Mile appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Emit a mile, lima time.
- Eli, manure: garden-mad animals I slam in a damned rage run a mile.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mile
- Phrases with Mile
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mile
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mile
- Photos about Mile
- Video language resources about Mile
- Quotes about Mile
- Scrabble value of M3I1L1E1
- Anagrams of MILE
- Share this page
Fun fact! The word "smiles" is supposed to be the longest word in the dictionary because there is a mile between the first and last letters.
The word mile is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mile
What does mile mean as a name of something?
Mile is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: miles
- a unit of length equal to 1,760 yards or 5,280 feet; exactly 1609.344 meters
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of mile: international mile / land mile / mi / stat mi / statute mile
- more generic terms: linear measure / linear unit = a unit of measurement of length
- part of: league = an obsolete unit of distance of variable length
- a unit of length used in navigation; exactly 1,852 meters; historically based on the distance spanned by one minute of arc in latitude
- a large distance
- a former British unit of length once used in navigation; equivalent to 6,000 feet (1828.8 meters)
- a former British unit of length equivalent to 6,080 feet (1,853.184 meters); 800 feet longer than a statute mile
- an ancient Roman unit of length equivalent to 1620 yards
- a Swedish unit of length equivalent to 10 km
- a footrace extending one mile
Specialised definition of the noun mile
Glossary of sports
an imperial measurement of distance, equal to 1.609km (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / athletics
the predecessor and imperial equivalent of the 1,500m (1 mile = 1,609.344m) (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- Mile a.k.a. Mile Kitić: Milojko "Mile" Kitić is a Serbian turbo-folk singer, popular in the former Yugoslavia.. Beginning his musical career in Sarajevo, he later gained success with the Belgrade-based Južni Vetar with fellow folk singers Sinan Sakić, Dragana Mirković, Kemal Malovčić and Šemsa Suljaković. During the Bosnian War, he fled to Serbia. He is married to the Serbian singer Marta Savić.
- Mile a.k.a. Miodrag Nikolic was a film art director and production designer.
- read more about Miodrag Nikolic
- Mile is a fictional character from the 1979 film Kost od mamuta.
- Mile is a fictional character from the film 72 days.
- Mile is a fictional character from the 1968 film It Rains in My Village.
- Mile is a fictional character from Slovenian Girl.
- Mile is a fictional character from the 1989 film Hamburg Altona.
- Mile is a fictional character from the 1968 film U raskoraku.
Phrases with Mile
Phrases starting with the word Mile:
Phrases ending with the word Mile:
- air mile
- sea mile
- Ton Mile
- half mile
- land mile
- last mile
- roman mile
- Run a Mile
- Metric mile
- square mile
- survey mile
- Country Mile
- quarter mile
- statute mile
- swedish mile
- Measured Mile
- nautical mile
- Admiralty mile
View more phrases with the word Mile in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mile
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by United States. Army. Corps of Engineers
e 31st mile is a rocky bank on the right hank which is 37 feet high. From the face tliiw blurt' a large island has recently broken oft' anil slid down into the river ; the nnnel has cut out in the bottom land to left side of it. and it does not form any ob- ...
by United States. War Dept
At the end of the 60th mile is a flood channel, made in W74, through what were cultivated fields ...
by United States. Army. Office of the Chief of Engineers
At the end of the 00th mile is a flood channel, made in 1874, through what were cultivated fields ...
On the Basis of Dr. Gregory's Comprehending the Latest Improvements in Every Branch of Useful Knowledge by James Mitchell
Danish Mile.. 8244 Dutch Mile...
% mile ; City Hall ...
by Benson John Lossing, Woodrow Wilson
cost less than $40,000 a mile to build. £ naturally into three groups: STATE SOVEREIGNTY balance of power between the sections would be. on how much capital that net income will pay interest at the rate of 6 per cent. EARNINGS PER ...
by Thomas M. Leonard
liquid gallon ha hectare in inch ha2 square hectare km kilometer km2 square kilometer m meter m2 square meter m3 cubic meter mi mile mi2 square mile mm ...
by K. Bradley Penuel, Matt Statler
The Three Mile Island nuclear power plant near Middletown, Pennsylvania,
by the late Leonard Feather, Ira Gitler
Joe Henderson (Mile. ); Wallace Roney (WB); Jaco Pastorius (Epic); Charles Fambrough (Audq.); Gato Barbieri; Gil Evans (A&M); Geri Allen (Story.). WHITE, MICHAEL WALTER, vln; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mile
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mile
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Mile
Click on an item to play that video:
- Nautical mile Meaning
Video shows what nautical mile means. A unit of length corresponding approximately to one minute of arc of latitude along any meridian. By international ...
- True meaning of "Going an extra mile" | 12/10/2015
Mrs. Nalini Sampathkumar tells us that the idiom, "Going an extra mile" is not working harder but to help others achieve their target as well, only on Mangaiyar ...
- Mile Meaning
Video shows what mile means. A unit of measure (length or distance) equal to 5280 feet (8 furlongs) in the U.S.Customary/Imperial system of measurements.
- Intro and Explanation for the 40 Mile Kayak Trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas
A few words explaining some things that happened and behind the scenes stories!
- Marathons With Meaning half way point (mile 50 of 100)
- Country mile Meaning
Video shows what country mile means. A long way, a great distance.. Country mile Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say country ...
- Mile idiom
- In for an inch, in for a mile Meaning
Video shows what in for an inch, in for a mile means. Given that one is partly involved in or committed to a project, action, position, etc., there is no reason to ...
- Western Slang Breeze half mile.MOD
- Eric Johnson - 40 Mile Town - Track Description
An intimate sit-down with Eric Johnson discussing and demonstrating Europe Live's "40 Mile Town". Europe Live is out now and available worldwide!
- Give Someone An Inch And They Will Take A Mile - ESL British English Pronunciation
- #10 App multie language mile
- Victoria Rader with Mile a Minute on Love Language
Join Victoria Rader in her Mile a Minute and explore the five languages of love ... in minute and a half!
- Mile sur Mera Tumhara Dance, International Language Festival - Forom des Langues du Monde, Toulouse
Solo dance on "Mile sur mera tumhara" was performed by Mrs. Sanchita Chowdhury at International Language Festival, Toulouse, France, 2010. Introduction in ...
View more videos about air mile, sea mile, Ten Mile, Ton Mile, Last mile, Run a Mile, Metric Mile, Square Mile, statute mile, Measured Mile, Mile High Club, passenger mile, Go the Extra Mile, Talk a Mile a Minute, and A Miss Is As Good As a Mile.
See also the pronunciation examples of Mile!
Quotes about Mile
Never judge someone till you've walked a mile in their shoes, cause then you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
more quotes about mile...
Scrabble value of M3I1L1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MILE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Mile!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mile to see it in context!