On this page:
- Definition of the noun legislation
- Phrases with Legislation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Legislation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Legislation
- Photos about Legislation
- Video language resources about Legislation
- Sign language
- Quotes about Legislation
- Scrabble value of L1E1G2I1S1L1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Legislation is a member of the word family legislate, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun legislation
What does legislation mean as a name of something?
Legislation is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: legislations
- law enacted by a legislative body
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of legislation: statute law
- more generic term: civil law = the body of laws established by a state or nation for its own regulation
- more specific terms:
- enabling legislation = legislation that gives appropriate officials the authority to implement or enforce the law
- occupational safety and health act / federal job safety law = a law passed by the United States Congress that created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to prevent employees from being injured or contracting diseases in the course of their employment
- part of: statute book = a record of the whole body of legislation in a given jurisdiction
- the act of making or enacting laws
- domains: statute law; jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of legislation: lawmaking / legislating
- more generic terms: administration / governance / governing / government / government activity = the act of governing
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun legislation
- The act of legislating; preparation and enactment of laws; the laws enacted.
- Law which has been enacted by legislature or other governing body
Phrases with Legislation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Legislation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bart van Klink, Britta van Beers, Lonneke Poort
Second, legislation is an instrument in the hands of the political powers, to advance certain policy goals.
by Duncan Watts
Primary legislation refers to the body of law established by the founding treaties of the EC, together with all later amendments and protocols attached to those treaties. Secondary legislation refers to all laws passed by EC/EU institutions.
The Elements of Politics (2012)
by Henry Sidgwick
But good legislation is a result more likely to be attained in a representative assembly in which such class-interests are fairly balanced, as each class is more open to sound reason and impartial consideration of the common good where the ...
by Talal Abu-Ghazaleh Organization
الأيام التي تمدد لتفريغ السفينة أو Lay out Lead Lead to Leading case league Lease leave Legal Legal entity Legality Legalize Legalization Legalized Legislate Legislation ...
by Gilbert Reyes, Jon D. Elhai, Julian D. Ford
LEGISLATION,. AND. POLICY. Although it varies with the nature of the event, the role of the government in addressing traumatic stress is significant. Disasters, war , and crime are all potentially pathogenic areas where the government has an ...
by Catharine E. Bell
Acquisition, Animal Addax Adelaide Zoological Gardens and Monarto Zoological Park Africa: International Legislation, Treaties, and Agreements Africa: National Legislation and Licensing Allwetterzoo Munster (All-Weather Z00 Munster) ...
by Scot Schraufnagel
Any legislation that members want voted on quickly can be said to be on a fast track. However, the term most commonly is used in reference to fast track negotiating authority for the ...
by Doreen Yarwood
There were two specific purposes for such legislation; ...
by Cheryl Law
Women and Factory Legislation (with Mrs Aldridge); Women in Industry: A Study of American History (191 1); pamphlet, Women and the Right to Work in Mines ( 1929); Women's Present Economic Struggle The Inevitable Outcome of the Whole ...
Encyclopedia of Tourism (2000)
by Jafar Jafari
The term 'legislation' represents a method of deliberately creating new' law by state institutions entrusted with the power to do so. Among the reasons for the growing importance of' legislation during the past two centuries are the need f'or ...
The Financial Encyclopaedia (1911)
A Comprehensive Exposition of All Departments of Finance, Its Leaders, Institutions, Histories, Events and Subjects by Christopher Ambrose Shea
The debt limitation of States, cities, counties, towns and villages follows : Alabama: State, special legislation; cities, 7%; counties, 2,\%. Arkansas: State and cities, special legislation. California: State, special; cities, 15%. Colorado: State ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Legislation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Legislation
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Legislation grounds, Edmonton, Alberta
Photo credit: minniemouseaunt
- Lt. Governor Testifies on P3 Legislation
Lt. Governor Testifies on P3 Legislation. by Jay Baker at Annapolis, Maryland
Photo credit: MDGovpics
- LG Health Exchange Legislation Testimony
LG Health Exchange Legislation Testimony. by Jay Baker at Annapolis, Md.
Photo credit: MDGovpics
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Legislation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Legislation Meaning
Video shows what legislation means. The act of legislating; preparation and enactment of laws; the laws enacted.. Law which has been enacted by legislature or ...
- Standards Referenced and Meaning of Words in Legislation
Why the meaning of words referenced in legislation matter when it comes to assessing competency.
- Explanation of Rainy Day Fund Legislation
- Legislation gets new meaning after boy's day care death
Legislation gets new meaning after boy's day care death.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = delegated legislation
- Debate - Inserting Definition of Flood Terminology into Legislation
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = anti dumping legislation
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = anti trust legislation
- Explanation of the federal legislation, concerning protection of the rights of businessmen
- Seeing through the eyes of the writer : Legislation, Bible, Dictionary, Silmarillion, Advertisation
As in the film "Idiocracy", the future humans have become stupid, the wisdom of an average man is sent from the past. Some of the simplest concepts such as ...
- Legislation Will Supersede Current Language to Help Victims
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Legislation
- Nestande Supports Legislation Making English the National Language 9 13 14
See also the pronunciation examples of Legislation!
EDF | Non Discrimination legislation | Sign language
Translation: Over the past 10 years, protecting the rights of disabled people all over Europe has been EDFs number one priority and objective. In 2007, EDF ...
Quotes about Legislation
I mean there's enormous pressures to harmonize freedom of speech legislation and transparency legislation around the world - within the E.U., between China and the United States. Which way is it going to go? It's hard to see. (Julian Assange)
more quotes about legislation...
Scrabble value of L1E1G2I1S1L1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Legislation to see it in context!