Lie appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- La, Mr. O'Neill, lie normal.
- Dip a veil in a fan: I lie vapid.
- Lie, voodoo vanities; abase it in a voodoo veil!
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb lie:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun lie
- Definition of the verb lie
- Other definitions of lie
- Phrases with Lie
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lie
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lie
- Photos about Lie
- Videos about Lie
- Sign language
- Quotes about Lie
- Scrabble value of L1I1E1
- Anagrams of LIE
- Share this page
Lie is sometimes a misspelling of live.
The word lie is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lie
What does lie mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: lies
- a statement that deviates from or perverts the truth
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of lie: prevarication
- more generic words: falsehood / falsity / untruth = a false statement
- more specific terms:
- Norwegian diplomat who was the first Secretary General of the United Nations (1896-1968)
- position or manner in which something is situated
Alternative definition of the noun lie
- [golf] The terrain and conditions surrounding the ball before it is struck.
- [medicine] The position of a fetus in the womb.
- A deliberately false statement; an intentional falsehood.
- A statement intended to deceive, even if literally true; a half-truth
Specialised definition of the noun lie
Glossary of sports / golf
the position from which the ball has to be played (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
the position of the ball after it comes to rest anywhere between the tee and the putting surface. A lie is described as good if the ball can be struck cleanly
Glossary of sports / hockey / ice hockey
angle made by the shaft of the stick and the blade
Definition of the verb lie
What does lie mean as a doing word?
Lie is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
|not tell truth||lied||lied||lying||lies|
- be located or situated somewhere; occupy a certain position
- examples: The children lie in the rocking chair | There lie some children in the rocking chair
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Theme, indefinite] There stood on the corner a statue [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] They stood the statue on the pedestal [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] John slouched [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The statue stood on the corner [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] On the pedestal stood a statue
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): balance, bend, bow, crouch, dangle, droop, flop, fly, hang, hover, huddle, hunch, jut, kneel, lean, loll, loom, lounge, nestle, open, perch, plop, project, protrude, recline, repose, rest, rise, roost, sag, sit, slope, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stoop, straddle, swing, tilt, tower.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic word: be = occupy a certain position or area
- more specific terms:
- nestle = lie in a sheltered position
- intervene = be placed or located between other things or extend between spaces and events
- top = be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point
- mediate = occupy an intermediate or middle position or form a connecting link or stage between two others
- ride = lie moored or anchored
- lap = lie partly over or alongside of something or of one another
- focalise / focalize / localise / localize = concentrate on a particular place or spot
- slant = lie obliquely
- precede / predate = come before
- underlie = lie underneath
- crest / cap = lie at the top of
- front / face / look = be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point
- back = be in back of
- flank = be located at the sides of something or somebody
- head = be in the front of or on top of
- dominate / overlook / command / overtop = look down on
- run along / line = be in line with
- orient / point = be oriented
- look out over / look across / look out on / overlook = be oriented in a certain direction
- be lying, be prostrate; be in a horizontal position
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- antonyms: sit; stand
- more specific terms:
- entailment: lie down = assume a reclining position
- originate (in)
- be and remain in a particular state or condition
- tell an untruth; pretend with intent to deceive
- examples: Don't lie to your parents | She lied when she told me she was only 29
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- more generic words: misinform / mislead = give false or misleading information to
- more specific words:
- have a place in relation to something else
- assume a reclining position
- example: lie down on the bed until you feel better
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] The dog flopped [Agent - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] The dog flopped in the corner
Verbs of Assuming a Position (with the same syntax): bend, bow, crouch, flop, hang, hunch, kneel, lean, lie down, perch, plop, rise, sit, sit down, slouch, slump, sprawl, squat, stand, stand up, stoop, straddle.
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of lie: lie down
- more generic term: change posture = undergo a change in bodily posture
- more specific terms:
Other definitions of lie
What does lie also mean?
- The Long Island Expressway, I-495.
Lie a.k.a. Liechtenstein, officially the Principality of Liechtenstein, is a doubly landlocked German-speaking alpine country and a microstate in Central Europe, bordered by Switzerland to the west and south and by Austria to the east and north. Its area is just over 160 square kilometres, and it has an estimated population of 35,000. Its capital is Vaduz. The biggest town is Schaan. Liechtenstein has the highest gross domestic product per person in the world when adjusted by purchasing power parity. Liechtenstein also has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world at 1.5%.
