On this page:
- Definition of the noun lake
- Definition of the verb lake
- Phrases with Lake
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lake
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lake
- Photos about Lake
- Videos about Lake
- Sign language
- Quotes about Lake
- Scrabble value of L1A1K5E1
- Anagrams of LAKE
- Share this page
Lake is sometimes a misspelling of lack.
The word lake is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lake
What does lake mean as a name of something?
Lake is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: lakes
- a body of (usually fresh) water surrounded by land
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- more generic terms: body of water / water = the part of the earth's surface covered with water
- more specific terms:
- artificial lake / man-made lake / reservoir = lake used to store water for community use
- bayou = a swampy arm or slow-moving outlet of a lake
- lagoon / laguna / lagune = a body of water cut off from a larger body by a reef of sand or coral
- loch = Scottish word for a lake
- lough = Irish word for a lake
- oxbow lake = a crescent-shaped lake (often temporary) that is formed when a meander of a river is cut off from the main channel
- pond / pool = a small lake
- tarn = a mountain lake
- Lake Balaton / Plattensee / Balaton = a large shallow lake in western Hungary
- Canandaigua Lake / Lake Canandaigua = a glacial lake in central New York
- Caspian Sea / Caspian = a large saltwater lake between Iran and Russia fed by the Volga River
- Cayuga Lake / Lake Cayuga = a glacial lake in central New York
- Lake Baikal / Lake Baykal / Baikal / Baykal = the largest freshwater lake in Asia or Europe and the deepest lake in the world
- Lake Chelan = a narrow very deep lake in central Washington in the Cascade Range
- Coeur d'Alene Lake = a lake in northern Idaho
- Lake Tahoe = a lake on the border between Nevada and California to the west of Carson City
- Lake Constance / Constance / Bodensee = a lake in southeastern Germany on the northern side of the Swiss Alps
- Dead Sea = a saltwater lake on the border between Israel and Jordan
- Lake Eyre / Eyre = a shallow salt lake in south central Australia about 35 feet below sea level
- Great Salt Lake = a shallow body of salt water in northwestern Utah
- Great Slave Lake = a lake in the Northwest Territories in northwestern Canada
- IJsselmeer = a shallow lake in northwestern Netherlands created in 1932 by building a dam across the entrance to the Zuider Zee
- Keuka Lake / Lake Keuka = a glacial lake in central New York
- Lake Kivu / Kivu = a lake in the mountains of central Africa between Congo and Rwanda
- Lake Albert Nyanza / Lake Albert / Mobuto Lake = a shallow lake on the border between Uganda and Congo in the Great Rift Valley
- Lake Aral / Aral Sea = a lake to the east of the Caspian Sea lying between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan
- Lake Chad / Chad = a lake in north central Africa
- Lake Champlain / Champlain = a lake in northeastern New York, northwestern Vermont and southern Quebec
- Lake Edward = a lake in the Great Rift Valley between Congo and Uganda
- Lake Erie / Erie = the 4th largest of the Great Lakes
- Lake Geneva / Lake Leman = a lake between southwestern Switzerland and France that is crossed from east to west by the Rhone
- Lake Huron / Huron = the 2nd largest of the Great Lakes
- Lake Ilmen / Ilmen = a lake in northwestern Russia
- Lake Ladoga / Ladoga = a lake in northwestern Russia to the north of St. Petersburg; the largest lake in Europe
- Lake Michigan / Michigan = the 3rd largest of the Great Lakes
- Lake Nasser / Nasser = lake in Egypt formed by dams built on the Nile River at Aswan
- Lake Malawi / Lake Nyasa = a long lake in southeastern Africa between Tanzania, Mozambique, and Malawi
- Lake Onega / Onega = lake in northwestern Russia near the border with Finland
- Lake Ontario / Ontario = the smallest of the Great Lakes
- Lake Saint Clair / Lake St. Clair = a lake between Ontario and Michigan
- Lake Superior / Superior = the largest freshwater lake in the world
- Lake Tsana / Lake Tana = a lake in northern Ethiopia
- Lake Tanganyika / Tanganyika = the longest lake in the world in central Africa between Tanzania and Congo in the Great Rift Valley
- Daryacheh-ye Orumiyeh / Lake Urmia / Urmia = a shallow saline lake in northwestern Iran between Tabriz and the western border of Turkey
- Lake Vanern / Vanern = a lake in southwestern Sweden
- Victoria Nyanza / Lake Victoria = the largest lake in Africa and the 2nd largest fresh water lake in the world
- Lake Okeechobee / Okeechobee = a lake in southeast Florida to the north of the Everglades
- Poyang = a lake in central China that is connected to the Chang Jiang by a canal
- Salton Sea = a saltwater lake in southeastern California
- Lake Seneca / Seneca Lake = a glacial lake in central New York
- Lake Winnipeg / Winnipeg = a lake in southern Canada in Manitoba
- a purplish red pigment prepared from lac or cochineal
- any of numerous bright translucent organic pigments
Alternative definition of the noun lake
- Large, landlocked, naturally occurring stretch of water.
