On this page:
- "Kaidan" a.k.a. "Kwaidan" is a 1964 Japanese anthology horror film directed by Masaki Kobayashi. It is based on stories from Lafcadio Hearn's collections of Japanese folk tales, mainly Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things, for which it is named. The film consists of four separate and unrelated stories. Kwaidan is an archaic transliteration of Kaidan, meaning "ghost story". It won the Special Jury Prize at the 1965 Cannes Film Festival, and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.
- read more about Kwaidan
- "Kaidan" is a 2007 film directed by Hideo Nakata.
- also known as Hideo Nakata's Kaidan
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- cinematography by Jun'ichirô Hayashi
- music by Kenji Kawai
- costume design by Kazuko Kurosawa
- set decoration by Yoshihito Akatsuka
- genres: Horror, Supernatural, Psychological thriller, World cinema, Thriller, Japanese Movies
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Kaidan" is a film.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kaidan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Berra
Although Kaidan is a period drama, the relationship between Toyoshiga and Shinkichi is contemporary and is found in nearly all Nakata films. The vengeful ghost of the traditional Gothic horror cycle was represented as an innocent victim of ...
Fodor's Japan (2011)
by Doug Stallings, Stephanie E. Butler
Kaidan is a Buddhist word for the terrace on which monks are ordained; the Chinese Buddhist Ganjin (688-763) administered many induction ceremonies of Japanese Buddhists here. The current structure dates from 1731. Kaidan-in is in ...
Encountering the Dharma (2006)
Daisaku Ikeda, Soka Gakkai, and the Globalization of Buddhist Humanism by Richard Hughes Seager
Thus kaidan is a complex of ideas about authority and sacred space made all the more complex by carrying a sense of futurity. Debate over the meanings of kaidan would result in doctrinal controversies in the postwar decades that factored ...
by Helen Josephine Baroni
Kaidan Ordination platform; a platform on which one receives the Buddhist precepts as a part of the ordination ceremony. The tradition of designating special sites for ordination ceremonies is said to date to the time of the historical Buddha.
Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd Edition [6 volumes] (2010)
A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices by J. Gordon Melton, Martin Baumann
The Chinese kaidan evolved from the early Buddhist sima, a sacred site in which the ordination took place. The candidate alighted the ordination platform by ascending three steps, representing the emptiness of self, dharmas, and both self ...
by Sabine Haenni, Sarah Barrow, John White
kaidan. o. agaru. toku/When. a. Woman. Ascends. the. Stairs. (1960). Ossessione /Obsession (1942). takes for a solution to be found is for Beth to change – that is, that once again the problem is the individual rather than anything else. (Clearly ...
Japan Encyclopedia (2002)
by Louis Fr?d?ric, Louis-Frédéric, Käthe Roth
Kaidan. "Ghost Stories.
by Daw-Ming Lee
One of them was actually an omnibus horror film, Okinawan Horror: Upside down Ghost—Chinese Horror: Breaking a Cojjin/Upset Walking Ghost—Broken Cojjin/ Okinawa kaidan: Sakazuri yurei—Shina Kaidan: Shikan yaburi (1962), in which ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kaidan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Kaidan
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: yamayadori
- Kaidan Tansu
Photo credit: [email protected]
- A kaidan in Shimotsuke Yakushiji temple
Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan.
Photo credit: _Yuki_K_
- A kaidan in Kwanzeon-ji temple
Dazaifu, Fukuda, Japan.
Photo credit: _Yuki_K_
- Kaidan Kokudo
Photo credit: mersy
- Mom's Kaidan Tansu
Photo credit: [email protected]AG
Scrabble value of K5A1I1D2A1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of KAIDAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Kaidan!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kaidan to see it in context!