The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun mint:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb mint:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mint
- Definition of the adjective mint
- Definition of the verb mint
- Phrases with Mint
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mint
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mint
- Photos about Mint
- Video language resources about Mint
- Quotes about Mint
- Scrabble value of M3I1N1T1
- Anagrams of MINT
- Share this page
The word mint is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mint
What does mint mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- mint: mints
- Mint: Mints
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- example: he made a mint on the stock market
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of mint: batch / deal / flock / good deal / great deal / hatful / heap / lot / mass / mess / mickle / mountain / muckle / passel / peck / pile / plenty / pot / quite a little / raft / sight / slew / spate / stack / tidy sum / wad
- more generic terms: large indefinite amount / large indefinite quantity = an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude
- more specific words:
- any north temperate plant of the genus Mentha with aromatic leaves and small mauve flowers
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic terms: herb / herbaceous plant = a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties
- more specific terms:
- Mentha arvensis / field mint / corn mint = European mint naturalized in United States
- Mentha aquatica / water mint / water-mint = a European mint that thrives in wet places; has a perfume like that of the bergamot orange
- eau de cologne mint / Mentha citrata / bergamot mint / lemon mint = mint with leaves having perfume like that of the bergamot orange
- Mentha longifolia / horsemint = a coarse Old World wild water mint having long leaves and spikelike clusters of flowers
- Mentha piperita / peppermint = herb with downy leaves and small purple or white flowers that yields a pungent oil used as a flavoring
- Mentha spicata / spearmint = common garden herb having clusters of small purplish flowers and yielding an oil used as a flavoring
- Mentha rotundifolia / Mentha suaveolens / apple mint / applemint = mint with apple-scented stems of southern and western Europe
- Mentha pulegium / pennyroyal = Eurasian perennial mint have small lilac-blue flowers and ovate leaves
- member of: genus Mentha / Mentha = mint plants
- any member of the mint family of plants
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic terms: family Labiatae / family Lamiaceae / Labiatae / Lamiaceae / mint family = a large family of aromatic herbs and shrubs having flowers resembling the lips of a mouth and four-lobed ovaries yielding four one-seeded nutlets and including mint; thyme; sage
- the leaves of a mint plant used fresh or candied
- a candy that is flavored with a mint oil
- a plant where money is coined by authority of the government
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic terms: industrial plant / plant / works = buildings for carrying on industrial labor
- instance: United States Mint / U.S. Mint / US Mint = the mint that manufactures and distributes United States coins for circulation through Federal Reserve Banks
Alternative definition of the noun mint
- [context: provincial, Northern England, Scotland] Intent, purpose; an attempt, try; effort, endeavor.
- A building or institution where money (originally, only coins) is produced under government licence.
- [context: informal] A large amount of money. A vast sum or amount, etc.
- Any of several plants of the family Labiatae, typically aromatic with square stems.
- The flavouring of the plant, either a sweet, a jelly or sauce.
- A green colour, like that of mint.
- A mint-flavored candy, often eaten to sweeten the smell of the breath.
Definition of the adjective mint
What does mint mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: minter |
- as if new
- example: in mint condition
- adjective position: attributive adjective (it occurs before the noun)
- similar: perfect
Alternative definition of the adjective mint
- Of condition, as new.
- [context: numismatics] In near-perfect condition; uncirculated.
- [context: philately] Unused with original gum; as issued originally.
- [slang] Very good.
- Of a green colour, like that of the mint plant.
Definition of the verb mint
What does mint mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: minted | minting | mints
- form by stamping, punching, or printing
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] David dug me a hole | Donna fixed me a sandwich [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] David constructed a house | Donna fixed a sandwich [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] as [Oblique] They designed the Westinghouse-Mitsubishi venture as a non-equity transaction [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] for [Beneficiary] David dug a hole for me | Donna fixed a sandwich for me [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] David constructed a house out of sticks
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of mint: coin / strike
- more generic terms: create from raw material / create from raw stuff = make from scratch
Mint: A mint is a food item characterized by the presence of mint flavoring or real mint oil, whether it be peppermint oil, spearmint oil, or another natural or artificial source; the sweets are often referred to as "peppermints." They are usually used to freshen breath. It is possible to obtain these sweets in a sugar-free version. Wintergreen and other oils or flavors are also frequently used in mints; however, these are not of the mint family or botanical group.
- also known as Mentina, Bonbon parfumé à la menthe, Mintkaramell, Pebermynte, ミントタブレット
There are other foods with Mint in their name, like Balm mint, Mint leaf, Mint sauce, squaw mint, woolly mint, Mint chocolate, Green mint syrup, Kendal Mint Cake, Mint Chocolate Chip, Klondike Slim-a-Bear Mint Sandwich, Keebler Fudge Shoppe Merry Mint Patties and Murray Sugar Free Fudge Dipped Mint Cookies.