- also known as Fürstentum Liechtenstein, Principality of Liechtenstein
- founded in (209 years ago)
- part of Europe, Western Europe, European Free Trade Association, Eurasia, Eastern Alps
- instance of: European country / European nation = any one of the countries occupying the European continent
- part: capital of Liechtenstein / Vaduz = the capital and largest city of Liechtenstein
- member: Liechtensteiner = a native or inhabitant of Liechtenstein
- read more about Liechtenstein (country)
- "Lie" a.k.a. "Geojitmal" is the debut hit single by South Korean girl group T-ara released on July 27, 2009. All the tracks, excluding "Lies", from the single were later included on the group's debut album, Absolute First Album. The first version was re-titled as "Lies" and the second part "Lies".
- "Lie" is the first single by Black Light Burns from their debut album Cruel Melody. It was released to radio on March 20.
- "Lie" is a composition.
- "Lie" is a musical single of No Sleeves.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Lie" is the 1994 single by Dream Theater.
- released in (21 years ago)
- Lie: The music video of the Lie song by G.o.d.
- Mnet Asian Music Award for Most Popular Music Video nomination for g.o.d
- International Viewer's Choice Award for MTV Korea (MTV Korea) nomination for g.o.d
- Mnet Asian Music Award for Most Popular Music Video, received by g.o.d
- International Viewer's Choice Award for MTV Korea (MTV Korea), received by g.o.d
- "Lie" is a musical album of Lie.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Lie" is a musical single of Fading Colours.
- released in (20 years ago)
"Lie" a.k.a. "L.I.E." is a 2001 American drama film about a relationship between Howie, a 15-year-old boy, and an ephebophile known as "Big John". The title is an acronym for the Long Island Expressway. The film was directed by Michael Cuesta, who has said that the film is about exploring sexuality. It stars Paul Dano as Howie and Brian Cox as Big John.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Rene Bastian, Michael Cuesta, Linda Moran
- written by Stephen M. Ryder, Michael Cuesta, Gerald Cuesta
- casting by Judy Henderson
- cinematography by Romeo Tirone
- music by Pierre Földes
- costume design by Danny Glicker
- genres: Indie film, Teen film, Gay, LGBT, Crime Fiction, Gay Interest, Coming of age, Gay Themed, Drama
- subject: Pedophilia
- released on (14 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama (Role: Big John Harrigan) nomination for Brian Cox
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Debut Performance nomination for Paul Dano
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Director nomination for Michael Cuesta
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead nomination for Brian Cox
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Male nomination for Billy Kay
- Independent Spirit Award for Best First Screenplay nomination for Michael Cuesta, Stephen M. Ryder, Gerald Cuesta
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Feature nomination for Rene Bastian, Linda Moran, Michael Cuesta
- Independent Spirit Producers Award (Motorola Producers Award) nomination for Rene Bastian & Linda Moran
- Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama (Role: Big John Harrigan), received by Brian Cox
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Debut Performance, received by Paul Dano
- Independent Spirit Producers Award (Motorola Producers Award), received by Rene Bastian & Linda Moran
- Lie: A lie is an intentionally false statement to a person or group made by another person or group who knows it is not wholly the truth. Lies can be told for various reasons, and with various amounts of success.
- also known as 谎言
- Lie is a TV program.
Phrases with Lie
Phrases starting with the word Lie:
- Lie by
- lie in
- lie low
- lie off
- Lie Back
- lie down
- lie upon
- lie with
- lie about
- lie awake
- lie doggo
- Lie group
- lie around
Phrases ending with the word Lie:
Other phrases containing the word Lie:
View more phrases with the word Lie in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lie
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The second lie is that of a personal God who dwells in a place peculiar to Himself . The third lie is that of a personal gloritied...
The Independent (1903)
A lie is an intentionally inaccurate statement of facts. The difference between truth and falsehood is in the intention. Truth is the offspring of a good intention, and a lie is the offspring of a bad intention. The bad intention is just as much a reality ...
The Works of the Late Reverend and Pious Mr. Thomas Gouge, Minister of the Gospel, St. Sepulchres, London ... To which is Prefixed, An Account of the Author's Life (1815)
by Thomas Gouge
For the first, 'A lie is a deceitful expression of one's mind against...
The Churchman's Magazine (1804)
A lie is an imprudent thing, for it often disappoints itself. A lie is a destructive thing , for it at once stifles the voice, and relaxes the energy of conscience. Base indeed must be the compound, of which weakness, warthlessnes, and impudence are ...
Repertorium Oratoris Sacri (1878)
Containing Outlines of Six Hundred Sermons for All the Sundays and Holidays of the Ecclesiastical Year, Also for Other Solemn Occasions by Herman John Hueser
A LIE IS A FOUL BLOT IN A MAN.
