Mandela appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Now on a bad day, a minima idiot revealed 'Nam: no slender brewer bred Nelson Mandela ever to Idi Amin," I may add, aba now on.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mandela
- Phrases with Mandela
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mandela
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mandela
- Photos about Mandela
- Video language resources about Mandela
- Sign language
- Quotes about Mandela
- Scrabble value of M3A1N1D2E1L1A1
- Anagrams of MANDELA
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mandela
What does mandela mean as a name of something?
- South African statesman who was released from prison to become the nation's first democratically elected president in 1994 (born in 1918)
- examples: Mandela was a leader of the liberation front. | Millions of people across the world are mourning the death of Nelson Mandela. | Nelson Mandela was one of those rare people who manage to win universal acclaim throughout the world. | The dumb masses believe that Mandela was a decent man.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of Mandela: Nelson Mandela / Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
- instance of: nationalist leader = the leader of a nationalist movement; national leader / solon / statesman = a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs
Who is Mandela?
Mandela a.k.a. Nelson Mandela: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, politician and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was South Africa's first black chief executive, and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid through tackling institutionalised racism, poverty and inequality, and fostering racial reconciliation. Politically an African nationalist and democratic socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress from 1991 to 1997. Internationally, Mandela was Secretary General of the Non-Aligned Movement from 1998 to 1999.
- read more about Nelson Mandela
- "Mandela" is an autobiography written by Nelson Mandela.
- also known as "Mandela: An Illustrated Autobiography", Nelson Mandela: An Illustrated Biography
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Mandela" is a book by Alf Kumalo.
- also known as "Mandela: echoes of an era"
- "Mandela" is a 1987 HBO television film directed by Philip Saville. The film stars Danny Glover as Nelson Mandela and Alfre Woodard as his wife Winnie.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Dickie Bamber
- executive producers: Robert Berger & Herbert Brodkin
- production design by Mike Porter
- art direction by Mark Ward
- written by Ronald Harwood
- Danny Glover as Nelson Mandela
- Tam Mpofu as Young Man
- Priscilla Mundawarara as Angry Mother
- Mike Davey as Police Officer
- Peter Joyce as Police Sergeant
- Mbuso Pityana as African Policeman
- Dudley Dickin as Minister
- Andy Nimmo as 1st Civil Servant
- Bryan MacKenzie as 2nd Civil Servant
- Julian Glover as Senior Police Officer
- Niel Nativel as Sergeant Van Niekerk
- Doug Wilson as Sergeant Naude
- Hans Woolfe as Sergeant Louw
- Warren Clarke as Swanepoel
- Alfre Woodard as Winnie Mandela
- casting by Marilyn Johnson
- cinematography by John Coquillon
- edited by Ralph Sheldon
- music by Richard Hartley
- costume design by Michael Robbie
- genres: Biographical film, Drama
- released on (28 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Peabody Award, received by HBO
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie nomination for Danny Glover
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series nomination for Danny Glover
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series nomination for Alfre Woodard
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Drama Series
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series, received by Alfre Woodard
- CableAce Award for Actor in a Movie or Miniseries, received by Danny Glover
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series, received by Danny Glover
- "Mandela" is a 1996 documentary film directed by Angus Gibson and Jo Menell. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
- countries: United States of America, South Africa
- language: English Language
- directors: Jo Menell & Angus Gibson
- producers: Edward Saxon, Jonathan Demme, Jo Menell
- executive producers: Chris Blackwell & Dan Genetti
- written by Bo Widerberg
- cinematography by Dewald Aukema & Peter Tischhauser
- edited by Andy Keir
- music by Hugh Masekela, Cédric Gradus Samson
- genres: Documentary film, Political cinema, World cinema, Historical fiction, Biographical film
- released on (19 years ago)
- award: - Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature nomination for Jo Menell & Angus Gibson
- "Mandela" is a 2013 documentary drama film directed by Kemal Akhtar and Kweku Mandela.
- "Mandela" is a musical album by Akustix.
- released on
- award: - Juno Award for Reggae Recording of the Year nomination for Akustix
- "Mandela" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Abdullah Ibrahim
- "Mandela" is a composition.
- music by Frederik
- "Mandela" is a composition.
