On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun kuru
What does kuru mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: kurus
- a progressive disease of the central nervous system marked by increasing lack of coordination and advancing to paralysis and death within a year of the appearance of symptoms; thought to have been transmitted by cannibalistic consumption of diseased brain tissue since the disease virtually disappeared when cannibalism was abandoned
Alternative definition of the noun kuru
- A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New Guinea, caused by a prion that probably resembles the scrapie agent of sheep, transmissible to nonhuman primates, and believed to be transmitted by ritual cannibalism.
- Kuru is located on the Jos Plateau in north-central Nigeria commonly referred as the middle belt region of Nigeria. Located about 20 km to Jos on the Jos-Abuja highway in Plateau State. Kuru is a conglomerate of other small semi - developed villages, hamlets and households not too far from one another.
- also known as Kuru, Nigeria
- part of Nigeria
- Kuru a.k.a. Kuru, Ida-Viru County: Kuru is a village in Iisaku Parish, Ida-Viru County in northeastern Estonia.
- read more about Kuru, Ida-Viru County
There are other places with in their name, like Kuru Kururu.
Kuru is a musical group.
- album: "Jälki"
- official website: kuruband.com
"Kuru" is a musical album of Mushroom Giant.
- Kuru a.k.a. Khuru is a traditional Bhutanese sport. It involves throwing darts outdoors with a target approximately 20 metres.
- read more about Khuru
- Kuru was the name of an Indo-Aryan kshatriya tribe and their kingdom in the Vedic period of India, and later a republican Mahajanapada state. Their kingdom was located in the area of modern Haryana and Delhi. They formed the first political center of the Indo-Aryans after the Rigvedic period, and after their emergence from the Punjab, and it was there that the codification and redaction of the Vedic texts began. Archaeologically, they most likely correspond to the black and red ware culture of the 12th to 9th centuries BC. At this time, iron first appears in western India. Iron is still absent from the Rigvedic hymns, and makes its first appearance as "black metal" in the Atharvaveda.
Phrases with Kuru
- Traubia Kuru
- Grammomys Kuru
- Polynemus Kuru
- Polydactylus Kuru
- Smilax China Kuru
- Species Traubia Kuru
- Species Grammomys Kuru
- Species Polynemus Kuru
- Species Polydactylus Kuru
- Variety Smilax China Kuru
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Kuru
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Textbook of Medical Virology (2014)
by Erik Lycke, Erling Norrby
Kuru is a remarkable degenerative disease in the central nervous system which occurs amongst the Fore tribe in New Guinea. In the language of this people 'kuru' means to tremble and tremor is an important symptom of the disease.
by Arthur MacNeill Horton, Jr., EdD, ABPP, ABPN, Chad A. Noggle, PhD, ABN, Raymond S. Dean, PhD, ABPP, ABN, ABPdN
kuru is a fatal neurodegenerative disorder thought to be caused by...
Biological Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disorders by Michael J. Zigmond, Joseph T. Coyle, Lewis P. Rowland
Kuru is an always fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor and choreiform and athetoid movements. In contrast to the neuropathological picture, it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms, and evolution. The progressive ...
Global Challenges by Allen D. Hertzke
Kuru is the chair of APSA's Religion and Politics Section. ROMAN LUNKIN, a sociologist of religion, is a senior researcher at the Institute of Europe Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow; president of the Guild of Experts on Religion and Law, ...
by J Clive Spiegel, John M. Kenny
Kuru is the prion disease endemic to the cannibalistic Fore people. The clinical presentation is that of progressive cerebellar ataxia. The progressive disease course generally leads to death in about twelve months from initial onset.
by John B. Walter
Kuru is a slowly progressive degenerative nervous disease of the Fore people of New Guinea and was originally thought ...
Rubins Pathology (2016)
by CTI Reviews
Kuru is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder (brain disease) that is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, caused by a prion found in humans., a reference to the body tremors that are a classic symptom of the disease; ...
by J. Robin Harris
Kuru is an invariably fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor, choreiform and athetoid movements; it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms and evolution. The progressive dementia that is so characteristic of sporadic CJD, ...
A Maldivian Dictionary (2003)
by Christopher Hanby Baillie Reynolds
kuru, shoots] 2. n. front; kuriyar aranii, comes forward, comes to the front: reehekgai fahatun ais kuriyar erum, overtaking in a race: kuriyar tibbevi, prominent (of people): kuri- aranii, ...
Accompanied by a Reversed Dictionary, English and Hindustani by Duncan Forbes
kuru or uttara-kuru, the most northerly of the four mahādwipas, ...
by J.F. Stimson, Donald Stanley Marshall
kuru KURIO (ii) To struggle -with, -against with only S. A variety of fish. ROI partial -force, -energy.
by John Dowson
KURU. A prince of the Lunar race, son of Samvarana by Tapati,
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kuru
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Kuru
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Kuru
Video shows what kuru means. A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Kuru!
Scrabble value of K5U1R1U1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of KURU
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Kuru!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kuru to see it in context!