The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun lag:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb lag:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun lag
- Definition of the adjective lag
- Definition of the verb lag
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lag
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lag
- Photos about Lag
- Videos about Lag
- Quotes about Lag
- Scrabble value of L1A1G2
- Anagrams of LAG
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lag
What does lag mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lags
- the act of slowing down or falling behind
- the time between one event, process, or period and another
- one of several thin slats of wood forming the sides of a barrel or bucket
Alternative definition of the noun lag
- [countable] A gap, a delay; an interval created by something not keeping up; a latency.
- synonym: latency
- [uncountable] Delay; latency.
- [British, slang] a prisoner, a criminal.
- A minigame of billiards, where the order of the play is determined by testing who can get a ball closest to the bottom rail by shooting it onto the end rail.
Specialised definition of the noun lag
Glossary of sports / golf
a long putt, on which the object is to get the ball near the hole so that it can be sunk with the next putt
Definition of the adjective lag
What does lag mean as an attribute of a noun?
- See late.
Definition of the verb lag
What does lag mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: lagged, lagging
- hang (back) or fall (behind) in movement, progress, development, etc.
- lock up or confine, in or as in a jail
- example: They want to lag the prisoners
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of lag: gaol / immure / imprison / incarcerate / jail / jug / put away / put behind bars / remand
- more generic words: confine / detain = deprive of freedom
- throw or pitch at a mark, as with coins
- cover with lagging to prevent heat loss
Alternative definition of the verb lag
- to not keep up (the pace), to fall behind
- to cover (for example, pipes) with felt strips or similar material
Specialised definition of the verb lag
Glossary of sports / golf
to hit a long putt, on which the object is to get the ball near the hole so that it can be sunk with the next putt
Lag: Lâg Guitars is a French music company founded in the Occitania region of France, by master luthier Michel Lâg-Chavarria. Lâg is most popular for its guitars. Lâg has produced guitars since 1980, starting with Beast superstrat models to arkane, which is the most popular and requested from all. They are designed in a small custom shop in the south of France. Phil Campbell of Motörhead and Charles Hedger of Cradle of filth use LÂG guitars. Roger Edwards - Wolverhampton of Joe Takes Brooklyn uses LAG Electro Acoustic.
- also known as LÂG, LAG GUITARS
- official website: www.lagguitars.com
- "Lag" is a musical album of Katamine.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Lag" is a composition.
- music by Eric Hadley
Lag a.k.a. Łąg is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Czersk, within Chojnice County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland. It lies approximately 8 kilometres north-east of Czersk, 37 km north-east of Chojnice, and 71 km south-west of the regional capital Gdańsk.
- Lag: In online gaming, lag is a noticeable delay between the action of players and the reaction of the server. Although lag may be caused by high latency, it may also occur due to insufficient processing power in the client and/or server.
- also known as 延遲
- Lag a.k.a. Laag is a frazione of the comune of Neumarkt in South Tyrol in the Italian region of Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, located about 30 km northeast of the city of Trento and about 25 km south of the city of Bolzano. Laag is situated on the plain on the left side of the Adige river.
- also known as Låg
- Lag a.k.a. Langi Language: Rangi or Langi is a Bantu language of spoken by the Rangi people of Kondoa District in the Dodoma Region of Central Tanzania. Whilst the language is known as Rangi in English and Kirangi in the dominant Swahili spoken throughout the African Great Lakes, the self-referent term is Kilaangi.
- also known as Irangi, Kilangi, Langi, Rangi, Kirangi, Rangi language
- Lag a.k.a. Stathmin is a protein.
- read more about Stathmin
- Lag a.k.a. stathmin 1/oncoprotein 18 is a gene.
- also known as prosolin, oncoprotein 18, metablastin, phosphoprotein 19, leukemia-associated phosphoprotein p18, stathmin 1
- Lag: In online gaming, Lag is a term used to describe delays between the action of players and the reaction of the server. Although it is commonly used to refer to delays caused by high latency, it is occasionally used to describe delays caused by insufficient processing power in the client and/or server. While all communication between a client and server, or even between hardware components in the same machine, will experience a certain amount of lag, the term is usually reserved for delays noticeable to the user.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lag
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Stagflation - by David A Vines, J. M. Maciejowski, J. E. Meade
There are four important lags to be considered: (1) What we may call the recognition lag is the time that it takes for the authorities to realise that there is a divergence of the actual from the desired level of any one of the targets. (2) What we may ...
by Maureen Burton, Reynold F. Nesiba, Bruce Brown
The recognition lag is the length of time it takes for policy makers to recognize that an unexpected and significant change in the economy's performance has occurred. The policy lag is the time between the point when the need for action is ...
by Tihomir Stucka
The production lag is the time needed to undertake modifications in supply capacities and supply patterns. In other words, producers might choose to wait until they become convinced that the currency reflects a definite trend and a profit ...
