Like appears in many tongue twisters:
- No nose knows like a gnome's nose knows.
- Little Mike left his bike like Tike at Spike's.
- Lenny Lou leopard led leprechauns leaping like lemmings.
(by Brian & Grace McKeon)
Like appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Pangrams have subjects like "dewy fox quiz". (35 letters)
- Why did Max become eloquent over a zany gift like judhpurs? (48 letters)
- Jelly-like above the high wire, six quaking pachyderms kept the climax of the extravaganza in a dazzling state of flux. (97 letters)
Like appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Derek, I like red!
- Did Joe kill like O.J. did?
- Won’t one race we kill appal like we care not now?
Usage statistics for the verb like:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective like
- Definition of the adverb like
- Definition of the noun like
- Definition of the verb like
- Other definitions of like
- Phrases with Like
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Like
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Like
- Usage statistics about like
- Photos about Like
- Video language resources about Like
- Sign language
- Quotes about Like
- Scrabble value of L1I1K5E1
- Anagrams of LIKE
- Share this page
The word like is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective like
What does like mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: liker | likest
- resembling or similar; having the same or some of the same characteristics; often used in combination
- equal in amount or value
- having the same or similar characteristics
- conforming in every respect
Alternative definition of the adjective like
- See similar.
Definition of the adverb like
What does like mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- [informal] for example, such as: to introduce an example or list of examples
- synonym: for example
Definition of the noun like
What does like mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: likes
- a similar kind
- examples: dogs, foxes, and the like | we don't want the likes of you around here
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of like: the like / the likes of
- more generic words: form / kind / sort / variety = a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
- a kind of person
Alternative definition of the noun like
- [context: usually plural] Something that a person likes (prefers).
- (sometimes as 'the likes of') Someone similar to a given person, or something similar to a given object; a comparative; a type; a sort.
Definition of the verb like
What does like mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: liked | liking | likes
- prefer or wish to do something
- find enjoyable or agreeable
- examples: I like jogging | She likes to read Russian novels | Sam and Sue like the movie
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Predicate] in [Theme] I admired the honesty in him [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme] for [Predicate] I admired him for his honesty [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme] The tourists admired the paintings [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with -ing] I loved writing [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, possessive with -ing] I loved him writing novels [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] I loved to write [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] The children liked that the clown had a red nose
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- antonym: dislike
- more specific terms:
- entailment: approve = judge to be right or commendable
- be fond of
- feel about or towards; consider, evaluate, or regard
- want to have
Alternative definition of the verb like
- [transitive, archaic] To please.
- To enjoy, be pleased by; favor; be in favor of.
- [obsolete] To derive pleasure of, by or with someone or something.
- To prefer and maintain (an action) as a regular habit or activity.
- To find attractive; to prefer the company of; to have mild romantic feelings for.
Other definitions of like
What does like also mean?
- As if; as though.
- [Liverpool, Geordie] Used to place emphasis upon a statement.
- [colloquial, obsolete, current in Scots] [A delayed filler.]
- [colloquial] [A mild intensifier.]
- [colloquial] [indicating approximation or uncertainty]
- [colloquial, slang] [When preceded by any form of the verb 'to be', used to mean “to say” or “to think”; used to precede an approximate quotation or paraphrase.]
- Somewhat similar to, reminiscent of.
- antonym: unlike
Like is a publisher.
- also known as Like Kustannus Oy
- official website: www.like.fi
Who is Like?
Like is a member of the group, Pac Div.
- profession: Rapper, musician
- member of musical group Pac Div (Vocals) since
- read more about Like (singer)
"Like" is the debut novel by Scottish author Ali Smith, first published in 1997 in the UK by Virago and in the following year in the US by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, it draws much from Ali Smith's own life growing up Inverness and then moving to Cambridge as a student.
- language: English Language
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Like" is a composition.
- "Like" a.k.a. "Like..." is a musical album of Future 3.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Like" is a musical single of Roma Acorn.
- released in
- "LIKE" is a musical album of Standing Egg.
- released on
- "Like" a.k.a. "#Like!" is a musical single of Cokelat.
- released on
- Like: In the English language, the word like has a very flexible range of uses, ranging from conventional to non-standard. It can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, preposition, particle, conjunction, hedge, filler, and quotative.
- Like a.k.a. Like.com is the first true visual search engine, where the contents of photos are used to search and retrieve similar items. Like.
- read more about Like.com
Phrases with Like
Phrases starting with the word Like:
Phrases ending with the word Like:
- Be Like
- to like
- the like
View more phrases with the word Like in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Like
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
glimmered like a shower of diamonds in the broken moonlight —Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Glimmer like glow worms twinkling through the shade —Sir Walter Scott Glimmer, ...
