The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun listing:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun listing
- Definition of the adjective listing
- Definition of the verb listing
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Listing
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Listing
- Photos about Listing
- Video language resources about Listing
- Quotes about Listing
- Scrabble value of L1I1S1T1I1N1G2
- Anagrams of LISTING
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun listing
What does listing mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: listings
- a database containing an ordered array of items (names or topics)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of listing: list
- more generic word: database = an organized body of related information
- more specific terms:
- order of business / agendum / agenda = a list of matters to be taken up
- A-list = a list of names of specially favored people
- bibliography = a list of writings with time and place of publication
- bill = a list of particulars
- black book / blacklist / shitlist = a list of people who are out of favor
- calendar = a list or register of events
- calorie chart = a list of foods and information about their caloric content
- canon = a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- catalogue / catalog = a complete list of things
- character set = an ordered list of characters that are used together in writing or printing
- chart = a listing of best-selling recorded music
- checklist = a list of items (names or tasks etc.) to be checked or consulted
- honours list / class list = a list issued by examiners that categorizes students according to the class of honours they achieved in their degree examinations
- codex = an official list of chemicals or medicines etc.
- table of contents / contents = a list of divisions (chapters or articles) and the pages on which they start
- corrigenda = a list of printing errors in a book along with their corrections
- credits = a list of acknowledgements of those who contributed to the creation of a film
- criminal record / record = a list of crimes for which an accused person has been previously convicted
- directory = a listing of the files stored in memory
- distribution list = list of names to whom a communication should be sent
- enumeration / numbering = a numbered list
- FAQ = a list of questions that are frequently asked (about a given topic) along with their answers
- free list = a list of commodities that are not subject to tariffs
- shopping list / grocery list = a list of heterogenous items that someone wants
- hit list = a list of victims to be eliminated
- hit parade = a ranked list of the songs that are most popular at a given time
- index = an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
- key = a list of words or phrases that explain symbols or abbreviations
- key = a list of answers to a test
- stock list / inventory = a detailed list of all the items in stock
- mailing list = a list of names and addresses to which advertising material is mailed
- masthead / flag = a listing printed in all issues of a newspaper or magazine (usually on the editorial page) that gives the name of the publication and the names of the editorial staff, etc.
- computer menu / menu = a list of options available to a computer user
- necrology = a list of people who died recently
- play list / playlist = a list of musical selections for performance or for broadcast by radio
- portfolio = a list of the financial assets held by an individual or a bank or other financial institution
- posting = a listing on the company's records
- price list = a listing of prices for different goods or services
- push-down stack / push-down list / stack = a list in which the next item to be removed is the item most recently stored
- queue = an ordered list of tasks to be performed or messages to be transmitted
- roster / roll = a list of names
- schedule = an ordered list of times at which things are planned to occur
- shopping list = a list of items to be purchased
- short list / shortlist = a list of applicants winnowed from a longer list who have been deemed suitable and from which the successful person will be chosen
- sick list = a list of those who are ill
- ticket / slate = a list of candidates nominated by a political party to run for election to public offices
- standing = an ordered listing of scores or results showing the relative positions of competitors (individuals or teams) in a sporting event
- wish list = a list of events that you wish would occur
- part: point / item = a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list
- the act of making a list of items
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of listing: itemisation / itemization
- more generic words: organisation / organization = the activity or result of distributing or disposing persons or things properly or methodically
- more specific words: inventorying / stock-taking / stocktaking / inventory = making an itemized list of merchandise or supplies on hand
Alternative definition of the noun listing
- The action of the verb to list.
- An entry in a list or directory.
- [computing] A printout of a program or data set.
- A physical manifestation of a single item in a list; as a single twenty page (bound) listing.
Definition of the adjective listing
What does listing mean as an attribute of a noun?
- asking, as a price of real estate
Definition of the verb listing
What does listing mean as a doing word?
- [present participle of, list].
- Listing: In corporate finance, a listing refers to the company's shares being on the list of stock that are officially traded on a stock exchange. Normally the issuing company is the one that applies for a listing but in some countries the exchange can list a company, for instance because its stock is already being actively traded via informal channels. Initial listing requirements usually include a history of a few years of financial statements; a sufficient size of the amount being placed among the general public, both in absolute terms and as a percentage of the total outstanding stock; an approved prospectus, usually including opinions from independent assessors, and so on. Stocks whose market value and/or turnover fall below critical levels can get officially delisted; delisting is often the result of a merger or takeover, or the firm going private.
- Listing: A listing or program listing is a printed list of lines of computer code or digital data. In the early days of programming, it was used to hand-check a program and as permanent storage. It was also common in 1980s computer enthusiast magazines. Today, it is seldom used because display screens can present more lines than formerly, programs tend to be modular, storage in soft copy is considered preferable to hard copy, and digital material is easily transmitted via networks, or on disks or tapes. Furthermore, data sets tend to be too large to be conveniently put on paper, and they are more easily searched in soft-copy form. In selected environments, such as classified or other highly secure documentation, listings may still be used for secure transmission or storage.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Listing
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Paul Kimmel
The first listing is a slightly revised first few lines of the game.xml file that indicates the XSLT file to use for formatting. The second...
Listing is a cheaper method of preparing ground than plowing. Moreover, a larger area of ground can be...
