Left appears in the following tongue twister:
- Little Mike left his bike like Tike at Spike's.
Left appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Six big juicy steaks sizzled in a pan as five workmen left the quarry. (56 letters)
Left appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Sat in a taxi, left Felix at Anita's.
- Was it felt? I had a hit left, I saw.
- A petal left now is a dud, as I won’t fellate Pa.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun left and its most common antonym:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective left and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun left
- Definition of the adjective left
- Definition of the adverb left
- Definition of the verb left
- Phrases with Left
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Left
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Left
- Photos about Left
- Video language resources about Left
- Sign language
- Quotes about Left
- Scrabble value of L1E1F4T1
- Anagrams of LEFT
- Share this page
The word left is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun left
What does left mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- left: lefts
- Left: Lefts
- location near or direction toward the left side; i.e. the side to the north when a person or object faces east
- example: she stood on the left
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- antonym: right
- more generic words: place / position = the particular portion of space occupied by something
- more specific terms: left stage / stage left = the part of the stage on the actor's left as the actor faces the audience
- those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare
- the hand that is on the left side of the body
- the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left
- example: the batter flied out to left
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of left: left field / leftfield
- more generic terms: parcel / parcel of land / piece of ground / piece of land / tract = an extended area of land
- part of: outfield = the area of a baseball playing field beyond the lines connecting the bases
- a turn toward the side of the body that is on the north when the person is facing east
Alternative definition of the noun left
- The left side.
- [politics] The ensemble of left-wing political parties. Those holding left-wing views as a group.
- [boxing] A punch delivered with the left fist.
Definition of the adjective left
What does left mean as an attribute of a noun?
Left is one of the top 50 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: lefter | leftest
- being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the west when facing north
- examples: my left hand | left center field | the left bank of a river is bank on your left side when you are facing downstream
- antonym: right
- similar: left-hand; leftmost; near / nigh; larboard / port
- attribute: position / place = the particular portion of space occupied by something
- see also: left-handed
- not used up
- intended for the left hand
- of or belonging to the political or intellectual left
Definition of the adverb left
What does left mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- toward or on the left; also used figuratively
- examples: he looked right and left | the political party has moved left
- antonym: right
Alternative definition of the adverb left
- On the left side.
- Towards the left side.
Definition of the verb left
What does left mean as a doing word?
- "Left" a.k.a. "Links" is a 2008 drama film written and directed by Froukje Tan.
- read more about Links
- "Left" is a short film, written and directed by Eamonn O'Neill, based on a story by Eamonn O'Neill.
- "Left" is the second and final album by the band Hope of the States, released on June 19, 2006. It was released on CD, DualDisc CD/DVD, and as a limited edition double 10" vinyl. The album was preceded by two singles, the limited edition "Blood Meridian EP" and "Sing It Out", which reached #39 in the singles charts. The album itself reached #50 on the UK album charts on its initial release.
- "Left" is LA Symphony member Sharlok Poems' first album, released under Robot Records. Production by LA Symphony.
- "Left" a.k.a. "...Left" is the fifth LP from the neo-soul artist Eric Roberson, released in 2007 on Dome Records/Blue erro soul includes the song "I Been in Love". The track "Couldn't Hear Her" features a sample from the Pat Metheny Group's song "San Lorenzo.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Left" is a musical single of Hope of the States.
- "Left" is a musical album of Enduser.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Left" is a musical album of 18th Dye.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Left" is a musical EP of Minusbaby.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Left" is a musical album of Mlle Caro & Frank García.
- released in (6 years ago)
- Left is a musical group.
- LeFT is a musical group.
- album: "My Disease"
There are other groups with in their name, like Left Out, Lean Left, Left Side, Look Left, A Day Left, Left Alone, Left Behind, Left Outlet, All Left Out, No Left Turn, The New Left, Left for Dead, Left in Ruins, Left or Right, One Shot Left, The Left Outs, Two Days Left, Blind Ear Left, Left of Manila.
Left: The Electoral Leftist Alliance or Left is a movement of Marxist-Leninist, Maoist and Trotskyist organisations in Austria which was founded by the Communist Initiative, the Socialist Left Party, the League of the Socialist Revolution and other left-wing movements and activists in the run-up to the 2008 election. The Communist Party of Austria was also invited to participate, but it stated that the timeframe was too short and that it would stand on its own instead, while supporting the unification of the left in principle.
