|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun kuru
What does kuru mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: kurus
- a progressive disease of the central nervous system marked by increasing lack of coordination and advancing to paralysis and death within a year of the appearance of symptoms; thought to have been transmitted by cannibalistic consumption of diseased brain tissue since the disease virtually disappeared when cannibalism was abandoned
Alternative definition of the noun kuru
- A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New Guinea, caused by a prion that probably resembles the scrapie agent of sheep, transmissible to nonhuman primates, and believed to be transmitted by ritual cannibalism.
- Kuru is located on the Jos Plateau in north-central Nigeria commonly referred as the middle belt region of Nigeria. Located about 20 km to Jos on the Jos-Abuja highway in Plateau State. Kuru is a conglomerate of other small semi - developed villages, hamlets and households not too far from one another.
- also known as Kuru, Nigeria
- part of Nigeria
- Kuru a.k.a. Kuru, Ida-Viru County: Kuru is a village in Iisaku Parish, Ida-Viru County in northeastern Estonia.
- read more about Kuru, Ida-Viru County
There are other places with Kuru in their name, like Kuru Kururu.
Kuru is a musical group.
- album: "Jälki"
- official website: kuruband.com
There are other groups with Kuru in their name, like Uttara-kuru.
"Kuru" is a musical album of Mushroom Giant.
- Kuru a.k.a. Khuru is a traditional Bhutanese sport. It involves throwing darts outdoors with a target approximately 20 metres.
- read more about Khuru
- Kuru was the name of an Indo-Aryan kshatriya tribe and their kingdom in the Vedic period of India, and later a republican Mahajanapada state. Their kingdom was located in the area of modern Haryana and Delhi. They formed the first political center of the Indo-Aryans after the Rigvedic period, and after their emergence from the Punjab, and it was there that the codification and redaction of the Vedic texts began. Archaeologically, they most likely correspond to the black and red ware culture of the 12th to 9th centuries BC. At this time, iron first appears in western India. Iron is still absent from the Rigvedic hymns, and makes its first appearance as "black metal" in the Atharvaveda.
Phrases with Kuru
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kuru
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Case-Based Neurology (2011)
by Anuradha Singh MD
Kuru is a form of transmissible CJD that is now mainly of historical interest, as the cessation of cannibalism has ended the disease. It was a disease of the Fore people in New Guinea, affecting predominantly women and children, who would ...
Kuru is a prion disease that causes rapid deterioration ofmentalfunction and loss of muscle coordination.
Textbook of Medical Virology (2014)
by Erik Lycke, Erling Norrby
Kuru is a remarkable degenerative disease in the central nervous system which occurs amongst the Fore tribe in New Guinea. In the language of this people 'kuru' means to tremble and tremor is an important symptom of the disease.
Handbook of Neurosurgery (2010)
by Mark S. Greenberg
Kuru is a subacute, uniformly fatal disease involving cerebellar degeneration (the word “kuru” means “to tremble” in the local language"P"). Most noniatrogenically transmitted cases of CJD occur in patients > 50 yrs old, and is rare in age & 30.
Biological Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders by Michael J. Zigmond, Joseph T. Coyle, Lewis P. Rowland
Kuru is an always fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor and choreiform and athetoid movements. In contrast to the neuropathological picture, it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms, and evolution. The progressive ...
The Science of Heroes (2008)
The Real-Life Possibilities Behind the Hit TV Show by Yvonne Carts-Powell
And although the Fore did cook the dead before eating them, they still got a mysterious disease called kuru. Kuru is a horrible and bizarre disease. Victims suffered progressive neurological degeneration: first muscle weakness, then dementia, ...
Expert Consult - Online by J Clive Spiegel, John M. Kenny
Kuru is the prion disease endemic to the cannibalistic Fore people. The clinical presentation is that of progressive cerebellar ataxia. The progressive disease course generally leads to death in about twelve months from initial onset.
by Margaret Lock, Vinh-Kim Nguyen
Kuru is a dramatic example of.
The History of the Alphabet (1899)
An Account of the Origin and Development of Letters by Isaac Taylor
The Persian word kuru is the translation of the Turanian and Semitic words. Hence in the Persian alphabet the character () stands for the letter Á when followed by u. Another curious instance is afforded by the Persian E, g(u), the initial sound ...
by Richard A. Prayson
Kuru is a disorder confined to the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea and is thought to be transmitted via ritualistic cannibalism. This disease is largely extinct; ...
by Alexander Cunningham (sir.)
* Kuru is the Tarkandi name for the " ingot REVENUE. 269 .
Medicine, Medicine by Cram101 Textbook Reviews
Kuru: Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder that is.
Medical Microbiology (2011)
by F. H. Kayser, K. A. Bienz, J. Eckert
Kuru is a disease that was spread in New Guinea ...
Primitive Religions (1891)
Being an Introduction to the Study of Religions, with an Account of the Religious Beliefs of Uncivilised Peoples, Confucianism, Taoism (China), and Shintoism (Japan) by George Thomas Bettany
Oma- kuru is a sort of deity who gives or withholds rain. They have a vast number of small superstitions, and believe firmly in witchcraft and amulets. They bring provisions to the grave of a deceased friend, beseeching him to eat,' ideas of ...
by Barbara A. West
kuru location: Northern India, especially the GangesYamuna Doab time period: Possibly 1500 to 500 b.c.e . ancestry: IndoAryan language: Probably postRigvedic Sanskritb kushAns location: The north of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central ...
By the Rev. W. Reeve. Revised, Corrected and Enlarged by Daniel Sanderson by W. Reeve
Bodo kuru, s. A country beyond the northernmost range of mountains, extending to the frozen ocean. 2. a proper name, sovereign of the north west of India, or the country about Delhi, and ancestor of both Pandu and Dhritarashtra. voc, *o::c.
A Maldivian Dictionary (2003)
by Christopher Hanby Baillie Reynolds
kuru, shoots] 2. n. front; kuriyar aranii, comes forward, comes to the front: reehekgai fahatun ais kuriyar erum, overtaking in a race: kuriyar tibbevi, prominent (of people): kuri- aranii, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kuru
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Kuru
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Kuru
Video shows what kuru means. A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Kuru!
Scrabble value of K5U1R1U1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of KURU
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Kuru!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kuru to see it in context!