On this page:
- Definition of the verb maintain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Maintain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Maintain
- Usage statistics about maintain
- Photos about Maintain
- Video language resources about Maintain
- Quotes about Maintain
- Scrabble value of M3A1I1N1T1A1I1N1
- Anagrams of MAINTAIN
- Share this page
Maintain is sometimes a misspelling of mountainous.
The word maintain and its family (maintained, maintaining, maintains, maintenance) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb maintain
What does maintain mean as a doing word?
Maintain is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: maintained | maintaining | maintains
- cause to continue in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., `keep clean'
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of maintain: hold / keep
- more specific terms:
- pressurise / pressurize = maintain a certain pressure
- carry on / continue / preserve / bear on / uphold = keep or maintain in unaltered condition
- hold over = keep in a position or state from an earlier period of time
- conserve = keep constant through physical or chemical reactions or evolutionary change
- preserve = keep undisturbed for personal or private use for hunting, shooting, or fishing
- distance = keep at a distance
- housekeep = maintain a household
- keep in safety and protect from harm, decay, loss, or destruction
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of maintain: conserve / keep up / preserve
- more generic word: keep = look after; be the keeper of
- more specific terms:
- supply with necessities and support
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] They maintained a strong government [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] through [Instrument, arbitrary control with -ing] They maintained a strong government through ruthlessly crushing opponents [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] through [Instrument, not sentential clause] I maintained a strong government through ruthless domination
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of maintain: keep / sustain
- more generic terms: have / have got / hold = have or possess, either in a concrete or an abstract sense
- more specific words:
- state categorically
- example: They maintain that there was a traffic accident
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] to be [Predicate] He asserts himself to be the world's foremost authority [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] The prisoner admitted that he may have been in the area [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] The prisoner admitted his guilt
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of maintain: assert / asseverate
- more generic terms: insist / take a firm stand = be emphatic or resolute and refuse to budge
- more specific words:
- have and exercise
- maintain for use and service
- maintain by writing regular records
- state or assert
- support against an opponent
- stick to correctly or closely
Alternative definition of the verb maintain
- [obsolete, transitive] To support (someone), to back up or assist (someone) in an action. [definition 14th-19th c.]
- To keep up; to preserve (a state, condition etc.). [definition from 14th c.]
- To declare or affirm (a clause) to be true; to assert. [definition from 15th c.]
Maintain ist eine Metalcoreband aus dem norddeutschen Raum und besteht seit 1998. Am 12. September 2005 wurde ihr Debütalbum bei Swell Creek Records veröffentlicht. Sie waren 2007 mit Deadlock Vorband bei der Armamentarium Tour der deutschen Band Neaera. 2008 spielte die Band eine Tour mit As I Lay Dying und mit Killswitch Engage. Am 10. Oktober 2008 feiert sie ihr 10-jähriges Bestehen in Schneverdingen zusammen mit Maroon. Seit einem Jahr gibt es ein Streetteam.
- albums: "Reveal Our Disguise to an Infinite Abyss", "With a Vengeance", "Lifetimes"
- official website: www.maintainmetal.de
Who is Maintain?
MainTain a.k.a. Marcus Hooten is a basketball player.
- read more about Marcus Hooten
- "Maintain" is a musical single of Computer Jay.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Maintain" is a musical single of Anthony Scott MacKinnon.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Maintain" is a composition.
- music by Dan Curtin
Maintain is a tool used for managing DHCP and DNS. It was developed at the Open Source Lab at Oregon State University. There is also a demonstration that anyone can use on their website.
- license: GNU General Public License
- official website: maintainproject.osuosl.org
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Maintain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Vincent L. Wimbush, Richard Valantasis
And the self individuals seek to maintain is an overgrown, overemphasized, bloated self. Self-shrinkage in this context is the process of easing this burden or totally escaping from it.3 Prior to modern individualism and its individualistic thrust, ...
The Cinema of Raúl Ruiz (2013)
Impossible Cartographies by Michael Goddard
but for now the key element to maintain is the focus on the polyphony ...
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
It includes 12 regions and was created to maintain a stable monetary and financial system. The Federal ...
for Nurses and Healthcare Workers by Barbara F. Weller
Maintain Clear Professional Boundaries • You must refuse any gifts, favours or hospitality that might be interpreted as an attempt to gain preferential treatment. • You must not ask for or accept loans from anyone in your care or anyone close to ...
by Barry M. Gough
With a diverse people spread over vast areas, Canada today is a country struggling to maintain its national identity because of the looming shadow of the world's preeminent power, the United States. At the same time, ethnic divisions continue ...
Under the Codes and Practice Acts, at Common Law, in Equity and in Criminal Cases
suit be brought by the party injured, * * * the widow of any such deceased person * * * may maintain an action for and recover damages for the death thus occasioned." Kansas — Nonresident Widow Suing as Representative. — In Atchison ...
MAINTAIN — ED — ING. — To keep up ; sustain ; preserve ; to hold or keep in any particular state or condition ;2 used as a verb, it does not mean to provide or construct. MAINTENANCE— See Champerty and Maintenance; Husband and Wife ...
by Phillip A. Laplante
automatic allocation maintain active power balance by means of the speed governor system.
automatic black-level control electronic circuitry used to maintain the black levels of the video signal at a predetermined level.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Maintain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about maintain
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb maintain:
Photos about Maintain
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jon Skilling
- Maintain Trees
- 99% do not support sidewalk [editors note this is mathematically impossible]
- maintain trees
- maintain green space
- traffic calming issues
- no shortening of driveways
Photo credit: m.gifford
- Maintain Electric Fence
Spring neeeds the grass under the hot wires to be cut back with the brush cutter in order to maintain tthe voltage close to 6000 volts. Oct 2009.
Photo credit: Spencers Brook Farm
- Maintain security
Cadet Josue Gonzales, from Queens, N.Y., maintains a security perimeter with his M249 light machine gun during Introduction to Patrolling at Camp Buckner, Cadet Field Training July 13. The new CFT curriculum was almost completely cadet-driven, relying much less on a summer task force or tactical officers and NCOs than in previous summers. (Photo by Sgt. Vincent Fusco/DComm)
Photo credit: West Point - The U.S. Military Academy
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Maintain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Maintain Meaning
Video shows what maintain means. To support (someone), to back up or assist (someone) in an action.. To keep up; to preserve; to uphold (a state, condition etc.)
- Maintain Item Definition
- HOW TO MAINTAIN BODY LANGUAGE & HOW TO RESPOND WHILE GIVING A PRESENTATION
An USefuL VIdeO............MAKED BY EXPERTS..........................
- How to Maintain Motivation when Learning a New Language
- Maintain your confidence with one phrase, language learning tips
- DLD Encouraging Parents to Maintain Home Language Markers
- Job Description Management: The Power of Enlisting Managers to Maintain Job Descriptions
See also the pronunciation examples of Maintain!
Quotes about Maintain
Small gifts maintain friendship, big ones maintain love.
more quotes about maintain...
Scrabble value of M3A1I1N1T1A1I1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MAINTAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Maintain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Maintain to see it in context!