On this page:
- Definition of the noun leadership
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Leadership
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Leadership
- Photos about Leadership
- Video language resources about Leadership
- Sign language
- Quotes about Leadership
- Scrabble value of L1E1A1D2E1R1S1H4I1P3
- Anagrams of LEADERSHIP
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun leadership
What does leadership mean as a name of something?
Leadership is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: leaderships
- the activity of leading
- example: his leadership inspired the team
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of leadership: leading
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- the body of people who lead a group
- example: the national leadership adopted his plan
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of leadership: leaders
- more generic word: body = a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity
- more specific terms:
- the status of a leader
- the ability to lead
- example: he believed that leadership can be taught
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic words: ability / power = possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- more specific word: generalship = the leadership ability of a military general
Alternative definition of the noun leadership
- the capacity of someone to lead
- a group of leaders
- [dated] The office of a leader.
Specialised definition of the noun leadership
Glossary of sports
position and act of influencing individuals and groups toward set goals due to authority within a social relationship or group (Mark H. Anshel. 1991. Dictionary of the Sport and Exercise Sciences. Human Kinetics Books Champaign, Illinois)
- "Leadership" is a book written by Rudolph W. Giuliani about his time as Mayor of New York City and how he cleaned up New York City, reduced crime, and revitalized the economy of the city. Most of the book was written before the September 11, 2001 attacks, though Giuliani did include a section about his experiences that day and how he dealt with the emergency and the cleanup afterwards.
- "Leadership" is a book by Rafik Issa Beekun.
- also known as "Leadership: an Islamic perspective"
- "Leadership" is a book by Raymond E. Foster.
- genres: Economics, Business
- "Leadership" is a book by Marie France Perrin-Jassy.
- "Leadership" is a book by William Safire.
- genre: Reference
There are many other writings with this title.
"Leadership" is an artwork by Roy Thomas.
- Leadership has been described as "a process of social influence in which a person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task". For example, some understand a leader simply as somebody whom people follow, or as somebody who guides or directs others, while others define leadership as "organizing a group of people to achieve a common goal".
- also known as Öncülük, Önderlik, 領袖
- Leadership is a daily national newspaper published by Leadership Newspaper Group, based in Abuja, Nigeria. On its website, the paper asserts: "We shall stand up for good governance. We shall defend the interests of the Nigerian state even against its leaders and we shall raise our pen at all times in defence of what is right. These are the values by which we intend to be assessed".
- official website: www.leadershipeditors.com/ns
- Leadership is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal that covers the field of management studies. The founding editors-in-chief were David Collinson and Keith Grint. The current editors of the journal are Brad Jackson and Dennis Tourish. The journal was established in 2005 and is published by Sage Publications.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Leadership
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Psychodynamics of Eros and Thanatos Working in Organisations by A. Carr, C. Lapp
Leadership Is a Matter of Life and Death.
Moral Leadership Needs Leadership is the most important function of management. Moral leadership is the...
Immoral leadership is a sure path to failure and a top research need for the Quality Sciences.
by Jossey-Bass Publishers
Leadership is an identifiable set of skills and practices that are available to all of us, not just a few charismatic men and...
WITH 300 MODELS, TECHNIQUES AND TOOLS by SRINIVAS R. KANDULA
Undoubtedly, Leadership is the most talked and written about subject in various disciplines: History, Sociology, Psychology, Religion and importantly in the...
Theories for Effective Policy and Practice by James L. Bess, Jay R. Dee
“Leadership is the process by which one individual consistently exerts more influence than others in the carrying out of group...
Principles Of Management (2008)
According to Peter Drucker,2 "Leadership is the lifting of man's visions to higher sights, the raising of man's performance to a higher standard, the building of man's personality beyond its normal limitations." Alford and Beatty3 define leadership ...
Organization and Management (1982)
by R.D. Agarwal
Leadership is an important ingredient in managing. A manager cannot...
Democratic Political Process (2009)
Eisenhawler asserts: " Leadership is the ability to decide what is...
Franklin Haiman opines: " Leadership refers to the process by which an individual directs, guides, influences, ...
ASHE Higher Education Report, 39:4 by Kathy L. Guthrie, Tamara Bertrand Jones, Laura Osteen, Shouping Hu
As presentedin the introduction, the definitionof leadership guiding this monographis: leadershipisan activityto mobilize adaptivework (Heifetz,1994; Heifetz &Linsky, 2002). Adaptive leadership is the process of comingto understand andsolve ...
The Definitive Guide to Leadership Skills and Knowledge by John Adair
The Definitive Guide to Leadership Skills and Knowledge John Adair. Tough but fair ○○ The combination of toughness – or demandingness – and fairness has emerged in industry during the past 10 years as a desirable quality. 'From the last ...
Encyclopedia of Governance (2006)
by Mark Bevir
Leadership is a multidisciplinary concept. The foremost academic journal on the topic, The Leadership Quarterly, asserts that it is an international journal of the political, social, and behavioral sciences, indicating the breadth of the disciplinary ...