All-in-One Review and Testing to Pass Georgia's AMP Real Estate Exam by Stephen Mettling, David Cusic, Ryan Mettling, Joy Stanfill
An open listing is a non-exclusive authorization to sell or lease a property. The owner may...
An adding machine, comprising in combination, a plurality of rotatable sector shaped listing means, selective Linger-pieces concentrically rigid with said listing means, means engaging said finger pieces for locking said listing means when ...
by Cristian Darie, K. Scott Allen
Yes, the code listing is a 122 Customizing your Website.
by Suryakumar Balakrishnan Nair, Andreas Oehlke
The following listing is the modified code for the shaking image: ...
The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler by Chris Eagle
J M P E B P S U B OBFUSCATED CODE ANALYSIS Even under ideal circumstances, comprehending a disassembly listing is a difficult task at best. High-quality disassemblies are essential for anyone contemplating digging into the inner ...
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
Alphabetical Listing The alphabetical listing is a guide to the placement of entries and follows a letterbyletter sequence of headwords without regard to word spacing, hyphens, or apostrophes. For example: Case classification Casecohort study ...
The Big Year (2008)
A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession by Mark Obmascik
“Bird listing is a sport,” Keith wrote, “and as such, it needs no defense, any more than baseball or bowling. Nobody feels guilty about spending a day at the World Series, nor is an evening bowl- ing considered to be wasted. Why, then, should ...
by William E. (Bill) Roark, William R. (Ryan) Roark
The listing term is negotiable between seller and agent. In addition to the term, many agreements provide for a specific period of time after expiration, the protective period, that the agent will be due a commission provided the buyer became ...
Portraits of Evil and Good by Paul Robert Bartrop
LISTING. BY. TOPICS. This page intentionally left blank. Africa Darfur/Sudan Al- Bashir, Omar Hassan Ahmad Garang,John Hilal, Musa Kapila, Mukesh Reeves, Eric Steidle, Brian Rwanda Akayesu, Jean-Paul Anyidoho, Henry Kwami ...
An Introduction to Austronesian Studies by Darrell T. Tryon
Listing. of. Austronesian. languages. Barbara F. Grimes Joseph E. Grimes Malcolm D. Ross Charles E. Grimes Darrell T. Tryon The inventory of Austronesian languages that follows is adapted from the Cornell-SIL Language Archive, the data ...
Complete Information About Harmful and Desirable Chemicals Found in Everyday Home Products, Yard Poisons, and Office Polluters by Ruth Winter
Take phthalates, for instance, a large group of chemical compounds used in the production of plastics, household articles, packages, and plant pesticides as well as cosmetics (See Listing). World production of phthalates is estimated to be ...
by Margaret L. Press
The first listing is alphabetized by Chemehuevi forms, followed by English translations ...
LISTING. 1. written engagement contract between a principal and an agent, authorizing the agent to perform services for the principal involving the latter's property. 2. record of property for sale by a BROKER who has been authorized by the ...
Encyclopedia of Percussion (2013)
by John H. Beck
an alphabetical listing of percussion instruments and terms from various cultures of the world; (2) anextensive section of illustrations of percussion instruments; (3) thirtyfive articles covering topics fromBasel drummingto ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Listing
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Listing
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Biscarotte
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Listing
Click on an item to play that video:
- Reading Comprehension: Listing / Definition
- TruSky.com - Listing Manager Explanation
- Listing Meaning
Video shows what listing means. asking, as a price of real estate. Listing Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say listing. Powered by ...
- Ftse 350 Index Definition And Company Listing
- Ftse 250 Index Definition And Company Listing
- Add A New Listing Definition
- Video terminology. For news desks and those listing to scanners.
- ONG Care: Explanation of Job Listing Website/Progress Made
- Explanation of listing and ordering
- CBBain ~ The Northwest Multiple Listing Service ~ Explanation
- Bathroom definition for Tucson Multiple Listing Service
- Explanation of Amazon Listing Service
- A deeper explanation of the Views module and the View listing page
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Determining and listing of quantities in construction
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = stock exchange listing
- Configuring the eBay Description Template - SellerCloud - eBay Listing Management - 5.3
Learn how to add images, custom columns and custom tags to the eBay description template, as well as how to set default templates to products. (text of video ...
- Kevin Ward Listing Presentation Training: Reading Body Language at ListMaster Training Camp
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 5
- Airblown Inflatable Ghost Description EBay Listing
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 8
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 7
- Listing Creation: Description Images Option
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 4
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 6
- Savvy Seller Listing Program Description
Savvy Seller Listing Program for selling your home or condo in South Florida. Full Service. Half the usual commission. 100% of the commission paid to the ...
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 3
- Book Marketing - Listing and Description at Retailers
Find out why book marketing at online retailers is very useful to sell a few more copies, and why this is similar to getting a website to show up in the search ...
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 1
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 2
- Original Furby Start Up - Ebay Listing Description 9
See also the pronunciation examples of Listing!
Quotes about Listing
In listing these tendencies making for a new world, we must not forget developments in the religious or spiritual thinking and feeling of mankind, where also we feel a strong unifying trend. (Emily Greene Balch)
more quotes about listing...
Scrabble value of L1I1S1T1I1N1G2
The value of this 7-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LISTING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Listing!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Listing to see it in context!