On this page:
- Definition of the noun karelia
- Phrases with Karelia
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Karelia
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Karelia
- Photos about Karelia
- Videos about Karelia
- Scrabble value of K5A1R1E1L1I1A1
- Anagrams of KARELIA
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun karelia
What does karelia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a region in Finland and Russia between the Gulf of Finland and the White Sea
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- instance of: geographic area / geographic region / geographical area / geographical region = a demarcated area of the Earth
- part of: Finland / Republic of Finland / Suomi = republic in northern Europe; Russia / Russian Federation = a federation in northeastern Europe and northern Asia; formerly Soviet Russia
- member: Carelian / Karelian = a member of the Finnish people living in Karelia in northwestern European Russia
- Karelia, the land of the Karelian peoples, is an area in Northern Europe of historical significance for Finland, Russia, and Sweden.
- part of Fennoscandia
- Karelia is a historical province of Finland. It refers to the Western Karelia that during the second millennium has been under western dominance, religiously and politically. Western, i.e. Finnish Karelia is separate from Eastern, i.e. Russian Karelia, which was dominated by Novgorod and its successor states from the 12th century onwards.
- Karelia a.k.a. The Republic of Karelia is a federal subject of Russia, located in the northwest of Russia. Its capital is the city of Petrozavodsk. Its population in 2010 was 643,548.
- read more about Republic of Karelia
There are other places with in their name, like North Karelia.
- Karelia is a French heavy metal band created in 2000 by Lionel Vest and Matthieu Kleiber.
- Karelia oli vuonna 1970 perustettu suomalainen yhtye, joka soitti pop-versioita kansanmusiikkikappaleista. Bändin johtohahmot olivat Armas Nukarainen ja Iivana Nyhtänköljä. Yhtye julkaisi kaksi albumia, Suomi Pop ja Suomi Pop 2 sekä singlet "Herran kanssa pellon laidassa" / "Taitaja karjalan mailta" ja "Tiski-Jukka" / "Vanha Kulta". Singlet julkaistiin nimellä Iivana Nyhtänköljä ja Karelia. Karelia on mukana myös yhdessä Nunnu Big Bandin kanssa levyllä Nunnu. Rocket Records on julkaissut yhtyeen Suomi Pop -albumit cd-kokoelmana vuonna 2012.
"Karelia" is a composition.
Karelia is the name of the oldest tobacco company in Greece. It was founded in 1888 in Kalamata, where it has its headquarters until today with annual sales of over €700 million and net income €64 million.
Phrases with Karelia
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Karelia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Constructing European Borders and Borderlands by Kimmo Katajala, Maria Lähteenmäki
Karelia is a territory which was a borderland between the medieval and early modern realms of Russia and Sweden and then...
Messages from Islands (2016)
A Global Biodiversity Tour by Ilkka Hanski
Tari Haahtela's research group is called KARA, the Karelian Allergy Project. Karelia is the region that extends across the border between Finland and Russia; the border is an abrupt boundary in ...
by Thomas M. Wilson, Hastings Donnan
Karelia is a positive case of a mutual rediscovery and exploitation of historical commonalities, common landscapes and regional traditions, but it is not immune to the vicissitudes of security policies, strict border and visa regimes as well as the ...
Cross-continental Perspectives on the Differentiated Countryside and Its Regulation by Kjell Andersson, Erland Eklund, Minna Lehtola
North Karelia is a rural periphery in Finland, and certainly, ...
The Chronicles of Aerah (2009)
Mind-link Communications Across the Universe by Salumet Bonniol
Karelia is a province on the border of Finland. It is lengthy, but there's a short piece called: The Intermezzo—a short connecting piece of music and that is what we are going to play for you.” flflfl. ~ “Thank you! That was very different from the ...
Low-Carbohydrate Mania (2017)
The Fantasies, Delusions, and Myths by Richard Harding
North Karelia is an inland region in East Finland that borders Russia. A contrasting region was chosen on the coast in south-west Finland. The two Japanese regions were located on the southern island of Kyushu. Tanushimaru is a rural ...
Karelia is a region in the north— west of Russia embracing the southeast corner of Fin' land and including parts of the Government of Petrograd, .Olonets and Archangel bordering on the northeast on the White Sea. The Karelians belong to the ...
by Ivor Goodson, Ari Antikainen, Pat Sikes, Molly Andrews
As agreed in the peace agreement following the Second World War, parts of Finland – Karelia in particular – were annexed to the Soviet Union. Culturally Karelia is the region where for instance most of the poems constituting The Kalevala, ...
by Anttiroiko, Ari-Veikko
Karelia Constitutional Court, www.gov.karelia.ru/ Law/index.html, has a regularly updated Web site with decisions, by-laws of the Court and short biographies of Justices. For the text of dissenting opinions, you need to search at the Web site of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Karelia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Karelia
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Karelia
Click on an item to play that video:
- Karelia Meaning
Video shows what Karelia means. A region to the north of Saint Petersburg in Russia and Finland.. An autonomous republic of Russia, official name the ...
- Karelia Kondor: Language Learning In Second Life - An Introduction
Karelia Kondor talks about how she is learning languages in Second Life. The film was made in 2009. She is still there, and still learning!
- Karelia product description
Scrabble value of K5A1R1E1L1I1A1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of KARELIA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- AIR LEAK
See also the blanagrams of Karelia!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Karelia to see it in context!