The Trouble with Music (2005)
by Mathew Callahan
The lie is that this is "just happening" and that it is not being consciously, systematically produced in the exact same fashion that pornography and fast food is. There is no longer any question of this being authentic. This is a calculated effort to ...
by Tom Rawls
com says a lie is a “false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth.” A lie is something intended to convey a false impression. A lie is an inaccurate or false statement. When faced with truth, people will ...
by Shirley H. Fondiller, EdD, RN, FAAN, Barbara J. Nerone, APR
Lie means a “state of reclining” and does not take a direct object (intransitive verb). Past tense is lay, part participle is lain, and the present participle is lying. Lie also means “making an untrue statement.
by Joseph Giorda
tell a lie, intentionally, or not. Chines- ikoiokoi, red.
by Bruce Biggs
lie noho,rare, taaeki, taitakoto, takoto, tanewha, tangita, tete, tiipapa.
Giving the Derivation, Source Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
(Saxon, lic; LIE. Lich-way. The path by which a funeral is conveyed to church, which not unfrequently deviates from the ordinary road. It was long supposed that wherever a dead body passed became a public thoroughfare. Lichten. Belonging ...
Lie. Theol. — Historical theology. Lang, August, D.D. — Church history. Loofs, Friedrich, D.D., LL.D., Ph.D.— Church history. Luetgert, Wilhelm, D.D. — Systematic theology. Schniewind, Julius, Lie. Theol. — New Testament. Voigt ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
tocauseto lie down,to let lie down 2.
Explaining Not Only the Terms of Art in All the Several Parts of Architecture, But Also Containing the Theory and Practice ...
No Joists ought to lie at a greater Distance from each other, than 10 (or at most than 12) Inches. z. All Joists on the Back of a Chimney, ought to be laid with a Trimmer, at 6 Inches Distance from the Back. 3. No Joists ought to bear at a longer ...
A Concise Law Dictionary (1876)
by Herbert Newman Mozley, George Crispe Whiteley
LIE. 1. An action is said to lie, if it is legally maintainable. 2. See also the following Titles. LIE IN FRANCHISE. Waifs, wrecks, es- trays, and the like, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lie
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lie
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Magdalena Roeseler
View more pictures about Lie Down.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Lie
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lie Meaning
Video shows what lie means. To rest in a horizontal position on a surface.. To be placed or situated.. To abide; to remain for a longer or shorter time; to be in a ...
- White lie Meaning
Video shows what white lie means. A deliberate, untrue statement which does no harm or is intended to produce a favorable result.. White lie Meaning. How to ...
- Definition Speech: Lay and Lie: Brandy Buice
Commonly confused words.
- Golf explanation lesson from a downhill lie
- Truth or Lie Game: Vocabulary Version
- Vocabulary - "Lie"
By Anil Sherry "English Fluency Coach"
- Lie through one's teeth Meaning
Video shows what lie through one's teeth means. To tell a gross or egregious untruth.. Lie through one's teeth Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Robin's Definition of a lie 1
- Suzanne Lie ~ Translating Light Language Goddesses Ascending Gaia October 13, 2015
- Suzanne Lie ~ Reading Light Language The Arcturians 5 25 15
- Suzanne Lie ~ More Transmissions from Antares - Communication Via Light Language - July 8, 2014
listering video and reading...
- Mep open/ouvert [lie la description]
- Body Language Doesn't Lie
- Regarde STP ET LIE LA DESCRIPTION
- Excerpts from Language does not lie
- " MATHS " A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE THAT CANT LIE
Gods own language is mathematics NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON , RICHARD DAWKINS - UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE OF MATH ...
- The Difference Between Lie and Lay 1618 ESL British Pronunciation
- Lie Through Your Teeth - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- How to Detect a Lie - body language & facial expressions
What details do you need to pay attention to when spotting a lie.
- Dictionary Correction: Lie like a rug (Wrong) Lie Like a Yousaf Raza Gilani (Correct)
Neither Gilani has any shame for lying through his teeth nor Pakistani awam have any shame for still trusting these clowns.
- Lie Up - Lay Up - Phrasal Verbs - ESL British English Pronunciation
View more videos about Lie by, Lie in, to LIE, lie low, lie off, The Lie, You Lie, Lie Back, Lie Down, lie upon, lie doggo, Lie group, lie around, Lie Before, Live a Lie, Give Lie to, Lie algebra, Lie Detector, Barefaced Lie, Lie detection, A Lie Has No Legs, and Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.
See also the pronunciation examples of Lie!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Lie
Scrabble value of L1I1E1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LIE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Lie!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lie to see it in context!