On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun meadow foxtail
What does meadow foxtail mean as a name of something?
- stout erect perennial grass of northern parts of Old World having silky flowering spikes; widely cultivated for pasture and hay; naturalized in North America
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Alopecurus alpinus songaricus / form Alopecurus alpinus songaricus / Alopecurus caudicans / species Alopecurus caudicans / Alopecurus pratensis pratensis / form Alopecurus pratensis pratensis / Alopecurus pratensis obscurus / variety Alopecurus pratensis obscurus / Alopecurus sericeus / species Alopecurus sericeus / Tozzettia pratensis / species Tozzettia pratensis / Tozzettia vulgaris / species Tozzettia vulgaris / Alopecurus pratensis
- more generic terms: foxtail / foxtail grass = grasses of the genera Alopecurus and Setaria having dense silky or bristly brushlike flowering spikes
- member of: Alopecurus / genus Alopecurus = annual or perennial grasses including decorative and meadow species as well as notorious agricultural weeds
- geographic area: North America, South America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Phrases with meadow foxtail
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for meadow foxtail
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Douglas M. Considine
Meadow foxtail. See Foxtail (this list). Merkergrass. See Napiergrass ( this list). Metropolitan bentgrass. See Bentgrass (this list). Midland Bermudagrass .
Hydrologic Data and Internet Resources by Pedro Fierro, Jr., Evan K. Nyer
103Z4 White sweetclover White Dutch clover Yellow sweetclover Meadow foxtail Perennial ryegrass Alsike clover Mountain brome Red clover Strawberry ...
Meadow foxtail(Alopecurus pratensis) Reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinacea) Yorkshire fog (Holcuslanatus) Sweetvernal grass (Anthoxanthumodoratum) ( Deschampsia sp.)a Kentucky bluegrass/smoothstalked meadowgrass (Poa ...
Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge : Illustrated with Upwards of 150 Elegant Engravings. A - B. 1 by William Nicholson
pratensis, meadow foxtail, is a native of most parts of Europe, and is found with us very common in ...
The farmer's dictionary (1854)
a vocabulary of the technical terms recently introduced into agriculture and horticulture from various sciences, and also a compendium of practical farming, the latter chiefly from the works of the Rev. W. L. Rham, Loudon, Low and Youatt, and the most eminent American authors by Daniel Pereira Gardner
" The meadow foxtail grass (Alopc- cutus pratensis, d) is found indigenous and rough meadow grasses are sown in various proportions with.
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
English: meadow foxtail, blackgrass ...
by Rolf H. J. Schlegel
meadow foxtail: Alopecurus pratensis (Gramineae), 2n = 4x = 28; 2C DNA content 13.6 pg bot agr meadow soft grass: >>> common velvet grass medic(s): Annual species constitute the most numerous component of the genus Medicago; they ...
24, Creeping Red Fescue, Brown Top, Meadow Foxtail, Red Clover.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for meadow foxtail
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about meadow foxtail
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Meadow Foxtail
Meadow Foxtail [Alopecurus pratensis]
Photo credit: Andrew Coombes
- Meadow Foxtail Grass
If you were to tap this blossoming grass it would release a small cloud of pollen.
This is an introduced grass at Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve. But it makes a great ground cover and is a much friendlier grass than reed canary grass that covers much of the open areas of the wetlands.
Photo credit: born1945
- Reed Canary Grass and Meadow Foxtail Grass
The small patches of grass still standing are reed canary grass, an invasive species. It loves the open area where it gets flooding in the winter and sun in the summer. However the laid over grasses, meadow foxtail grass, seems to keep it a bay. The meadow foxtail is an introduced species, too, but is less obnoxious than the reed canary.
Photo credit: born1945
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of meadow foxtail to find many related words and phrases!