The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun lack:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb lack:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun lack
- Definition of the verb lack
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lack
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lack
- Photos about Lack
- Videos about Lack
- Quotes about Lack
- Scrabble value of L1A1C3K5
- Anagrams of LACK
- Share this page
Lack is sometimes a misspelling of lake.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lack
What does lack mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lacks
- the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable
- example: there is a serious lack of insight into the problem
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of lack: deficiency / want
- more generic words: demand / need = a condition requiring relief
- more specific terms:
- absence = the state of being absent
- shortage / dearth / famine = an acute insufficiency
- deficit = a deficiency or failure in neurological or mental functioning
- mineral deficiency = lack of a mineral micronutrient that is essential for normal nutrition or metabolism
- shortness = the condition of being short of something
- stringency / tightness = a state occasioned by scarcity of money and a shortage of credit
Alternative definition of the noun lack
- [obsolete] A defect or failing; moral or spiritual degeneracy.
- antonym: glut
- A deficiency or need (of something desirable or necessary); an absence, want.
- antonym: surplus
Definition of the verb lack
What does lack mean as a doing word?
Lack is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: lacked | lacking | lacks
- be without
- Lack a.k.a. Łąck is a village in Płock County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland. It is the seat of the gmina called Gmina Łąck. It lies approximately 11 kilometres south-west of Płock and 99 km west of Warsaw.
- Lack is a small village and townland in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 114 people.
There are other places with in their name, like Lack Township.
Lack is a musical group.
- also known as The Lack
- albums: "Be There Pulse", "Blues Moderne: Danois Explosifs", "Sisyphus", "Saturate Every Atom"
- "Lack" is the fourteenth single by the Japanese pop-rock band Porno Graffitti. It was released on December 3, 2003.
- "Lack" is a musical single of Porno Graffitti.
- genre: Rock music
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Lack" is a musical EP of Dad They Broke Me.
- released in (9 years ago)
Lack: In Jacques Lacan's psychoanalytic philosophy, lack is a concept that is always related to desire. In his seminar Le transfert he states that lack is what causes desire to arise.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lack
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
But lack is a sort of contradiction. For both what is entirely incapable of having something and what is naturally such as to have it but yet does not have it, is lacking in it, either generally or in some definite way (indeed here we are already ...
An Anthroposemiotic Theory of Literary Characters by Ibrahim Taha
Lack refers to a state of disjunction between a character and an object. This sense of absence and loss functions as a trigger or catalyst for the major character to act, and the state of character-in-act is the basic structure of literary narratives.
Civic and Social Problems (1899)
A second reason for such lack is that the management and pecuniary benefits of most large public interests have been monopolized by a few. The remedy for this lack is public ownership. Who are the people most practically and deeply ...
God Formed Us For His Glory (2013)
by Joel S. Goldsmith
lack is an undiscovered truth. In the case of those who are not very far along on the path, the greater responsibility lies with the practitioner. But with those who have gone some distance on the path, there is a responsibility for them to look ...
E - P by Hensleigh Wedgwood
lasche, slack, remiss, faint; Lat. laxus, loose. See Loose. Lack, 1, Lake, Lacker.
by Jan Harold Brunvand
The same basic car problem with the same lack of proof and inconsistencies was described as long ago as the 1940s when handpacked ice cream was fairly common, and the story has shown up again in publications as recently as 1992, ...
by Mehmet Odekon
Periodic droughts make the lack of freshwater resources even more severe, causing Namibia to import approximately half of its cereal requirements. Namibian life expectancy is 43.93 years, and the median age is 19.79. Almost 39 percent of ...
LACK OF CAPACITY TO SUE LACO question of inequity of permitting a claim to be enforced, this inequity being founded on some change in the condition of the property or the relation of the parties. Prescription is statutory; laches is not.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lack
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lack
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: andygee1
- Lack of Sleep
Photo credit: Emertz76
- IKEA Lack / inside
Photo credit: rabanito
- For Lack of a Chair
. . . Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, Massachusetts.
