On this page:
- Definition of the verb make out
- Phrases with Make Out
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Make Out
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Make Out
- Usage statistics about make out
- Photos about Make Out
- Video language resources about Make Out
- Quotes about Make Out
- Anagrams of MAKE OUT
- Share this page
Definition of the verb make out
What does make out mean as a doing phrase?
- detect with the senses
- example: I can't make out the faces in this photograph
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] I saw the play | The crew spotted the island
Verbs of Perception (with the same syntax): descry, discover, espy, examine, experience, eye, glimpse, inspect, investigate, note, observe, overhear, perceive, peruse, recognize, regard, savor, scan, scent, scrutinize, sight, sniff, spot, spy, study, survey, view, watch, witness.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of make out: discern / distinguish / pick out / recognise / recognize / spot / tell apart
- more specific words:
- entailment: comprehend / perceive = to become aware of through the senses
- make out and issue
- proceed or get along
- succeed in doing, achieving, or producing (something) with the limited or inadequate means available
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of make out: contend / cope / deal / get by / grapple / make do / manage
- more generic words: act / move = perform an action, or work out or perform
- more specific terms:
- have sexual intercourse with
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of make out: bang / be intimate / bed / bonk / do it / eff / fuck / get it on / get laid / have a go at it / have intercourse / have it away / have it off / have sex / hump / jazz / know / lie with / love / make love / roll in the hay / screw / sleep together / sleep with
- more generic words: copulate / couple / mate / pair = engage in sexual intercourse
- more specific words:
- kiss, embrace, or fondle with sexual passion
- write all the required information onto a form
- imply or suggest
- try to establish
Alternative definition of the verb make out
- [transitive] To draw up (a document etc.), to designate (a cheque) [term, to] a given recipient, payee. [definition from 15th c.]
- [obsolete, transitive] To send out. [definition 16th-17th c.]
- [transitive] To discern; to manage to see, hear etc. [definition from 16th c.]
- [context: now chiefly US, regional, intransitive] To manage, get along; to do (well, badly etc.). [definition from 17th c.]
- [transitive] To represent; to make (something) appear to be true. [definition from 17th c.]
- [intransitive] To succeed in seducing; to have sex [term, with]. [definition from 20th c.]
- [context: slang, chiefly US, intransitive] To kiss passionately. [definition from 20th c.]
Make Out is a New York City-based band consisting of Jesper Mortensen, lead vocalist Leah Hennessey, and drummer Chase Stauffer. The group plays fast, manic, condensed pop songs. In late 2010, the band recorded their debut EP, How To, with producer Nicolas Vernhes at his Rare Book Room studios in Brooklyn, NY.
- albums: "How To", "Maybe I'm the One (For Me)"
- official website: www.makeoutwiththeinternet.com
- read more about The Rosebuds Make Out
Phrases with Make Out
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Make Out
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Martin Manser
make out 1 (transitive, adverb) manage to see, read or distinguish something; usually used with can: It got darker and darker until we ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
To Make out the rest.
bring in, capture, collect, develop, discern, make out, prepare, procure, provoke , realize, receive, succeed, suss out, win over, work out 08 cometobe,contract, convince, find a way, get ready, hunt down, irritate, organize, persuade, purchase , ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Make Out
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about make out
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb make out:
Photos about Make Out
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about To Make Out.
Video language resources about Make Out
Click on an item to play that video:
- English Vocabulary and Phrases, Make out
- Make out Meaning
Video shows what make out means. To draw up (a document etc.), to designate (a cheque) a given recipient, payee.. To send out.. To discern; to manage to see, ...
- Make Out Vs Hook Up - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- English Phrasal Verb Course: Make Out #3 | by Real English Conversations
Phrasal Verb Lesson 40: Make Out #3 The English phrasal verb make out can also mean to understand or to hear. This phrasal verb has 3 meanings, this is only ...
View more videos about Make Out Like a Bandit.
See also the pronunciation examples of Make Out!
Quotes about Make Out
Forget all the bars and schmoozing and everybody checking out everybody else. My ideal date would be to park in a dark place, check out the stars, and have a great conversation. When all else fails, you can just make out. (Brooke Burke)
Anagrams of MAKE OUT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Make Out!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Make Out to see it in context!