"Mint" is a play by Clare Lizzimore.
"Mint" is an artwork (ink) by Robert Rauschenberg, begun in (41 years ago).
- media: ink
- "Mint" is a musical album of Alexkid.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Mint" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music and lyrics by Bonnie Pink
- "Mint" is a 2000 musical album by Silly Fools.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Mint" is a musical album of Crunchy Kids.
- released on
- "Mint" is a musical single of Rina Aiuchi.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Mint" is a musical single of Villa.
- released in
- "Mint" is a musical album of Rachel Loshak.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Mint" is a musical album of The Penny Regime.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Mint" is a composition.
- music by Kathleen Edwards
- "Mint" is a musical album of Mint Uttawadee.
- "Mint" is a composition.
- music by Marko Laine
- "Mint" is a composition.
- music by Ethan Iverson
Mint is a server-based web analytics tool. It tracks traffic trends, HTTP referrers, and search trends.
- Mint a.k.a. Chalida Vijitvongthong is a Thai actress and model.
- read more about Chalida Vijitvongthong
- Mint a.k.a. Mintita Wattanakul is a singer and actress.
- read more about Mintita Wattanakul (actress)
- Mint a.k.a. Natwara Wongwasana is an award-winning tv actor.
- read more about Natwara Wongwasana (actress)
- Mint is a musical artist.
- Mint a.k.a. Torfun Jittaratit is an actor.
- read more about Torfun Jittaratit (actress)
- Mint a.k.a. Lalita Paisarn is a presenter of Thai television program Strawberry Cheesecake.
- read more about Lalita Paisarn
- Mint is a Belgian pop-rock band, which started in 1999.
- also known as Mint (B)
- albums: "Magnetism", "Echoes From the Engine Room", "Hinterland", "Hits From Her Laser"
- official website: www.mintonline.be
- Mint is a musical group.
- Mint is a fictional character from the 2012 film 3 A.M. 3D.
- Mint is a fictional character from Thai sit-com Pentor.
- also known as Bangorn Meetam
- Mint is a fictional character from Magical Angel Sweet Mint.
- also known as Dolceluna
- Mint is a fictional character from the 1999 anime TV series Trouble Chocolate.
- Mint is a fictional character from the 2011 Thai film 30+ Soht On Sale.
- Mint a.k.a. Minto is a fictional character from the tv program Jura Tripper.
- read more about Minto
- Mint is a fictional character from the 2009 film Bitter/Sweet.
- Mint is a fictional character from 2012 film Careless Love.
There are other characters with in their name, like Mint sauce.
- Mint: A mint is an industrial facility which manufactures coins for currency.
- Mint is India's second largest business newspaper published by HT Media Ltd, the Delhi-based media group which also publishes the Hindustan Times. It mostly targets readers who are business executives and policy makers. It is India's first newspaper to be published in the Berliner format. Mint exclusively carries "WSJ" branded editorial content in its pages by virtue of the content sharing partnership between HT Media and Newscorp, which owns the Journal. The current Editor of the newspaper is Sukumar Ranganathan.
- official website: www.livemint.com/Home.aspx
- MINT is an acronym referring to the economies of Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria, and Turkey. The term was originally coined by Fidelity Investments, a Boston-based asset management firm, and was popularized by Jim O'Neill of Goldman Sachs, who had created the term BRIC. The term is primarily used in the economic and financial spheres as well as in academia. Its usage has grown specially in the investment sector, where it is used to refer to the bonds issued by these governments. These four countries are also part of the "Next Eleven".
- MiNT is a free software alternative operating system kernel for the Atari ST system and its successors. Together with the free system components fVDI, XaAES, and TeraDesk, MiNT provides a free TOS compatible replacement OS that is capable of multitasking.
- license: Open source
- Mint Restaurant was a Michelin star–winning restaurant located in Ranelagh, Dublin in Ireland. It was owned by the controversial celebrity chef Dylan McGrath. The restaurant was featured in the 2008 RTÉ One fly on the wall documentary The Pressure Cooker, a programme which led to much complaint from McGrath's fellow chefs in the Irish media about his alleged mistreatment of his staff. The closure of Mint Restaurant was publicised in the Evening Herald on 23 April 2009.
- also known as Mint Restaurant
- official website: www.mintrestaurant.ie/index.htm
- mint is a 2009 Shorty Awards-nominated Twitter microblog.
- Mint a.k.a. Apba1 is a protein.
- read more about Apba1
- Mint Credit Cards is an online financial services brand and part of the Royal Bank of Scotland Groups Retail - Direct Channels Division. The Mint credit card was introduced as a replacement for the RBS Advanta card.
- Mint is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Mint is a 2013 theater production of the play by Clare Lizzimore.
- Mint is a restaurant.
- Mint is a color.
- Mint a.k.a. spen homolog, transcriptional regulator (Drosophila) is a gene.
