On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun knotgrass
What does knotgrass mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: knotgrasses
- low-growing weedy grass with spikelets along the leaf stems
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: ? oaxacensis / unranked ? oaxacensis / Anastrophus paspalodes / species Anastrophus paspalodes / Anastrophus paspaloides / species Anastrophus paspaloides / Digitaria disticha / species Digitaria disticha / Digitaria paspalodes / species Digitaria paspalodes / Digitaria paspaloides / species Digitaria paspaloides / Dimorphostachys oaxacensis / species Dimorphostachys oaxacensis / Lasiacis maxonii / species Lasiacis maxonii / Lasiacis oaxacensis / species Lasiacis oaxacensis / Lasiacis oaxacensis maxonii / variety Lasiacis oaxacensis maxonii / Lasiacis oaxacensis oaxacensis / variety Lasiacis oaxacensis oaxacensis / Milium distichum / species Milium distichum / Milium paspalodes / species Milium paspalodes / Panicum digitaria / species Panicum digitaria / Panicum digitarioides / species Panicum digitarioides / Panicum fernandezianum / species Panicum fernandezianum / Panicum oaxacense / species Panicum oaxacense / Panicum paspaliforme / species Panicum paspaliforme / Panicum polyrrhizum / species Panicum polyrrhizum / Paspalum berteroanum / species Paspalum berteroanum / Paspalum bracteatum / species Paspalum bracteatum / Paspalum chepica / species Paspalum chepica / Paspalum digitaria / species Paspalum digitaria / Paspalum distichum paspalodes / subspecies Paspalum distichum paspalodes / Paspalum distichum paucispicatum / subspecies Paspalum distichum paucispicatum / Paspalum distichum digitaria / variety Paspalum distichum digitaria / Paspalum distichum indutum / variety Paspalum distichum indutum / Paspalum distichum longirepens / variety Paspalum distichum longirepens / Paspalum distichum microstachyum / variety Paspalum distichum microstachyum / variety Paspalum distichum paspalodes / Paspalum distinctum / species Paspalum distinctum / Paspalum elliottii / species Paspalum elliottii / Paspalum fernandezianum / species Paspalum fernandezianum / Paspalum glaucifolium / species Paspalum glaucifolium / Paspalum michauxianum / species Paspalum michauxianum / Paspalum oajacense / species Paspalum oajacense / Paspalum oaxacense / species Paspalum oaxacense / Paspalum paspaliforme / species Paspalum paspaliforme / Paspalum paspalodes / species Paspalum paspalodes / Paspalum paspalodes paspalodes / variety Paspalum paspalodes paspalodes / Paspalum paspaloides / species Paspalum paspaloides / Paspalum paucispicatum / species Paspalum paucispicatum / Paspalum polyrrhizum / species Paspalum polyrrhizum / Paspalum schaffneri / species Paspalum schaffneri / Paspalum vaginatum / species Paspalum vaginatum / Paspalum vaginatum pubescens / variety Paspalum vaginatum pubescens / Paspalum distichum
- more generic word: grass = narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals
- member of: genus Paspalum = a genus of perennial grasses of warm regions
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun knotgrass
- An annual plant, Polygonum aviculare, found in fields and wasteland
Knotgrass is a fictional character from the 2014 film Maleficent.
Phrases with Knotgrass
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Knotgrass
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Herbert Virgil Tormohlen
Knotgrass (Polygonum aviculare). Common Knotgrass is an exceedingly abundant plant, but one which is almost always overlooked. This is a pity, for although it is sometimes a troublesome weed, it is nevertheless useful for many purposes.
The knotgrass is a useful little plant, for thousands of birds are nourished by its seeds and young shoots, and there is a caterpillar peculiarly attached to it which ...
by Joseph M. DiTomaso, Evelyn A. Healy
Knotgrass: Mat-forming perennial to 0.6 m tall, with creeping rhizomes and stolons. Knotgrass is a widespread native of the Americas and elsewhere. It is a good forage grass and is useful for controlling erosion ...
by Steve Finch, Alison Samuel, Gerry P. Lane
Knotgrass is the first to germinate; it has narrow cotyledons in the shape of a 'V';. All the polygonums seedlings have a red stem. They are important for in-field biodiversity. Mayweeds (Fig. 5.13c) germinate in most months, although spring is ...
Compendium of Herbal Plants (2006)
by H. Panda
Knotgrass is a common spreading weed of waste places, roadsides, arable landandrockyseashores throughout theBritish Isles, where it is native. Itis also widespread on the Continent. The generic name, Polygonum, has the same origin as ...
Knotgrass: Mat-forming perennial to 0.6 m tall, with creeping rhizomes and stolons. Knotgrass is a widespread native of the Americas and elsewhere. It is a good forage grass and is useful for controlling erosion in ditches and canal Dallisgrass ...
Knotgrass Polygonaceae ORIGIN AND DESCRIPTION Knotgrass is a very polymorphic plant, found in the whole world. The mother tincture is prepared from the whole plant. It is rich in silica, tannins and in flavonoids ...