Men and Women in the World's Cultures Topics and Cultures A-K - Volume 1; Cultures L-Z - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
Leadership refers to public power, that is, positions people hold in organizations and society which provide them means to use power over other individuals, groups, and organizations. Leadership is defined as personal influence over other ...
by Howard, Caroline
Leadership. Competency. in. Virtual. Teams. L L L L Leadership in Technology Integration L Learning-by-Doing. Deborah Petska Northrop Grumman Information Technology, USA Zane Berge University of Maryland, Baltimore County, USA ...
by Shane J. Lopez
transformational leadership or job enrichment). An outcome domain refers to the positive results organizations seek to elicit from ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Leadership
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Leadership
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: giulia.forsythe
This kid's got it
Photo credit: 5goldpieces Photography
Photo credit: Luigi Mengato
Photo credit: gagilas
Photo credit: Johnny Silvercloud
Leadership, Tao Teh Ching.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Leadership Conference
Photo credit: JordanTEEpp
- Geospatial World Leadership Awards
Leadership Award - LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Prof. Gottfried Konecny, Professor Emeritus, IPE, Leibniz University of Hanover
Photo credit: Geospatial World
- MGS's leadership cards
courtesy of Margaret Gould Stewart
Photo credit: bschmove
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Leadership
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition of Leadership
- Leadership Definition
Leadership Definition How to lead? by African Society for Quality in Healthcare ASQH...
- Coretta Scott King: Definition of Leadership
- Frances Hesselbein Definition of Leadership
Gonzaga Mentor Gallery Clip - 2010. Frances Hesselbein Definition of Leadership . Copyright Gonzaga University 2007. Video by JesuitNET.
- So-Young Kang: Global Leadership - True Meaning of Integrity
Integrity is one of the most misunderstood and misused words in organizations. So what does it take to be someone who leads with integrity? Consciousness ...
- Leadership Definition
This simple vide provides a working definition of leadership that enhances personal leadership influence.
- Leadership Definition
Definition of Leadership.
- Leadership Definition
A working definition of leadership.
- DJ Sbu shows Top Billing the meaning of leadership
Top Billing visits the home of the inspiring and multi-talented South African icon DJ Sbu and discovers more about his new book and latest venture. From humble ...
- Shirley Chisholm : Definition of Leadership
- Adult Leadership: DEFINITION, Marianne Soler
- IBM THINK | Joi Ito Discusses The Changing Meaning Of Leadership With Errol Morris
- Leadership definition bhs
- PM Modi in Vancouver: True meaning of leadership is known when you face challenges - India TV
- Denver Post: Definition of Leadership
A key moment in the debate occurred early with a question on leadership. After Hickenlooper acknowledged that Bob will "take a hard stand" on issues, Bob ...
- Leadership Conference: The meaning of leadership
A leader is someone who creates change, Jesus Christ is a very effective leader who changed the world with his words and actions. So what is the meaning of ...
- Leadership Lesson by BKPM Chairman at Stanford University : Leadership Definition
- Definition of Authentic Leadership
What is authentic leadership? Watch this video to get the answer. Visit Leadership Soup website...
- Leadership definition
- The Definition of Leadership and What It Means To Your Career
Kimberly Wiefling, renowned leadership expert, explains the true definition of leadership. No matter where you are in your career, you can be a leader. No need ...
- Leadership Body Language
Leadership body language. The relationship between body language and leadership skills? This leadership video shows the power of an embodied approach ...
- Learning Leadership Language to Motivate Teams - Ken Rona
In Chapter 12 of 13 in his 2011 Capture Your Flag interview with host Erik Michielsen, data analytics expert Ken Rona answers "What Leadership Skills are ...
- Language of Leadership: MLK's Letter from Birmingham Jail
McCombs Management Professor James Fredrickson has been using Martin Luther King, Jr.s Letter from a Birmingham Jail in his MBA Art of Leadership class ...
- Course description: Exercising Leadership
CPL founder and King Hussein Bin Talal Senior Lecturer in Public Leadership, Ronald Heifetz describes his fall 2009 course "Exercising Leadership" ...
- Finests Leadership Description
- Language & Conversation to accessing capitol - Vusi Thembekwayo - Regenesys Leadership Conversation
Vusi Thembekwayo, CEO of Watermark Afrika Fund, discusses his views on leadership and entrepreneurship at a Regenesys Leadership Conversation on the ...
- Leadership and Language - with Rich Litvin
Rich Litvin discusses the power of using leadership and language as a coach. There are 2 keys to being a coach with power and impact that are rarely spoken ...
- Leadership is a Verb by Rachel Edwards
An extract from Rachel Edwards' talk at the BMT Conference in Manchester in May 2013. Rachel discusses the concept of Learned Helplessness and the impact ...
- "Language, gender and leadership": an Inaugural Lecture by Prof Judith Baxter
Inaugural lecture by Prof Judith Baxter, Professor of Applied Linguistics in the School of Languages and Social Sciences at Aston University, Birmingham, on 11 ...
- Real Life Sales Stories with Non Convincing Language - The Thought Leadership Series
In the first and second segments Steve and Dave highlight sales stories from Dave's archives of client experiences that are both educational and entertaining, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Leadership!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Leadership
Scrabble value of L1E1A1D2E1R1S1H4I1P3
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LEADERSHIP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Leadership!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Leadership to see it in context!