On this page:
- Definition of the noun materia medica
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Materia medica
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Materia medica
- Photos about Materia medica
- Video language resources about Materia medica
- Quotes about Materia medica
- Share this page
Definition of the noun materia medica
What does materia medica mean as a name of something?
- the science or study of drugs: their preparation and properties and uses and effects
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of materia medica: pharmacological medicine / pharmacology
- more generic terms: medical specialty / medicine = the branches of medical science that deal with nonsurgical techniques
- more specific words:
- pharmacokinetics = the study of the action of drugs in the body: method and rate of excretion; duration of effect
- posology = the pharmacological determination of appropriate doses of drugs and medicines
- psychopharmacology = the study of drugs that affect the mind
- toxicology = the branch of pharmacology that deals with the nature and effects and treatments of poisons
Alternative definition of the noun materia medica
- [medicine] the study of the origin, preparation, dosage and administration of medical drugs; the substances so used
"Materia medica" is a book written by Carl Linnaeus.
- released in (266 years ago)
Materia medica is a Latin medical term for the body of collected knowledge about the therapeutic properties of any substance used for healing. The term derives from the title of a work by the Ancient Greek physician Pedanius Dioscorides in the 1st century AD, De materia medica, 'On Medical Material'. The term materia medica was used from the period of the Roman Empire until the 20th century, but has now been generally replaced in medical education contexts by the term pharmacology.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Materia medica
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by T. F. Allen
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA PURE MATERIA MEDICA T. F. ALLEN THE ENCYCLOPEDIA PURE MATERIA MEDICA. A RECORD OF TIIK POSITIVE.
Medical Dictionary (1813)
Containing an Explanation of the Terms in Surgery, Medicine, Midwifery, Anatomy, Chemistry, &c. &c. &c by John James Watt
- MATERIA MEDICA. Substances employed for ...
by Saligrama Krishna Ramachandra Rao
Indian Materia Medica (K. M. Nadkarni, Popular Prakashan, Bombay, Revised and enlarged, 1976, in 2 vol.) JIM Indian Medicine (Julius Jolly, translated from German into English, Kashlkar, Pune, 1951) KK Kalyana-karaka (Ugraditya, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Materia medica
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Materia medica
Click on an item to view that photo:
Vegetable materia medica
George Sampson Valentine Wills 1878
Photo credit: Feltbug
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Materia medica
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Materia medica
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'materia medica"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Materia medica to find many related words and phrases!