On this page:
- Definition of the noun meld
- Definition of the verb meld
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Meld
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Meld
- Usage statistics about meld
- Photos about Meld
- Video language resources about Meld
- Quotes about Meld
- Scrabble value of M3E1L1D2
- Anagrams of MELD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun meld
What does meld mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: melds
- a form of rummy using two decks of cards and four jokers; jokers and deuces are wild; the object is to form groups of the same rank
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of meld: basket rummy / canasta
- more generic words: rum / rummy = a card game based on collecting sets and sequences
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun meld
- A combination of cards which is melded.
Definition of the verb meld
What does meld mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: melded | melding | melds
- announce for a score; of cards in a card game
- lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually
- mix together different elements
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] A new firm will integrate their ice cream production lines | Herman mixed the eggs [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Herman mixed the eggs and the cream together [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient 1] with / into / to [Patient 2] Herman mixed the eggs with the cream | Herman whipped sugar with the cream [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] The eggs and the cream mixed [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs mix well | The pieces interconnect easily | These computers connected well [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Eggs and cream mix well together [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] together The eggs and the cream mixed together [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] with / into / to [Patient 2] Eggs mix well with cream | This computer will connect well to the network [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] with / into / to [Patient 2] The eggs mixed with the cream
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of meld: blend / coalesce / combine / commingle / conflate / flux / fuse / immix / merge / mix
- more generic term: change integrity = change in physical make-up
- more specific terms:
- gauge = mix in specific proportions
- absorb = cause to become one with
- melt = lose its distinct outline or shape
- blend in / mix in = cause (something) to be mixed with
- accrete = grow together
- conjugate = unite chemically so that the product is easily broken down into the original compounds
- admix = mix or blend
- alloy = make an alloy of
- syncretise / syncretize = become fused
Alternative definition of the verb meld
- [US] to combine two similar objects into one
- In card games, especially of the rummy family, to announce or display a combination of cards.
Meld: When Meld completed the British Fillies Triple Crown by defeating Nucleus in the 1955 St. Leger, she was only the fourth filly to do so in the 20th century. She was undefeated as a three-year-old and was head of the 3YO Handicap.
- born in (63 years ago), child of Alycidon
Meld is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics Universe. Meld's first appearance was in Sentinel Squad O*N*E #1, created by John Layman and Aaron Lopresti.
- created by John Layman
- released in (10 years ago)
- Meld is the visual diff and merge tool of GNOME targeted at developers. It allows users to compare two or three files or directories visually, color-coding the different lines.
- official website: meld.sf.net
- MELD a.k.a. CycL in computer science and artificial intelligence is an ontology language used by Doug Lenat's Cyc artificial intelligence project. Ramanathan V. Guha was instrumental in the design of early versions of the language. There is a close variant of CycL known as MELD.
- read more about CycL
- Meld: In card games, a meld is a set of matching cards, typically three or more, that earn a player points and/or allow him to deplete his hand. Melds typically come in sequences of ascending cards belonging to the same suit know as runs or sets/groups of cards of identical rank. Other ones may be marriage and bezique.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Meld
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sudharma Ranasinghe, Kerri Wahl, Eric Harris, David Lubarsky
The MELD is a scoring system for assessing the severity of chronic liver disease. It was initially developed to predict death within 3 months of surgery in patients who had undergone a TIPS procedure and was subsequently found to be useful ...
Bengal District Gazetteers (1908)
by Bengal (India)
The meld is a great bathing festival, for, according to local belief, the Kabadak at this place, and for that day, acquires the sanctity of the Granges, a result due to the virtue of Kapilmuni or Kapileswari. The old temple of Kapileswari fell down ...
Drawing the Line (2016)
Healthcare Rationing and the Cutoff Problem by Philip M. Rosoff
Notes MELD is an acronym that stands for “model for end-stage liver disease.” It is a combination of several laboratory test values (serum albumin, bilirubin, a testing of the ability to clot the blood, etc.) ...
by E. Clementi
Introduction MELD is a molecular configuration interaction program developed primarily for the study of electronic excitation spectra and molecular properties. It is a "classical" brute-force program which makes no use of unitary groups, direct ...
Primary Care (2012)
A Collaborative Practice by Terry Mahan Buttaro, JoAnn Trybulski, Patricia Polgar-Bailey, Joanne Sandberg-Cook
The MELD is a classification Differential Diagnosis ...
by Priscilla Alderson
MELD is a system that emphasises the dynamic movement forward in DCR, driven by the Real bodies 67.
by Richard S. Irwin, James M. Rippe
MELD is an accurate predictor of short-term survival (3 months) in patients with cirrhosis awaiting liver transplantation [93–95]. Contraindications for liver transplantation include sepsis, advanced cardiac or pulmonary disease, extrahepatic ...
Selected papers from the 12th International Symposium on Lexicography, Copenhagen 2004 by Henrik Gottlieb, Jens Erik Mogensen
(MELD) Metaphors and Dictionaries: The Morass ofMeaning, or How to Get Two Ideas for One. Geart van der Meer. ( MELD) Nine Learner's Dictionaries. Robert Ilson. (MELD) The Treatment of Affixes in ...
Encyclopedia of Games (1914)
Including All the Indoor Games Played at the Present Day, [etc.]. by Robert Frederick Foster
fresh meld. This is a very important rule, and little understood. Suppose a player holds four Kings and four Queens. The total count for the various combinations these cards will make is 220: two plain-suit marriages, 20 each ; royal marriage, ...
The Atlantis Encyclopedia (2005)
by Frank Joseph
Meld. An island in the Atlantic Ocean from which the Family of Partholon immigrated to pre-Celtic Ireland before the “Pleasant Plain” disappeared in a “ storm.” (See Partholon). Magog. Cited in the Old Testament (Genesis 10: 2) as the ...
by Mervyn Hartwig
MELD TOTALITY. Dimension singles out a geo-historically recent form of causality – product-inprocess: human intentional causality, transformative AGENCY or praxis. Thus the MELD moments and corresponding concepts (see Table 29), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Meld
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about meld
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb meld:
Photos about Meld
Click on an item to view that photo:
Meld Studios' new studio
Photo credit: docbaty
View more pictures about Mind Meld.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Meld
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Meld!
Quotes about Meld
My MELD score was pretty high. And the worse you get on that scale, the sooner you get a transplant. It's based on how sick you are. And believe me, I was pretty sick. (Pat Summerall)
more quotes about meld...
Scrabble value of M3E1L1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MELD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Meld!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Meld to see it in context!