The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun majority:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun majority and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun majority
- Phrases with Majority
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Majority
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Majority
- Photos about Majority
- Video language resources about Majority
- Quotes about Majority
- Scrabble value of M3A1J8O1R1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
Majority is a member of the word family major, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun majority
What does majority mean as a name of something?
Majority is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: majorities
- the property resulting from being or relating to the greater in number of two parts; the main part
- example: the majority of his customers prefer it
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of majority: bulk
- antonym of majority: minority
- more generic words: figure / number = the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
- attribute: major = greater in number or size or amount
- (elections) more than half of the votes
- the age at which persons are considered competent to manage their own affairs
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of majority: legal age
- antonym of majority: minority
- more generic words: age / eld = a time of life (usually defined in years) at which some particular qualification or power arises
- part of: adulthood / maturity = the period of time in your life after your physical growth has stopped and you are fully developed
Alternative definition of the noun majority
- More than half (50%) of some group
- antonym: minority
- The difference between the winning vote and the rest of the votes
- [dated] Legal adulthood
- [UK] The office held by a member of the armed forces in the rank of major
"Majority": Cogunluk is a 2010 Turkish drama film written and directed by Seren Yüce.
- also known as Cogunluk, Çogunluk, Pleiopsifia, I pleiopsifia tis siopis, Çoğunluk
- country: Turkey
- language: Turkish Language
- producers: Önder Çakar, Sevil Demirci, Seren Yüce
- executive producer: Çiğdem Mater
- production design by Meral Efe
- written by Seren Yüce
- music by Gökçe Akçelik
- genre: Drama
- released on (4 years ago)
- read more about Majority (film)
Majority: A majority is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. This can be compared to a plurality, which is a subset larger than any other subset considered; i.e. a plurality is not necessarily a majority as the largest subset considered may consist of less than half the set's elements. In British English, majority and plurality are often used as synonyms, and the term majority is also alternatively used to refer to the winning margin, i.e. the number of votes separating the first-place finisher from the second-place finisher.
Phrases with Majority
Phrases starting with the word Majority:
- Majority draw
- majority rule
- Majority Owner
- majority leader
- majority opinion
- Majority decision
- majority operation
Phrases ending with the word Majority:
- Moral Majority
- Age of majority
- Simple Majority
- Working majority
- absolute majority
- relative majority
- Qualified Majority
- Tyranny of the majority
- Dictatorship of the Majority
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Majority
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Word Gloss (1990)
Such a majority is a simple majority.
An absolute majority is any number greater than half of the votes.
Western and Eastern Constructions
the representation of the “han” as an ethnically integrated majority is a modern phenomenon intrinsically linked to the rise of ...
A Guide to Political Disagreement by Scott F. Aikin, Robert B. Talisse
The thought is that under such conditions, the belief that can win the assent ofa majority is the best available guide to collec- tive decision making that is consistent with the other values embodied by a modern democracy, including equality ...
The Causes of the Civil War (1991)
Revised Edition by Kenneth Stampp
The law which commands obedience to the mandates of the physical force of an unrestrained numerical majority is the operative law, not only with the masses in the free States of the North, but in all communities where no divisions or orders ...
The Complexity Paradox (2014)
The More Answers We Find, the More Questions We Have by Kenneth Mossman
As they view it, the hearing majority is a threat to the deaf minority. The deaf community feels that its way of life is fully functional and that using American Sign Language instead of oral English puts them at no disadvantage in society. On the ...
by Josue M. Gonzalez
Segregationist Transitional Majority language plus foreign language Separatist Typical Child Language minority Language minority Language minority Language minority Language majority Language minority Language ...
by David Professor Robertson
Majority vote has a hallowed, if theoretically insecure, position in democratic belief, resting on the argument that a decision accorded to by more people than oppose it is politically legitimate. In practice there are very few fully-fledged majority ...
A Reference for the Education of Children, Adolescents, and Adults with Disabilities and Other Exceptional Individuals by Cecil R. Reynolds, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen
CHD; low-set malformed ears; joint contractures; majority die in infancy LBW; MR (S); CHD; apnea; seizures; bilateral cleft lip and/or palette; failure to thrive; majority die ...
1974-1982 by Nicholas Rombes
Majority. A Houston, Texas–area punk band whose original lineup consisted of Scott Telles, Chris Armeniades, John Svatek, and Billy Mandel, and then later Henry Weissborn and Wayne Collins, and then again later Caroline Caustic and ...
by John Powers, David Templeman
Han Chinese, the dominant majority ethnic group of China and among overseas Chinese. The Han constitute about 92 percent of the population of the People's Republic Of China (PRC), 98 percent of the population of the Republic of China ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Majority
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Majority
Click on an item to view that photo:
Feminist Majority Protestors
Photo credit: World Can't Wait
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Majority
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of Hadith: Women Are Majority in Hellfire
Shaykh Saalim at-Taweel Imam and Khateeb under the Ministry of Islamic Affairs in Kuwait. Graduated from Imam Muhammad bin Sa'ud Islamic University in ...
- Majority Meaning
Video shows what majority means.
- EU Double Majority - a definition
A form of qualified majority voting that will take effect in the Council of Ministers from 2014. It will mean that a decision can be made only with the support of at ...
- Majority owner Meaning
Video shows what majority owner means. A person or group of people who controls or owns more than half interest of an organization's outstanding shares.
- Vocabulary Word of the Day 001 - Majority
- Majority Learners Acquiring a Minority Language in a Bilngual Community : Perils and Possibilities
Children who learn a language in a linguistic minority context often have limited opportunities to use it outside the home and school. This is the case for English ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Majority!
Quotes about Majority
Scrabble value of M3A1J8O1R1I1T1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 20 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Majority to see it in context!