Definition of the noun kuru
What does kuru mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: kurus
- a progressive disease of the central nervous system marked by increasing lack of coordination and advancing to paralysis and death within a year of the appearance of symptoms; thought to have been transmitted by cannibalistic consumption of diseased brain tissue since the disease virtually disappeared when cannibalism was abandoned
Alternative definition of the noun kuru
- A chronic, progressive, fatal central nervous system disease found mainly among the Fore and neighboring peoples of New Guinea, caused by a prion that probably resembles the scrapie agent of sheep, transmissible to nonhuman primates, and believed to be transmitted by ritual cannibalism.
Kuru is located on the Jos Plateau in north-central Nigeria commonly referred as the middle belt region of Nigeria. Located about 20 km to Jos on the Jos-Abuja highway in Plateau State. Kuru is a conglomerate of other small semi - developed villages, hamlets and households not too far from one another.
- also known as Kuru, Nigeria
- part of Nigeria
Kuru is a musical group.
- album: "Jälki"
- official website: kuruband.com
There are other groups with Kuru in their name, like Uttara-kuru.
"Kuru" is a musical album of Mushroom Giant.
- Kuru was the name of an Indo-Aryan kshatriya tribe and their kingdom in the Vedic period of India, and later a republican Mahajanapada state. Their kingdom was located in the area of modern Haryana and Delhi. They formed the first political center of the Indo-Aryans after the Rigvedic period, and after their emergence from the Punjab, and it was there that the codification and redaction of the Vedic texts began. Archaeologically, they most likely correspond to the black and red ware culture of the 12th to 9th centuries BC. At this time, iron first appears in western India. Iron is still absent from the Rigvedic hymns, and makes its first appearance as "black metal" in the Atharvaveda.
- Kuru a.k.a. Khuru is a traditional Bhutanese sport. It involves throwing darts outdoors with a target approximately 20 metres.
- Kuru a.k.a. Kuru, Ida-Viru County: Kuru is a village in Iisaku Parish, Ida-Viru County in northeastern Estonia.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Kuru
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Protein Aggregation and Fibrillogenesis in Cerebral and Systemic Amyloid Disease (2012)
by J. Robin Harris
Kuru is an invariably fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor, choreiform and athetoid movements; it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms and evolution. The progressive dementia that is so characteristic of sporadic CJD, ...
Neurodegenerative Diseases (2012)
by Shamim I. Ahmad
CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS Kuru is an invariably fatal cerebellar ataxia accompanied by tremor, choreifonn and athetoid movements (Fig. 1). In contrast to the neuropathological picture, it is remarkably uniform in clinical signs, symptoms ...
History of Physical Anthropology (1997)
by Frank Spencer
Kuru is a neurological disease occurring in the eastern highlands of Papua New Guinea that presents a compelling case in the history of the human and the medical sciences. The people most affected ...
Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain and Spine (2009)
by Scott W. Atlas
Kuru is a neurodegenerative disorder characterized primarily by cerebellar ataxia . Kuru was quite common in the first half of the twentieth century in members of the Fore linguistic group living in the eastern highlands of Papua New Guinea.
The Future of Religious Freedom (2013)
Global Challenges by Allen D. Hertzke
Kuru is the chair of APSA's Religion and Politics Section. ROMAN LUNKIN, a sociologist of religion, is a senior researcher at the Institute of Europe Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow; president of the Guild of Experts on Religion and Law, ...
Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology (2004)
Health and Illness in the World's Cultures Topics - Volume 1; Cultures - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
Kuru is a disease of the central nervous system that is progressive and always fatal. Major symptoms progress from a slight unsteadiness when standing and walking to severe tremors and the inability to walk without total support. Eventually ...
Encyclopedia of the Peoples of Asia and Oceania (2009)
by Barbara A. West
kuru location: Northern India, especially the GangesYamuna Doab time period: Possibly 1500 to 500 b.c.e . ancestry: IndoAryan language: Probably postRigvedic Sanskritb kushAns location: The north of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central ...
The Encyclopedia of Neuropsychological Disorders (2012)
by Chad A. Noggle, Raymond S. Dean, Arthur MacNeill Horton
Kuru: Clinical, pathological and epidemiological study of an acute ...
Encyclopedia of Meat Sciences, Three-Volume Set (2004)
by Carrick Devine, M. Dikeman
KuruKuru Kuru is a condition confined to highland New Guineans in the mountainous interior of Papua New Guinea and is believed to result from ritualistic cannibalism. The brain of deceased kin was eaten by women and children and the ...
Encyclopaedia of Higher Education: Convocation address (2005)
by Suresh Kant Sharma
prasaraya dharmadhvajam prapuraya dharmasankham pratadaya dharmadundubhim dharmam kuru, dharmam kuru, dharmam ...
The Encyclopedia of the Brain and Brain Disorders (2009)
by Carol Turkington, Joseph Harris
kuru 179 the interaction of chronic alcohol abuse and a thiamine deficiency brought on by the poor diet typical of chronic alcoholics. Korsakoff syndrome occurs in a wide variety of toxic and infectious brain illnesses, as well as in association ...
Desk Encyclopedia of Human and Medical Virology (2010)
by Brian W.J. Mahy, Marc H.V. van Regenmortel
Kuru is a fatal ataxic disease that was first described in the 1950s among the Fore tribe of the highlands of Papua New...
In 1963, Gajdusek and colleagues successfully transmitted kuru by inoculating kuru brain tissue intracerebrally into ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Kuru
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Kuru
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need images about Kuru for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a low price:
Scrabble value of K5U1R1U1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of KURU
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Kuru!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Kuru to see it in context!