|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun kuru
What does kuru mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: kurus
- a progressive disease of the central nervous system marked by increasing lack of coordination and advancing to paralysis and death within a year of the appearance of symptoms; thought to have been transmitted by cannibalistic consumption of diseased brain tissue since the disease virtually disappeared when cannibalism was abandoned
Alternative definition of the noun kuru
- A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New Guinea, caused by a prion that probably resembles the scrapie agent of sheep, transmissible to nonhuman primates, and believed to be transmitted by ritual cannibalism.
Kuru is located on the Jos Plateau in north-central Nigeria commonly referred as the middle belt region of Nigeria. Located about 20 km to Jos on the Jos-Abuja highway in Plateau State. Kuru is a conglomerate of other small semi - developed villages, hamlets and households not too far from one another.
- also known as Kuru, Nigeria
- part of Nigeria
"Kuru" is a musical album of Mushroom Giant.
- Kuru a.k.a. Khuru is a traditional Bhutanese sport. It involves throwing darts outdoors with a target approximately 20 metres.
- Kuru: Ку́ру — название индоарийского племени кшатриев и управляемого ими государства, существовавшего в ведийский период в Индии и позднее ставшего одной из Махаджанапад. Царство Куру располагалось в районе современных Харьяны и Дели и было первым политическим центром индоариев после ригведийского периода. Именно здесь началась кодификация и редактирование ведийских текстов. По мнению большинства учёных, период царства Куру соответствует периоду археологической культуры чёрной и красной керамики. Считается, что именно в это время на Индийском субконтиненте появилось железо, впервые упоминаемое как «чёрный метал» в «Атхарваведе». В той же Веде Парикшита называют «царём Куру». Сын Парикшита, Джанамеджая, упоминается в «Шатапатха-брахмане» и «Айтарея-брахмане». Царство Куру также часто упоминаются в поздневедийской литературе.
Phrases with Kuru
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kuru
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by J. Robin Harris
Kuru is an invariably fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor, choreiform and athetoid movements; it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms and evolution. The progressive dementia that is so characteristic of sporadic CJD, ...
Neurodegenerative Diseases (2012)
by Shamim I. Ahmad
CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS Kuru is an invariably fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor, choreiform and athetoid movements (Fig. 1). In contrast to the neuropathological picture, it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms ...
by Scott W. Atlas
Kuru is a neurodegenerative disorder characterized primarily by cerebellar ataxia . Kuru was quite common in the first half of the twentieth century in members of the Fore linguistic group living in the eastern highlands of Papua New Guinea.
Biological Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders by Michael J. Zigmond, Joseph T. Coyle, Lewis P. Rowland
Kuru is an always fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor and choreiform and athetoid movements. In contrast to the neuropathological picture, it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms, and evolution. The progressive ...
Global Challenges by Allen D. Hertzke
Kuru is the chair of APSA's Religion and Politics Section. ROMAN LUNKIN, a sociologist of religion, is a senior researcher at the Institute of Europe Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow; president of the Guild of Experts on Religion and Law, ...
by Gene Matlock
Kuru is a tribal name, otherwise there would have been no name like Kurusraoana (glory to the Kurus)...Cyrus (558-529...
Uttara Kuru is the Trans-Himalayan and Trans-Caspian region, an early settlement of the Kurus.
Kuru. Kuru is a prion disease that causes rapid deterioration ofmentalfunction and loss of muscle coordination. This disease used to occur in the Fore natives of the ...
Textbook of Medical Virology (2014)
by Erik Lycke, Erling Norrby
Kuru is a remarkable degenerative disease in the central nervous system which occurs amongst the Fore tribe in New Guinea. In the language of this people 'kuru' means to tremble and tremor is an important symptom of the disease.
Handbook of Neurosurgery (2010)
by Mark S. Greenberg
Kuru is a subacute, uniformly fatal disease involving cerebellar degeneration (the word "kuru" means "to tremble" in the local language80 (p6)). Most noniatrogenically transmitted cases of CJD occur in patients > 50 yrs old, and is rare in age ...
Kuru: Kuru is a fatal neurological disease described only among Fore tribe inhabiting the highlands of New Guinea. The disease was spread by cannibalistic funeral practice of the tribal population. This involved the ritualistic practice by the ...
Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Study of Health and Diseases by Craig Robert Janes, Ron Stall, Sandra M. Gifford
Kuru is a slow virus infection common in the 1950s— 1960s among the Fore people of highland New Guinea.
by Lakshman P. Samaranayake
Prion-induced diseases or transmissible spongiform encephalopathies Kuru Kuru is the fatal neurologic disease first described in societies in Papua New Guinea who consumed human brain. It is no longer prevalent owing to the cessation of ...
by Shawn P. Moore
KurU is a prion disease that occurs in natives of New Guinea and results in chorea, strabismus, ataxia, and dementia. Kuru is often spread by cannibalism, is fatal ...
by Franz Delitzsch
but Cyrus is called Kuru or Khuru upon the monuments, and this cannot possibly be connected ...
by Richard A. Prayson
Kuru is a disorder confined to the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea and is thought to be transmitted via ritualistic cannibalism. This disease is largely extinct; ...
by Barbara A. West
kuru location: Northern India, especially the GangesYamuna Doab time period: Possibly 1500 to 500 b.c.e . ancestry: IndoAryan language: Probably postRigvedic Sanskritb kushAns location: The north of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central ...
A Maldivian Dictionary (2003)
by Christopher Hanby Baillie Reynolds
kuru, shoots] 2. n. front; kuriyar aranii, comes forward, comes to the front: reehekgai fahatun ais kuriyar erum, overtaking in a race: kuriyar tibbevi, prominent (of people): kuri- aranii, ...
by Sir George Watt, Edgar Thurston, T. N. Mukharji
Paranki-mava kuru. ltappal-che'run-kuru, iafipa-mdviiuru ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kuru
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Kuru
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Kuru
Kuru Meaning and Pronunciation
Kuru Meaning and Pronunciation. A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New Guine...
See also the pronunciation examples of Kuru!
Scrabble value of K5U1R1U1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of KURU
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Kuru!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kuru to see it in context!