The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective mad:
Definition of Mad
What does Mad mean?
Mad is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
- roused to anger
- affected with madness or insanity
- marked by uncontrolled excitement or emotion
- very foolish
- Insane; crazy, mentally deranged.
- [chiefly US; UK dated + regional] Angry, annoyed.
- Wildly confused or excited.
- Extremely foolish or unwise; irrational; imprudent.
- [colloquial, usually with for or about] Extremely enthusiastic about; crazy about; infatuated with; overcome with desire for.
- [context: of animals] abnormally ferocious or furious; or, rabid, affected with rabies.
- [slang, chiefly Northeastern US] Intensifier, signifies an abundance or high quality of a thing; much or many.
- [slang, chiefly New York] Intensifier; to a large degree; extremely; exceedingly; very; unbelievably.
- [context: now colloquial US] To madden, to anger, to frustrate.
Phrases with Mad
Phrases starting with the word Mad:
- Mad cow
- mad apple
- Mad Money
- Mad For It
- mad-dog weed
- Mad As a Fish
- Mad Scientist
- Mad As a Hatter
- mad cow disease
- Mad Dog Skullcap
- mad-dog skullcap
- mad anthony wayne
- Mad As a Cut Snake
- Mad As a March Hare
Phrases ending with the word Mad:
- Go Mad
- like mad
- raving mad
- Barking Mad
- Hopping Mad
- Stark Raving Mad
View more phrases with the word Mad in thesaurus!
- Mad a.k.a. Madagascar, officially the Republic of Madagascar is an island country located in the Indian Ocean off the southeastern coast of Africa. The nation comprises the island of Madagascar, as well as numerous smaller peripheral islands. Following the prehistoric breakup of the supercontinent Gondwana, Madagascar split from India around 88 million years ago, allowing plants and animals on the island to evolve in complete isolation. Consequently, Madagascar is a biodiversity hotspot in which over 90% of its wildlife is found nowhere else on Earth. The island's diverse ecosystems and unique wildlife are threatened by human settlement.
- Mad a.k.a. Madrid–Barajas Airport: Madrid-Barajas Airport is the main international airport serving Madrid in Spain. In 2010, over 49.8 million passengers used Madrid-Barajas, making it the country's largest and busiest airport, and in 2009 it was the world's 11th busiest airport and Europe's fourth busiest airport. It opened in 1928, and has grown to be one of the most important aviation centres of Europe. Located within the city limits of Madrid, just 9 km from the city's financial district and 13 km northeast of the Puerta del Sol, Madrid's historic centre. The airport name derives from the adjacent district of Barajas, which has its own metro station on the same rail line serving the airport.
- also known as Madrid Barajas Airport
- part of Spain
- official website: www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/es/Inicio.html
- Mad a.k.a. Mád is a village in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County in northeastern Hungary.
- part of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County
- Mad is a village and municipality in the Dunajská Streda District in the Trnava Region of south-west Slovakia.
There are other places with Mad in their name, like Mad River, Mad Planet and The Mad Hatter.
- Mad a.k.a. Madeline Zima: Madeline Rose Zima is an American actress. She is best known for her six years as Grace Sheffield on the TV series The Nanny or more recently as Mia Lewis on the Showtime dramedy Californication and as Gretchen Berg on Heroes.
- Mad a.k.a. Madison Leisle is an American child actress. She is most famous for her recurring role in the television shows, Ghost Whisperer, where she portrayed Julia Miller, and Grey's Anatomy as Lisa the child. She also has a role in the 2010 movie Kill Katie Malone. She has also appeared in a number of independent films and short films.
There are other people with Mad in their name, like Mad Dog, Mad Kate, Mad Lion, Mad Mass, Mad Mick, Mad Mike, Mad Maxxx, Mad Music, Dj Mix Mad, Mad Hatter and many others.
MAD is a hard rock band from Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was formed in 1997.
