Macaroni appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Zeus: "Nile macaroni, Ma, is a nitrate-tart in Asia Minor, a camel in Suez."
- A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros' rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal - Panama!
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Macaroni
What does Macaroni mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: macaronis (fop) / macaronies (less preferred form; fop) / macaronis (pasta)
- a British dandy in the 18th century who affected Continental mannerisms
- pasta in the form of slender tubes
Alternative definition of the noun Macaroni
- [uncountable] A type of pasta in the form of short tubes.
- hyponyms: elbow macaroni
- (used by Italian-Americans, especially in Philadelphia and New Jersey) A generic term for pasta.
- [pejorative] In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, a man who dressed and often spoke in an ostentatiously affected and effeminate manner.
- A sort of droll or fool; a fop; – applied especially to English fops of about 1775.
Macaroni is a variety of dry pasta, originating from Italy, made with durum wheat. Macaroni usually does not contain eggs and is normally cut in short, hollow shapes. It may be straight or curved, in which case it is frequently called elbow macaroni. Elbow maraconi is more common in the US and Canada, while British macaroni tends to be straight. Although home machines exist that can make macaroni shapes, macaroni is usually made commercially by large-scale extrusion. The curved shape is caused by different speeds on each side of the pasta tube as it comes out of the machine. The name comes from the Italian maccheroni, plural form of maccherone. A different name, chifferi or lumaconi, refers to bigger size of elbow-shape pasta.
- also known as Macaroni, dry, enriched; Elbow macaroni; Macaroni, dry, unenriched
- more generic: Pasta
- Salad Recipe - How to Make Macaroni Salad
Get the top-rated recipe for Mom's Best Macaroni Salad at...
- How to Cook Chicken Macaroni Soup Recipe - English
Chicken Macaroni Soup Recipe Ingredients 200g chicken breast fillet 250g elbow macaroni 4 cloves garlic 1 small onion 1 tsp black pepper 1/4 kg cabbage 1 sma...
- Beef Macaroni - Easy One Pot Recipe
This isn't the mush you know from your high school cafeteria! There is a way to make beef macaroni very savoury. Its easy, comforting, filling and you probab...
- Macaroni (Makaroni) Persian Style Spaghetti Recipe
How to make Persian Style Spaghetti (Macaroni or Makaroni) in easy steps. Macaroni Recipe...
- Loaded Macaroni Salad Recipe
Get This Recipe And Many...
"Macaroni" is a 1985 Italian comedy film directed by Ettore Scola. The film was selected as the Italian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 58th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee.
- also known as Makaróni, Macarroni
- country: Italy
- languages: Italian Language, English Language
- producers: Franco Committeri, Aurelio De Laurentiis, Luigi De Laurentiis
- production design by Luciano Ricceri
- written by Ruggero Maccari, Furio Scarpelli, Ettore Scola
- Jack Lemmon as Robert Traven
- Marcello Mastroianni as Antonio Jasiello
- Daria Nicolodi as Laura Di Falco
- Isa Danieli as Carmelina Jasiello
- Maria Luisa Santella as Door Keeper
- Patrizia Sacchi as Virginia
- Bruno Esposito as Giulio Jasiello
- Orsetta Gregoretti as Young actress in theater
- Marc Berman as French record producer #1
- Jean-François Perrier as French record producer #2
- Giovanna Sanfilippo as Maria
- Fabio Tenore as Pasqualino
- Marta Bifano as Luisella
- Aldo De Martino as Cottone
- Tilde De Spirito as The villain's mistress
- Carlotta Ercolino as TV journalist
- Vincenza Gioioso as Donna Amalia
- cinematography by Claudio Ragona
- edited by Carla Simoncelli
- music by Armando Trovajoli
- costume design by Nanà Cecchi
- set decoration by Ezio Di Monte
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (29 years ago)
- award: - David di Donatello for Best Music nomination for Armando Trovajoli
- "Macaroni" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Yasutaka Nakata
- "Macaroni" is a musical album of Bobby Conn.
- released on
- official website: www.firerecords.com/site/index.php?page=release&releaseid=768
Macaroni is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Duchess.
Macaroni was a British Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. In a career that lasted from October 1862 to September 1863 he ran eight times and won seven races. In 1863 he won all seven of his races including the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, the Epsom Derby and the Doncaster Cup.
- born in (155 years ago)
Macaroni: A macaroni in mid-18th-century England was a fashionable fellow who dressed and even spoke in an outlandishly affected and epicene manner. The term pejoratively referred to a man who "exceeded the ordinary bounds of fashion" in terms of clothes, fastidious eating and gambling.
Phrases with macaroni
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for macaroni
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
3 in 1 Cookbook (2010)
by Lee Robertson Reid
Macaroni is a comfort food it can be prepared for any occasion. 1 cup serving...
