The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun manus:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun manus
- Phrases with Manus
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Manus
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Manus
- Photos about Manus
- Video language resources about Manus
- Scrabble value of M3A1N1U1S1
- Anagrams of MANUS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun manus
What does manus mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: manuses
- the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of manus: hand / mitt / paw
- more generic word: extremity = that part of a limb that is farthest from the torso
- more specific terms:
- part of: homo / human / human being / man = any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage; arm = a human limb
- arteria digitalis / digital arteries = arteries in the hand and foot that supply the fingers and toes
- arteria metacarpea / metacarpal artery = dorsal and palmar arteries of the hand
- intercapitular vein / vena intercapitalis = veins connecting the dorsal and palmar veins of the hand or the dorsal and plantar veins of the foot
- metacarpal vein / vena metacarpus = dorsal and palmar veins of the hand
- thenar / palm = the inner surface of the hand from the wrist to the base of the fingers
- finger = any of the terminal members of the hand
- ball = a more or less rounded anatomical body or mass
- metacarpus = the part of the hand between the carpus and phalanges
Alternative definition of the noun manus
- [obsolete] A hand, as the part of the fore limb below the forearm in a man, or the corresponding part in other vertebrates.
- [obsolete, Roman law] The power over other people, especially that of a man over his wife.
Manus is a fictional character from the 1981 film Agony.
- The manus is the zoological term for the distal portion of the fore limb of an animal. In tetrapods, it is the part of the pentadactyl limb that includes the metacarpals and digits. During evolution, it has taken many forms and served a variety of functions. It can be represented by the hand of primates, the lower front limb of hoofed animals or the fore paw and is represented in the wing of birds, bats and prehistoric flying reptiles, the flipper of marine mammals and the 'paddle' of extinct marine reptiles, such as plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
- Manus a.k.a. Lele Language: Lele is an East Manus language of the Austronesian language family spoken in the northeastern part of Manus Island, New Guinea. It has an SVO word order.
- read more about Lele Language
- Manus a.k.a. Titan Language: Titan, also known as Manus, is an East Manus language of the Austronesian language family spoken in the southeastern part of Manus Island, New Guinea, and neighboring islands by about 4,000 people.
- read more about Titan Language
Phrases with Manus
Phrases starting with the word Manus:
Phrases ending with the word Manus:
- Genus Manus
- Lebbeus Manus
- Spongia Manus
- Axinella Manus
- Pauropus Manus
- Alcyonium Manus
- Mylodiscus manus
- Pachliopta Manus
- Polymastia Manus
- Scutacarus Manus
- Eustigmaeus Manus
- Potamothrix Manus
- Psilopsocus Manus
- Callyspongia Manus
- Desmopachria manus
- Pachychalina Manus
View more phrases with the word Manus in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Manus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
ICORR '2001, 7th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics by Mounir Mokhtari
Introduction MANUS is a wheelchair mounted robotic arm designed to compensate for a severe limitation of the arm/hand function of persons depending on an electrical wheelchair. Although developed into a commercially available product ...
by Cram101 Textbook Reviews
Manus The manus is the zoological term for the distal portion of the fore limb of an animal. In tetrapods, it isthepartof the pentadactyl limb that includes the metacarpals and digits (phalanges). During evolution, it hastakenmany formsandserved ...
Seeking Bauls of Bengal (2002)
by Jeanne Openshaw
However, there are also echoes of the more general denotation, in the sense that manus is a concept destructive of the hierarchies of both householder and renouncer realms, or for that matter discrimination of any kind. This position of ...
by Turner Publishing
Manus is an elliptical shaped island approximately 50 miles long and 20 miles wide with an axial mountain range running its entire length. The central and western sections are heavily forested, mostly unexplored, and sparsely inhabited.
A World of Baby Names (2003)
by Teresa Norman
Manus is the Gaelic form. (MAG-NUS) MALCOLM Derived from the Gaelic Maolcolm (servant of St. Columba), a compound name composed of the elements maol (servant, votary) and Colm (Columba). St. Columba (521-97) was an Irish ...
Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge : Illustrated with Upwards of 150 Elegant Engravings. A - B by William Nicholson
extensor communis digitorum manus; 6. extensor pro- prius auricularis ; 7. abductor longus pollicis manus ; 8. extensor major pollicis manus ; 9.
The British Encyclopedia, Or Dictionary of Arts and Sciences Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge (1809)
extensor communis digitomm manus; 6. extensor pro- prins anricularis ; 7. abductor longus pollicis manus; 8. extensor major pollicis manus; ...
by Walter W. Skeat, Walter William Skeat
L manus. Dor. manage, verb, manege, control of horses. (F. — Ital. — L.) The same word as the above. manifest, apparent. (F.-L.) V.tnani fettt. — L. manifestos, evident. The lit. sense is ' struck by the hand,' hence palpable. — L. mani-, for ...
An Introduction to Austronesian Studies by Darrell T. Tryon
Manus Province, southwest Rambutyo Island. 1 village only. Pop. 250. LESING see ATUI .
Body Parts, Sicknesses, Instruments, and Medicinal Preparations by Juhani Norri
manus Christi. Forms: manus Christi.
Includes Hundreds of Guitar Chords and Chord Progressions in All Styles in All Twelve Keys by Howard Wallach
縁 Hereare some other chord and rhythm guitarbooks from Alfred: Alfred's Basic Guitar Chords Manus Basix ー Guitar Chord Dictionary Hal/ Manus Chord and Scale Finder Fisher Chord Connections Brown Guitar Chord ...
The Celtic Encyclopedia (1998)
by Harry Mountain
the Fianna Ailbhinn / Fergus Finnbheoil / Goll mac Morna / Muileartach Manus arrived by ship on the shores of Ireland at ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Manus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Manus
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Manus
Click on an item to play that video:
- Manus Meaning
Video shows what manus means. A hand, as the part of the fore limb below the forearm in a man, or the corresponding part in other vertebrates.. The power over ...
- Srimad-Bhagavatam 08.13 - Description of Future Manus
- Scratch Band Bd Cover by Sohaj Manus World Language Day Live concert in Kolkata Asansol India
Lion's club & Moitri present World Language Day Live concert in Kolkata Asansol India Scratch cover by Lalon Song Sohaj Manus.
- Homeland - Courtney Manus - The Language of Immigration
- Srimad Bhagavatam 08 13 Description of Future Manus 360p
View more videos about Manus Island.
Scrabble value of M3A1N1U1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MANUS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Manus!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Manus to see it in context!