austronesian language spoken on an offshore island of Papua, Indonesia.
- Ism is a file format.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ism
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Hamid Dabashi
PReLUDe Shi'ism is a festive gathering, a festival, a feast, a constellation of moral manners, a commitment, a conviction,
Shi'ism is the shimmering memory of an event, a dream, a single traumatic incident, condemned forever to try to ...
Early Muslim Dogma (1981)
A Source-Critical Study by Michael Cook
At the same time, the traditions in the Masffil show a tendency to emphasise that Murji'ism is a late development.
Davidson, Hermeneutics, and Pragmatism by Kalle Puolakka
Humpty Dumpty- ism is the view that regards the two as identical to each other.
The World is My Home (2017)
A Hamid Dabashi Reader by Andrew Davison
Shi'ism is a religion of protest. It can never succeed. As soon as it...
The key operative concept constitutional to Shi'ism is that of mazlumiyyat, “having been wronged,” or “having been tyrannized.” The paradigmatic expression of this key ...
by Jean Tannis Dennerll, Phyllis E. Davis
Crypt/orchid/ism means undescended testicle. crypt means hidden. When a testicle is hidden in the abdominal cavity, the condition is known as / / crypt/orchid/ism krip tôr' kid izәm . 6.48 A crypt/ic remark is one with a ...
The Twilight of Atheism (2007)
The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World by Alister McGrath
ism is the rebellion of son against father. This powerful personal quest for identity is often linked with the l't'j(*CfiUll of the father's beliefs. In the high noon of atheism, this story often took the form of the rebellion of an atheist son against the ...
A Beginner's Guide by Homa Katouzian
Shi'ism is the sect of Islam that was born out of the dispute over the succession of the Prophet, and which later developed other important differences to the majority sect of the Sunnis. The Shi'a believed (as they still do) that Ali was the rightful ...
The Cultural Cold War (2013)
The CIA and the World of Arts and Letters by Frances Stonor Saunders
It is consequently intractably opposed to totalitarianism of whatever kind, for totalitarian- ism is the very negation of these conditions.” 33 This same statement had deplored “the plain and shameful fact that, even today, Communists and ...
by Selcuk Aksin Somel
Its syncretistic character turned Bektasi-ism into a religious order liberal in its practices and tolerant of other beliefs. As a movement it originated from Babai- ism and the Haydari order; it was developed by Abdal Musa and Balim Sultan into an ...
For Information and Communication Technologies and Related Areas by J. Vlietstra
ISE ISE ISEE ISEM ISEP ISEQ ISESS ISF ISF ISF ISFD ISFM ISFMS ISFO ISFUG ISG ISG ISH ISH ISHM ISI ISI ISI ISI ISIC ISIC ISIL ISIS ISIS ISIS ISIS ISIS ISITC ISK ISK ISL ISL ISL ISL ISL ISL ISLM ISLN ISLS ISLU ISM International Society for ...
by Dean A. Stahl, Karen Landen
Neo-Catholic(ism) Neo-Christ Neo-Christian(ity) neoclas neoclassical; neoclassicism neocol neocolonial(ism) neocolim neocolonial-colonial-imperialist Neo-Conf Neo-Confucian(ist) neo-con(s) neo-conservative(s) Neo-Dar Neo- Darwinian; ...
by David Robertson
ism. Institutional racism as a term entered everyday political and journalistic.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ism
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ism
Click on an item to view that photo:
aren't you tired of every scandal being labelled, "gate". it was almost 40 years ago, give it a rest
Photo credit: marc falardeau
- SKY ISM
Photo credit: overdrive_cz
- ISM Overdrive
Photos taken during weekend in Olomouc with Mia, Hiena and Cryystal
Photo credit: overdrive_cz
- Mexico : ISM
Photo credit: overdrive_cz
Photo credit: pierre bédat
- Alien consumer ism
Posted by Second Life Resident Torley Olmstead. Visit MediaCity UK.
Photo credit: ▓▒░ TORLEY ░▒▓
- ISM, Arusha
Photo credit: romanboed
- Michael Shaik, ISM
Photo credit: The Advocacy Project
- ISM Confectionery Fair
Photo credit: faceymcface1
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Ism
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ism Meaning
Video shows what ism means. An ideology, system of thought, or practice that can be described by a word ending in -ism.. Specifically, a form of discrimination, ...
- Yusuf Estes - ISM P1 S2 : The Meaning of The Words Islam & Science
ISLAM, SCIENCE & MEDICINE - Part 1 Lecture No 8 The Malaysian Tour 2008.
- Testimonials - ISM ESL School
- Present Perfect & Past Simple - ISM ESL School
Present Perfect talks about finished actions at unspecified times in the past, and uses GENERAL time expressions. To say specific times, use Past Simple with ...
- ESL Vocab Game: Stop The Bus! - ISM ESL School
- ISM Kerala Islamic Seminar On Makthi Thangal; Language - Literature - Renaissance
ISM Kerala Islamic Seminar On Makthi Thangal; Language - Literature - Renaissance.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ism!
Quotes about Ism
I wanted the press to become something of a movement. Not a movement committed to a particular ""ism,"" but a gathering together of writers with an aesthetic approach to literature and with a lust for excellence. (John Metcalf)
more quotes about ism...
Scrabble value of I1S1M3
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ISM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Ism!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ism to see it in context!