Theory and Policy by D. N. Dwivedi
The inside lag refers to the time lost in (a) identifying the nature of the problem, (b ) identifying the sources of the problem, (c) assessing the magnitude of the problem, (d) choice of appropriate policy action, and (d) implementation of policy ...
by Timothy D. Tregarthen, Libby Rittenberg
Impact lag is the delay between the time a policy goes into effect and the time the policy has its impact on the economy. Imperfect competition exists in an industry with more than one firm and in which at least one firm is a price setter.
by Chris C. Shaw
IMAGE LAG AND GHOSTING Image lag is the residual signal retained in the detector pixels after readout that is released...
Image lag is a function of x-ray exposure and frame rate, and it is typically quantified as the percentage residual ...
False Profits (2011)
Recovering from the Bubble Economy by Dean Baker
Only after a five-year lag is a full transcript of the meeting made available. Even this limited disclosure only came about as the result of the determined efforts of Henry Gonzalez, the long-time chairman of the House Banking Committee. Despite ...
Hope for Film (2014)
From the Frontline of the Independent Cinema Revolutions by Ted Hope
But the time lag is a shame. In the narra- tive-feature world, only 6 percent of directors are female. Coincidentally, eight years is also about how long it takes people to raise young kids. And Nicole had twin boys. Most filmmakers would ...
The Photomultiplier Handbook (2017)
by A. G. Wright
Nowadays, photoemission lag is a consideration, especially at long wavelengths, with the (NEA) IIIÀV photocathodes. PMT users may consider that (1) to (4) are the concern of the designer and not the user. However, knowledge of these ...
by Yadolah Dodge
lag hysteresis Li-norm or least absolute deviation (LAD) method. The minimization of the Lp-norm for p = oc is known as the minimax method. Lachenbruch's method A cross-validation technique for estimating mis- ...
by Elmar Waibl
-s definition of terms, conceptual expiication conceptual distinction s begriffliche Unterscheidung f (lag, lan) conceptual explication s Begriffsbestimmung f (lag, lan) —> definition of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lag
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lag
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: charlie 13N
- Manganse Lag
From an outcrop of dull ore
Photo credit: ryguywy
- Lag Kilmichael
Photo credit: sbittinger
- "Lake" Lag (and The Dish)
Photo credit: mattrubens
- Lag Kilmichael
Photo credit: sbittinger
Photo credit: K A J O
- Lag Kilmichael
Photo credit: sbittinger
- Lag la Cauma, Laax, CH
Photo credit: böhme
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Lag
Click on an item to play that video:
- Golf Exercises And Explanation For More Power Lag And Hip Speed
Golf exercises and mental strength for golf and life -...
- Lag Meaning
Video shows what lag means. late. Last; long-delayed.. Last made; hence, made of refuse; inferior.. lag synonyms: latency. lag pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- GM CEO offers apology but no explanation yet for recall lag
Senior lawmakers made clear they want answers for why General Motors took years to fix vehicles with faulty ignition switches, linked to at least 13 deaths.
- English Vocabulary: Lag
Follow Shaw English...
- Destiny: The Definition of lag
- Set up fraps properly/Lag explanation
- Pre Lag Baomer Shiur: Unlocking the true meaning of Chazal- Interview with Rabbi David Bar-Hayim
- (dragon nest) the real meaning of lag 2
- Cookie clicker hax 4 life (and the definition of lag)
- Definition of Lag
- Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai and the meaning that on Lag B'Omer
- Mcpe explanation about channel sorry for lag
- This Is The Definition Of LAG
- Poor Neko.. true meaning of lag frezze. xD
- Explanation of the lag, Sorry!
- Rabbi Shmaryanki Talks About The Hidden Meaning of Lag Baomer
- Lag proof check ticket more explanation
- The definition of LAG (runescape)
- Explanation vs team Hawaii gaming nation serious lag
- Camra lag in Kohls admin (unfixable meaning u have to leave server)
- Collapse: WiiU VC vs. WiiVC vs. iQue lag (Description)
- The epic lag in esl rev
- Native Google+ App on Galaxy Nexus - foreign language lag
- Language lag!!!!! (Minecraft survivor #1
- Sfida Esl - LAG
See also the pronunciation examples of Lag!
Quotes about Lag
This year, we must address the Colorado Paradox. We have more college degrees per capita than any state. Yet we lag the nation in the percentage of students who go on to higher education. (Bill Owens)
more quotes about lag...
Scrabble value of L1A1G2
The value of this 3-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAG
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Lag!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lag to see it in context!