- official website: linkewaehlen.at
Phrases with Left
Phrases starting with the word Left:
- Left Out
- Left Back
- left bank
- left hand
- left over
- left wing
- Left Alone
- Left Brace
- left brain
- Left Coset
- left field
- Left Ideal
Phrases ending with the word Left:
View more phrases with the word Left in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Left
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Photos & Diagrams for Over 2,600 Chords! by Hal Leonard Corp.
By theway, youmay have noticedthat theselasttwo chords, Gmaj9 andGmaj13, contain fiveand sixnotes, respectively; however, weonly have fourfingers in the left hand! Sincethe useofabarre chord or openstring chord is not always possible ...
r_ left carotid artery; 5;, left Sullclavian artery; ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
and one point three-quarters west variation being allowed to the left makes the true course S. J W., and the distance is fifteen miles. The second ...
had more room ; the right wing keeping always close “Two- to the mountain, and the left to the sea-shore. On the right there was a battalion of heavy-armed troops, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Left
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Left
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Karen_O'D
A Volkswagen T1 Camper Van (1962) from Lego (model nr: 10220)
Photo credit: kismihok
Photo credit: fotologic
Photo credit: Banalities
T3 is dancing to the left...
Photo credit: Paula Satijn
So it goes.
Photo credit: mliu92
Photo credit: pasa47
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: Réno
Photo credit: XoMEoX
Photo credit: downing.amanda
Believe it or not, this sign was no mistake. But it's sure funnier to think that it is.
Photo credit: srslyguys
- To your Left
Photo credit: Marco Nürnberger
- Left process
Photo credit: Mario Felipe_
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Left
Click on an item to play that video:
- 1985-0315 Explanation of Kundalini & Subtle System, Left & Right Channels and Problems due to their
Very Good for Introduction of Sahaja Yoga. Shri Mataj explaining about Kundalini, it's movement, Right and Left Channel, Problems coming from collective ...
- Left Meaning
Video shows what left means. The opposite of right; toward the west when one is facing north.. pertaining to the political left; liberal.. left synonyms: 9 o'clock, ...
- Christian Left Meaning
Video shows what Christian Left means. The body of religious and political movements and organizations with strong Christian faith, that share left-wing or ...
- Meaning Of Left Panel
- Hang a left Meaning
Video shows what hang a left means. To turn left, to take a left turn.. Hang a left Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say hang a left.
- American Morning - Belgium attacker left no explanation
The man who injured more than 100 in a grenade and gun attack in Belgium left behind no explanation about why he did it.
- Martial problem prayer if your husband left without any explanation
- Definition of a left lane hog
- Modified Trapezius Grip (left) - With explanation
JIBC School of Health Sciences (SOHS) provides Paramedic Training in Spinal Management.
- Pedro Del Mar & Blue Tente - You Left (Ferry Tayle "Universal Language" Remix)
Ripped from Ferry Tayle - Flightbook Stockholm Edition.
- Florrie - Left Too Late (Body Language Remix)
Florrie - Left Too Late (Body Language Remix)...
- Pedro Del Mar & Blue Tente - You Left (Ferry Tayle Universal Language Remix)
- Left B3NG | B3NG Account Clip Clearout | Description
- Sikhs, Punjabi Language and Punjab's Left Sections' perceived notion
It is generally propagated that Sikhs, through their political party named Akali Dal, amalgamated political demands of Punjab with Sikh religion such as during ...
- Language - left open
- Remaking America " Language 0f Left " !
Remaking America Fox News Channel Report Hannity Interview Cornel West Language 0f Left.
View more videos about Far left, The Left, Draw Left, Left Hand, Left wing, Left Coset, Loony Left, Stage Left, Camera Left, Left Atrium, Audience Left, Left to Right, Right To Left, and Allemande Left.
See also the pronunciation examples of Left!
Click on an item to play that video:
- British Sign Language Alphabet Left Handed
This is a video showing the BSL alphabet for left handed people. Ideal for beginners, this can help you learn the alphabet or practice what you have learned ...
- British Sign Language Left Hand Ethnic Groups
- British Sign Language Left Hand Activites At School Vocab 1
British Sign Language Left Hand Activites At School Vocab This Is In 2 Parts.
- British Sign Language Alphabet Left Handed
- Things Left Unsaid ASL Sign Language Project
Quotes about Left
You have two hemispheres in your brain - a left and a right side. The left side controls the right side of your body and right controls the left half. It's a fact. Therefore, left-handers are the only people in their right minds. (Bill Lee)
more quotes about left...
Scrabble value of L1E1F4T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LEFT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Left!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Left to see it in context!