Human Uses that Changed the Ecology, Ecology that Changed Human Uses by Robert E. Henshaw
Known in Europe as bistort, or “bistorta” in seventeenth-century contexts, knotweed/knotgrass is a worldwide genus that, like bedstraw, shares common chemical and medicinal properties between diverse European and American species ...
Barclay's English Dictionary. With which is incorporated a complete modern gazetteer, a beautiful atlas of maps and also a pronouncing dictionary (1822)
by James Barclay (Curate of Edmonton.), William SHORTON
The German knotgrass is a species of the scleranthus of Linneus. KNO'TSFORD, a town in Cheshire, ...
Including Not Only an Explanation of Difficult Words and Technical Terms in All Faculties and Professions ... To which are Added, a Chronological Series of Remarkable Events ... by James Barclay, William Shorton
KNOTGRASS, ». a plant with white flowers, in naked whorls, and trailing stems, found in wet pastures in Cornwall ; also a kind of snakeweed. The German knotgrass is a species of the scleranthus of Linneus. KNOTSFORD, a town in Cheshire, ...
Barclay's Universal English Dictionary, etc. (The Improved London Edition of Barclay's Dictionary, superbly embellished.) With maps (1835)
by James Barclay (Curate of Edmonton.), Thomas Noble, William SHORTON
The German knotgrass is a species of the scleranthus of Linneus. KNO'TSFORD, a town in Cheshire, ...
by Vivian Thomas, Nicki Faircloth
knotgrass Polygonum aviculare L. is not a grass ...
by Andrew Chevallier
Habitat & Cultivation Knotgrass is found in temperate regions throughout the world. It thrives on wasteground and along shorelines. The plant is gathered throughout the summer. Parts Used Aerial parts. Constituents Knotgrass containstannins ...
by Thomas de Vere Coneys
common knotgrass. Polygonum. Ъ\а\г)е«.с белрз, s.f. spotted knotgrass.
A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting by Lexa Rosean
Knotgrass. RULER: Saturn TYPE: plant MAGICKAL FORM: dried Use this plant to hex an enemy. Stuff some inside a black voodoo doll and bury it at midnight on a dark moon. Kola Nut RULER: Mercury TYPE: plant MAGICKAL FORM: ...
In which the Words are Explained in the Order of Their Natural Affinity, Independent of Alphabetical Arrangement; and the Signification of Each is Traced from Its Etymology ... to which are Added, an Introduction, Containing a New Grammar of the Language, and an Alphabetical Index, for the Ease of Consultation by David Booth
Sw1NEGRAss is a wayfaring prostrate annual, otherwise called KNotgrass, on ...
Containing Words from the English Writers Previous to the Nineteenth Century which are No Longer in Use, Or are Not Used in the Same Sense. And Words which are Now Used Only in the Provincial Dialects
An analytical dictionary of the English language, in which the words are explained in the order of their natural affinity, independent of alphabetical arrangement ... (1836)
by David Booth
Swinegrass is a wayfaring prostrate annual, otherwise called Knotgrass, on account of the number of joints on its creeping stems. It is the Polygonum aviculare of the Botanists, and, probably, the species that gave the denomination to the ...
An Analytical Dictionary of the English Language in which the words are explained in the order of their natural affinity, independent of alphabetical arrangement, and the signification of each is traced from its etymology ... To which are added, an introduction, containing a new grammar of the language, and an alphabetical index, etc (1835)
by David BOOTH (Author of the Analytical Dictionary.)
\ Swmscmss is a Wayfaring prostrate annual, otherwise called KNOTGRASS, on ...
Dictionary of Early English (1955)
by Joseph T. Shipley
knotgrass. A plant, of interbranched and knotted creeping stems, with tiny pink and crimson flowers. It was used- particularly ...
And of the Arts, Sciences, Instruments, and Practice, Necessary to the Farmer, Stockfarmer, Gardener, Forester, Landsteward, Farrier, &c by John Marius Wilson
mon knotgrass, Polygonum aviculare, — wild carrot, Daucus carota, — hedge parsley, Torilis infes- ta, — fool's parsley, jEthusacynapium, — and fennel, A nethum fomiculum. — The principal weeds which impoverish the soil and encumber ...
The Rural Cyclopedia, Or A General Dictionary of Agriculture, and of the Arts, Sciences, Instruments, and Practice, Necessary to the Farmer, Stockfarmer, Gardener, Forester, Landsteward, Farrier, & C (1849)
by John Marius Wilson
mon knotgrass, PoI_:/_gonum avz'cularc.—wild carrot, Daucus curota,—- hedge parsley, Torilis infesta,—fool's parsley, 1E/zu.sac_;/napium,—and fennel, A net/zu1n_fmnicu.Zum.—The principal weeds which impoverish the soil and ...
knotgrass and knotweed c» noun an annual plant which is widespread throughout most of Europe. It has slender branched stems that bear small narrow leaves and tiny white or pink flowers. knothole e» noun a hole left in a piece of wood ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Knotgrass
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Knotgrass
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Knotgrass
Video shows what knotgrass means. An annual plant, Polygonum aviculare, found in fields and wasteland. Knotgrass Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
Scrabble value of K5N1O1T1G2R1A1S1S1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Knotgrass to find many related words and phrases!