- also known as Msx2 interacting nuclear target (MINT) homolog; spen homolog, transcriptional regulator; nuclear receptor transcription cofactor; OTTHUMP00000044600; SMART/HDAC1 associated repressor protein
Phrases with Mint
Phrases starting with the word Mint:
Phrases ending with the word Mint:
- us mint
- Red Mint
- Bush Mint
- corn mint
- Sage Mint
- u.s. mint
- Wild Mint
- wood mint
- apple mint
- basil mint
- field mint
- Hairy Mint
- horse mint
- lemon mint
View more phrases with the word Mint in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mint
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Scott Cunningham
Wood Sour Trefoil: Sorrel, Wood Sow-Bread: Cyclamen Spanish Arbor Vine: Wood Rose Spanish Saffron: Saffron Sparrow's Tongue: Knotweed Spike: Lavender Spider Lily: Spiderwort Spindle Tree: Wahoo Spire Mint: Spearmint Sponnc: ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
The mint or bullion porter is to attend the office daily, if required : to be present at all importations and deliveries at the office : to mark on the assay paper the weight of each ingot weighed at the scale : to arrange, with the assistance of the ...
by S. Gangolli
nematodes Kluyveromyces marxianus yeast Mensipermum cocculus plant Labeo rohita carp Mentha aquatica bog mint Laccaria spp. fungi ...
by Michael T. Murray, Joseph Pizzorno
CARROTS Anise Basil Chives Cinnamon Cloves Cumin Dill Ginger Marjoram Mint Mustard seed Nutmeg Parsley Pepper, black Sage Tarragon Thyme. herbs and spices are much less likely to have been irradiated. Matching Vegetables and ...
by Richard Lawrence Miller
Log, Loveboat, Lovely, Mad Dog, Madman, Magic, Magic Dust, Magic Mist, Mean Green, Mint Dew, Mint Leaf, Mint Weed, Missile, Mist, Monkey Dust, Monkey Tranquilizer, More, New Acid, New Magic, Niebla, Octane (mixed with gasoline), ...
A Cultural Encyclopedia by Shannon L. Kenny
Because the fate of currency played a crucial role in the successes and failures of England and the British Empire, the Tower Mint and its keepers fulfilled a strategic function in governance and political intrigue throughout history. One of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mint
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mint
Click on an item to view that photo:
Another new shoot is coming out!
Photo credit: bfishadow
Photo credit: schoschie
Photo credit: Ruth and Dave
Photo credit: whatleydude
Photo credit: Daquella manera
Photo credit: IngaMun
Photo credit: zenjazzygeek
Photo credit: eelke dekker
Photo credit: ilyayakubovich.com
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Jar o' Mint
Photo credit: bert_m_b
- Mint 'Moroccan'
Photo credit: missellyrh
- Eggplant with mint
Photo credit: stefanomagliole
- Look...Mint Choc Milkshake!
WA comes to Coventry!
Photo credit: amandabhslater
- White choc mint latte
at Cafe 203
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
- Fresh mint & chocolate cookies
Photo credit: katsommers
- Mint Loves
Photo credit: Mint Digital
- Mint in the pudding
Photo: Fabio Penna
Photo credit: Fabio Sola Penna
- Chocolate Mint cupcake
Photo credit: American Candy Stand Cupcakes (Aust.)
- Mint reaching for the light!
Slightly stylised view of mint growing up between other plants and just making it to the sun.
Photo credit: MarkC333
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Mint
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mint meaning and pronunciation
1. A flavour, based on Mint leaves. 2. A hard candy of above mentioned flavor. 3. A place where coins are made. 4. Collector-speak for something in perfect ...
- Mint Meaning
Video shows what mint means. To try, attempt; take aim.. To try, attempt, endeavor; to take aim at; to try to hit; to purpose.. To hint; suggest; insinuate.. mint ...
- Update Mint explanation and IT articles
- Maximuscle Promax Lean 60 g Choc Mint Weight Loss and Definition Bars - Box of 12
- Mint tea Meaning
Video shows what mint tea means. An herb tea made by steeping leaves of plants of the mint family in hot water.. Mint tea Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Western Slang and Magical Mint 07 Breeze on 22 May 2010
Western Slang Magical Mint 07 Breeze 1/4 mile on 22 May 2010 at Goodwin Farm in :28.2.
- Mint sauce Meaning
Video shows what mint sauce means. A sauce, made with mint and vinegar, that is a popular accompaniment to roast lamb.. Mint sauce Meaning. How to ...
- Magical Mint 07 and Western Slang 15 May 2010 Breeze
- Western Slang & Magical Mint 07 9 May 2010 Goodwin Farm
See also the pronunciation examples of Mint!
Quotes about Mint
Efter long mint, never dint.
more quotes about mint...
Scrabble value of M3I1N1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MINT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Mint!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mint to see it in context!