Photo credit: votsek
- Artroom LACK table (bottom)
table made from 18 Lack tables
Photo credit: rabanito
- Kofferraum voll Lack
Photo credit: rabanito
- Artroom LACK table / leftovers
72 legs so far not needed
Photo credit: rabanito
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Lack
Click on an item to play that video:
- Intermediate Learning English Lesson 6 - Lack of Sophistication- Vocabulary and Pronunciation
This is a new intermediate English series of lessons. It will help you learn new vocabulary definitions and uses while providing some clear reading to learn ...
- Suplington - Friends and Family - Lack Of Definition
Track 13 from Cult Classic Records's album "Friends and Family." -uploaded in HD at...
- Lack Meaning
Video shows what lack means. A defect or failing; moral or spiritual degeneracy.. A deficiency or need (of something desirable or necessary); an absence, want..
- Irshad Manji: Lack Of Meaning Is The Real Death Threat
- Atheists Lack Meaning in Their Lives
- Lack of Videos Explanation
- After four weeks, Wall St. protests lack definition
After four weeks of protesting, the Occupy Wall Street demonstrators have set up a camp, food court, newspaper, and a medical unit. But as Jim Axelrod reports, ...
- Your Light-Beingness Through A Lack of Definition
Collapsing Densities - Arising Into All That Is.
- Channel Update - New Series, Lack Of Content Explanation
Channel update video giving an explanation of the reasons behind the lack of content over the past week and the new content that is coming as a result of it!
- Vocabulary - Lack of Political Will - Migliora il tuo Inglese - Improve your English
Vocabulary - Lack of Political Will - Migliora il tuo Inglese - Improve your English Lack of Political Will: that is to say that governments show no desire to act or do ...
- Lack Of Uploads (Explanation)
- Lack of Meaning
- Explanation of Lack of Uploads and Live Streams
twitch: twitch.tv/Pyroblock twitter: twitter.com/Pyroblock.
- JP Roe and Neda of iDiOM - Lack of
- Explanation of Lack
- Lack of uploads explanation
via YouTube Capture.
- Quick Update New video Recording Software!! explanation to lack of posting!
- ACT English Parallelism and Meaning Question- Lack of Sunlight
Solution to Testive ACT Question #ID6098.
- McCants IL510 Action Research Jacksonville State University Lack of Vocabulary Comprehension
- Important - Bad News (explanation to lack of videos)
- The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows: For Lack Of A Better World
The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is a web series that defines newly invented words for strangely powerful emotions. Written, edited, and narrated by John ...
- Noun and Verb Phrases (to Lack, to blame and to discuss) - English Lessons
VIDEO TITLE: Nouns phrases vs the verbs (to Lack, to blame and to discuss) - English Lessons with inlingua Vancouver --- TEACHER: Jacob Connect with us!
- How Positive Energy Overrides Lack Language
- UK businesses losing out because of a lack of language skills and cultural awareness
Gary Muddyman, CEO of global translation company, Conversis, and Bill Rivers, Executive Director at the Joint National Committee for Languages talk about ...
- Sorry for lack of videos (check description)
- Orchard Park's Lack of Second Language Education
- Modi News #013 Lack of language
- ESL - News & Politics - McDonalds And Walmart Lack Of Care
- Lack of English language content from Ukraine
Remarks by Andy Holowaty at "A Weekend for Ukraine - Raising funds for Patriot Defence and the ATO Widows Rehabilitation Program", Taras Shevchenko ...
- Lithuania: Minorities gather in Vilnius to decry lack of foreign language schools
Up to 2000 Lithuanians from the Russian, Polish and Belarusian communities held a rally in Vilnius on Friday, to protest against the closing of schools teaching ...
View more videos about The Lack.
See also the pronunciation examples of Lack!
Quotes about Lack
Understandably, no peace can sustained when people continue to suffer from hunger, lack of jobs, lack of basic public services - and most of all - lack of opportunity or hope. (Mikhail Saakashvili)
more quotes about lack...
Scrabble value of L1A1C3K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LACK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Lack!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lack to see it in context!