The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective lively:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective lively and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective lively
- Definition of the adverb lively
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lively
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lively
- Photos about Lively
- Videos about Lively
- Quotes about Lively
- Scrabble value of L1I1V4E1L1Y4
- Anagrams of LIVELY
- Share this page
The word lively is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective lively
What does lively mean as an attribute of a noun?
Lively is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more lively / livelier | most lively / liveliest
- full of life and energy
- examples: a lively discussion | lively and attractive parents | a lively party
- antonym: dull
- similar: alive; bouncing / bouncy / peppy / spirited / zippy; breezy; bubbly; bubbling / effervescent / frothy / scintillating / sparkly; burbling / burbly / effusive / gushing; live; warm
- attribute: sprightliness / liveliness / spirit / life = animation and energy in action or expression
- see also: alert / watchful; alive / animated; energetic / energic; spirited; rested
- full of zest or vigor
- quick and energetic
- elastic; rebounds readily
- filled with events or activity
- example: a lively period in history
- similar: eventful
- full of spirit; full of life
Alternative definition of the adjective lively
- Full of life; energetic.
Definition of the adverb lively
What does lively mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- [obsolete] In a lifelike manner; vibrantly, vividly.
- Lively a.k.a. Lively, West Virginia: Lively is an unincorporated community in Fayette County, West Virginia.
- read more about Lively, West Virginia
- Lively a.k.a. Lively, Missouri: Lively is an unincorporated community in Benton County, Missouri, United States. Lively is located on Knobby Creek 15.1 miles east of Warsaw.
- read more about Lively, Missouri
"Lively" a.k.a. "Lively!" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Lonnie Donegan
Lively is a ship.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lively
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Collected Works of Dugald Stewart: Elements of the philosophy of the human mind ... To which is prefixed introduction and part first of the Outlines of moral philosophy. 1854 (1854)
by Dugald Stewart, John Veitch
The word lively refers to the quickness of the association.
The collected works (1854)
Elements of the philosophy of the human mind ; Vol. 1 by Dugald Stewart
The word lively refers to the quickness of the association. The word rich or luxuriant, to the variety of associated ideas. 4.
by Dugald Stewart
The word lively refers to the quickness of the association. The word rich, or luxuriant, to the variety of associated ideas. 4. Of invention in the arts and sciences. — To these powers of wit and fancy, that of invention in the arts and sciences has a ...
Adams' New Musical Dictionary of Fifteen Thousand Technical Words, Phrases, Abbreviations, Initials, and Signs Employed in Musical and Rhythmical Art and Science, in Nearly Fifty Ancient and Modern Languages (1865)
by John Stowell Adams
With quiekness; spirited; lively. Vite et Rapide. (Fre.) Quiek and rapid. Vitement. (Fre.) Rapidly. Vitten. (Dut.) To sing. , Viula. The name given in the twelfth eentury to the viol.
by William Lines Hubbard
Quick; brisk; lively; animated. vite (vêt) Fr. adj. and adv. vitement (vët-män) Fr. adv . 1. (adj. Quick; rapid. 2. (adv.) Quickly; rapidly. Un pen plus vite, a little more quickly. vitesse (vë-tës) Fr. n. Quickness; swiftness; rapidity. vito (vë'-tô) It. adj. Quick ...
by George Stade, Karen Karbiener
Lively, Penelope Margaret 303 ouac's cross-country road trip, as depicted in On the Road (1957), from New York to San Francisco, all the while struggling with the emotional and psychological complexities of changing romantic relationships ...
Modern Music and Musicians: The great composers, part 2. Critical and biographical sketches on modern music ; Pronouncing dictionary of musical terms ; Biographical dictionary of musicians (1918)
Quick, lively. The word is occasionally employed to ...
To which is Prefixed an Introduction to the Elements of Music by Frederick Niecks
Given Names Listed by Meaning, 2d ed. by Yvonne Navarro
Gail f father; gay; joy; lively; sing; singer Gaile m gay; lively Gailen m healer; tranquil Gainer m fair; head; son Gainor m fair; head; son Gaius m rejoicer Gala f single; wealthy Galatea fivory; milky; white Galatia fivory Gale f father; gay; joy; lively; ...
Containing Concise Sketches of Over 2000 Prominent Composers and Explanations of More Than 3000 Musical Terms
Lively, sprightly, quickly. Vivacetto (It.) Rather lively.
LIVELY, adj. [ from life and like..] Brisk; vigorous; vivacious : 13ut wherefore comes old Manoa in ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
sparkle, spirit, tittup, vim, vivacity lively: active, agile, airy, alert, alive, animated, blithe, bright, brisk, buoyant, bustling, busy, buzzing, cheery, chipper, chirpy, eager, effervescent, energetic, enthusiastic, exuberant, feisty, fresh, frisky, humming, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lively
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lively
Click on an item to view that photo:
Videos about Lively
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lively Meaning
Video shows what lively means. Full of life; energetic.. Bright; vivid; glowing; strong; vigorous.. Endowed with or manifesting life; living.. Lively Meaning. How to ...
- Language Lesson 2: Lively Teaching
- Lively Language Arts 6 Features Summary Video
- Lively Language Arts 1 Features Summary Video
- ESL Activity: Running Dictation+Lively music, stage 4
This is stage 4 where the pairs change roles: now those who were writing before (Scribes) are getting to stretch legs in a piece of action. Those who were ...
- ESL Activity: Running Dictation+Lively Music, stage 3
Students become more active and interested having become comfortable with the activity and with the fun side of it. Rhythmic lively music makes it more ...
- ESL Activity: Running Dictation+Lively Music, stage 2
This is the second stage of the activity. The texts now are placed differently: either much higher, or much lower, or on the side, or upside down.
See also the pronunciation examples of Lively!
Quotes about Lively
A lively, disinterested, persistent looking for truth is extraordinarily rare. Action and faith enslave thought, both of them in order not to be troubled or inconvenienced by reflection, criticism or doubt. (Henri-Frederic Amiel)
more quotes about lively...
Scrabble value of L1I1V4E1L1Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine