The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb launch:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun launch
- Definition of the verb launch
- Phrases with Launch
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Launch
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Launch
- Photos about Launch
- Video language resources about Launch
- Sign language
- Quotes about Launch
- Scrabble value of L1A1U1N1C3H4
- Anagrams of LAUNCH
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun launch
What does launch mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: launches
- a motorboat with an open deck or a half deck
- the act of propelling with force
Alternative definition of the noun launch
- The act of launching.
- The movement of a vessel from land into the water; especially, the sliding on ways from the stocks on which it is built. (Compare: to splash a ship.)
- [context: nautical] The boat of the largest size and/or of most importance belonging to a ship of war, and often called the "captain's boat" or "captain's launch".
- [context: nautical] A boat used to convey guests to and from a yaucht.
- [context: nautical] An open boat of any size powered by steam, naphtha, electricity, or the like. (Compare Spanish lancha.)
Definition of the verb launch
What does launch mean as a doing word?
Launch is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: launched | launching | launches
- set up or found
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Zellig Harris established Penn's linguistics department [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] by [Oblique] We began the campaign by soliciting donations | We initiated the campaign by soliciting donations [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] with [Instrument] I began the party with a speech | I opened the event with a speech
Aspectual Verbs (with the same syntax): arrange, bring about, devise, establish, fake, feign, format, found, implement, initiate, instigate, institute, introduce, mount, open, open up, organize, originate, plant, prepare, simulate, strike up, synthesise.
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of launch: establish / found / set up
- more generic terms: open / open up = start to operate or function or cause to start operating or functioning
- propel with force
- examples: launch the space shuttle | Launch a ship
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Destination] [Theme] Steve tossed John the ball [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Steve tossed the ball [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I threw the package away [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination or Locative Preposition] [Destination] Steve tossed the ball to the garden [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Steve tossed the ball from the corner [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] at / to / towards / for [Destination] Steve tossed the ball from the corner to the garden [Cause] [Verb] [Theme] into [Oblique] The proposal throws the House's work into chaos [Cause] [Verb] into [Oblique] [Theme] The proposal throws into chaos the House's proposal
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic words: impel / propel = cause to move forward with force
- more specific terms:
- launch for the first time; launch on a maiden voyage
- begin with vigor
- get going; give impetus to
- example: launch a career
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 2
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of launch: set in motion
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- smoothen the surface of
Alternative definition of the verb launch
- [transitive] To throw, as a lance or dart; to hurl; to let fly; to take off, propel with force
- [transitive, obsolete] To strike with, or as with, a lance; to pierce.
- [transitive] To cause to move or slide from the land into the water; to set afloat; as, to launch a ship.
- [transitive] To send out; to start (one) on a career; to set going; to give a start to (something); to put in operation.
- [intransitive, often with out] To move with force and swiftness like a sliding from the stocks into the water; to plunge; to make a beginning; as, to launch into the current of a stream; to launch into an argument or discussion; to launch into lavish expenditures.
Launch a.k.a. Lunch is a fictional character from the anime series Dragon Ball.
- read more about Lunch
- "Launch" is a composition.
- music by Masashi Hamauzu
- "Launch" a.k.a. "Launch!" is a musical album of CCIVORY.
- released in (6 years ago)
- "Launch" is a musical album of Jazzattakk.
- released in (16 years ago)
- Launch a.k.a. Boat: A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to work or travel on water. Small boats are typically found on inland or in protected coastal areas. However, boats such as the whaleboat were designed for operation from a ship in an offshore environment. In naval terms, a boat is a vessel small enough to be carried aboard another vessel. Another less restrictive definition is a vessel that can be lifted out of the water. Some definitions do not make a distinction in size, as 1000-foot bulk freighters on the Great Lakes are called oreboats. For reasons of naval tradition, submarines are usually referred to as 'boats' rather than 'ships', regardless of their size and shape.
- Launch: A launch is an open motorboat. The forward part of the launch may be covered. Prior to the era of engines on small craft, a launch was the largest boat carried on a sailing vessel, powered by sail or by oars. In competitive rowing, a launch is a motorized boat used by the coach during training.
- also known as 동력선, lancha
- LAUNCH is a program sponsored by NASA, Nike, US Agency for International Development, and the US Department of State that seeks sustainable innovations through quasi-annual challenges, forums, and a business accelerator. The program began in 2010 and has since focused on themes such as energy, health, water, and waste solutions.
Phrases with Launch
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Launch
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gilles Beneplanc, Jean-Charles Rochet
= 25%, This means that if the first launch is a failure, then the (revised) probability of the technology to be safe is now ...
