The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun Israelite:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun israelite
- Definition of the adjective israelite
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Israelite
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Israelite
- Photos about Israelite
- Video about Israelite
- Scrabble value of I1S1R1A1E1L1I1T1E1
- Anagrams of ISRAELITE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun israelite
What does israelite mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: Israelites
- a native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Israel
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic words: Asian / Asiatic = a native or inhabitant of Asia
- more specific word: Samaritan = a member of the people inhabiting Samaria in biblical times
- member of: Israel = an ancient kingdom of the Hebrew tribes at the southeastern end of the Mediterranean Sea
- a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of Israelite: Hebrew / Jew
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- Ashkenazi = a Jew of eastern European or German descent
- Conservative Jew = Jew who keeps some requirements of Mosaic law but adapts others to suit modern circumstances
- Essene = a member of an ascetic Jewish sect around the time of Jesus
- Jewess = a woman who is a Jew
- sheeny / hymie / kike / yid = offensive term for a Jew
- Levite = a member of the Hebrew tribe of Levi
- Orthodox Jew = Jew who practices strict observance of Mosaic law
- Pharisee = a member of an ancient Jewish sect noted for strict obedience to Jewish traditions
- Reform Jew = liberal Jew who tries to adapt all aspects of Judaism to modern circumstances
- Sadducee = a member of an ancient Jewish sect around the time of Jesus
- Sephardic Jew / Sephardi = a Jew who is of Spanish or Portuguese or North African descent
- Wandering Jew = a legendary Jew condemned to roam the world for mocking Jesus at the Crucifixion
- Zealot = a member of an ancient Jewish sect in Judea in the first century who fought to the death against the Romans and who killed or persecuted Jews who collaborated with the Romans
- Zionist = a Jewish supporter of Zionism
- member of: Jewry = Jews collectively
Alternative definition of the noun israelite
- A native or inhabitant of the (1) united nation of Israel (under the Judges, and then kings Saul, David and Solomon), or (2) the later northern kingdom centered in Samaria, distinct from kingdom of Judah centered in Jerusalem.
- A member of the Twelve Tribes of Israel and a descendant of Jacob.
Definition of the adjective israelite
What does israelite mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of or pertaining to the ancient nation(s) of Israel, their inhabitants, or to the descendants of the patriarch Jacob.
Israelite a.k.a. The Israelites were a Semitic people of the Ancient Near East, who inhabited part of Canaan during the tribal and monarchic periods, and lived in the region in smaller numbers after the fall of the monarchy. The term "Israelites" is the English term for the Hebrew biblical term Bnei Yisrael which properly translates as either "Sons of Israel" or "Children of Israel", and refers both to the direct descendants of the patriarch Jacob as well as to the historical populations of the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah. In the post-exilic period, beginning in the 5th century BCE, the two known remnants of the Israelite tribes came to be referred to as Jews and Samaritans, inhabiting the territories of Judea, Galilee and Samaria. Other terms sometimes used include the "Hebrews" and the "Twelve Tribes".
- read more about Israelites
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Israelite
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The true Israelite is a man renovated within. And the man renovated within, is the true Israelite, — the true carrying out of the great idea which this term designates. It was always mainly so; and is emphatically so under the new dispensation.
by Steven Kepnes
“The Israelite is a son of ...
by Bill T. Arnold, H. G. M. Williamson
Scholars who view the biblical text as historical have approached the issue of Israelite settlement and conquest in a variety of ways. Most fall under one of two research approaches. The first approach is taken by those who propose that the ...
by G. Johannes Botterweck, Helmer Ringgren
Caquot, "Israelite Perceptions of Wisdom and Strength in the Light of the Ras Shamra Texts," Israelite Wisdom. Festschrift S. Terrien (Missoula, 1978), 25-33; H. Fredriks- son, Jahwe als ...
by Dan Cohn-Sherbok
Israelite Zealot leader.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Israelite
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Israelite
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Derek N Winterburn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Israelite
Video shows what Israelite means. A native or inhabitant of the (1) united nation of Israel (under the Judges, and then kings Saul, David and Solomon), or (2) the ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Israelite!
Scrabble value of I1S1R1A1E1L1I1T1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ISRAELITE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Israelite!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Israelite to see it in context!