On this page:
- Definition of the noun missing link
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Missing Link
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Missing Link
- Photos about Missing Link
- Video language resources about Missing Link
- Quotes about Missing Link
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun missing link
What does missing link mean as a name of something?
- hypothetical organism formerly thought to be intermediate between apes and human beings
"Missing Link" is a 1988 film written and directed by Carol and David Hughes. The movie is set in Africa roughly one million years ago, at a time when one species of "man-apes" was being displaced by the ancestors of modern humans. The film follows the last of the man-apes as he wanders through the wilderness after his tribe is slaughtered by the aggressive humans who have invented the ax and have learned to make use of fire. He journeys through a savanna, an oasis, a desert, and eventually the shores of a beach. Along the way, he avoids the humans that killed his family and witnesses many fantastic sights of wildlife. After experiencing a hallucination brought on by ingesting a hallucinogenic plant, he realizes the stone ax that he has been carrying after finding it at the site where his tribe was killed is a weapon. When he comes across a human footprint at the ocean shore, he sniffs it and then starts hitting it, wanting revenge against the humans. But he then relents and tosses the ax into the ocean. The closing scene has him sitting mournfully on the beach as the sun sets. The closing text states that the "man-apes" were likely the first species humanity pushed into extinction.
- countries: United States of America, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany
- languages: English Language, Dutch Language
- director: Ger Poppelaars
- genres: Adventure Film, World cinema, Childhood Drama, Family-Oriented Adventure, Children's/Family, Comedy
- released in (16 years ago)
- also known as "Missing Link (Destroyer No 39)"
- character: Remo Williams
Missing Link is the name of four fictional characters in Marvel Comics.
- "Missing Link" is a musical album of Penicillin.
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Missing Link" is a composition, cataloged instance.
Missing Link is a musical group.
- albums: "Nevergreen", "Ahead"
Missing Link is a record label.
- official website: www.missinglink.net.au
- Missing Link is a mechanical puzzle invented in 1981 by Steven P. Hanson and Jeffrey D. Breslow.
- Missing Link was a retrospective sports program that aired on the American network ESPN Classic. It debuted on March 7, 2007 and aired every Wednesday night at 10 p.m. Eastern time and was hosted by the host of ESPN Radio's The Herd, Colin Cowherd.
- begun on and completed on (7 years ago)
- 13 episodes of 30 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- genres: Documentary film, Sports
- Missing Link was a German pop group hailing from Mönchengladbach, that was active in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Missing Link
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Encyclopedia for Understanding Science by Sehoya H. Cotner, Randy Moore
The term “missing link” was used during Charles Darwin's era to denote hypothetical organisms that linked different groups, and especially humans with anthropoid apes. For example, in 1866, when Prussian biologist Ernst Haeckel ...
From Alien Abductions to Zone Therapy by William F. Williams
MISSING LINK days of the Apollo program, the mathematics required to compute the motion of Earth relative to the Moon required a more sophisticated timekeeping system. Originally, the system used for keeping time had been the ...
by Joseph Segen
See Bodymind link, Hypertext link, Missing link, Oncolink, Physician officetolaboratory link. linkage. analysis. Genetics A genehunting technique that traces patterns of heredity in large, highrisk ...
To Inspire Ambition, to Stimulate the Imagination, to Provide the Inquiring Mind with Accurate Information Told in an Interesting Style, and Thus Lead Into Broader Fields of Knowledge, Such is the Purpose of this Work by Guy Stanton Ford
THE MONKEYS AND THE **MISSING LINK*.* As you pursue the fascinating study of science and get into the subject of evolution, you will hear a great deal about “missing links,” and particularly about the link that is supposed to connect man ...
by Colin Wilson
Glozel hadalso been hailed as a kindof missing link –inthis case,the missing link between Old Stone Age huntersand Neolithic farmers – agap archaeologists referred toas “the ancient hiatus”. Old Stone Age hunterswere supposed to have ...
Third Edition, 2011 by William Harwood
missing link Concept that arose as a consequence of a misinterpretation of evolutionary theory. Whereas humans and modern apes evolved from a common ancestor as different from either as they are different from each other, the belief was ...
Encyclopedia of Evolution (2009)
by Stanley A. Rice
A missing link might have feathers but have reptilian skeletal features such as tail vertebrae and teeth. Numerous fossils of feathered dinosaurs have been found, as well as primitive birds that had teeth (see birds, evolution of). The most ...
by James Main Dixon
— The missing link — a creature between a man and a monkey, the discovery of which is necessary to the establishment of the theory of the descent of men from monkeys. P. The name is often applied to men who resemble monkeys.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Missing Link
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Missing Link
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Missing Link
Missing Link Martial Arts
Photo credit: dargie.lynch
- Missing Link
Link was at the vet and Frank was very upset about this, so was Jimmy Dean. Theywould not eat ordrink and Frank was crying. Jimmy Dean did his best to keep Frank calm, but they stayed at the door.
Photo credit: Tobyotter
- Missing link
It was so ill it could fall at any moment
Photo credit: aleske
- Missing Link
These two moped around all afternoon waiting for Link to come back. The boys don't like being apart.
JD is so big compared to Frank
Photo credit: Tobyotter
- Missing Link
Photo credit: waledro
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Missing Link
Click on an item to play that video:
- Higgs Boson Explanation - The Discovered Missing Link in the Standard Model of Particle Physics
Original video upload by singularityu...
- Missing link Meaning
Video shows what missing link means. A hypothetical primate once thought necessary to explain a perceived evolutionary gap between apes and humans.
- The Marvelous Missing Link and It's Meaning
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
- The New Language of Sales - The Missing Link
See also the pronunciation examples of Missing Link!
Quotes about Missing Link
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Missing Link to see it in context!