Popular Errors Explained (2012)
by Stewart McCartney
MACARONI IS A long, hollow and fairly thick type of pasta, oft served up in a cheese sauce as comfort food. It is very different to the thinner sorts of pasta such as vermicelli or the ubiquitous spaghetti. But to the people who invented the stuff, ...
The Life of Sir Joseph Banks (2011)
President of the Royal Society, with Some Notices of His Friends and Contemporaries by Edward Smith
The Fly-Catching Macaroni is an etching, colQured by hand, representing Sir Joseph Banks" standing with one foot on each of two globes. The spheres are reversed to each other. The Antartick Circle uf one, and the Artick Circle of the other, ...
Culture and the Condom (2005)
by Karen Anijar, Thuy DaoJensen
Macaroni is an openly gay city detective of Italian ethnicity, called in to investigate the several male castrations at Hotel Quickie, a seedy hotel known for its gay clientele and prostitution. As part of the city's safe sex campaign, condoms ...
Our Viands (2008)
by Anne Buckland
Macaroni is a stiff paste of flour and eggs, forced through holes so as to form long pipes; it is then hung across strings in the porches or windows of the houses to dry. In Naples it is eaten boiled in oil, and always with grated Parmesan cheese.
by Ken Albala
Buttered macaroni is a common side dish that may be served with any meal. The most famous Slavic pasta dishes are pelmeni and vareniki, boiled, filled dumplings. Vareniki are usually larger and often half-moon or triangular shaped, and ...
by Terry O’Brien
Macaroni is a small tubular pasta. Machete is a large, heavy knife used to cut underbrush or sugar cane. Magnificent is making a splendid appearance or show . Mahogany is a tree or a reddish-brown colour. Maim is to cripple. Maintenance is ...
by Andrew Ure
MACARONI is a duagh of fioe wheat fluor, made iato a tohalar or pipe form, of the thiekoess of gouse-qaills, whieh was first prepared io Imly, aod iatrodaeed iato eommeree aoder the oame of Imliao or Geooese paste. The wheat for this ...
by Glenn Randall Mack, Asele Surina
Buttered macaroni is a common side dish served with any meal. The popular makarony po- flotski (literally "pasta of the fleet," because it is filling and easy to make — a bachelor's specialty) incorporates boiled macaroni and seasoned ground ...
Wisconsin Statutes, 1939 (1939)
Printed Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 35.18 of These Statutes, and Embracing All General Statutes in Force at the Close of the General Session of 1939 by Wisconsin
of tllllll Macaroni is the shaped and dried doughs prepared by adding water to one or more fin. 9 f0llowing: Semolina, farina, wheat flour. It may contain added salt.
A "Full Course" Encyclopedia by Andrew F. Smith
Macaroni is a narrow hollow pasta made with durum wheat.
by Myles H. Bader
The word macaroni actually came from the exclamation made by the Italians in the 1700s when they saw the price the Germans were asking for pasta. The Italians were upset at the price and said “ma caroni,” which meant “but it's too dear”; the ...
by Robert S. Igoe
Macaroni products are prepared by drying formed units of dough made from semolina, durum flour, farina, flour, or any combination of two or more of these with water. Optional ingredients which may be used are egg white (from 0.5 to 2.0 %); ...
Antarctica and the Arctic Circle: A Geographic Encyclopedia of the Earth's Polar Regions [2 volumes] (2014)
by Andrew J. Hund
The macaroni penguin (Eudyptes chrysolophus) is a medium-sized bird that nests on islands in the Antarctic region. As with all other penguin species, it is flightless although with sturdy flippers for underwater dexterity. Typical of the penguins ...
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1877)
by Popular encyclopedia
MACARONI, Maccaroni, or Maccheroni, a preparation of fine flour, which forms a favourite article of food among the Italians. It is eaten in various ways, generally simply boiled, and served up with grated cheese. Macaroni is generally made in ...
by Charles Gordon Sinclair
Macaroon macaroni (En & Frl masc. Thick hollow tuhes of pasta, often cut into short ...
cooked and uncooked foods, what to eat and how to eat it ...
MACARONI WITH CHEESE. One-half pound macaroni, one cupful of milk, three tablespoonfuls grated cheese, two eggs, two ...
by Robert A. Ronzio
Macaroni includes pasta strands (such as spaghetti) , shells (conchiglie), or tubes (cannelloni, elbow macaroni, or ziti), and it can be bent, corrugated, straight, or spiraled. Macaroni is composed of flour from durum ...
by Jonathon Green
MACARONI n.3] mac n.2 [1970s] a condom. [SE macintosh)] mac « .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for macaroni
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about macaroni
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Shooting With Sam Macaroni!
Photo credit: gordontarpley
- Macaroni Bay, Mustique
Photo credit: Jason Pratt
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Photo credit: twitchery
- Macaroni & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese, makaroni keju
Photo credit: zoyachubby
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Photo credit: twitchery
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about macaroni
Scrabble value of M3A1C3A1R1O1N1I1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MACARONI
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of macaroni!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of macaroni to see it in context!