- also known as Mad (banda)
- genres: Classic Punk, Hard rock
- albums: "En llamas", "Seguí la flecha", "Mad"
- official website: www.madrock.com.ar
There are other groups with Mad in their name, like No*mad, Mad Max, Mad Men, Mad Sin, the Mad, Mad Dodo, Mad Dogs, Mad Juana, Mad Monks, Mad River, Mad'house, Power Mad, Power-Mad, Raven Mad, Mad Parade, Mad Parker, Mad Planet, Mad Season, Mad Caddies and Mad Virgins.
- "Mad" is a song by American pop/R&B singer Ne-Yo. It is the third single from his album Year of the Gentleman and was produced by Stargate and himself.
- "Mad" is an EP released by English heavy metal band Raven in 1986, after the debacle of the album The Pack Is Back, which received very bad reviews and insignificant commercial success. The songs of this EP mark the return to a more aggressive and metallic sound. It has never been re-released on CD. Its tracks were released as bonus tracks on other CD releases.
- genre: Heavy metal
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Mad" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- Mad is an American humor magazine founded by editor Harvey Kurtzman and publisher William Gaines in 1952. Launched as a comic book before it became a magazine, it was widely imitated and influential, impacting not only satirical media but the entire cultural landscape of the 20th century, with editor Al Feldstein increasing readership to more than 2,000,000 during its 1970s circulation peak.
- also known as MAD Magazine
- official website: www.dccomics.com/mad
- Mad is an American animated sketch comedy series created by Kevin Shinick and produced by Warner Bros. Animation. Based upon the magazine of the same name, each episode is a collection of short animated parodies of television shows, movies, games, celebrities and other media using various types of animation. The series premiered on September 6, 2010 on Cartoon Network. It has been described as a "kid-friendly version of Robot Chicken".
- begun on
- 103 episodes of 15 or 11 minutes each, in 2 seasons
- country: United States of America
- created by William Gaines
- regular cast:
- genres: Sketch comedy, Animation, Comedy
- award: - Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Short-format Animation (How I Met Your Mummy, Kitchen Nightmare Before Christmas) nomination for Kevin Shinick, Aaron Blitzstein, Mark Marek, Sam Register, Marly Halpern-Graser, Greg White, Steve Borst & Aaron Horvath
- official website: www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/mad/index.html
- Mad a.k.a. Madura Language: Madurese Mandouriya is a language of the Madurese people of Madura Island and eastern Java, Indonesia; it is also spoken on the neighbouring small Kangean Islands and Sapudi Islands, as well as from migrants to other parts of Indonesia, namely the Tapal Kuda area comprising Pasuruan, Surabaya, Malang until Banyuwangi, Masalembu Islands, even some on Kalimantan. The Kangean dialect may be a separate language. It was traditionally written in the Javanese script, but the Latin script is now more commonly used. The number of speakers, though shrinking, is estimated to be 8-13 million.
- also known as Madhura, Basa Mathura, Madurese, Madura
- MAD is a programming language and compiler for the IBM 704 and later the IBM 709, IBM 7090, IBM 7040, UNIVAC 1107, UNIVAC 1108, Philco 210-211, and eventually the IBM S/370 mainframe computers. Developed in 1959 at the University of Michigan by Bernard Galler, Bruce Arden and Robert M. Graham, MAD is a variant of the International Algebraic Language. It was widely used to teach programming at colleges and universities during the 1960s and played a minor role in the development of CTSS, Multics, and the Michigan Terminal System computer operating systems.
- MAD: In 1984, on BITNET, a cooperative worldwide university network founded in 1981, two French students from the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris, Bruno Chabrier and Vincent Lextrait developed and operated a global MUD named MAD. It ran on the BITNET node of their school. Quickly, through a viral word of the mouth, a meaningful part of BITNET nodes in the world were playing on the central MAD server, until BITNET administrators, frightened by the adoption of the game, ask the École des Mines to stop it. It had operated slightly less than two years. MAD has been installed on several other nodes in the world, until it was completely banned, as a consequence of its success, which had led BITNET several times to complete saturation. MAD was text-based and entirely written in REXX, a script language proposed on VM/370. MAD ran on the IBM 4341 of the École des Mines de Paris. It made use of a listening utility called "wakeup" developed by one of BITNET aficionados.
