The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun meliorist:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun meliorist
- Definition of the adjective meliorist
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Meliorist
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Meliorist
- Video about Meliorist
- Quotes about Meliorist
- Scrabble value of M3E1L1I1O1R1I1S1T1
- Anagrams of MELIORIST
- Share this page
Definition of the noun meliorist
What does meliorist mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: meliorists
- a disputant who advocates reform
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of meliorist: crusader / reformer / reformist / social reformer
- more generic words: controversialist / disputant / eristic = a person who disputes
- more specific terms:
- emancipationist / abolitionist = a reformer who favors abolishing slavery
- birth-control campaigner / birth-control reformer = a social reformer who advocates birth control and family planning
- Chartist = a 19th century English reformer who advocated better social and economic conditions for working people
- civil rights activist / civil rights leader / civil rights worker = a leader of the political movement dedicated to securing equal opportunity for members of minority groups
- demonstrator / protester = someone who participates in a public display of group feeling
- prohibitionist / dry = a reformer who opposes the use of intoxicating beverages
- environmentalist / conservationist = someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution
- women's liberationist / women's rightist / feminist / libber = a supporter of feminism
- flower child / hipster / hippie / hippy = someone who rejects the established culture
- freedom fighter / insurrectionist / insurgent / rebel = a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority
- activist / militant = a militant reformer
- passive resister / non-resistant = a reformer who believes in passive resistance
- preservationist = someone who advocates the preservation of historical sites or endangered species or natural areas
- Utopian = an idealistic (but usually impractical) social reformer
- Anthony Comstock / Comstock = United States reformer who led moral crusades against art and literature that he considered obscene
- Dorothea Lynde Dix / Dorothea Dix / Dix = United States social reformer who pioneered in the reform of prisons and in the treatment of the mentally ill
- John Huss / Jan Hus / Huss / Hus = Czechoslovakian religious reformer who anticipated the Reformation; he questioned the infallibility of the Catholic Church was excommunicated (1409) for attacking the corruption of the clergy
- Robert Owen / Owen = Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities
- Girolamo Savonarola / Savonarola = Italian religious and political reformer; a Dominican friar in Florence who preached against sin and corruption and gained a large following
- Francis Everett Townsend / Townsend = United States social reformer who proposed an old-age pension sponsored by the federal government
- John Wilkes / Wilkes = English reformer who published attacks on George III and supported the rights of the American colonists
Alternative definition of the noun meliorist
- A proponent of meliorism
Definition of the adjective meliorist
What does meliorist mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of or relating to meliorism.
- Supporting the principles of meliorism.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Meliorist
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Understanding Philanthropy (2008)
Its Meaning and Mission by Robert L. Payton, Michael P. Moody
But, while hopeful, the meliorist is a realist. The meliorist knows that things often go wrong in the world. As the residents of Los Angeles know, earthquakes happen and riots happen; the melioristic response to such misfortune is to lessen the ...
Renascent Christianity (1898)
A Forecast of the Twentieth Century in the Light of Higher Criticism of the Bible, Study of Comparative Religion and of the Universal Prayer for Religious Unity by Martin Kellogg Schermerhorn
The meliorist is an ameliorator.
4-volume set by Hans J. Hillerbrand
Criticalof the meliorist attitude ...
by Maurine Harris, Glen Harris
Oxford English Dictionary meliorist: the belief that the world is moving naturally to a better state and that man can help in a positive way. membranous croup: diphtheria. menage: the members of a domestic establishment or household. an ...
by Sidney L. Landau
progressive, liberal, meliorist, reformer, radical. diet n. nourishment, sustenance, meals, food and drink, nutrition, nutriments, fare, provisions, nurture, victuals, foodstuffs, edibles, eats, grub (Slang). differ v. 1 vary, contrast, stand apart.
by Jana Ranson
aorist, amorist, aphorist, folklorist, meliorist, theorist. -oo-ist (2) cueist. (3) altruist, canoeist, euphuist. -uhr-iSt (3) armorist, colorist, diarist, Eucharist, humorist, motorist, terrorist, zitherist. (4) apiarist, militarist, plagiarist, secularist. - uur-ist (2) ...
by Robert H. Winthrop
Applied anthropology has involved a strongly meliorist stance: In the name of social improvement, foreign or domestic, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Meliorist
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Meliorist
Video shows what meliorist means. A proponent of meliorism. Meliorist Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say meliorist. Powered ...
Quotes about Meliorist
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'meliorist"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of M3E1L1I1O1R1I1S1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MELIORIST
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Meliorist!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Meliorist to find many related words and phrases!