Usage statistics for the adjective likely:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective likely
- Definition of the adverb likely
- Definition of the noun likely
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Likely
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Likely
- Usage statistics about likely
- Photo about Likely
- Videos about Likely
- Quotes about Likely
- Scrabble value of L1I1K5E1L1Y4
- Anagrams of LIKELY
- Share this page
The word likely is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective likely
What does likely mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more likely / likelier | most likely / likeliest
- has a good chance of being the case or of coming about
- examples: these services are likely to be available to us all before long | she is likely to forget | a likely place for a restaurant | the broken limb is likely to fall | rain is likely | a likely topic for investigation | likely candidates for the job
- antonym: unlikely
- similar: apt / liable; probable; promising
- attribute: likelihood / likeliness = the probability of a specified outcome
- see also: possible
- likely but not certain to be or become true or real
- expected to become or be; in prospect
- within the realm of credibility
Alternative definition of the adjective likely
- probable; having a greater-than-even chance of occurring
- synonym: liable
- probable; Possessing or displaying the qualities or characteristics that make something probable
- appropriate, suitable; believable; having a good potential
- plausible; Within the realm of credibility
- promising; Apt to achieve success or yield a desired outcome
- attractive; pleasant
- [context: as predicate, followed by to and infinitive] Reasonably to be expected; apparently destined.
Definition of the adverb likely
What does likely mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- with considerable certainty; without much doubt
Alternative definition of the adverb likely
- [obsolete] Similarly.
- See Probably.
Definition of the noun likely
What does likely mean as a name of something?
- Something or somebody considered likely.
Likely is a census-designated place in Modoc County, California. It is located near the South Fork of the Pit River 18 miles south of the county seat of Alturas, at an elevation of 4,449 feet. Located 6 miles north-northwest of Likely Mountain, it is somewhat sheltered from prevailing southwesterly winds, and its microclimate is noticeably drier and less stormy than surrounding areas. The ZIP Code for the community is 96116. Likely has been noted for its unusual place name.
"Likely" is a book by Lisa Coffman.
- also known as "Likely: poems"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Likely
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by J. D. Douglas, Merrill C. Tenney
The Greek word likely refers to the dialectical peculiarity of one like Peter, who spoke Jewish Aramaic in a way characteristic of Galilee. “Accent” may be too restricted a rendering, for lalia probably included the peculiar use of words and idioms ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
Content-driven programmes are also common where there is a perceived need for high levels of language proficiency and intensive language learning is most likely to yield the desired results. Content-driven programmes, such as immersion , ...
Worldwide and long-range socio-economic development outlooks point to areas likely to affect user requirements for meteorological information. Three are of particular importance: * pollution of the environment on a global scale and other ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Likely
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about likely
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the adjective likely:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective likely and its most common antonym:
Photo about Likely
Photo credit: Paul Papadimitriou
Videos about Likely
Click on an item to play that video:
- Justice Kumaraswamy likely to provide an explanation regarding the arithmetic error
According to reports, Justice Kumaraswamy is likely to provide an explanation on Friday regarding the arithmetic error pointed out in the judgement copy.
- Likely Meaning
Video shows what likely means. probable; having a greater-than-even chance of occurring. probable. appropriate, suitable; believable; having a good potential.
- 666 a likely explanation
- Hot Hot Jacqueline Fernandes Likely To Sign The Definition Of Fear Bollywood Babes
- Federal Reserve to Likely Move Away From 'Patience' Language: Strategist
The markets are gearing up for more insight from Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen, as she addresses the House Financial Services Committee on ...
- Teachers More Likely to Have Progressive Speech and Language Disorders
Mayo Clinic researchers have found a surprising occupational hazard for teachers: progressive speech and language disorders. The research, recently ...
- Keefe Jackson's Likely So - There is no language without deceit
live at the 2014 Chicago Jazz Festival.
- Governor E S L Narsimhan: Common EAMCET likely for Telangana, AP - 6TV
Watch 6TV, the 24/7 Telugu news channel. dedicated in delivering breaking news, live reports, exclusive interviews, sports, weather, entertainment, business ...
- ESL - History & Culture - Taiwan not likely to dig China's plan for 80B tunnel connection - Adjecti
The latest plan that China has to link the mainland to Taiwan is to through the use of a tunnel that would be triple the size of the English Channel tunnel.
View more videos about Most Likely.
See also the pronunciation examples of Likely!
Quotes about Likely
Bisexuality means I am free and I am as likely to want to love a woman as I am likely to want to love a man, and what about that? Isn't that what freedom implies? (June Jordan)
more quotes about likely...
Scrabble value of L1I1K5E1L1Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LIKELY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Likely!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Likely to see it in context!