The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun medication:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun medication
- Phrases with Medication
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Medication
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Medication
- Photos about Medication
- Video language resources about Medication
- Quotes about Medication
- Scrabble value of M3E1D2I1C3A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of MEDICATION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun medication
What does medication mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: medications
- (medicine) something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease
- domain: medical specialty / medicine
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of medication: medicament / medicinal drug / medicine
- more generic word: drug = a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic
- more specific terms:
- painkiller / analgesic / pain pill / anodyne = a medicine used to relieve pain
- angiogenesis inhibitor = a drug that is designed to prevent the growth of blood vessels that nourish tumors
- antiarrhythmic medication / antiarrhythmic drug / antiarrhythmic = a drug used to treat an abnormal heart rhythm
- antibacterial drug / antibacterial / bactericide = any drug that destroys bacteria or inhibits their growth
- anticholinergic drug / anticholinergic = a substance that opposes or blocks the action of acetylcholine
- anticholinesterase = a medicine that inhibits cholinesterase by combining with it and so has a cholinergic effect
- anticoagulant medication / anticoagulant / decoagulant = medicine that prevents or retards the clotting of blood
- anticonvulsant drug / antiepileptic drug / anticonvulsant / antiepileptic = a drug used to treat or prevent convulsions
- antidepressant drug / antidepressant = any of a class of drugs used to treat depression
- antidiabetic drug / antidiabetic = a drug used to treat diabetes mellitus
- antidiarrheal drug / antidiarrheal = a drug used to control or stop diarrhea
- antidiuretic drug / antidiuretic = a drug that limits the formation of urine
- antiemetic drug / antiemetic = a drug that prevents or alleviates nausea and vomiting
- antihistamine = a medicine used to treat allergies and hypersensitive reactions and colds
- antihypertensive drug / antihypertensive = a drug that reduces high blood pressure
- anti-inflammatory drug / anti-inflammatory = a medicine intended to reduce inflammation
- antiprotozoal drug / antiprotozoal = a medicinal drug used to fight diseases (like malaria) that are caused by protozoa
- antipyretic / febrifuge = any medicine that lowers body temperature to prevent or alleviate fever
- antiseptic = a substance that destroys micro-organisms that carry disease without harming body tissues
- antispasmodic agent / antispasmodic / spasmolytic = a drug used to relieve or prevent spasms
- antitussive = any medicine used to suppress or relieve coughing
- antiviral agent / antiviral drug / antiviral = any drug that destroys viruses
- APC = a drug combination found in some over-the-counter headache remedies
- astringent drug / astringent / styptic = a drug that causes contraction of body tissues and canals
- atomic cocktail = an oral dose of radioactive substance used in treatment and diagnosis of cancer
- blocking agent / blocker = a class of drugs that inhibit (block) some biological process
- bronchodilator = a drug that relaxes and dilates the bronchial passageways and improves the passages of air into the lungs
- calcium-channel blocker / calcium blocker = any of a class of drugs that block the flow of the electrolyte calcium
- carminative = medication that prevents the formation of gas in the alimentary tract or eases its passing
- cold medicine = medicine intended to relieve the symptoms of the common cold
- counterirritant = a medicine applied locally to produce superficial inflammation in order to reduce deeper inflammation
- cytotoxic drug = any drug that has a toxic effect on cells
- decongestant = a drug that decreases pulmonary congestion
- demulcent = a medication (in the form of an oil or salve etc.) that soothes inflamed or injured skin
- diaphoretic = used to produce perspiration
- dosage / dose = a measured portion of medicine taken at any one time
- highly active antiretroviral therapy / drug cocktail / HAART = a combination of protease inhibitors taken with reverse transcriptase inhibitors
- expectorator / expectorant = a medicine promoting expectoration
- fixed-combination drug = drug containing fixed amounts of two or more ingredients
- haematinic / hematinic = a medicine that increases the hemoglobin content of the blood
- herbal medicine = a medicine made from plants and used to prevent or treat disease or promote health
- histamine blocker = a medicine used to treat the gastric effects of histamine in cases of peptic ulcers and gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux
- immune suppressant drug / immunosuppressive drug / immunosuppressant / immunosuppressive / immunosuppressor = a drug that lowers the body's normal immune response
- inhalation / inhalant = a medication to be taken by inhaling it
- lipid-lowering medication / lipid-lowering medicine / statin drug / statin = a medicine that lowers blood cholesterol levels by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase
- nux vomica = a medicine made from the seeds of an Asiatic tree; contains strychnine and brucine
