Let appears in the following tongue twisters:
- A flea and a fly in a flue,
were imprisoned. So what could they do?
Said the fly, "Let us flee".
Said the flea, "Let us fly".
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
- A fly and flea flew into a flue,
said the fly to the flea 'what shall we do?'
'let us fly' said the flea
said the fly 'shall we flee'
so they flew through a flaw in the flue.
- V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
[carves V into poster on wall]
V: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
V: Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
(from the screenplay of the movie "V for Vendetta", at the beginning, when V meets Evie for the first time)
Let appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- We'll let Dad tell Lew.
- We'll let Mom tell Lew.
- Let O’Hara mar a hotel.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun let
- Definition of the verb let
- Phrases with Let
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Let
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Let
- Usage statistics about let
- Photos about Let
- Videos about Let
- Sign language
- Quotes about Let
- Scrabble value of L1E1T1
- Anagrams of LET
- Share this page
The word let is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun let
What does let mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lets
- a brutal terrorist group active in Kashmir; fights against India with the goal of restoring Islamic rule of India
- region: Islamic Republic of Pakistan / Pakistan / West Pakistan
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of LET: Army of the Pure / Army of the Righteous / Lashkar-e-Taiba / Lashkar-e-Tayyiba / Lashkar-e-Toiba
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
- a serve that strikes the net before falling into the receiver's court; the ball must be served again
Alternative definition of the noun let
- A hindrance.
- [context: tennis] The hindrance caused by the net during serve, only if the ball falls legally.
Specialised definition of the noun let
Glossary of sports
in games such as tennis and squash, a service in which the ball is obstructed and the shot has to be played again (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a serve that hits the net cord before landing in and is there-fore replayed (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / badminton
an official stoppage in play after which a rally is replayed
Glossary of sports / squash
a replayed point, at the referee's discretion, following unintentional obstruction (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / table tennis
a point that is replayed at the umpire's discretion (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
a rally whose result doesn't count, usually because the umpire called a halt in play because of some distraction or interruption.
Glossary of sports / tennis
a point replayed at the umpire's discretion (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
a stroke that doesn't count and must be replayed. This most commonly happens when a serve touches the net before entering the proper service court. It's also a let if the serve is delivered before the receiver is ready, if play is interrupted by some unusual occurrence (such as an animal running onto the court), or if a linesman's decision that resulted in stoppage of play is reversed by the umpire
Definition of the verb let
What does let mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
- make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen
- actively cause something to happen
- consent to, give permission
- example: I won't let the police search her basement
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of let: allow / countenance / permit
- more generic terms: accept / consent / go for = give an affirmative reply to
- more specific terms:
- stick out / tolerate / stomach / support / digest / endure / put up / suffer / abide / brook / stand / bear = put up with something or somebody unpleasant
- furlough = grant a leave to
- give = allow to have or take
- tolerate / permit / allow = allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting
- authorise / authorize / clear / pass = grant authorization or clearance for
- include / let in / admit = allow participation in or the right to be part of
- privilege / favour / favor = bestow a privilege upon
- decriminalise / decriminalize / legitimatise / legitimatize / legitimate / legitimise / legitimize / legalise / legalize = make legal
- trust = allow without fear
- allow in / intromit / let in / admit = allow to enter
- cause to move; cause to be in a certain position or condition
- leave unchanged
- grant use or occupation of under a term of contract
"Let" a.k.a. "Flight" is a 2012 American drama film directed by Robert Zemeckis. The film stars Denzel Washington as Whip Whitaker, an airline pilot who miraculously crash lands his plane after it suffers an in-flight mechanical failure, saving nearly everyone on board. Immediately following the crash, he's hailed a hero, but an investigation soon leads to questions that puts the captain in a different light.
- read more about Flight
Let: Lets' is a fictional character of the Studio Deen anime series and manga, Rave Master. Let's personality is amusing, and his strong sense of honor. Though originally an enemy, Let joins Haru's group and not only provides his skills as a strong fighter, but his knowledge of the world outside of Symphonia is quite extensive. He is seen to be very knowledgeable about a lot of things and very observant. Coming from the Dragonrace, he has enhanced eyesight and can breath fire. He is also very quiet, speaking only when there's a need to. His girlfriend Julia is also part of Haru's party; together, they lend their hands in helping Haru bring peace to the world. Elie, on the other hand, keeps calling him something else like lizard or crocodile, which is infuriating for Let because he always has to tell her he is a dragon, but she still does not get it.
- created by Hiro Mashima
"Let" is a composition.
- music by Ben Long
Let a.k.a. Alfredo Vásquez Cobo International Airport is an airport serving Leticia, the capital of the Amazonas department of Colombia.
- also known as Vasquez Cobo International Airport, Vásquez Cobo Airport
- part of Colombia
- Let a.k.a. Lesing-Gelimi Language: Lesing-Gelimi, or Lesing-Atui, is an Austronesian language of West New Britain, Papua New Guinea.
- also known as Atui, Lesing-atui
- LET is a website.
- also known as LET Airport Code, Airport Code LET, Leticia General Alfredo Vasquez Cobo International Airport
- Let is a file format.
