Leopard appears in the following tongue twister:
- Lenny Lou leopard led leprechauns leaping like lemmings.
(by Brian & Grace McKeon)
On this page:
- Definition of the noun leopard
- Phrases with Leopard
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Leopard
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Leopard
- Photos about Leopard
- Video language resources about Leopard
- Quotes about Leopard
- Scrabble value of L1E1O1P3A1R1D2
- Anagrams of LEOPARD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun leopard
What does leopard mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: leopards
- the pelt of a leopard
- large feline of African and Asian forests usually having a tawny coat with black spots
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Felis pardus / species Felis pardus / Felis pardus nanopardus / subspecies Felis pardus nanopardus / Panthera pardus
- more generic terms: big cat / cat = any of several large cats typically able to roar and living in the wild
- more specific words:
- member of: genus Panthera / Panthera = lions; leopards; snow leopards; jaguars; tigers; cheetahs
- young animal: cub
- female animal: leopardess
- male animal: leopard
- collective noun: leap / lepe
- collateral adjective: pardine
- geographic area: Africa, Europe and Asia
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
- "Leopard" a.k.a. "The Leopard" is a 1963 Italian film by director Luchino Visconti, based on Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's novel of the same name.
- also known as Il Gattopardo
- countries: Italy, France
- languages: Italian Language, French, German Language, Latin Language
- producer: Goffredo Lombardo
- executive producer: Pietro Notarianni
- production design by Mario Garbuglia
- written by Luchino Visconti, Enrico Medioli, Suso Cecchi d'Amico, Pasquale Festa Campanile, Massimo Franciosa
- based on "The Leopard" by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
- Burt Lancaster as Prince Don Fabrizio Salina
- Claudia Cardinale as Angelica Sedara
- Alain Delon as Tancredi Falconeri
- Paolo Stoppa as Don Calogero Sedara
- Rina Morelli as Princess Maria Stella Salina
- Romolo Valli as Father Pirrone
- Terence Hill as Count Cavriaghi
- Pierre Clémenti as Francesco Paolo
- Lucilla Morlacchi as Concetta
- Ida Galli as Carolina
- Ottavia Piccolo as Caterina
- Carlo Valenzano as Paolo
- Serge Reggiani as Don Francisco Ciccio Tumeo
- Giuliano Gemma as Garibaldi's General
- Brook Fuller as Little Prince
- Claudia Cardinale as Bertiana
- Lola Braccini as Donna Margherita
- Marino Masé as Tutor
- Howard Nelson Rubien as Don Diego
- Tina Lattanzi
- Marcella Rovena
- Rina De Liguoro as Princess of Presicce
- Valerio Ruggeri
- Giovanni Melisenda as Don Onofrio Rotolo
- Giancarlo Lolli
- Franco Gulà
- Vittorio Duse
- Vanni Materassi
- Giuseppe Stagnitti
- Carmelo Artale
- Olimpia Cavalli as Mariannina
- Anna Maria Surdo
- Halina Zalewska
- Winni Riva
- Stelvio Rosi
- Carlo Palmucci
- Dante Posani
- Rosolino Bua
- Ivo Garrani as Colonel Pallavicino
- Leslie French as Cavalier Chevally
- Marie Bell
- Lou Castel as Party guest
- Sandra Christolini as Youngest Daughter
- Maurizio Merli
- Augusto Pescarini
- Paola Piscini
- Amalia Troiani
- Anna Maria Bottini as Mademoiselle Dombreuil
- cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno
- edited by Mario Serandrei
- music by Nino Rota
- costume design by Piero Tosi
- set decoration by Giorgio Pes & Laudomia Hercolani
- genres: Historical fiction, Drama, Romance Film
- released on (52 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Strega Prize, received by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
- "Leopard" is a film, written and directed by Nozomi Sakimura.
- also known as Hyou
- country: Japan
- genre: Animation
- released on
"Leopard" a.k.a. "The Leopard" is a novel by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa that chronicles the changes in Sicilian life and society during the Risorgimento. Published posthumously in 1958 by Feltrinelli, after two rejections by the leading Italian publishing houses Mondadori and Einaudi, it became the top-selling novel in Italian history and is considered one of the most important novels in modern Italian literature. In 2012, The Observer named it as one of "The 10 best historical novels".