The Logic of Microspace (2000)
by Rick Fleeter
Your launch is the culmination of ...
by S.P. Singh
Launching A new product launch is a crucial and critical issue for a firm. The success...
by Assembly of Engineering (U.S.). Committee on Automation in Combat Aircraft
Launch and Ingress Phases The launch phase is a subset of the ingress phase, since the only issue during launch is the receipt and treatment of updated threat and target information — also important during ingress. Currently, verbal ...
Encyclopedia of Space (2009)
by Heather Couper, Nigel Henbest
Kagoshima and Tanegashima launch only at limited times to protect Iapan's fishing industry. O Tanegashim_a_r_ COUNTDOWN THE FINAL PART OP EVERY LAUNCH CAMPAIGN begins when. LAUNCH LOCATIONS Several factors ...
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering. With Indexical References to Technical Journals (1876-1880.) by Edward Henry Knight
LAUNCH ENGINK. 531 LAUNCH ENGINE. Fig. 1549. Launch Engine Boiler ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
LAUNCH, v. länsh [F. lancer; It lanciare, violently to throw, to hurl—from L. lanced, a lance]: to dart or let fly; to commence, as an enterprise; to move or cause to move into the water, as a ship; to go or fly off; to go or send forth; to plunge; ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
launch pad — (*) A concrete or other hard surface area on which a missile launcher is positioned.
Volume 20 - Supplement 3 by James Swarbrick, James C. Boylan
Process research and development play a key role in shortening the overall timeline from candidate identification to drug launch. On an average, it takes about 10-15 years from discovery to launch a drug into the market at a cost in excess of ...
Marketing dictionary (2000)
by Wolfgang J. Koschnick
launch phase Einfuhrungsphase/, Einfiihrungs- ...
by A. Bowdoin Van Riper
The stresses imposed by firing the rockets under launch conditions caused the joints to twist and flex, creating space for the hot gases to flow past the primary O- rings, charring them into uselessness and sometimes damaging the secondary ...
by David Crolla
Launch control means many things to different people. It can mean simply the method by which a vehicle accelerates from rest or a dedicated function designed to extract the maximum possible acceleration from a vehicle in a race or simulated ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Launch
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Launch
Click on an item to view that photo:
- BRC launch
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Shuttle launch
Launch of Shuttle Discovery
Photo credit: Jim Moore
- Gemini IV Launch
Launch of Gemini IV
Image #: s65-29648
Date: June 3, 1965
- Ducati Launch
Photo credit: Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer
- Shuttle Launch
- Rocket Launch
Science in the Park: Flight
Photo credit: Trevor Prentice
- Jobs launch
Photo credit: The Green Party / Comhaontas Glas
- Ducati Launch
Photo credit: Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer
View more pictures about Launch Party.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Launch
Click on an item to play that video:
- Bhagyaraj Double Meaning Joke about "Mami" - Patra Movie Audio Launch - RedPix 24x7
Bhagyaraj Double Meaning Joke about "Mami" - Patra Movie Audio Launch - RedPix 24x7 "tamil news paper" "sun news" "news india" 'tamilnews" Dinamalar, ...
- Pawanism Definition By R Narayana Murthy | Pawanism Song Launch
Pawanism Definition By R Narayana Murthy at Rey Telugu Movie Pawanism Song Launch Press Meet starring Sai Dharam Tej, Saiyami Kher, Shraddha Das, ...
- Vivek's Funny Speech | Girls like double meaning dialogues | Yaaruda Mahesh Audio Launch
Yaaruda Mahesh is an Tamil romantic comedy film directed by R. Madhan Kumar, starring Sundeep Kishan and Dimple Chopade. It also has the likes of Jagan, ...
- Manivannan's funny explanation on Kalaignar Karunanidhi's movie Ilaignan | Nagaraja Cholan Launch
Nagaraja cholan ma mla, Audio Launch: Manivannan is back after a long break. It is a sequel to his "Amaidhi Padai" which was a super hit comedy film.
- Balakrishna Explains The Real Meaning Of NTR - Lion Audio Launch
Watch Balakrishna's Latest Film Lion Movie Audio Launch. For...
- RAD - Skate slang + How to Build a Launch Ramp
Marc Churchill shows you how to build yourself a basic lauch ramp. This was rescued from dodgy old VHS tapes. This is from an old Saturday morning show ...