- (In the plural) an area characterised by its many lakes; e.g., the English Lake District is often shortened to The Lakes.
- A large amount of liquid: a wine lake.
- [obsolete] An offering, sacrifice, gift.
- [obsolete, dialectal] Play, sport, fun, glee.
- [obsolete] Fine linen.
- In dyeing and painting, an often fugitive crimson or vermillion pigment derived from an organic colorant (cochineal or madder, for example) and an inorganic, generally metallic mordant.
Definition of the verb lake
What does lake mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: laked | laking | lakes
- [obsolete] To present an offering.
- [chiefly dialectal] To leap, jump, exert oneself, play.
- To make lake-red.
- Lake is an American indie pop band, signed to K Records, based in Olympia, Washington. Formed in 2007, they are also known for composing the end song to the Cartoon Network show Adventure Time, entitled "Christmas Island" or "The Island Song" . A version of the song was featured on their third album, Let's Build a Roof. Another Adventure Time episode entitled "Shh!", featured their song "No Wonder I.
- Lake is a German rock music band that formed in the early 1970s under the name Tornados, changing their name to Lake in 1973. They mostly covered material by other bands in their early years, but released three singles, Come Down/We're Gonna Rock, King Of The Rock'n Roll Party, and Sailor. In 1975 they were joined by lead singer James Hopkins-Harrison, who gave them their signature sound for the remainder of their recording career.
- genre: Rock music
- albums: "Greatest Hits", "Lake II", "Lake", "No Time for Heroes", "So What", "Paradise Island", "Hot Day", "Voices", "Ouch!", "The Blast Of Silence", "Freedom", "Lake LIVE **On the Run**", "Definitive Collection", "Paradise Way: The Very Best of Lake"
- official website: www.lake-music.de
There are other groups with in their name, like Lake Me, Gun Lake, Lake Red, Acid Lake, Bear Lake, Echo Lake, Lady Lake, Lake Soul, Loon Lake, Swan Lake, Black Lake, Lake Trout, Aerial Lake, At the Lake, Geezer Lake, Madder Lake, Madina Lake, Pigeon Lake, Vostok Lake and Hypatia Lake.
- Lake a.k.a. Lakey The Kid or Lake is a rapper from Queensbridge, New York. In 1999, Lake was released from prison after serving a seven-year sentence for, according to him, "shooting a guy in the stomach" who is said to have reported him to the police. He had been writing rhymes while in prison and attempted to get into the hip-hop industry once he was released. Lake is famously known as a friend and business partner of fellow Queensbridge rapper Nas. He appeared on the song "Revolutionary Warfare" on Nas' album, God's Son and a song titled 1 never knows. Since he appeared on Nas' album, Lake's relationship has folded with Nas.