- read more about The Leopard
- Leopard is a fictional character from the animated television series The Girl Who Leapt Through Space.
- also known as Reoparudo
- Leopard is a fictional character from the 1986 film Ting bat do dik suet wa.
- Leopard a.k.a. Leopard 6 Litre Roadster: Leopard 6 Liter's Roadster is a classical sport-style luxury car designed by entrepreneur Zbysław Szwaj. The car is produced by a privately held Polish company Leopard Automobile Mielec Sp. z o.o.. Zbysław Szwaj is the company co-founder, designer, and also the designer of the Gepard car.
- read more about Leopard 6 Litre Roadster
- Leopard is a publisher.
- Leopard is a make of automobile produced by Leopard Automobile Mielec Sp. z o.o.
- some model: Leopard 6 Litre Roadster
- The leopard in heraldry is traditionally depicted the same as a lion, but in a walking position with its head turned to full face, thus it is also known as a lion passant guardant in some texts, though leopards more naturally depicted make some appearances in modern heraldry. The Oxford Guide to Heraldry makes little mention of leopards but glosses leopard as a "term used in medieval heraldry for lion passant guardant. Now used for the natural beast.
- Leopard: A leopard pattern is a spotted color pattern, particularly in the hair coat or skin of animals, but also used to describe spotting patterns in plants and fabrics. The term is refers to the black and gold spotted coat of the Leopard cat, but is used to describe many color combinations that result in spots scattered randomly across the skin or hair coat of other animals.
- Leopard a.k.a. Jumabieke Tuerxun is a Chinese-Kazakhstani mixed martial arts fighter.
- born on (29 years ago) in Xinjiang
- Leopard is the name of a British double stage experimental rocket, which was launched between 1959 and 1962 eleven times from Aberporth. The Leopard has a flight altitude of 20 kilometres, a launch mass of 1.5 tons and a length of 6 metres.
Phrases with Leopard
Phrases starting with the word Leopard:
- leopard cat
- Leopard Dace
- leopard frog
- Leopard Goby
- Leopard Hind
- leopard lily
- Leopard Moth
- Leopard Seal
- Leopard gecko
- Leopard Loach
- Leopard Moray
- Leopard Moths
- leopard plant
- Leopard Seals
- Leopard Shark
- Leopard Skate
- Leopard Darter
Phrases ending with the word Leopard:
View more phrases with the word Leopard in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Leopard
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Life Cycle of a Leopard (2014)
A Sequence and Order Text by Phillip Simpson
The leopard is a member of a group of animals known as “big cats.” The true big cats include the leopard, lion, tiger, and jaguar. The leopard can be found in some parts of Africa and Asia. It is listed as a near threatened species because of ...
Northern Tanzania (2009)
With Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar by Philip Briggs
The powerful leopard is the most solitary and secretive of Africa's large cat species. It hunts using stealth and power, often getting to within 5m ot its intended prey before pouncing, and it habitually stores its kill in a tree to keep it from hyenas ...
Fashioning Identity (2017)
Status Ambivalence in Contemporary Fashion by Maria Mackinney-Valentin
Using the case as an example, leopard is an identifiable trend system but at the same time an open and dynamic structure that, as described of the rhizome, is characterized by gradual mutations and intersections: “The rhizome operates by ...
by Michael Buckley
Unique in its camouflage – a greyish spotted coat, blending in with its terrain – the snow leopard is a nocturnal hunter, mostly active at dusk and dawn, and particularly fond of stalking blue sheep, ibex and marmots. By day it sleeps in caves or ...
How to Track a Leopard (2013)
by Dory Zane
The stealthy, agile leopard is a master of camouflage.
by David W. Boles
Built into Mac OS X Leopard is a program you will learn about in this book called Boot Camp. Boot Camp is your key back into Windows from your Mac. Boot Camp will help you partition and then prepare your disk to install Windows. You can ...
Vol. III. G-N by Robert Kemp Philp
The leopard is an inhabitant of the woods of Africa and South America. The usual length of...
The Leopard is a carnivorous, digiti- Sraie mammal, belonging to the family Felidcc, *Bd designated the Felidce Leopardus; by naturalists generally.
