The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun lapse:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb lapse:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun lapse
- Definition of the verb lapse
- Phrases with Lapse
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lapse
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lapse
- Photos about Lapse
- Video about Lapse
- Quotes about Lapse
- Scrabble value of L1A1P3S1E1
- Anagrams of LAPSE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun lapse
What does lapse mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lapses
- a mistake resulting from inattention
- a break or intermission in the occurrence of something
- a failure to maintain a higher state
Alternative definition of the noun lapse
- A temporary failure; a slip.
- A decline or fall in standards.
- A pause in continuity.
- An interval of time between events.
- A termination of a right etc, through disuse or neglect.
- (weather) A marked decrease in air temperature with increasing altitude because the ground is warmer than the surrounding air. This condition usually occurs when skies are clear and between 1100 and 1600 hours, local time. Strong convection currents exist during lapse conditions. For chemical operations, the state is defined as unstable. This condition is normally considered the most unfavorable for the release of chemical agents. See lapse rate.
- [legal] A common-law rule that if the person to whom property is willed were to die before the testator, then the gift would be ineffective.
Definition of the verb lapse
What does lapse mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: lapsed | lapsing | lapses
- pass into a specified state or condition
- end, at least for a long time
- example: The correspondence lapsed
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] from [Source] [Theme] There vanished from the library a valuable manuscript [Theme] [Verb] The crowd vanished
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic words: cease / end / finish / stop / terminate = have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense
- drop to a lower level, as in one's morals or standards
- go back to bad behavior
- let slip
- pass by
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 2
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of lapse: elapse / glide by / go along / go by / pass / slide by / slip away / slip by
- more generic terms: advance / go on / march on / move on / pass on / progress = move forward, also in the metaphorical sense
- more specific words: vanish / fell / fly = pass away rapidly
Alternative definition of the verb lapse
- [intransitive] To fall away gradually; to subside
- [intransitive] To fall into error or heresy
- To slip into a bad habit that one is trying to avoid.
- [intransitive] To become void
Lapse a.k.a. The Lapse was an American indie band formed in late 1997. The band was first signed to Gern Blandsten, then Southern Records. The Lapse was the duo of then boyfriend/girlfriend Chris Leo and Toko Yasuda. They formed The Lapse after the breakup of their previous band, The Van Pelt. The Lapse had Leo on guitar and Yasuda on bass with both handling vocals.
- read more about The Lapse
- "Lapse" is a musical album of Instincts.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Lapse" is a musical album of To Release.
- released on
- "Lapse" is a musical EP of Pulse Bizarre.
"Lapse" is a 2013 short, animation, adventure, fantasy film, written and directed by Jahaira Torres.
- country: United States of America
- producer: Jahaira Torres
- based on a story by Jahaira Torres
- genres: Animation, Adventure Film, Fantasy
- released in
Phrases with Lapse
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lapse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Textbook of Diabetes (2011)
by Richard I. G. Holt, Clive Cockram, Allan Flyvbjerg, Barry J. Goldstein
A common lapse is the omission or reduction of insulin during episodes with impaired well- being and poor appetite. Persistent ketosis should be treated with extra insulin, fluid and carbohydrate, when necessary. Furthermore, it is very ...
The Big Picture (2009)
Filmmaking Lessons from a Life on the Set by Tom Reilly
Regardless of whether the time lapse is a flashback or a flash-forward, short or long, there are a number of possible ...
by John E. Oliver
Thus the moist adiabatic lapse rate (or pseudo-adiabatic since it is not truly adiabatic) is less than the dry rate due to the added heat. Following Byers (1959): dT L Cr dw. Evaporating an amount of liquid water dw produces an amount of vapor ...
by Dr. Stephen H. Schneider, Dr. Michael Mastrandrea, Terry L. Root
While beneath the base of a convective cloud a parcel of rising air cools at the dry adiabatic lapse rate, within the cloud the addition of latent heat must be considered, ...
by Thomas Moore
"LANTERN— LAPSE 261 LANTERN. In Gothic architecture the term usually signifies a tower, which has the whole, or a considerable portion, of the interior open to view from the ground, and is lighted by an upper tier of windows ; lantern ...
by John Houston Merrill, Charles Frederic Williams, Thomas Johnson Michie, David Shephard Garland
A benefice is said to lapse when the patron does not exercise the right of presentment within six calendar months after the avoidance of the benefice. In such case there is a devolution of the rights of patronage from a neglectful patron to the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lapse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lapse
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hyper lapse Ocean
Photo credit: Mind on Fire Photography
View more pictures about Time Lapse.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Lapse
Video shows what lapse means. A temporary failure; a slip.. A decline or fall in standards.. A pause in continuity.. lapse synonyms: blooper, blunder, boo-boo, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Lapse!
Quotes about Lapse
Scrabble value of L1A1P3S1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAPSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Lapse!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lapse to see it in context!