- read more about Lakey The Kid
- Lake a.k.a. Arcadia Lake: Michelle M. Carpenter better known by her screen name of Arcadia Lake was a pornographic actress, best known for her portrayal of Tammy in the 1978 film Debbie Does Dallas.
- read more about Arcadia Lake
- "Lake": Lake is the self-titled first studio album by Lake, released in Germany in 1976 and the USA in 1977. The track "Time Bomb" was the band's highest charting single of their career.
- "Lake" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Lake" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music and lyrics by Anna Palm
- "Lake" is a musical album of Lake.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Lake" is a 2014 short drama film written and directed by Asuka Sylvie.
- country: New Zealand
- producer: Melissa Dodds
- production design by Michelle Freeman
- written by Asuka Sylvie
- cinematography by Stefan Duscio
- edited by Simon Price
- costume design by Terzann Elliott
- genres: Fantasy, Family, Drama
- released in
- official website: www.lakeshortfilm.com
- "Lake" is a 2013 short, drama, animation film written and directed by Steven Subotnick.
"Lake" is an artwork by Chandrakant Mandare.
- Lake is a fictional character from the 2010 horror film My Soul to Take.
- Lake is a fictional character from the 1960 film The Jailbreakers.
- Lake is a fictional character from the 2011 film You Instead.
- Lake is a fictional character in the 2013 film Gerontophilia.
There are other characters with in their name, like Blue Lake, Cass Lake, Doug Lake, John Lake, Agnes Lake, Kelly Lake, Linda Lake, Peter Lake, Sandy Lake, Susan Lake, Glenda Lake, Placid Lake, Sylvia Lake, Brielle Lake, Chester Lake, Willard Lake, Nathalie Lake, Veronica Lake, Lady of the Lake and Dr. Stephanie Lake.
- Lake is a town in Newton and Scott counties, Mississippi. The population was 408 at the 2000 census. Lake is the birthplace of country music singer Randy Houser.
- Lake: The Town of Lake was formerly a town in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States, which existed from January 2, 1838 to April 6, 1954.
- Lake is an 'L' station on the CTA's Red Line in the Chicago Loop that is part of the State Street Subway. Lake is a transfer station between the Red Line and the Brown, Green, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines at the State/Lake station and the Blue Line via the Pedway.
- Lake is an unincorporated community located in Fremont County in the U.S. state of Idaho. It is located at 44°40′1″N 111°23′34″W / 44.66694°N 111.39278°W.
- Lake Station is a freeway-median light rail station in the Los Angeles County Metro Rail system. It is located below North Lake Avenue in the median of the 210 Freeway in Pasadena, California. The station is served by the Gold Line.
- Lake is a neighborhood of San Francisco, San Francisco Bay Area.
- Lake is a town in Price County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,319 at the 2000 census. The unincorporated community of Kennedy is located in the town. The ghost town of Kaiser was also located in the town.
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, Missouri: Lake is a place located in St. Louis County in the State of Missouri in the United States of America. It is located at latitude 38°40'46" North, longitude 90°31'12" West.
- read more about Lake, Missouri
- Lake a.k.a. Lake Township is a township in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,049 at the 2010 census.
- read more about Lake Township
- Lake is a town in Marinette County, Wisconsin, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 1,064.
- Lake a.k.a. Lake Township is a civil township of Benzie County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 759 at the 2010 census. The township is irregularly shaped, following the shore of Lake Michigan from Crystal Lake north to Leelanau County. A portion of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is located in the northern end of the township.
- read more about Lake Township
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, Louisiana: Lake is an unincorporated community located in Ascension Parish, Louisiana, United States. Lake is located at latitude 30°17'59" north, longitude 90°51'10" west.
- read more about Lake, Louisiana
- Lake is an unincorporated community in Laurel County, Kentucky, United States.
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, Maryland: Lake is an unincorporated community in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. It is located at latitude 39°23'29" North, longitude 76°38'28" West.
