The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun jape:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun jape
- Definition of the verb jape
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Jape
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Jape
- Photos about Jape
- Video about Jape
- Quotes about Jape
- Scrabble value of J8A1P3E1
- Anagrams of JAPE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun jape
What does jape mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: japes
- a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter
- example: even a schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of jape: gag / jest / joke / laugh
- more generic words: humor / humour / wit / witticism / wittiness = a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
- more specific terms:
- thigh-slapper / sidesplitter / belly laugh / howler / scream / riot / wow = a joke that seems extremely funny
- dirty story / blue story / dirty joke / blue joke = an indelicate joke
- ethnic joke = a joke at the expense of some ethnic group
- funny remark / funny story / good story / funny = an account of an amusing incident
- in-joke = a joke that is appreciated only by members of some particular group of people
- one-liner = a one-line joke
- shaggy dog story = a long rambling joke whose humor derives from its pointlessness
- sick joke = a joke in bad taste
- visual joke / sight gag = a joke whose effect is achieved by visual means rather than by speech
- part: laugh line / punch line / gag line / tag line = the point of a joke or humorous story
Alternative definition of the noun jape
- a joke
Definition of the verb jape
What does jape mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: japed | japing | japes
- to jest; to play tricks; to jeer
- to mock; to trick
Jape are an Irish electronic–rock band from Dublin.
- also known as Richie Egan
- member of musical group The Redneck Manifesto
- genres: Electronic music, Rock music, Folktronica, Pop music, Electronica, Electronic dance music, Hip hop music, Electronic rock
- albums: "The Monkeys in the Zoo Have More Fun Than Me", "Jape Is Grape E.P.", "Cosmosphere", "Ritual", "Floating", "Ocean of Frequency"
Who is Jape?
Jape a.k.a. John Paul Tremblay is a Canadian actor who stars in the hit Canadian TV show Trailer Park Boys, playing Julian, a newly released ex-con returning to his home in a trailer park in Nova Scotia. Tremblay grew up in the Dartmouth suburb of Cole Harbour where he lived on the same street and went to the same high school as Robb Wells, his future co-star of Trailer Park Boys. Before Trailer Park Boys he and Robb Wells owned a chain of pizza restaurants called J.R. Capone's. The show is written by Tremblay along with co-stars Robb Wells and Mike Smith. The Trailer Park Boys released a film in 2006, most of it being filmed in the municipality of Halifax. Tremblay and Wells also appeared in the 2002 family film Virginia's Run, though not as Ricky and Julian. John is married to Andrea Tremblay; they have 3 children.
- read more about John Paul Tremblay (actor)
"Jape" is a book by Lawrence Upton.
- Jape is a configurable, graphical proof assistant, originally developed at the University of Oxford. It allows user to define a logic, decide how to view proofs, and much more. It works with variants of the sequent calculus and natural deduction.
- JAPE: In computational linguistics, JAPE is the Java Annotation Patterns Engine, a component of the open-source General Architecture for Text Engineering platform. JAPE is a finite state transducer that operates over annotations based on regular expressions. Thus it is useful for pattern-matching, semantic extraction, and many other operations over syntactic trees such as those produced by natural language parsers.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Jape
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Towards Knowledge Ecosystems by Samuel Szoniecky, Nasreddine Bouha?
JAPE is an annotation system that uses specific rules provided by GATE software . These rules are combined with domain terms found in the EH (English Heritage) thesaurus as well as mechanisms for the detection of negation and lexical ...
Proceedings of the Sixth Joint Conference on Knowledge-Based Software Engineering by Vadim Stefanuk, Kenji Kaijiri
with its base knowledge-representation language JAPE As mentioned above, JAPE is a production- type language The left sides of the productions are the templates, defined on the set of annotations The right sides are generally Java code, ...
12th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems, NLDB 2007, Paris, France, June 27-29, 2007, Proceedings by Zoubida Kedad, Nadira Lammari, Elisabeth Métais, Farid Meziane, Yacine Rezgui
The developed JAPE rules combine ontology-based lookup information with noun phrase (NP) chunks to detect semantic units. NP chunking is performed 5 JAPE is a regular-expression based language for writing grammars over annotations, ...
by M. Costantino, Paolo Coletti
JAPE is a version of CPSL Common Pattern Specification Language (for details, see Ref. ); • the annotation diff toolin the development environment calculates performance metrics such as precision, recall and F-measure for comparing ...
Selected Papers from RANLP 2005 by Nicolas Nicolov
JAPE is a version of CPSL (Common Pattern Specification Language). This engine executes the JAPE grammar phases - each phase consists of a set of pattern/action rules. The left-hand-side (lhs) of the rule represents an annotation pattern ...
by William Toone
JAPE (F. gaber), to jest or joke.
An Encyclopedia of Swearing (2015)
The Social History of Oaths, Profanity, Foul Language, and Ethnic Slurs in the English-speaking World by Geoffrey Hughes
exuberance: Fottere: To iape [jape], to sard, to fucke, to swive, to occupy. We notice that out of this extensive word field, ...
Of Obsolete and Uncommon Words, Antiquated Phrases, and Proverbs Illustrative of Early English Literature, Comprising Chiefly Those Not to be Found in Our Ordinary Dictionaries; with Historical Notices of Ancient Customs and Manners by William Toone
JAPE (F. gaber), to jest or joke.
Three Volume Set Volume I A-F Volume II G-P Volume III Q-Z by Gordon Williams
jape copulate (with). The sense apparently derives from the meanings of trick or deceive, hence seduce. Chaucer's quibbling use is noted by Speght, ' Hard words of Chaucer', appended to the Workes (1602), relating how the word was ...
The Devil's Dictionary (2013)
Complete & Unabridged by Ambrose Bierce
A conspicuous,and itis hopednot unpleasing,featureof thebookis its abundant illustrativequotations from eminent poets, chief of whomis that learned and ingeniouscleric, FatherGassalasca Jape, S.J., whose lines bearhis initials. ToFather ...
A Santali-English dictionary (1899)
by A. R. Campbell
Jape tope. 1 Slow, dilatory, putting off Jape thope.J time. Cellekate jape tope ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Jape
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Jape
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Jape Lunko
Being blackballed from children's' parties was bad enough, but when Jape found himself rejected by the Juggalos, he knew he'd bottomed out.
Photo credit: TheoJunior
- Vintage Photo Postcard - Jape
via Wicker Paradise Favorites - blog.wickerparadise.com/post/60680198024/vintage-photo-po...
Photo credit: Wicker Paradise
Video about Jape
Video shows what jape means. A joke or quip.. jape synonyms: Wikisaurus:joke. jape pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. jape ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Jape!
Quotes about Jape
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'jape"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of J8A1P3E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of JAPE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Jape!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Jape to see it in context!