On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun military installation
What does military installation mean as a name of something?
- any facility servicing military forces
- domain: armed forces / armed services / military / military machine / war machine
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: facility / installation = a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry
- more specific terms:
- armoury / arsenal / armory = a military structure where arms and ammunition and other military equipment are stored and training is given in the use of arms
- base of operations / base = installation from which a military force initiates operations
- emplacement = military installation consisting of a prepared position for siting a weapon
- military headquarters / headquarters / HQ = the military installation from which a commander performs the functions of command
- military post / post = military installation at which a body of troops is stationed
- naval installation / shore station = military installation servicing naval forces
- silo = military installation consisting of an underground structure where ballistic missiles can be stored and fired
- instance: West Point = United States Army installation on the west bank of Hudson river to the north of New York City
Military Installation a.k.a. Fortification: Fortifications are military constructions or buildings designed for the defense of territories in warfare, and also used to solidify rule in a region during peace time. Humans have constructed defensive works for many thousands of years, in a variety of increasingly complex designs. The term is derived from the Latin fortis and facere.
- also known as Fort
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Military Installation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Margaret R. O'Leary
military installation A grouping of facilities, located in the same vicinity, which support particular functions. Installations may be elements of a base. See also base; Department of Defense ...
by Alexander M. Bielakowski Ph.D.
Johnson was activated at Montford Point—the first military installation named after an African American. Cameron D. McCoy See also African Americans—World War II; Branch, Frederick C.; Brewer, Herbert ...
by Michael I. Greenberg
military installation — Okinawa, Japan, February 2004.
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
after coup d'état—junta Military guard—sentry Military hairstyle—crew cut Military hostile—warlike Military information—intelligence Military installation— base Military instrument—bugle Military justice—court martial Military land force —Army ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
~улирсаналбан хаагч reengaged militarypersonnel, ~ албанаас халагдах tobe demobilized, ~анхан шатныбэлтгэл basic military training, ~байгууламж military installation, ~байрлал military position, ~батлах army ...
by Jerold E. Brown
thus creating a diversified military installation HISTORICAL ...
by Diagram Group
bunker An underground military installation for protection against air attack. campanile Italian for a bell tower detached from the main body of a church. architecture castle A fortified building, set of buildings, ...
by Editorial Staff, State History Publications, LLC
The oldest federal military installation ...
The Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History, 2nd Edition [4 volumes] (2011)
A Political, Social, and Military History by Spencer C. Tucker
military installation, with an area of more than 156,000 acres. The United States acquired the Philippine Islands as a consequence of the 1898 Spanish-American ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Military Installation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Military Installation
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Military Installation Council Meeting
Lt. Governor Rutherford Attends Military Installation Council Meeting by Joe Andrucyk at 100 Community Place, Crownsville MD
Photo credit: MDGovpics
- WW 2 military installation below Wolf Rodge
Photo credit: DBerry2006
- Maryland Military Installation Council Meeting
Governor O'Malley makes remarks at maryland military installation council meeting by Tom Nappi at Crownsville, Maryland
Photo credit: MDGovpics
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Military Installation to see it in context!