Kintuadi in 3D by Dom Pedro V
The Leopard is the animal Totem of the Kongo Kingdom. The Mbundu are a large ethnic group that formed the Ndongo Kingdom, southwest of the Kongo Kingdom. Oral tradition collected in the late sixteenth century, particularly by the Jesuit ...
Tales of the World's Wildest Beasts by Rudyard Kipling, Pedro Rodríguez
NEW SPECImENS: SUPERbLY-SPOTTED LEOPARD (Fig. A) THE ETHIOPIAN ( Fig. b) STRIPED ZEbRA (Fig. C) bANDED KUDU (Fig. D) SPOTTED GIRAFFE ( Fig. E) b A CONCLUSION 3 RUDYARD KIPLING The leopard is the smallest of ...
by William Stewart
The leopard is noted for its swiftness, ferocity, bloodthirstiness and craftiness. It is an agile climber and will often stalk...
A medical dictionary written by a doctor for doctors by Joseph C Segen
leopard. skin. Onchocercal dermatitis A descriptive term for focal macular hyperpigmentation of the skin in a hypopigmented background, accompanied by scaling, which is seen in infection by Onchocerca volvulus. See River blindness ...
by Augustin Calmet
LEOPARD, pardus, a fierce and cruel animal, its skin is spotted with a diversity of colours; it has small white eyes, wide jaws, sharp teeth, round ears, a large tail; five claws on its fore feet, four on those behind. It is said to be extremely averse to ...
Antarctica and the Arctic Circle: A Geographic Encyclopedia of the Earth's Polar Regions [2 volumes] (2014)
by Andrew Jon Hund
The leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx) is one of four phocid pinnipeds that lives exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere with breeding populations confined to the circumpolar pack ice of Antarctica. The genus name is from the Greek hudor ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
The rare and secretive clouded leopard, Neofelis nebulosa, lives in the tropical forests of southern and Southeast Asia. Its richly patterened coat mimics the sun- dappled surroundings. The sand cat's large ears can be turned into a. ( \|S ( >R[) IK ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Leopard
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Leopard
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: TakenByTina
Photo credit: Sam's Shots 1
Leopard from Olomuniec in Czech Republic
Photo credit: Soren Wolf
Photo credit: LEGADEMA pictures
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: LEGADEMA pictures
Photo credit: Phalinn Ooi
Photo credit: foilman
Photo credit: kishjogia
Photo credit: chst70_foto
Photo credit: earthisthering
Photo credit: Laurent de Walick
A leopard sleeping in the branch of a tree, seen in Nagarhole park at dusk.
Photo credit: ChaTo (Carlos Castillo)
Photo credit: Laurent de Walick
Photo credit: antony_mayfield
Photo credit: flamesworddragon
Photo credit: Phalinn Ooi
Photo credit: gregw66
- Leopard, Kruger
Photo credit: Wild Frog Photography
- Leopard Profile
Photo credit: flamesworddragon
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Leopard
Click on an item to play that video:
- Leopard Meaning
Video shows what leopard means. Panthera pardus, a large wild cat with a spotted coat, indigenous to Africa and Asia.. Either of two similar large cats native to ...
- Michelle 3 Explanation of Leopard Face Spot Patterns
- Mac OS 10.5 Leopard "Dictionary" Application Tips/Tricks
From Mac1on1.net, this Mac tip helps you better utilize the free Dictionary application that comes with your Mac operating system.
- MacMost Now 21: The Incredible Leopard Dictionary App
Gary Rosenzweig looks at all the cool news features in Dictionary with Leopard. You can look up definitions, thesaurus entries, a special Apple dictionary, ...
- New Features of Mac OS X Leopard : Using the Dictionary & Wikipedia in Mac OS X Leopard
How to use the dictionary and Wikipedia features of Mac OS X Leopard;...
- Leopard Quick Dictionary
- Mac OS X Leopard Overview : Mac OS X Leopard Dictionary
Leopard comes equipped with a dictionary. Learn how to use the dictionary in Leopard from an Apple computer specialist in this free computer software video.
- Leopard nail art desing (indonesia language)
- How to make XP look like MAC leopard - Description has been updated
- A tip to use dictionary on Leopard
See also the pronunciation examples of Leopard!
Quotes about Leopard
Scrabble value of L1E1O1P3A1R1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LEOPARD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Leopard!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Leopard to see it in context!