Lot appears in the following tongue twister:
- A cunning young canner from Canning
Once observed to his granny,
"A canner can can
a lot of things gran,
But a canner can't can a can, can he?"
Lot appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- To lay a pig, I pay a lot.
- To last, Carter retracts a lot.
- Pass up my lot, Mt. Olympus sap!
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun lot:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb lot:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun lot
- Definition of the verb lot
- Phrases with Lot
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lot
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lot
- Photos about Lot
- Videos about Lot
- Sign language
- Quotes about Lot
- Scrabble value of L1O1T1
- Anagrams of LOT
- Share this page
The word lot is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lot
What does lot mean as a name of something?
Lot is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural:
- lot: lots
- Lot: -
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- example: a lot of money
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of lot: batch / deal / flock / good deal / great deal / hatful / heap / mass / mess / mickle / mint / mountain / muckle / passel / peck / pile / plenty / pot / quite a little / raft / sight / slew / spate / stack / tidy sum / wad
- more generic terms: large indefinite amount / large indefinite quantity = an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude
- more specific words:
- a parcel of land having fixed boundaries
- example: he bought a lot on the lake
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- more generic terms: parcel / parcel of land / piece of ground / piece of land / tract = an extended area of land
- more specific terms:
- an unofficial association of people or groups
- example: they were an angry lot
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of lot: band / circle / set
- more generic term: social group = people sharing some social relation
- more specific terms:
- car pool = a small group of car drivers who arrange to take turns driving while the others are passengers
- inner circle / coterie / ingroup / clique / camp / pack = an exclusive circle of people with a common purpose
- cohort = a band of warriors
- confederacy / conspiracy = a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose
- Four Hundred = the exclusive social set of a city
- horsey set / horsy set = a set of people sharing a devotion to horses and horseback riding and horse racing
- jet set = a set of rich and fashionable people who travel widely for pleasure
- company / party = a band of people associated temporarily in some activity
- your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you)
- example: has a happy lot
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of lot: circumstances / destiny / fate / fortune / luck / portion
- more generic word: condition = a mode of being or form of existence of a person or thing
- more specific terms:
- anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random
- any collection in its entirety
- (Old Testament) nephew of Abraham; God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah but chose to spare Lot and his family who were told to flee without looking back at the destruction
Specialised definition of the noun lot
Glossary of biology
quantity of material which is assumed to be a single population for sampling purposes
Definition of the verb lot
What does lot mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: lotted, lotting
- divide into lots, as of land, for example
- administer or bestow, as in small portions
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of lot: administer / allot / deal / deal out / dish out / dispense / distribute / dole out / mete out / parcel out / shell out
- more generic word: give = transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
- more specific words:
- Lot is a department in the southwest of France named after the Lot River.
- The Lot, originally the Olt, is a river in France, right tributary of the Garonne. It rises in the Cévennes, flowing west through Quercy, where it flows into the Garonne near Aiguillon, a total distance of 481 kilometres. It gives its name to the Lot département.
- Lot is a village in the municipality of Beersel, Belgium.
- also known as Lot, Beersel; Lot, Belgium
- part of Beersel
- Lot a.k.a. Lewis University Airport is a public airport located 20 miles southwest of Chicago, in the village of Romeoville in Will County, Illinois, United States. The Joliet Regional Port District assumed ownership of the airport in 1989. The National Weather Service Chicago, Illinois is adjacent to the airport.
- LOT a.k.a. Land of Tomorrow is a Venue in Louisville.
- read more about Land of Tomorrow
- Lot a.k.a. Lot, Kentucky: Lot is an unincorporated community located in Whitley County, Kentucky, United States.
- read more about Lot, Kentucky
There are other places with in their name, like lot 1, lot 2, lot 3, lot 4, LOT 5, lot 6, lot 7, LOT 8, lot 9, lot 10, lot 11, Lot 12, lot 13, lot 14, lot 15, lot 16, lot 17, lot 18, lot 19 and lot 20.
Who is Lot?
Lot is a person mentioned in the biblical Book of Genesis chapters 11–14 and 19. Notable episodes in his life include his travels with his uncle Abram, his flight from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, during which Lot's wife became a pillar of salt, and the seduction by his daughters so that they could bear children.
LOT a.k.a. LOT Polish Airlines: Polskie Linie Lotnicze LOT S.A., trading as LOT Polish Airlines, is the flag carrier of Poland. Based in Warsaw, LOT was established in 1929, making it one of the world's oldest airlines still in operation. Using a fleet of 55 aircraft, LOT operates a complex network to 60 destinations in Europe, the Middle East, North America, and Asia. Most of the destinations are served from its hub, Warsaw Chopin Airport.
- read more about LOT Polish Airlines
- Lot: The fictional representation of Lot, a person mentioned in the biblical Book of Genesis chapters 11–14 and 19.
- Lot is een fictief personage uit de kinderserie Sesamstraat gespeeld door Lot Lohr.
- also known as Lotje
- Lot is a fictional character from the 1933 film Lot in Sodom.
There are other characters with in their name, like Lot's wife.
"Lot" is a short story written by Ward Moore.
