Master appears in the following tongue twister:
- John, where Peter had had "had had", had had "had";
"had had" had had his master's approval.
Master appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Suit no regrets. A motto, Master Gerontius.
- "Suit no regrets." A motto, Master Gerontius.
- "Won’t I taste genocide, master?" frets a medic, "one gets at it now."
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun master:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb master:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun master
- Definition of the adjective master
- Definition of the verb master
- Phrases with Master
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Master
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Master
- Photos about Master
- Video language resources about Master
- Sign language
- Quotes about Master
- Scrabble value of M3A1S1T1E1R1
- Anagrams of MASTER
- Share this page
The word master is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun master
What does master mean as a name of something?
Master is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural:
- master: masters
- Master: Masters
- an artist of consummate skill
- examples: a master of the violin | one of the old masters
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of master: maestro
- more generic terms: artist / creative person = a person whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination
- more specific term: old master = a great European painter prior to 19th century
- a person who has general authority over others
- a combatant who is able to defeat rivals
- directs the work of others
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic word: employer = a person or firm that employs workers
- more specific terms:
- presiding officer of a school
- an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made
- an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of master: captain / sea captain / skipper
- more generic terms: officer / ship's officer = a person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel
- instance: Captain Kidd / William Kidd / Kidd = Scottish sea captain who was hired to protect British shipping in the Indian Ocean and then was accused of piracy and hanged
- someone who holds a master's degree from academic institution
- an authority qualified to teach apprentices
- key that secures entrance everywhere
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of master: master key / passe-partout / passkey
- more generic word: key = metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated
- more specific term: skeleton key = a passkey with much of the bit filed away so that it can open different locks
Alternative definition of the noun master
- Someone who has control over something or someone.
- Owner of an animal or slave.
- [nautical] The captain of a merchant ship; a master mariner.
- Someone who employs others.
- An expert at something.
- A tradesman who is qualified to teach apprentices.
- A skilled artist.
- [dated] A courtesy title of a man or a boy; mister. See Master.
- A master's degree; a type of postgraduate degree, usually undertaken after a bachelor degree.
- A person holding such a degree.
- The original of a document or of a recording.
- [film] The primary wide shot of a scene, into which the closeups will be edited later.
- [context: legal] A parajudicial officer (such as a referee, an auditor, an examiner, or an assessor) specially appointed to help a court with its proceedings.
- Prefix to a boy's name.
- A religious teacher, often as an honorific title.
- A master's degree.
- A person holding a master's degree, as a title.
- The owner of a slave, in some literature.
Specialised definition of the noun master
Glossary of electronics
a mainframe that has control of other mainframes (slaves) in a serial chain
- note: A master/slave combination has one bus address and appears as one mainframe with increased capacity.
- synonym: master mainframe
Definition of the adjective master
What does master mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more master / most master
- most important element
Alternative definition of the adjective master
Definition of the verb master
What does master mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: mastered | mastering | masters
- be or become completely proficient or skilled in
- example: She mastered Japanese in less than two years
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of master: get the hang
- more generic word: know = know how to do or perform something
- entailments: acquire / larn / learn = gain knowledge or skills; drill / exercise / practice / practise = learn by repetition
- get on top of; deal with successfully
- lexical domain: Competition - verbs of fighting, athletic activities
- synonyms of master: get over / overcome / subdue / surmount
- more generic terms: beat / beat out / crush / shell / trounce / vanquish = come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- more specific word: bulldog = throw a steer by seizing the horns and twisting the neck, as in a rodeo
- have dominance or the power to defeat over
- examples: Her pain completely mastered her | The methods can master the problems
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonym of master: dominate
- more generic words: command / control = exercise authoritative control or power over
- more specific words:
- have a firm understanding or knowledge of; be on top of
Specialised definition of the verb master
Glossary of sports
to become highly competent in a skill or acquire a complete understanding of some process (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Master is a thrash metal band from Russia, founded in 1987 by former members of Aria.
- also known as МАСТЕР
- genres: Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Speed metal
- albums: "Master", "С петлёй на шее", "Maniac Party", "Talk of the Devil", "The Best. Концерт в Москве 1997", "33 жизни", "Акустика", "Классика 1987-2002", "Лабиринт", "Live", "Песни мертвых"
- official website: master-rockgroup.com
- Master is a death metal band formed in Chicago, USA in 1983 as the band Warcry fell apart. However, the band was put on hold due to internal problems shortly after its inception. Paul Speckmann then formed the band Death Strike, which in 1985 he renamed to Master.
- also known as Death Strike
- genres: Heavy metal, Death metal
- albums: "Master", "On the Seventh Day God Created... Master", "Collection of Souls", "Faith Is in Season", "Let's Start a War", "Pieces", "The Spirit of the West", "Four More Years of Terror", "Slaves to Society", "Unreleased 1985 Album", "Follow Your Savior", "The Human Machine", "The New Elite", "The Witchhunt", "Fuckin' Death"
- official website: www.master-speckmetal.net
There are other groups with in their name, like Def.Master, Fun Master, War Master, Page Master, Dream Master, Great Master, Master C & J, Metal Master, Nh2 Master D, Space Master, Master Program, Nh2 Master D, nh2 + master d, skail master m, Los Master Plus, Master's Hammer, The Master Plan, Bunny Master DJs, Master's Lantern and The Master's Men.
- Master a.k.a. Craig Taubman: Craig Reid Taubman is an American singer/songwriter and music producer based in Los Angeles, California. Through his independent label/production office, Craig 'N Company, he has produced 11 albums. He is also the executive producer of the Celebrate Series, 12 Jewish-themed compilation albums with titles like Celebrate Hip Hop and Celebrate Passover.
- read more about Craig Taubman
- Master a.k.a. Bojan Adamič a.k.a. Master, Slovene Partisans nom de guerre Gregor, was a well-known Slovene composer of jazz, the Slovenian song festival music, and particularly film scores. He was also an avid photographer, interested particularly in carnival figures from Ptuj.
- read more about Bojan Adamič (actor)
- "Master": Мастер is the first studio album by Russian thrash metal band Master. This album has sold over one million copies.
- genre: Thrash metal
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Master" a.k.a. "Yeah Yeah Yeahs": Yeah Yeah Yeahs is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' self-titled debut EP, released in 2001 by the band's own label, Shifty. It is sometimes incorrectly called Master due to the prominence of a necklace bearing that word on the album's cover. It reached #1 on the UK Indie Chart.
- read more about Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- "Master" is a musical album of Drums Are for Parades.
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Master" is a musical album of Master.
- released in (25 years ago)
- "Master" is a musical single of Interlace.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Master" is a musical album of Teeth of the Sea.
- released on
- "Master" is a musical album of The Tremeloes.
- released in (45 years ago)
"Master" is a 1997 Telugu film directed by Suresh Krishna and produced by Allu Aravind. Mega Star Chiranjeevi played the lead role as Sakshi Sivanand, Puneet Issar, and Sathya Prakash played other roles. Music was composed by Deva while cinematography was handled by Chota K. Naidu. This is first recording dts sound system film in Telugu cinima industry.
- country: India
- language: Telugu language
- director: Suresh Krissna
- producer: Allu Aravind
- written by Suresh Krissna & Krishna Murali Posaani
- based on a story by Bhupati Raja
- cinematography by Chota K. Naidu
- music by Deva
- genres: Action Film, Family, Drama, World cinema, Tollywood
- released on (18 years ago)
- award: - Nandi Award for Best Screenplay Writer, received by Bhupati Raja
- The Master is a fictional character on the action-horror/fantasy television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He is a centuries-old vampire portrayed by Mark Metcalf, determined to open the portal to hell below Sunnydale High School in the fictional town of Sunnydale where the main character Buffy Summers lives. The premise of the series is that Buffy is a Slayer, a teenage girl endowed with superhuman strength and other powers which she uses to kill vampires and other evil beings. Each season of the series Buffy and the small group of family and friends who work with her, nicknamed the Scooby Gang, must defeat an evil force referred to as the Big Bad; the villain is usually trying to bring on an apocalypse. The Master is the first season's Big Bad.
- occupation: Villain
- created by Joss Whedon
- The Master is the prime antagonist and final boss in the original Fallout post-apocalyptic role-playing video game. He was also supposed to be the villain of the Interplay Films' cancelled Fallout film treatment.
- Master a.k.a. The Master: Master is a fictional character from the novel The Master and Margarita by the Russian writer Mikhail Bulgakov.
- read more about The Master
- Master is a fictional character from the 2011 film Dragon.
- Master is a fictional film character.
- Master is a fictional character from the 2009 film McDull, Kung Fu Kindergarten.
- Master a.k.a. Shishou is a fictional character from 2003 anime series Kino's Journey.
- read more about Shishou
- Master is a fictional character from the anime series Witch Hunter Robin.
- also known as Yuji Kobari
- Master a.k.a. Masterji is a fictional character from the 2010 film Dabangg.
- read more about Masterji
- Master is a fictional character from the 2011 film Abu, Son of Adam.
- Master is a fictional character from the film The Women From The Sea.
- Master is a fictional character from the TV Program Kisarazu Cat's Eye.
- also known as 岡林 シンゴ
- Master is a film character from the 1997 film Noiseman Sound Insect.
- Master is a fictional character in the 1978 film Krabat – The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1999 anime TV series Trouble Chocolate.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1975 film Mere Sajna.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1971 film Gambler.
- Master is a fictional film character.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1951 film Tom Brown's Schooldays.
- Master is a fictional character from 1987 Japanese anime TV series Kimagure Orange Road.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1995 film Memories.
- Master is a fictional character from the book Numbering all the bones.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1975 film Ponga Pandit.
- Master is a fictional character from the 2011 film Zokkomon.
- Master is a fictional character from the 2011 film Silver Case.
- Master is a fictional character from Johar-Mehmood in Goa.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1975 film Samna.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1975 film Salaakhen.
- Master is fictional character from the 2013 film I Don't Wanna Die.