- Mad a.k.a. Mal Paharia language: Mal Paharia, is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by about 60,000 of 111,000 ethnic Mal Paharia in the states of Jharkhand and West Bengal in India and possibly in Bangladesh. There is a positive attitude amongst speakers of the language, and the language health is considered vigorous. Nonetheless, some speakers have shifted to Bengali.
- also known as Malto, Paharia, Mader, Mal Pahariya, Malti, Maler, Mawer, Mawdo, Marpaharia, Mal, Dehri, Mawer Nondi, Maw, Maltu, Parsi, Malpaharia, Manlati, Mar
- Mad a.k.a. The Kumarbhag Paharia language is spoken in the Jharkhand and West Bengal states of India, and tiny pockets of Orissa state. It is a member of the Northern branch of the Dravidian language family, along with the Kurukh language and the Brahui language spoken in Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan. The language is sometime referred to as Kumar Malto. It is closely related to the Sauria Paharia language, to the point where both are sometimes together referred to as the Malto language.
- also known as Malto, Kumar, Malti, Maler, Pahariya, Mal, Maltu, Paharia
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Mad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Bible Freaks and Geeks (2007)
by Ed Strauss
insane and cnazg David the Madman The word mad means crazy, so a. FUN FACT. 0.
The Encyclopedia of Infectious Diseases (2007)
by Carol Turkington, Bonnie Ashby
mad cow disease The common name for BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY (BSE), a fatal infectious disease of the brain and spinal cord in cows that causes microscopic holes in brain tissue. Scientists believe there is a link ...
The Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies (1995)
by Bill Palmer, Karen Palmer, Ric Meyers
Mad Cold-Blooded Murder (1981). (Cold Blooded Murder). Pro.Co: Tat Cheng Films; Dir: Albert Law; Pro: Michael Hui, Lisa Mok; Ex.Pro: Wu ...
A Lexicon of Lunacy (1993)
Metaphoric Malady, Moral Responsibility, and Psychiatry by Thomas Szasz
Low pilot light Low self esteem Lunacy Lunatic Lunatic fringe Luny Lycanthropy M Mad (e.g., a mad dog; mad as a hatter; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Mad
- Mad Rad
Mad Rad @ Neumos during City Arts Festival 2011
Photo credit: kimberly marie lawson
- Mad Moon Riot
Mad Moon Riot
11 September 2013
Photo credit: Ana_Rivas
- Mad House (Walibi Wavre)
Mad House in Walibi Wavre
Photo credit: gnislew
- Mad Science: Decomposers
Mad Science of the Bay Area brought fun with worms to the Bascom Branch!
Photo credit: San José Library
View more pictures about Mad Dog, Mad Jack and Mad Hatter.
Videos about Mad
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mad Words - Vocabulary Builder - ESL British English Pronunciation
- How Money Is Mad Online - Fast And Easy Explanation
How Money Is Mad Online... once you understand this, the rest is just putting yourself into the right place to profit.
- Secret Vocabulary lesson: Mad Lib edition
Funny , easy way to review parts of speech with your kids. mad Libs are fun easy and Vocabulary lesson your children never have to know about.
- Snoop Maddie Mad Discusses The True Meaning Of Christmas 2011
- Perfect definition of you mad bro
via YouTube Capture.
- Are They Mad Birds English ESL
- Mad Skillz | Body Language vs Jive Monkees
2002 Vancouver canada.
- Mad Words - Vocabulary Builder - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Above (Mad Season album) - Spoken Description
Spoken description about Above (Mad Season album). This is text to speech video for education the public. Below is the transcript for the recording: Above is...
- MAD HOLY COW DISEASE VS. THE ADJECTIVE NOUN
the 420 show.
- ESL Games Mad Libs May 26th 2013
To join a class...
View more videos about Mad Hatter, Hopping Mad, and Mad As a Hatter.
See also the pronunciation examples of Mad!
Baby Sign Language: Mad
How to sign "mad" in ASL.
Quotes about Mad
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. (Mark Twain)
more quotes about mad...
Scrabble value of M3A1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Mad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mad to see it in context!