Macaroni appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Zeus: "Nile macaroni, Ma, is a nitrate-tart in Asia Minor, a camel in Suez."
- A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros' rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal - Panama!
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun macaroni
What does macaroni mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: macaronis (fop) / macaronies (less preferred form; fop) / macaronis (pasta)
- a British dandy in the 18th century who affected Continental mannerisms
- pasta in the form of slender tubes
Alternative definition of the noun macaroni
- [uncountable] A type of pasta in the form of short tubes.
- hyponyms: elbow macaroni
- (used by Italian-Americans, especially in Philadelphia and New Jersey) A generic term for pasta.
- [pejorative] In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, a man who dressed and often spoke in an ostentatiously affected and effeminate manner.
- A sort of droll or fool; a fop; – applied especially to English fops of about 1775.
Phrases with macaroni
Macaroni is a variety of moderately extended, dry pasta made with durum wheat. Macaroni noodles normally do not contain eggs, and are normally cut in short, hollow shapes; however, the term refers not to the shape of the pasta, but to the kind of dough from which the noodle is made. Although home machines exist that can make macaroni shapes, macaroni is usually made commercially by large-scale extrusion. The curved shape is caused by the different speeds on either side of the pasta tube as it comes out of the machine. The name derives from Italian "maccheroni", although today this name has fallen into disuse, in favor of more popular names "rigatoni" or "tortiglioni".
- also known as Macaroni, dry, enriched; Elbow macaroni; Macaroni, dry, unenriched
- more generic: Pasta
- Salad Recipe - How to Make Macaroni Salad
Get the top-rated recipe for Mom's Best Macaroni Salad at...
- Beef Macaroni - Easy One Pot Recipe
This isn't the mush you know from your high school cafeteria! There is a way to make beef macaroni very savoury. Its easy, comforting, filling and you probab...
- How to Cook Chicken Macaroni Soup Recipe - English
Chicken Macaroni Soup Recipe Ingredients 200g chicken breast fillet 250g elbow macaroni 4 cloves garlic 1 small onion 1 tsp black pepper 1/4 kg cabbage 1 sma...
- Macaroni (Makaroni) Persian Style Spaghetti Recipe
How to make Persian Style Spaghetti (Macaroni or Makaroni) in easy steps. Macaroni Recipe...
- Macaroni Pulao recipe - Pasta Pulao Recipes
Macroni Pasta Pulao Recipe in Hindi...
"Macaroni" is a 1985 Italian comedy film directed by Ettore Scola.
- also known as Macarroni, Makaróni
- country: Italy
- languages: Italian Language, English Language
- producers: Franco Committeri, Aurelio De Laurentiis, Luigi De Laurentiis
- production design by Luciano Ricceri
- written by Ruggero Maccari, Furio Scarpelli, Ettore Scola
- Jack Lemmon as Robert Traven
- Marcello Mastroianni as Antonio Jasiello
- Daria Nicolodi as Laura Di Falco
- Isa Danieli as Carmelina Jasiello
- Maria Luisa Santella as Door Keeper
- Patrizia Sacchi as Virginia
- Bruno Esposito as Giulio Jasiello
- Orsetta Gregoretti as Young actress in theater
- Marc Berman as French record producer #1
- Jean-François Perrier as French record producer #2
- Giovanna Sanfilippo as Maria
- Fabio Tenore as Pasqualino
- Marta Bifano as Luisella
- Aldo De Martino as Cottone
- Tilde De Spirito as The villain's mistress
- Carlotta Ercolino as TV journalist
- Vincenza Gioioso as Donna Amalia
- cinematography by Claudio Ragona
- edited by Carla Simoncelli
- music by Armando Trovajoli
- costume design by Nanà Cecchi
- set decoration by Ezio Di Monte
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (28 years ago)
- award: - David di Donatello for Best Music nomination for Armando Trovajoli
- "Macaroni" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Yasutaka Nakata
- "Macaroni" is a musical album of Bobby Conn.
- released on
- official website: www.firerecords.com/site/index.php?page=release&releaseid=768
Macaroni is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Duchess.
Macaroni was a British Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. In a career that lasted from October 1862 to September 1863 he ran eight times and won seven races. In 1863 he won all seven of his races including the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, the Epsom Derby and the Doncaster Cup.
- born in (154 years ago)
Macaroni: A macaroni in mid-18th century England, was a fashionable fellow who dressed and even spoke in an outlandishly affected and epicene manner. The term pejoratively referred to a man who "exceeded the ordinary bounds of fashion" in terms of clothes, fastidious eating and gambling.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for macaroni
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Profitable Agro Based Projects with Project Profiles (Cereal Food Technology) (2nd Revised Edition) (2012)
by P. K. Chattopadhyay
Macaroni : Macaroni is the standard product of this type, it looks exactly like spaghitti with a hole in the centre. The outer diameter of macroni may go down to little more than 3 mm About 4-5 mm is the popular size. But larger diameter upto 10 ...
by Elizabeth Barone Callahan
A small macaroni is a good choice. This wholesome dish is wonderful toddler food. Young children like the miniature meatballs. Escarole Soup With Pepperoni (serves six) Replace the chicken with pepperoni Ingredients: 2 sticks of pepperoni ...
by Beau Riffenburgh
Breeding and Survival Macaroni penguins are colonial breeders, usually breeding in large colonies. They are monogamous, with often long-lasting pair bonds. Nests are on level or steep ground that frequently is devoid of vegetation because ...
by Myles H. Bader
The word macaroni actually came from the exclamation made by the Italians in the 1700s when they saw the price the Germans were asking for pasta. The Italians were upset at the price and said “ma caroni,” which meant “but it's too dear”; the ...
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1877)
by Popular encyclopedia
MACARONI, Maccaroni, or Maccheroni, a preparation of fine flour, which forms a favourite article of food among the Italians. It is eaten in various ways, generally simply boiled, and served up with grated cheese. Macaroni is generally made in ...
macaroni (raak-a-ro'ni), n. and a. [Formerly also maccaroni, ' mackeroni, machcroni; = F. macaroni = Sp. macarrones = Pg. macarrSo, < Olt. maccaroni, It. maccheroni, macaroni, orig. a mixture ...
cooked and uncooked foods, what to eat and how to eat it ...
MACARONI WITH CHEESE. One-half pound macaroni, one cupful of milk, three tablespoonfuls grated cheese, two eggs, two ...
by Robert A. Ronzio
Macaroni includes pasta strands (such as spaghetti) , shells (conchiglie), or tubes (cannelloni, elbow macaroni, or ziti), and it can be bent, corrugated, straight, or spiraled. Macaroni is composed of flour from durum ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1914)
by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
macaroni (mak-a-ro'ni), n. and a. [Formerly also maccaroni," mackeroni, macheroni; = F. macaroni = Sp. macarrones = Pg. macarrSo, < Olt. maccaroni, It. macchcroni, macaroni, orig. a mixture ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for macaroni
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about macaroni
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Macaroni & Cheese
From Only U Cafe at UBC
Photo credit: Vancouver Bites!
- Macaroni & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese, makaroni keju
Photo credit: zoyachubby
- Macaroni Bay, Mustique
Photo credit: Jason Pratt
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Photo credit: twitchery
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Photo credit: twitchery
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about macaroni
Scrabble value of M3A1C3A1R1O1N1I1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MACARONI
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of macaroni!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of macaroni to see it in context!