The Cleaning Encyclopedia (2009)
Your A-to-Z Illustrated Guide to Cleaning Like the Pros by Don Aslett
Your A-to-Z Illustrated Guide to Cleaning Like the Pros Don Aslett. BEFORE YOU START TO CLEAN P 7 have, the color of your pets, and even the shade of your local soil; it will lighten your cleaning load. Who wants to spend a lifetime picking ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Like
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about like
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb like:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun like:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb like:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb like and its most common antonym:
Photos about Like
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: luca.sartoni
like shaped glove
Photo credit: gomessda
Photo credit: Pat Guiney
Photo credit: angermann
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
- Like the moonlight
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm/F2.8 (Silver Body)
Japanese silver grasses @ Showa Commemorative National Government Park, Tokyo
Photo credit: ai3310X
- Autumn like
Photo credit: storebukkebruse
- "Feeling Like Fall"
Photo credit: jjlcooterpie
Oh em gee!
Photo credit: Damian Morys Photography
- Like a mirror
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Like Sticker
Photo credit: ryanmotoNSB
- Like glasses
Photo credit: mcalamelli
- Days Like This
Photo credit: jDevaun.Photography
- Like pearls
Photo credit: Infomastern
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Like
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vivek's Funny Speech | Girls like double meaning dialogues | Yaaruda Mahesh Audio Launch
Yaaruda Mahesh is an Tamil romantic comedy film directed by R. Madhan Kumar, starring Sundeep Kishan and Dimple Chopade. It also has the likes of Jagan, ...
- Top 10 English Texting Slang - How to Chat like a Native Speaker
- VOCABULARY: How to use reporting verbs like insist, demand and advise
- Unscheduled Blood Moons! Here's One Explanation You Wont Like!
Just an opinion.... you may disagree.... but this forum is for sharing of ideas and information not for the sharing of insults.
- Basic RC Terminology for Multirotors and Aerial Video like the XP2 Quadcopter
Wes goes over basic RC and Multirotor terminology for Aerial Video like the XP2 Quadcopter. He covers some really good basic information for anyone who is ...
- Mystery Slang. They All Ran Like Numbers
- English vocabulary lesson: LIKE
"Do you like Currywurst?" or "Would you like some Currywurst"? What is the difference between "Do you like?" and "Would you like?" And how do you answer ...
- Live Like This - The Xcerts (New Slang, Kingston)
The Xcerts in Kingston on 15th of January, 2015.
- English Vocabulary: Using The Word "Like"
- Like The Clappers - Slang - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Ad Campaign Asks to Rethink The Meaning of 'Like a Girl'
Procter & Gamble's 'Like A Girl' campaign for its Always feminine care product line aims to redefine the phrase, transforming it from an insult to a point of pride.
- Maps of Meaning: 3 Becoming Like Gods (TVO)
Professor Jordan Peterson Subtitled in English and Translated into Farsi by [email protected] English Playlist: ...
- There's no place like home Meaning
Video shows what there's no place like home means. one feels the most comfortable at home. There's no place like home Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- English for Kids ESL Kids Lessons Weather What's the weather like
- Using the common expression 'LIKE' - Free English Grammar Lessons ( ESL )
In this video lesson Rachna teaches the various uses of the common expression LIKE. She brings out the difference between Like, Like to, Would like etc.
- Aly & Fila vs. Andain - Lost Language vs. What It's Like (Ahmed Romel's FSOE 400 Mashup)
Ripped from Ahmed Romel - Live @ Future Sound of Egypt 400 at Festival Hall in Melbourne, Australia (2015-08-08). Picture from: ...
- Love hate like + verb + ing
Simple explaination about the constructions of verbes after LIKE, LOVE, HATE.-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Learn the African Language Twi Like a Baby.
This video attempts to teach the basics of the Ashanti language Twi through a baby song. Please download a copy of the album on itunes at ...
- Language Learning Like A Pro With The Mimic Method
- Larry Wall: Why Perl Is Like a Human Language
Wall's background in linguistics helped him to create a programming language that borrows bits from other languages, much like English.
- Give presentations like Steve Jobs! Subtitled for ESL students. Parts of a speech
Give presentations like Steve Jobs! How to present. Parts of a presentation: 1. Set a theme! (A headline) 2. Provide an outline 3. Make clear transitions ...
- What subject do you like ESL SONG
Another song for ESL kids to help teach them school subjects. What subject do you like? The pictures are from philipmartin.info. and some png pics. Music by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Like!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign Language Music Video- Red Like Roses
Song: Red like Roses from RWBY by Jeff Williams.
- LIKE: American Sign Language for LIKE
The American Sign Language sign for LIKE. Show this to your baby or toddler when talking about food or toys items that you like. To find out more about ...
- Wonder Girls - "Like This" in American Sign Language (ASL)
English Lyrics: English Translation: Like this yo Like this, shake it up and down like this Like this yo Like this, spin your body left to right like this Like this yo Like ...
Quotes about Like
I just happen to like the work. I like preparing for a role. I like reading. I like analyzing. I like literature. I like emotions. I like working with other actors. (Elle Macpherson)
more quotes about like...
Scrabble value of L1I1K5E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LIKE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Like!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Like to see it in context!