- Definition Apparel Clothing Launch Commercial Shot By Kingchuckmula
- SS Rajamouli Emotional Explanation About Postponement of Baahubali Audio Launch
Tollywood Director SS Rajamouli Addressed a Press Meet and Emotionally Explaned about Postponement of Baahubali Audio Launch which was scheduled on ...
- Salman Khan Explains The Real Meaning Of Dabangg - Jai Ho Trailer Launch
Bollywood dabangg Salman Khan at the launch of his upcoming film Jai Ho trailer, explains the true meaning of Dabangg. Watch the video to know more.
- Usborne Books Reach for the Stars Launch Explanation
Usborne Books Reach for the Stars Program Explained.
- Launch Meaning
Video shows what launch means. To throw, as a lance or dart; to hurl; to let fly; to send off, propel with force.. To pierce with, or as with, a lance.. To cause to ...
- Brahmanandam Funny Double Meaning Dialogues at Pandaga Chesko Audio Launch | NTV
Brahmanandam Funny Double Meaning Dialogues at Pandaga Chesko Audio Launch | NTV Watch NTV Telugu News Channel, popular Telugu News channel ...
- Mutual Funds - Meaning, Launch, Types, Charges, Investment, SIP
Everything you want to know about Mutual Funds. Meaning, Launch, Types, Charges, Investment, SIP slides made by Pankaj Soni.
- Launch Explanation
An explanation of the goals and objectives of Launch, a 3-year funding effort by St. John Lutheran church in Ellisville, MO.
- The Observant Jew - Soft Launch - Meaning in a Minute
- Spruha Joshi Explains The Meaning Of Lopamudra - Book Launch - Swanand Kirkire
Share this video on Facebook...
- FAB 94.3 Delayed Launch Explanation - January 5, 2011 - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- HTC One Launch Event 2013 - Explanation Blink Feed, Boom Audio, HTC Joe
HTC One Launch Event. Boom Audio, Blink Feed, HTC Joe Explanation. Detail Review of HTC One Smart Phone. Event Highlights.
- 2012 BMW Motorrad Community launch for all riders & brands video explanation
2012 BMW Motorrad Helmets design test & production official video. 2012 BMW Motorrad Tour Tracker App promotional video / See more BMW videos /...
- Huawei Ascend Mate7 Philippines Launch, Features Demo and Explanation
Mr. Al Dimapilis, Marketing Manager of Huawei Device Philippines, explains the key features of Huawei Ascend Mate7 during the phablet's launch at The Palace ...
- ProfessU Launch Event- Fonzworth Bentley: "Clothing is Language"
- Walkalong Glider Flight School: Tumbling Wing Launch, Sustained and Controlled Flight Description
by the Author of Build and Pilot Your Own Walkalong Gliders...
- ESL Matters Launch on OMNI TV - Punjabi
OMNI TV - March 18, 2014 ESL Matters launch and interview with Harpal Malhi, Chairperson of the Students' Union of Vancouver Community College.
- Univision News - Univision and ABC News launch new English language network
On Monday ABC News and Univision announced a new joint venture, an English language cable network and a website. The website will be launched this ...
- New Launch Video - Swype 1.4 Living Language
The new Swype keyboard continues to grow more intuitive and intelligent with its new Living Language. An evolution of the Hotwords feature announced in ...
- Launch X 431 V+ Hardware Software & Language Show
ew Launch X431 V+ Wifi/Bluetooth Global Version Full system scanner Highlights: 1. Supported Languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, ...
- MDRA launch ESL 199
- The Making of Bhagavad Gita Documentary Launch | by Governor E.S.L Narasimhan | Full Event
Watch the sneak peak of the Making of Bhagavadgita Documentary by Sri Gangadhara Sastry, Lnaugurated by Governor E.S.L Narasimhan on 17th December ...
- WCMS 2008 Rocket Launch -- Description
Stuart describes his 2008 WCMS 8th grade bottle rocket. BOM: 2 ea. 2 Liter Pop Bottles, 10 feet of yarn, tape, Markers, 2 8x11 pcs. of paperboard or posterboard, ...
- Lifeplus English Language New Brand Launch Film
Lifeplus reveals its new look and feel with a video that launches the new brand..
See also the pronunciation examples of Launch!
Launch of Sign Language Communications
Why are some Deaf Society interpreting services changing names? Sign Language Communications will be the new business name used by all state Deaf ...
Quotes about Launch
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, this is no other life but this. (Henry David Thoreau)
more quotes about launch...
Scrabble value of L1A1U1N1C3H4
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAUNCH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Launch!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Launch to see it in context!