Definition of linguist
What does linguist mean?
- a specialist in linguistics
- synonym of linguist: linguistic scientist
- more generic word: scientist = a person with advanced knowledge of one or more sciences
- more specific terms:
- computational linguist = someone trained in computer science and linguistics who uses computers for natural language processing
- syntactician / grammarian = a linguist who specializes in the study of grammar and syntax
- Hebraist = linguist specializing in the Hebrew language
- lexicographer / lexicologist = a compiler or writer of a dictionary
- neurolinguist = someone trained in neuroscience and linguistics who studies brain processes during language production and reception
- phonetician = a specialist in phonetics
- phonologist = a specialist in phonology
- psycholinguist = a person (usually a psychologist but sometimes a linguist) who studies the psychological basis of human language
- semanticist / semiotician = a specialist in the study of meaning
- sociolinguist = a linguist who studies the social and cultural factors that influence linguistic communication
- Leonard Bloomfield / Bloomfield = United States linguist who adopted a behavioristic approach to linguistics
- A. Noam Chomsky / Noam Chomsky / Chomsky = United States linguist whose theory of generative grammar redefined the field of linguistics
- Ferdinand de Saussure / de Saussure / Saussure = Swiss linguist and expert in historical linguistics whose lectures laid the foundations for synchronic linguistics
- John Rupert Firth / J. R. Firth / Firth = English linguist who contributed to linguistic semantics and to prosodic phonology and who was noted for his insistence on studying both sound and meaning in context
- Jakob Ludwig Karl Grimm / Jakob Grimm / Grimm = the older of the two Grimm brothers remembered best for their fairy stories
- Roman Osipovich Jakobson / Roman Jakobson / Jakobson = United States linguist (born in Russia) noted for his description of the universals of phonology
- Jens Otto Harry Jespersen / Otto Jespersen / Jespersen = Danish linguist
- Edward Sapir / Sapir = anthropologist and linguist
- a person who speaks more than one language
- synonym of linguist: polyglot
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific words:
Phrases with linguist
- comparative linguist
- computational linguist
Linguist is one of the founding members of Advanced Chemistry, a German hip-hop group from Heidelberg, South Germany. Advanced Chemistry was founded in 1987 by Linguist, Toni L, Gee-One, DJ Mike MD and MC Torch.
- member of musical group Advanced Chemistry since 1987
Linguist is a fictional character in the 2012 action comedy sci-fi film Men in Black III.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for linguist
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Applied Linguistics (2013)
by Li Wei
The Applied Linguist is a Jack ofall trades. Real-world language problems can seldom be resolved by looking at a single aspect of language. Since Applied Linguistics is inter- disciplinary, the Applied Linguist is expected to know a little about ...
Contemporary Applied Linguistics Volume 1 (2011)
Volume One Language Teaching and Learning by Li Wei, Vivian Cook
The applied linguist is a Jack of all trades. Real-world language problems can seldom be resolved by looking at a single aspect of language. Since applied linguistics is interdisciplinary, the applied linguist is expected to know a little about ...
The Last Speakers (2010)
The Quest to Save the World's Most Endangered Languages by K. David Harrison
some think a linguist is a word pundit or grammar maven, doling out advice about correct usage or obscure word origins. “file US. government uses the term to refer to translators ...
Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science (1979)
Volume 27 - Scientific and Technical Libraries to Slavic Paleography by Allen Kent, Harold Lancour, Jay E. Daily
Borkovskii, a linguist, whose interest in certain aspects of Slavic paleography began as far back as in 1931 ("O iazyke Suzdal'skoi letopisi po Lavrent'evskomu spisku" [The Language of the Suzdal' Chronicle According to ...
Encyclopedia of the World's Endangered Languages (2012)
by Christopher Moseley
group membersin4 villages, most speaking this language recently located by Thai linguist Theraphan Luangthongkum. Endangered. Dakkang  Laos: Xekong Province, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for linguist
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about linguist
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Linguist Spa
The spa at Sandiway's house. The closest guy in the water is the chair of the linguistics department.
Photo credit: Aaron Jacobs
- Tlingit Linguist Nora Dauenhauer
Photo credit: Sam Beebe, Ecotrust
- Cunning Linguist
Flo loves a boy that can talk with his mouth full, but really he should be getting down to business and stop talking.
Photo credit: Michael_Lehet
- Garden Linguist
Photo credit: Nathan Marciniak
Video language resources about linguist
Click on an item to play that video:
- Linguist Races to Save Kanakanavu Language
Jan 10, 2013 News Clip Check the next video to listen to a story in Kanakanavu language.
- ATS Language Services "One Voice" Linguist Career opportunity
ATS offers career opportunities in language services.
- Language learning,linguist,truth for Steve Kaufman,Christophe Clugston
Truth about language learning and study,linguists,rebels,psuedo intellectuals aimed for the non academics who bandy about the term linguist when they're mere...
- Franklin Linguist 17-Language Speaking Global Tranlator EST-7117 EN
- Presentation of the Benga language by linguist Patrick Mouguiama-Daouda
Linguist : Patrick Mouguiama-Daouda Camera and sound : Muriel Lutz Editing : Caroline Laurent To learn more...
- 25 language speaking linguist from Japan No.2 fF2-1
1. Arabic.French.Turkish.Mandarin.Indonesian.Hindi.Hebrew. 2. Polish.Hungarian,Czech.Kantonese.Tamil.German. 3. Russian.Shanghainese.Mongolian.Korean. 4.etc....
- The Baynunk language by linguist Sokhna Bao-Diop
Image & sound: Muriel Lutz, assisted by Cheikh Tidiane Sall Linguist: Sokhna Bao-Diop Editing: Caroline Laurent.
- Ancient Language Recreation Linguist Recreates Proto Indo European Language
- Linguist recreates proto indo European language
Ancient language not heard for 4000 years is recorded for the first time as linguists work out how English came about using ancient texts.
- Presentation of the Akele language by the linguist Jean-Marie Hombert
Linguist : Jean-Marie Hombert Image and sound : Luc-Henri Fage Editing : Caroline Laurent Learn more...
- Why you are a cunning linguist - You are a language expert
- Prominent Historian & Linguist Benudhar Sharma speaking on the Assamese language
See also the pronunciation examples of linguist!
Scrabble value of L1I1N1G2U1I1S1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of linguist to find many related words and phrases!