Phrases with Let
Phrases starting with the word Let:
- Let Be
- let go
- let in
- let on
- let up
- let fly
- let off
- let out
- Let Rip
- let down
- let know
- let slip
- Let's Go
- let alone
- let drive
Phrases ending with the word Let:
View more phrases with the word Let in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Let
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by the study of which youth and adults may become accomplished grammarians in three or four months, without the aid of a teacher by Sidney S. Caldwell
Let is an irregular active transitive verb, imperative mood, first or second person, singular or plural number, agreeing with its nominative /, we, thou , ...
by Sören Mattsson, Christoph Hoeschen
LET is the radiation energy lost per unit length of path through a material.
by Mary Alice Statkiewicz Sherer, Paula J. Visconti, E. Russell Ritenour
LET is an important factor for: A. Assessing potential tissue and organ damage from exposure to ionizing radiation B. Assessing the characteristics of ionizing radiation (e.g., charge, mass, and energy) C. Determining the OER D. Removing ...
by Benjamin Bloomfield
ing ed ed An Babe you Let is A bless bless noth dis was gel came; born, may, rest Beth mer hem Heav'n our le you 1. God. mf. 2. In 3. From God men, ry, ther, tle ry, in ly gen Jew Fa on ...
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1846)
by Alexander Whitelaw
Let ABCD, fig. 59, be a parallelogram, of which the diagonal is BD; then will its opposite sides and angles be equal to each other, and the diagonal BD will divide it into two equal parts, or triangles. If one angle of a parallelogram be a right ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Let
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about let
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb LET:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb LET:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb LET and its most common antonym:
Photos about Let
Click on an item to view that photo:
Shot on a 1979 Canon AE1
Photo credit: bnthor
- Let sleeping dogs...
Photo credit: Steven-L-Johnson
- Let the sun shine in.
Photo credit: graftedno1
- Let's take a picture
Photo credit: Vince_Ander
- Let's Talk Daggers
Photo credit: p_a_h
- Let There Be More Light
Photo credit: August Brill
- "Let's get creative!"
on Instagram instagr.am/p/HEMm37BtVy/
Photo credit: marksdk
- Let the Sunshine In
Dry Fork Canyon.
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah.
Photo credit: Steve Corey
- Let's fly
Photo credit: pavlinajane
- Let's Meat
Photo credit: .angels.
- Let's decide later...
Photo credit: bartosz.mogiełka
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Let
Click on an item to play that video:
- English Vocabulary - Let's have a Class!
- Alan Siegel: Let's simplify legal jargon!
- Regency Era Slang - Let's Bring it Back!
La, dudes. Using slang from the Regency era is the epitome of good form. Here's how to use it.
- Gameplay eXplanation for Sorcerer King: Let's Play Sorcerer King 1.0 - Ep. 0
Join Devildog as he reboots the Gameplay eXplanation of Sorcerer King, imparting some knowledge and game-setup and first-turn hints for this awesome ...
- Gameplay eXplanation - Let's Learn to Play Star Ruler 2
Devildog eXplains the basics of this new 4X game from Blind Mind Studios the best that he can. If you're interested in having other systems explained to you, ...
- Let's define forests by their true meaning
Following FAO's criterion for the limits of tree cover for "forest" (canopy cover between 10-30%), the Kyoto Protocol defines a forest as "a minimum area of land of ...
- What is etiquette, etiquette definition manners and politeness let's define etiquette
What is Etiquette?
- Manafest - Let You Drive Song Explanation
Download on iTunes...
- Let's Learn LGBTQ Terminology!
Language and vocabulary around LGBTQ identities can be confusing. American University students are here to tell you some basics to help you better ...
- The Wombats - Let's Dance To Joy Division - at New Slang, 2015
The Wombats - Let's Dance To Joy Division - at New Slang, 2015.
- 'Katusanyuke' meaning Let's 'Be Happy'
Christ the King Choir of St. Michael Cathedral in live performance during Mass that was celebrated by Fr. Joseph Ruzindana of Uganda. Afterwards, the Choir ...
- Lecture by Kristian Simsarian: Meaning First: Let's Humanize Technology
This lecture was recorded April 4, 2014, in Timken Lecture Hall on the San Francisco campus of California College of the Arts as part of an Interaction Design ...
- New Definition of Autism: Parents, Let's Talk
Many fear that the new definitions of what is and what is not autism will prevent and exclude many children with high functioning autism from receiving services ...
- Phrasal verb: let (someone) in on (something) - Day 1 with JenniferESL
Need captions? Click on CC. Day 1: let (someone) in on (something) Index: 0:12 Introduction. Listen to the phrasal verb in context. 0:48 Identify the meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Let!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Let There Be Peace On Earth in Sign Language
This video was created to assist members of Singing Hands, a non profit, volunteer group of signers who perform for businesses, nursing homes, religious ...
- Proposed Law Would Let Sign Language Count as Foreign Language in High School
The Senate Education Committee unanimously approved a measure that would let high school students take classes in sign language to fulfill the foreign ...
- Disney's Frozen "Let it Go" with sign language
Disney's Frozen "Let it Go" with sign language Performed by Kindergarten class at Stellar Academy.
- Let It Go from the film "Frozen" Sign singing British Sign Language (BSL)
This song is one of the most popular and famous songs from the Disney film "Frozen". It is sung by Idina Menzel. The sign singer is Christine DeBlase and is ...
- "Let Them See You" sign language
First Assembly of God Red Hill Sign language to "Let Them See You"
Quotes about Let
Let your will be done and let me respect your muse,
Let your will be done and let me find my joy,
Let your will be done and let me gain wisdom;
But in ten years later i will pay my dues!
And like the monkeys trained to pluck coconuts in Asia. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about let...
Scrabble value of L1E1T1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LET
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Let!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Let to see it in context!