On this page:
Definition of the noun jati
What does jati mean as a name of something?
- (Hinduism) a Hindu caste or distinctive social group of which there are thousands throughout India; a special characteristic is often the exclusive occupation of its male members (such as barber or potter)
- Jati is a city in the southern part of the Brazilian state of Ceará. In 2004 its population was estimated at 7,471.
- Jati a.k.a. Cetti Bay is a historic site near Umatac, Guam, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- read more about Cetti Bay
There are other places with in their name, like Jati Umra.
Jati is a fictional character from the 1965 film Khandan.
- Jati a.k.a. Jāti is the term used to denote the thousands of clans, tribes, communities and sub-communities, and religions in India. Each jāti typically has an association with a traditional job function or tribe. Religious beliefs or linguistic groupings may define some jatis.
- read more about Jāti
- Jati a.k.a. Jāti: In Buddhism, Jāti refers to the arising of a new living entity within saṃsāra.
- Jati a.k.a. The Jakati language is spoken in Ukraine by around 30,000 people, with a thousand or so in Afghanistan. It is related to Punjabi. The people are culturally similar to the Romani, being nomadic ironsmiths and fortune tellers who have spread to Europe, though unlike the Romani, they are Muslim.
- read more about Jakati Language
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Jati
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Fierce Gods (2005)
Inequality, Ritual, and the Politics of Dignity in a South Indian Village by Diane P. Mines
Third, jati is a living sign. For residents of Yanaimangalam, its meaning and significance are still argued, still part of living discourse about what it is to be human. Jati is an aspect of everyday life, of yearly political-ritual events, and of political ...
by David Keane
While varna essentially represents a theoretical division of Hindu society into Brahmans, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas and Shudras, jati is a practical one. Shridavar Ketkar points to the work of Emile Senart, Les Castes dans l'Inde,34 which ' brought ...
by Albert Smith Bickmore
The native name jati is a word of Javanese origin, signifying true, or genuine, and was probably applied to these trees on account of the well-known durability of the wood they yield. Now, near the end of the dry monsoon, they have lost nearly ...
The Meaning of Nouns (2012)
Semantic Theory in Classical and Medieval India by M.M. Deshpande
is called jati, while the unreal [aspect ] is the individual. [The pure] existence, differentiated into [objects like] bulls etc. on account of the difference in sunreal] adjuncts, is called jāti. That [pure ...
The Rule of the Clan (2013)
What an Ancient Form of Social Organization Reveals About the Future of Individual Freedom by Mark S. Weiner
Put succinctly, a jati is a local kinship group composed of multiple lineages whose members are associated with a common occupation.
by Bhaiya S. Prasad
As pointed by Swamiji the Sanskrit word Jati means creating and such a creation is bound to lead to variation (Vichidtrata), the variation which is the essence of Prakiti. It is this force of variation which brought into existence the four castes.
by Nāgārjuna, Fernando Tola, Carmen Dragonetti
jati is a prasahga, pratyavasthdna, updlambha , pratisedha, (3) the pratyavasthdna that constitutes the jdti may assume numerous ...
by Orlando O. Espín, James B. Nickoloff
to translate the term jati (Sanskrit, birth group) that designates one of the innumerable hereditary, en- dogamous communities that function as regionally limited subgroups within each ...
by Robert Caesar Childers
JATI(f), Birth; a birth or existence in the Buddhist sense, re-birth, renewed existence; lineage, family, caste; sort, kind, variety [sitfit]. Ab. 90, 792. Játi, “birth,” is one of the links of the paticcasamuppádo (B.Int.492). Atitásujātisu, in former births ...
A Santali-English dictionary (1899)
by A. R. Campbell
• Jom jati. To receive into ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Jati
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Jati
Click on an item to view that photo:
- New Argo Jati
Photo credit: husni mubarok
- Gapura Jati Pasar
Photo credit: Ndutz_Prayoga
- Anom Turonggo Jati
Chekin foursquare via 4sqmobile to your phone. chekin now Chekin or joint #Foursquare via #Opera Mobile
Photo credit: edisoesanto
- Jati with village leader
SurfAid Senior Community Facilitator Jati (on right) with kepala dusun (head of the village).
To request copyright use and access to hi-res versions of this photo, contact the owner/organisation of this photograph.
Photo credit: DFAT photo library
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Jati
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tibet - Film Jati Naa Lam in Derge Dialect 1
Tibet Film Jati Naa Lam in Derge Dialect one.
- Jati Meaning
Video shows what jati means. A clan, tribe, or community in India.. Jati Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say jati. Powered by ...
- Tibet - Film Jati Naa Lam in Derge Dialect 2
See also the pronunciation examples of Jati!
Scrabble value of J8A1T1I1
The value of this 4-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine