On this page:
- Definition of the noun lava
- Phrases with Lava
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lava
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lava
- Photos about Lava
- Video language resources about Lava
- Sign language
- Quotes about Lava
- Scrabble value of L1A1V4A1
- Anagrams of LAVA
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lava
What does lava mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lavas
- rock that in its molten form (as magma) issues from volcanos; lava is what magma is called when it reaches the surface
- examples: The volcano shoots out flames and lava. | The lava burned away the houses at the edge of the village. | Tom is a solid and determined man, but sometimes he's as impetuous as a river of molten lava. | Announced on the 16th of October of 2012, Alpha Centauri Bb may be the closest planet outside our Solar System and may be a "lava world." | Lava lamps are awesome. | The floor is lava! | Tom and Mary played a game pretending that the floor is lava. | Puyehue Volcano keeps on spewing lava. | Mount Etna has erupted, sending lava and ash plumes into the Sicilian sky.
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic term: volcanic rock = extrusive igneous rock solidified near or on the surface of the Earth
- more specific terms:
- "Lava" is a 2014 animated musical short film, produced by Pixar Animation Studios. Directed by James Ford Murphy and produced by Andrea Warren, it premiered at the Hiroshima International Animation Festival on June 14, 2014 and will be theatrically released with Pixar's Inside Out on June 19, 2015.
- "Lava" a.k.a. "Lavaa" is a 1985 family drama film written by Anees Bazmee, Ravindra Peepat and Vinay Shukla and directed by Ravindra Peepat.
- read more about Lavaa
- "Lava" is a 2001 film directed by Joe Tucker.
- "Lava" is a 1980 Indian Malayalam film, directed by Hariharan and produced by GP Balan. The film stars Prem Nazir, Jagathy Sreekumar, Prameela and Sathar in lead roles. The film had musical score by G. Devarajan.
- "Lava" a.k.a. "A Tale of Adam Mickiewicz's 'Forefathers' Eve": A Tale of Adam Mickiewicz's 'Forefathers' Eve is a 1989 film directed by Tadeusz Konwicki.
- read more about A Tale of Adam Mickiewicz's 'Forefathers' Eve
- Lava is a fictional character from the 1963 film Lava Kusa.
- Lava is a fictional character from the 2000 film Bring It On.
- Lava a.k.a. André Lavaquial is a cinematographer, casting director, film director and producer.
- read more about André Lavaquial (film director)
- Lava a.k.a. J. Lava is a pornographic actress.
- read more about J. Lava (actress)
Phrases with Lava
Phrases starting with the word Lava:
- Lava Dock
- Lava dome
- Lava Gull
- Lava lamp
- Lava Aster
- Lava Heron
- Lava Lobelia
- Lava Dubautia
- Lava Melicope
- Lava Cyrtandra
- Lava Clermontia
- Lava Deathcamas
- Lava Hau Kuahiwi
- Lava Bur Cucumber
- Lava Burr Cucumber
Phrases ending with the word Lava:
Other phrase containing the word Lava:
View more phrases with the word Lava in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lava
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
21st International Symposium, IFL 2009, South Orange, NJ, USA, September 23-25, 2009, Revised Selected Papers by Marco T. Morazán, Sven-Bodo Scholz
Kansas Lava is a domain specific language for hardware description. Though there have...
Lava is the name given for a family of Haskell hosted Embedded DSLs for expressing (typically) gate-level hardware descriptions.
by Gary B. Shelly, Thomas J. Cashman, Joy L. Starks, Michael Mick
lava is the fastest growing programming language in the world, due in part to the design team's successful effort to make the language...
by Frank Fuller Fowle
Lava is a mineral talc, which has the chemical composition HiMgi- SuOn, or hydrated magnesium silicate, and is similar to soaps tone, pumice and talc. It is slightly soluble in hydrochloric acid, but is not attacked by other acids or alkalies.
Handbook of MRI Scanning (2012)
by Geraldine Burghart, Carol Ann Finn
3D LAVA is a high-resolution, dynamic, multi-phase T1 SPGR image with saturated fat. This contrast-enhanced sequence can identify the arterial, venous, and equilibrium phases of the liver and abdominal structures, as well as blood vessels.
The Splitting of the World (2006)
by Susie Haberfeld
Great columns of fire rose from the living core through the ocean to the surface, for indeed, lava is the flesh of Karan. The ocean was cold and the air above the ocean was cold space, unfit for life, so the flesh of Karan hardened and froze as it ...
Science Labs, Grades K-2 (2008)
by Shell Education
When magma reaches the surface, it is called lava. The lava cools and forms new rock on the ocean floor. Molten magma rises to the surface through cracks in Earth's crust.
by Amy Graham
Magma is called lava once it reaches the surface of the earth. Volcanoes and earthquakes happen most often where the tectonic plates meet. As the plates collide, the ground shakes and shifts—an earthquake has occurred. From Cornfield to ...
by Suzanne Garbe
Once the magma reaches the surface, it is called lava. Volcanoes come in different shapes and sizes. They exist on land and underwater. Some eruptions kill thousands of people, while others kill no one. Eruptions can last one day or ...
Venturing the Deep Sea (2006)
by Laurie Lindop
(Lava is the term for molten rock once it has left Earth's interior.) Walking around the photos, the FAMOUS team tried to envision what they would encounter thousands of feet below the waves. In August 1973 the French bathyscaphe began ...
by Johann Georg Heck
sometimes giving rise to lava arches such as are met with in Iceland (pi. 52, fig. 3) . Whenlava currents pour into lakes, they sometimes dry these up ; an example of this is furnished by the volcano Krabla in Iceland, whose inner crater is ...
by Jacqueline Smith
lava A molten or partly molten mass of MAGMA extruded from a volcano or volcanic fissure and the rock that forms as a result of cooling and solidification. The ac- cumulation of single extrusions, ...
by Murray Wrobel
d Glattkehlgebirgseidechse 8330 Tropidurus Squamata - Iguanaidae e Lava Lizards; Keel-tailed Lizards; Thornytails d Kielechsen; Kielschwänze; Kielschwanzleguane 8331 Tropidurus amathites Squamata ...
Firefly Geography Dictionary (2003)
by Firefly Books
LAVA occurred there was volcanic activity, for example in northern Ireland and western Scotland, similar to the present activity along the Mid-Atlantic (or Laurentia) Ridge in Iceland and elsewhere. SEE ALSO continental drift, plate tectonics ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lava
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lava
Click on an item to view that photo:
Lava flowing into the ocean near Kalapana on the Big Island of Hawaii
Photo credit: pixtory
Photo credit: Björn Groß
Photo credit: Beverly Kronfeld
Photo credit: George Alexander Ishida Newman
Kilauea lava meets the sea. Lava boat.
Photo credit: pfly
Lava from hawaii.
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
Photo credit: vidalia_11
- Lava Java
Visit summer of 07
Photo credit: 9bars
- Lava grounds
Craters of the Moon National Reserve
Photo credit: benjaminvanwaart
- Cracked lava
Crakced lava in the Icelandic highlands.
Photo credit: borkur.net
- Lava cake
Preparing lava cakes to go in the oven
Photo credit: jordanmit09
- Lava Drips
Volcano Sierra Negro & Chico
Photo credit: mountainamoeba
- Lava stone
Photo credit: Jonas B
- Lava Run
Photo credit: Nogwater
- Lava field
Photo credit: r h
- Lava Church
Photo credit: Felipe Skroski
- Pahoehoe lava
There are two main types of lava. This is "pahoehoe" lava and is the smoother variety. The other, a'a, is quite jagged.
Photo credit: TimWilson
- Lava on the car roof
Lava on the car roof. Yeah, okay, there's some other stuff there too!
Photo credit: purpaboo
- Lava Beds
Photo credit: Tom Hilton
- Lava over road
Lava over a road in Hawaii
Photo credit: Andjam79
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Lava
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lava Bending Explanation Video - Avatar the Legend of Korra
This video describes one theory of how Avatar the Legend of Korra character Ghazan achieves lava bending without firebending. Previously, it was thought that ...
- Lava Meaning
Video shows what lava means. The melted rock ejected by a volcano from its crater or fissured sides.. Magma.. lava pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Lava Stall Explanation From USGS at Pahoa Meeting (Nov. 6)
- The Whirlpool,The Paint Brush, Molten Lava / Vocabulary Dance Moves
1. The Whirlpool # 2. The Paint Brush # 3. Molten Lava.
- Lava Flyover Video with Stalled Flow Explanation by USGS Scientist
- The Floor is Lava meaning and pronunciation
1. A multiplayer game in which one person yells, "The floor is lava!" and all other players must comply and find higher ground to get to. Anywhere but the floor is ...
- Lava Heat Explanation
- Ice into lava... (Read description for explanation)
- Lava Pool Secret Door - Explanation
- Lava Roof generator and diagonal wall explanation
- Video 2 explanation of front page - XM Lava Online Stock Management Software
- Lava dome Meaning
Video shows what lava dome means. A roughly circular mound-shaped bulge that builds up from the slow eruption of viscous felsic lava from a volcano.
- Adjective // Lava Llama // Astoria
- Dont Mine NEAR LAVA! [Here's Why] [Description!]
- JumpMaze MAP20 "Canyons, Caves and Lava" in 1:02 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
- Lets play 1 lava fail!!!!! (Se description first
- JumpMaze MAP43 "Lava Laboratory" in 0:45 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
- JumpMaze MAP43 "Lava Laboratory" in 0:49 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
See also the pronunciation examples of Lava!
Live lava live in sign language!
Quotes about Lava
Scrabble value of L1A1V4A1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAVA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Lava!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lava to see it in context!