- read more about Lake, Maryland
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, Virginia: Lake is an unincorporated community in Northumberland County, Virginia, United States. Lake is situated along the Coan River, a tidal tributary of the Potomac River.
- read more about Lake, Virginia
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, Oklahoma: Lake is an unincorporated community in Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States. It is located at latitude 36°8'24" North, longitude 96°4'54" West.
- read more about Lake, Oklahoma
- Lake a.k.a. Lake, West Virginia: Lake is an unincorporated community in Logan County, West Virginia, United States. Lake is 4.5 miles east-northeast of Mitchell Heights. Lake has a post office with ZIP code 25121.
- read more about Lake, West Virginia
- Lake a.k.a. Lake railway station is a station on the Isle of Wight serving the village of Lake. Until the construction of an interchange station with the Isle of Wight Steam Railway at Smallbrook Junction in 1991, this station was the newest on the island having opened in 1987. The Station is formed of only a single wooden platform with a shelter. The trains that serve this station are Class 483s.
- part of United Kingdom
There are other places with in their name, like A Lake, Ash Lake, Bar Lake, Bay Lake, Big Lake, Dal Lake, Elk Lake, Ena Lake, Fox Lake, Gem Lake, Gun Lake, Ham Lake, Kir Lake, Lake Ann, Lake Tai, Lake Van, Lax Lake, Mud Lake, Oak Lake and Ray Lake.
- Lake is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Lake is a print ad.
- award: - Clio Award for Out of Home nomination for Publicis Mexico
- Lake is a website.
- official website: stateofwisconsin.info/people/Lake
- Lake is a family name.
Phrases with Lake
Phrases starting with the word Lake:
- lake bed
- lake aral
- lake chub
- Lake Disc
- lake duck
- lake mead
- Lake Poet
- Lake Chubs
- lake keuka
- Lake Miwok
- lake nyasa
- lake poets
- Lake Prawn
- lake trout
- lake volta
Phrases ending with the word Lake:
View more phrases with the word Lake in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lake
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Comprising a Series of Gazetteers of the Several States and Territories. Maine by John Hayward
Grand Lake is the source of the river St. Croix.
Moosehead Lake is the largest collection of fresh water in Maine, if not in New England. It is 40 miles...
Black Swan Lake (2013)
Life of a Wetland by Rodney James Giblett
The lake is a dried-up bowl, dusty, eerie, silent, like a crater of the moon. The lakebed is...
by Asian Development Bank
Dian Chi Lake is a large, freshwater fault lake located on the YunnanGuizhou Plateau in Kunming, 1,886 meters above sea...
Lugu Lake is an alpine lake at an elevation of 2,691 meters located in the North West Yunnan plateau bordering ...
by Wendy Lautner
The 2-mile ascent to Paradise Lake is a steep series of dusty switchbacks through thick mixed conifer forest. Near the top of the grade, a colorful hillside comes into view before you reach Paradise Lake. After 2 miles of walking along the ...
Railways and Waterways (1999)
Through The White Mountains by Bruce D. Heald Ph.D.
Profile Lake is a beautiful mountain tarn located at the foot of Cannon Mountain and nearly surrounded by forests. It was formerly called Ferrin's Pond and then the Old Man's Washbowl. The pond above Profile Lake is the source ...
by John Bouvier, Francis Rawle
LAKE. A body of water surrounded by land, or not forming part of the ocean, and occupying a depression below the ordinary drainage level of the region. Cent. Diet The fact that there Is a current from a higher to a lower level does not make ...
Michigan Encyclopedia (1999)
by Jennifer Herman
The Portage Lake Vertical Lift Bridge links the two cities. HOUGHTON, Township; Keweenaw County; ...
by Marcus Baker
Iliamna; lake, largest in Alaska, a few feet above sea level, alxmt 0n miles long and from 15 to 25 miles wide, between Bristol bay and Cook inlet. Named Shelekof by the Russians as early as 1802, but now universally known by its native name ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lake
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lake
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: samueldotj
Photo credit: martin b2005
Photo credit: samueldotj
Photo credit: solarisgirl
Crater Lake National Park
Photo credit: nickspicture
Photo credit: mamamia05
Photo credit: Hamedog
Photo credit: Makoto Okuda
Photo credit: Hamedog
Photo credit: Infomastern
Photo credit: Daniel Avelino
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Photo credit: .v1ctor Casale.