- Master is a fictional character from the 1956 film C.I.D.
There are other characters with in their name, like Master M, Master's, Master Lee, Master Lei, Master Man, Master Nam, Master Sun, Master Tei, Old Master, Band Master, Game Master, Hard Master, Head Master, Head-Master, Master Chef, Master Khan, Master Mold, Master Yupa, Prop Master.
- The master, or sailing master, was a historic term for a naval officer trained in and responsible for the navigation of a sailing vessel. The rank can be equated to a professional seaman and specialist in navigation, rather than as a military commander.
- Master is an English honorific for boys and young men.
- Master: A Master is judicial officer found in the courts of England and in numerous other jurisdictions based on the common law tradition. A master's jurisdiction is generally confined to civil proceedings and is a subset of that of a judge. Masters are typically involved in hearing motions, case management, dispute resolution or adjudication of specific issues referred by judges. Their functions would otherwise fall to the judges of the court.
- Master is a Big Finish Productions audio drama based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. It forms a trilogy with Omega and Davros to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the show. It features the Seventh Doctor as its main character.
- Master: The heir apparent or heir presumptive to a Scottish peerage is known as a Master, or Mistress if the heir is female.
- Master is a job title.
Phrases with Master
Phrases starting with the word Master:
Phrases ending with the word Master:
- old master
- Game Master
- Jedi Master
- past master
- chess master
- dance master
- drill master
- Grand Master
- House Master
View more phrases with the word Master in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Master
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Idea and Resource Book by T. T. Crabtree
The Bible identifies Nicodemus as “a master of Israel” (John 3:10). Some call Nicodemus a rabbi; others call him a theological professor. The word master means a teacher.
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
MSN MIRT: Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy MIS: management information system MIS: medical information system MISM: master of information systems management ML: management latitude MLF: maximum foreseeable ...
Including ... I. An Explanation of Difficult Words and Technical Terms ... II. A Pronouncing Dictionary ... : to the Whole is Added a Chronological Series of Remarkable Events ... by James Barclay (Curate of Edmonton.)
Jo N Es, Master of the Free School, ...
Dickens Dictionary (2004)
by Rodney Dale
Master. Humphrey's. Clock. Dickens started a miscellany under this title in April 1840, which was to be issued in weekly numbers, at three pence each, and which was to consist of short, detached papers, with occasional continuous stories.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Master
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Master
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: PetroleumJelliffe
Model : Master
Photo credit: Wineblat Eugene - Portraits
Photo credit: shioshvili
Photo credit: humbert15
Pours whisky for three young customers.
Photo credit: Joshua Rappeneker
Photo credit: chefranden
Looking at weathered metal
Photo credit: krow10
- TV Master
Photo credit: Radoslav Minchev
- Master's paw
Photo credit: akk_rus
- Master shortie
OMG they're rappers!
Photo credit: xJason.Rogersx
- Master bath
Photo credit: elisaself
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Master
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Meaning of Repeating Master Numbers
Contents: 11-99 and what messages they may be sending... Hop on over to the website to get more details for each number: ...
- Master Vocabulary
Easy way to study vocabulary Website...
- Three Cheers for Master - Gameplay explanation - Atlas Games
Showing the basic gameplay for the game "Three Cheers for Master" by Atlas Games. Rules here...
- 3d Printed Tiger 1 Tank - Cooler Master World Series - Explanation
Tiger Tank Computer Case - Demo Video...
- 1) Login, Product Master, Definition Creation - RetailCore Software
RetailCore Software does easy POS, Billing, Inventory Management (single / multiple location), Barcode label. Successfully used by Retailer and Distributors.
- CATIA 3D Master for Model Based Definition
- Learn Tricking: Rotations (Basic, Novice & Master) | Tricks Terminology Tutorials
To learn how to do tricks with basic, novice & master level rotations, watch the Hyper Trick School Martial Arts Tricking Training DVDs by Dan Perez: ...
- Master Dr Kader Ibrahim about Definition of Life
- Juliani - Master Piece (Lyrics Explanation)
- Master Nan Lu on the meaning of birthdays
Master Nan Lu discusses the meaning of birthdays during a special celebration for a Qigong class at Tao of Healing in New York City...
- Numerology 4 Master Numbers Meaning - Your Lucky Numbers Revealed
- BPS Language Master
This is an English Quiz conducted by Birla Public School.
- Michel Thomas - The Language Master
Michel Thomas spends 5 days with students who have previously failed to learn languages and, in the words of their teacher, they learn as much from Michel in ...
- Mind your language with Willis the word master
Mind your language with Willis the word master Watch KTN Live...
- Mind Your Language with Willis Ochieng "The Word Master" 30/10/2015
Mind Your Language with Willis Ochieng "The Word Master" 30/10/2015 Watch KTN Live...
See also the pronunciation examples of Master!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Master
Does killing make you satisfied?
Does killing make you happy?
If one dies why do you have to make more die?
Why do you not answer me?
War Master (Devin Weseen)
more quotes about master...
Scrabble value of M3A1S1T1E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MASTER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Master!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Master to see it in context!