- over-the-counter medicine / over-the-counter drug = a drug that is sold without a prescription
- oxytocic drug / oxytocic = a drug that induces labor by stimulating contractions of the muscles of the uterus
- camphorated tincture of opium / paregoric = medicine used to treat diarrhea
- patent medicine = medicine that is protected by a patent and available without a doctor's prescription
- pentamethylenetetrazol / pentylenetetrazol = a drug used as a circulatory and respiratory stimulant
- pharmaceutical / pharmaceutic = drug or medicine that is prepared or dispensed in pharmacies and used in medical treatment
- placebo = an innocuous or inert medication
- powder = any of various cosmetic or medical preparations dispensed in the form of a pulverized powder
- prescription medicine / prescription drug / ethical drug / prescription = a drug that is available only with written instructions from a doctor or dentist to a pharmacist
- probenecid = a uricosuric drug that reduces the level of uric acid in the blood
- cathartic / purgative / aperient / physic = a purging medicine
- therapeutic / curative / remedy / cure = a medicine or therapy that cures disease or relieve pain
- rubefacient = a medicine for external application that produces redness of the skin
- sedative drug / depressant / sedative / downer = a drug that reduces excitability and calms a person
- soothing syrup = medicine in the form of a syrup that has a calming effect
- specific = a medicine that has a mitigating effect on a specific disease
- sudorific / sudatory = a medicine that causes or increases sweating
- suppository = a small plug of medication designed for insertion into the rectum or vagina where it melts
- tincture = a medicine consisting of an extract in an alcohol solution
- restorative / tonic = a medicine that strengthens and invigorates
- tyrosine kinase inhibitor = a drug used in cases of chronic myeloid leukemia
- vermicide = an agent that kills worms
- anthelminthic / anthelmintic / helminthic / vermifuge = a medication capable of causing the evacuation of parasitic intestinal worms
- substance: physostigmine = used in treatment of Alzheimer's disease and glaucoma
- the act of treating with medicines or remedies
Alternative definition of the noun medication
- A medicine, or all the medicines regularly taken by a patient
- The administration of medicine
Medication was a group that included Logan Mader, Whitfield Crane, B. Blunt, Kyle Sanders and Roy Mayorga. They released a self-titled EP and an LP called Prince Valium through Locomotive Music, and filmed a video for the song "Inside". Before the recording of Prince Valium, Roy Mayorga parted ways from the group to rejoin Soulfly for the recording of 3. He was replaced by Chris Hamilton. They played one show in Los Angeles at The Gig on Melrose with Robert Trujillo, now of Metallica, on bass. They disbanded in 2003 due to the cancellation of their European tour and the US branch of their record label closing.
- genres: Nu metal, Hard rock, Heavy metal, Progressive rock, Alternative rock, Alternative metal, Progressive metal, Post-grunge
- albums: "Prince Valium", "Medication"
- "Medication" is a musical single of Spiritualized.
- also known as Medication / Smiles
- released on (23 years ago)
- "Medication" is a musical album of [distatix].
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Medication" is a musical EP of Death in Vegas.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Medication" is a composition.
- "Medication" is a composition.
- "Medication" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Derek Webb
- "Medication" is a musical album of Mal Etre.
- released in
- "Medication" is a musical EP of Medication.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Medication" is a musical EP of Alice Donut.
- released in (23 years ago)
Medication a.k.a. Pharmaceutical drug: A pharmaceutical drug is a drug used in health care. Such drugs aid the diagnosis, cure, treatment, or prevention of disease. Drug therapy is an important part of the medical field and relies on the science of pharmacology for continual advancement and on pharmacy for appropriate management.
- read more about Pharmaceutical drug
Phrases with Medication
- ionic medication
- giving medication
- anticoagulant medication
- antiarrhythmic medication
- lipid-lowering medication
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Medication
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
. . . At Any Age by Donald Vickery, Larry Matson, Carol Vickery
Medication is the usual treatment, but it not enough in at least half of people with increased blood pressure. Losing weight, exercising, eating healthy, and managing stress are often more effective. Blood pressure should be checked often ...
Teacher's Guide to ADHD (2011)
by Robert Reid, Joseph Johnson
For example, medication is a regular cover story in national news magazines and has received prominent coverage by network and public television. Medication has been termed “education's fix-it drug” by social critics (Divoky, 1989) and has ...
by Philip Cowen, Paul Harrison, Tom Burns
Treatment Antipsychotic medication is the mainstay of treatment of late-onset schizophrenia, as in younger patients.
Another reason for cautious use of antipsychotic medication is that the risk of tardive dyskinesia appears to be considerably ...
by The Canadian Paediatric Society, Debra Andrews, William J. Mahoney
Medications. in. Managing. Children. with. School. Problems. Prescribing medication is a familiar role for physicians, and it ...