- music by Armando Peraza
Phrases with Mandela
- Hippia Mandela
- nelson mandela
- Pieris Mandela
- Itaballia Mandela
- Singafrotypa mandela
- nelson rolihlahla mandela
- Species Itaballia Mandela
- species Singafrotypa mandela
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mandela
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Reflections on the Legacy of the Rivonia Trial by Awol Allo
For others, Mandela is the ANC icon, a radical revolutionary, and a military strategist 'who established Umkhonto we Sizwe';
Introduction to Leadership (2008)
Concepts and Practice by Peter G Northouse
An example of a leader with strong character is Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela (Chapter 2, Recognizing Your Traits). Mandela is a deeply moral man with a strong conscience. When fighting to abolish apartheid in South Africa, ...
Emotion, Eulogy, & Memories (2010)
by Wisly Pericles
Mandela is a hero Politics God the first great ...
Sociology of Globalization (2012)
Cultures, Economies, and Politics by Keri E. Iyall Smith
Nelson Mandela is a global celebrity, and celebrity itself is largely a product of new communications technology. The reach of media technologies is growing with each wave of innovation. It took forty years for radio in the United States to gain ...
by Ronnie Hammond
The road from Jan van Riebeeck to Nelson Mandela is a long and torturous one. It is a road drenched with the sweat, tears and blood of the descendants of those very first burghers who were released from the V.O.C. employment, and who set ...
by Hans Finzel
Nelson Mandela is a political visionary who changed the face of South Africa. Vision for the future is the goal—the prize—the motivation that the leader keeps in front of the people. For Moses, the vision was to reach the Promised Land, and ...
The Madiba Mindset (2011)
Your Own Freedom Charter by Tyrrel Fairhead
Mandela is a prime, although not the only, role model of this core element. A potentially dangerous trap is to imprison a vibrant mind in an unfit body. This can easily lead to imbalances and a lack of congruence. A lazy body will use its own ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
Nelson Mandela Mandela wanted equal rights for South Africa's black people. Although blacks made up most of the...
by David Seddon
Repeated attempts were made to constrain the legal challenges posed by Mandela and Tembo. However, a petition by the Transvaal Law Society to strike Mandela off the roll of attorneys wasrefusedby theSupreme Court,which found that ...
by Robert Anthony Waters Jr.
de Klerk that it would be safe to release Mandela, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mandela
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mandela
Click on an item to view that photo:
Street in Camden
Photo credit: Daviddje
Mandela bust located in the Southbank area.
Photo credit: mrgarethm
Photo credit: Al Pavangkanan
Photo credit: optikfluffel
Seen near Brick Lane, London.
Photo credit: garryknight
- Mandela Family Museum
Photo credit: Ismail Farouk
View more pictures about Nelson Mandela.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Mandela
Click on an item to play that video:
- President: Mandela taught true meaning of forgiveness
President Pranab Mukherjee paid India's tribute to South African anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela on Tuesday. Dr. Mukherjee has joined the heads of ...
- Raymond Suttner on: Mandela on trial -- Its meaning for us today
When Mandela was captured in 1962 the police did not know that he had been overseas for military training and that he was Commander in Chief of the recently ...
- The Spiritual Meaning of Mandela's Altar to Africa
See also the pronunciation examples of Mandela!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Nelson Mandela sign language interpreter "a complete fraud" - Truthloader
The sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial service has been accused of being a fake, who merely flapped his arms around during speeches.
- Mandela memorial sign language interpreter fights back
After charges that he is a fake, the Mandela memorial deaf interpreter speaks out and tells CNN he has schizophrenia.
- Fake Sign Language Interpreter Not Even Close At Mandela Funeral
"There's outrage among many in the deaf community over the appearance on stage Tuesday of a man who they say was only pretending to do sign language ...
- Fake Sign Language Interpreter for Mandela Service | DAILY REHASH | Ora TV
Alleged Sign Language Interpreter Thamsanqa Jantjie was front and (almost) center at the Nelson Mandela Memorial Service in South Africa, signing FAKE sign ...
- 'Fake' Sign Language Interpreter at Nelson Mandela Memorial
The sign language interpreter used at Tuesday's memorial service for Nelson Mandela, and whose image was broadcast around the world as he shared a stage ...
Quotes about Mandela
Scrabble value of M3A1N1D2E1L1A1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MANDELA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Mandela!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mandela to see it in context!