Mazurian lake reflecting a stand of trees in the background, whilst in the foreground a marker shows where the lake had risen and flooded a trackway.
Photo credit: whitehart1882
Photo credit: Kev Herrera
- Lake view
Winter is coming.
Photo credit: Free the Image
- Lake Sprocket
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Lake Orhid Macedonia
Photo credit: Living In Thailand
Photo credit: Kev Herrera
- Lake district
Photo credit: rich_f28
View more pictures about Lake Bled.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Lake
Click on an item to play that video:
- Toutle Lake Idiom Movie
- Erik Lake - Twins - Terminology Records
Erik Lake - Twins - TERM011...
- Table Rock Lake's Definition of Cozy! 300 Stock Cove Road, Lampe MO
Table Rock Lake's Definition of "COZY":300 Stock Cove Road! Peacefully situated on 5 pristine ac. & surrounded by forest, this authentic-yet EXTREMELY ...
- Erik Lake - Maracaibo - Terminology Records
Erik Lake - Maracaibo - TERM008...
- Erik Lake - Isle Of Bes - (Terminology Records)
Erik Lake - Isle Of Bes - TERM005...
- Lake Meaning
Video shows what lake means. A small stream of running water; a channel for water; a drain.. A large, landlocked stretch of water.. A large amount of liquid; as, ...
- Landforms - Lake and Definition
Hand signal and definition for lake.
- Mono Lake explanation-rock formations (actually salt) explained!
Sister lake to the Great Salt Lake of Utah, Mono Lake was rescued from becoming totally obliviated by urban water demand only through the efforts of concerned ...
- Erik Lake - Hadron - (Terminology Records)
Erik Lake - Hadron - TERM003...
- 2013 - Linus - True Meaning of Christmas (Lake Nona Lights)
- Introduction of Lake Kuyucuk in Azerbaijani Language
Introduction of Lake Kuyucuk in Azerbaijani Language.
- Lake White Earth in Dakota language
Since the official change of name of Lake Calhoun to Bde Maka Ska, some confusion as to pronouncing the words has risen. Being Lakota from Pine Ridge, and ...
- Lake Babine Nation Language Series: Colours
A short video of colours.
- Uros Indians on the Titicaca Lake island greeting tourists with aymara language song
Uros Indians on the Lake Titicaca welcome tourists with original, aymara language song.
- Description Of The Anjigaming Lake Outpost Camp
A detailed description of the Anjigaming outpost camp with Park's Fly In Fishing Trips out of Chapleau.
- Introduction of Lake Kuyucuk in Estonian Language
Introduction of Lake Kuyucuk in Estonian Language.
View more videos about Dry lake, Red Lake, The Lake, Salt lake, Soda lake, Swan Lake, West Lake, Great Lake, Lake Trout, Moses Lake, Oxbow lake, Quake Lake, Storm Lake, Crater lake, Kettle Lake, Lake Effect, Lake Placid, Lake School, Madina Lake, Sebago Lake, Silver Lake, Walled Lake, Lake Agassiz, Lacrimal lake, Lake Michigan, Medicine Lake, St. Mary Lake, Moosehead Lake, Meromictic lake, Subglacial lake, Lake stratification, and Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.
See also the pronunciation examples of Lake!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Lake
It was night and I could see a large and calm lake, reflecting the moon. Black mountains rose around it. I arrived from between two of these mountains, I looked at the lake and the moon, and that was it, nothing else happened. (Georges Simenon)
more quotes about lake...
Scrabble value of L1A1K5E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAKE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Lake!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lake to see it in context!