- released in (62 years ago)
- "Lot" a.k.a. "Flight" is a 2012 drama film written by John Gatins and directed by Robert Zemeckis.
- read more about Flight
- "Lot" is a short film, directed by Tamar van den Dop.
- country: Netherlands
- language: Dutch Language
- released in (12 years ago)
- Lot: A lot is an old unit of weight used in many European countries since the Middle Ages until the beginning of the 20th century. Most often it was defined as either ¹⁄₃₀ or ¹⁄₃₂ of a pound. Recorded values range from 10 to 50 grams.
- Lot a.k.a. Otuho Language: Otuho is the language of the Lotuko people of Eastern Equatoria, an area in Southern Sudan. It is an Eastern Nilotic language, and has several dialects.
- also known as Lotuko, Lotuho, Olotorit, Latuka, Otuxo, Lattuka, Lotuka, Latooka, Lotuxo, Latuko, Lotuko language
- Lot a.k.a. Preserved specimen: A physical object representing one or more organisms, part of organism, or artifact of an organism. synonyms: voucher, collection, lot.
- read more about Preserved specimen
Phrases with Lot
Phrases starting with the word Lot:
Phrases ending with the word Lot:
- a lot
- bad lot
- job lot
- odd lot
- Tax Lot
- Home Lot
- wood lot
- Round lot
- vacant lot
- A Super Lot
- parking lot
- scot and lot
- Thanks a lot
- used-car lot
- Cell Phone Lot
- Distribution Lot
Other phrase containing the word Lot:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lot
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by F.B. Williams
A lot is a parcel of land in a single ownership occupied by not more than one building and the accessory buildings or...
Getting High Minded about Love and Haight by Steve Gimbel
But the parking lot is a community of hardcore Deadheads and the occasional concert attendee. Those attendees have an affection for the Grateful Dead in common, sure, but that is hardly grounds for calling the gathering a community.
Lottie's Lot (2014)
by Nancy O'Connor
―Lottie's Lot is a thorough and engaging exploration of a family matriarch during a pivotal time in women's history.
A Philadelphia Tailgate Companion by Brian Michael
The massive lot is a prime location, a corner's jump from Citizens Bank Park and right across the street from Lincoln Financial Field. With two front lots and a back lot that seems endless, this is the place to be in Philadelphia before a game.
by Clarence T. Jones, S. Percy Jones
LOT TRACEABILITY loop feedback signal: That part of the loop output signal that is fed back to the input to produce the loop actuating signal. loop input signal: An external signal applied to a feedback control loop in control systems. loop ...
Volume 12 - Pattern Recognition: Structural Description Languages to Reliability of Computer Systems by Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent
Current practice does not consider the overall system economics when making lot size decisions, nor does it provide a uniform approach to treating resource constraints to insure the feasibility of the production program. For small-scale ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lot
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lot
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Lot
Click on an item to play that video:
- Dr. Jose Martinez, talking about the DEFINITION OF a 'STANDARD LOT'
The equivalent to 100000 units of the quote currency in a forex trade. A standard lot is similar to trade size. It is one of the three commonly known lot sizes; the ...
- Lot Meaning
Video shows what lot means. A large quantity or number; a great deal.. A separate portion; a number of things taken collectively.. One or more items auctioned or ...
- Lot Meaning
Video shows what Lot means. A nephew of Abraham in the Bible and Quran.. of biblical origin; rare today.. Lot Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Distribution lot Meaning
Video shows what distribution lot means. (retail): A synonym of case pack; the number of items in a case or number of cases on a palette. Abbreviation: DL.
- Piper Cain - Lot of Love Song Meaning
Piper Cain talks about the inspiration and meaning behind her song Lot of Love off her debut album Born of Fire.
- Spoken American English Slang, Lot's of Sex!
- 'Lot Of People Didn't Understand The Meaning Of Hanju In Pani Da Rang - Ayushmann
In this Bollywood Hungama 'Musically Yours' exclusive interview, Ayushmann Khurrana talks about his new single 'O Heeriye' and shares some interesting ...
- Lot 418 Arcano ex Hidden Meaning
- Hikes with Ranger Ted: Fly Over Explanation of Pony Ride Lot to Baby Baldy Loop (Griffith Park)
- Slang King Live at Lot 13 Serious Rockers Release 030815
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Lot No
- Meadowview Estates Lot Description
- Oxford lot Description 2
- Oxford lot description 1
- Whole Foods, whole lot of language controversy
Whole Foods has ignited a firestorm. Can a company tell its employees they aren't allowed to speak Spanish -- even to each other?
- Outer Box coder for barcode, product description, batch number, lot number
See also the pronunciation examples of Lot!
(10 Month) Baby Sign Language Signing a lot in a row
10 months Words include Light, More, Food, Potty (not correct), Milk, water.
Quotes about Lot
I sure saw a lot of kids that I'm sure didn't know a lot about us, or we were definitely new to them. The kids who came up to me afterward, we'd talk about music, sign a lot of autographs. So I'm sure we made a lot of new fans. (Joan Jett)
more quotes about lot...
Scrabble value of L1O1T1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LOT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Lot!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Lot to see it in context!