NCLEX-PN Exam Prep (2014)
by Wilda Rinehart, Diann Sloan, Clara Hurd
Psychotic Disorders One of the major reasons for non-compliance with prescribed antipsychotic medication is the development of extrapyramidal side effects (EPSE). Extrapyramidal side effects include: . Akathisia (subjective feelings of ...
by Richard P. Brown, Patricia L. Gerbarg
When the main problem is hyperactivity, medication is a better option 196 NON-DRUGTREATMENTS fOR ADHD.
by Anthony D. Mosley
Medication Type Common Medications Common Side Effects adrenergic antagonists (alpha and beta blockers) amantadine antianxiety medications anticholinergics antidepressants MAOI-B inhibitors (neuroprotective therapy) muscle ...
by Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN, Meredith Kazer, PhD, APRN, A/GNP-BC
often have profound effects on daily activities and medication adherence, further exacerbating the negative impact on health- related quality ...
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2008)
by Frederick T. Leong
and external mechanisms used to remember to take medication, such as pill boxes or automatic reminder devices. Park has argued for the integration of these areas in a broader model for ...
Volume 20 - Supplement 3 by James Swarbrick, James C. Boylan
Medication Errors Do Occur Medication errors can occur anywhere, any time along the drug therapy course, from prescribing through transcribing, dispensing, administering, and monitoring. An error can cause confusion, alarm, and frustration ...
by Kyriakos S. Markides
Improving medication adherence. NY City Voices. 2001;(January–March ). Available at: www.newyorkcity voices.org/index.html. Accessed September 22, 2006. Leventhal H, Nerenz DR, Steele DJ. Illness perceptions and coping with ...
Mental Health and Mental Disorders: An Encyclopedia of Conditions, Treatments, and Well-Being [3 volumes] (2015)
An Encyclopedia of Conditions, Treatments, and Well-Being by Len Sperry
Haldol is a first-generation antipsychotic medication used in treating schizophrenia, short-term psychosis, mania, and delirium, as well as other medical conditions and disorders. Hypothyroidism is a condition in which an individual's thyroid ...
by Joseph Kandel, Christine A. Adamec
Symptoms/Disorders Medication (Brand Name) Medication ( Generic Name) Blood clots Coumadin Warfarin Cough Depression Diabetes Enlarged prostate Heartburn, indigestion, sour stomach High blood pressure Delsym ...
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
medical history A record of a patient's previous medical conditions, treatment, inoculations, allergies, and *medication. It may be stored in a paper or electronic format. medical record See MEDICAL HISTORY. medical status An assessment of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Medication
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Medication
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: knittymarie
- Pharmacy medication shop market stall Yangon
Photo credit: Insights Unspoken
- Psychiatric Medication
This image is designated creative commons and is free to use. Enjoy!
Photo credit: CappiT
- Discarded Medication
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Medication in the Mail!
Photo credit: knittymarie
- Medication instructions
Photo credit: codepo8
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Medication
Click on an item to play that video:
- Medication Meaning
Video shows what medication means. A medicine, or all the medicines regularly taken by a patient. The administration of medicine. Medication Meaning. How to ...
- Operational definition of medication error for EU reporting requirements
EudraVigilance reporting rules in the context of the EU pharmacovigilance system Session 2: Reporting Speaker: Thomas Goedecke, European Medicines ...
- Racing Term #192 "Medication List" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Dr Nagwa Ibrahim - Medication error Definition
- The Rouge - "Medication" [Track Explanation]
The Rouge give insight into track 3 off their new EP "Blurry" - available everywhere February 12th.
- What Is The Definition Of APC medication Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of APC (medication): Aspirin, phenacetin, and caffeine (a pill containing all three). Phenacetin was the first nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory ...
- OWASA Chair Alan Rimer Doesn't Know the Definition of Medication
- What Is The Definition Of Clot dissolving medication - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Psychotropic medication Medical School Terminology Dictionary
- What Is The Definition Of Antimicrobial medication Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of medical terminology, medical dictionary, medical dictionary free download, medical terminology made easy, medical terminology song.
View more videos about Antifungal Medication.
See also the pronunciation examples of Medication!
Quotes about Medication
Success and failure are both difficult to endure. Along with success come drugs, divorce, fornication, bullying, travel, meditation, medication, depression, neurosis and suicide. With failure comes failure. (Joseph Heller)
more quotes about medication...
Scrabble value of M3E1D2I1C3A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MEDICATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Medication!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Medication to see it in context!