Mode appears in the following tongue twister:
- To put a pipe in byte mode, type PIPE_TYPE_BYTE.
(from the Visual C++ help file)
Mode appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Boredom a la mode, Rob?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun mode:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mode
- Phrases with Mode
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mode
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mode
- Photos about Mode
- Videos about Mode
- Quotes about Mode
- Scrabble value of M3O1D2E1
- Anagrams of MODE
- Share this page
Mode is sometimes a misspelling of mood.
The word mode and its family (modes) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mode
What does mode mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: modes
- how something is done or how it happens
- example: their nomadic mode of existence
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of mode: fashion / manner / style / way
- more generic word: property = a basic or essential attribute shared by all members of a class
- more specific terms:
- artistic style / idiom = the style of a particular artist or school or movement
- drape = the manner in which fabric hangs or falls
- fit = the manner in which something fits
- form = a particular mode in which something is manifested
- modus vivendi / life style / life-style / lifestyle = a manner of living that reflects the person's values and attitudes
- setup = the way something is organized or arranged
- signature / touch = a distinguishing style
- wise = a way of doing or being
- response = the manner in which an electrical or mechanical device responds to an input signal or a range of input signals
- a particular functioning condition or arrangement
- a classification of propositions on the basis of whether they claim necessity or possibility or impossibility
- verb inflections that express how the action or state is conceived by the speaker
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- synonyms of mode: modality / mood
- more generic term: grammatical relation = a linguistic relation established by grammar
- more specific terms:
- declarative mood / indicative mood / common mood / declarative / indicative / fact mood = a mood (grammatically unmarked) that represents the act or state as an objective fact
- subjunctive mood / subjunctive = a mood that represents an act or state (not as a fact but) as contingent or possible
- optative mood / optative = a mood (as in Greek or Sanskrit) that expresses a wish or hope
- imperative form / imperative mood / jussive mood / imperative = a mood that expresses an intention to influence the listener's behavior
- interrogative mood / interrogative = some linguists consider interrogative sentences to constitute a mood
- any of various fixed orders of the various diatonic notes within an octave
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of mode: musical mode
- more generic term: diatonic scale = a scale with eight notes in an octave
- more specific terms:
- ecclesiastical mode / Gregorian mode / medieval mode / church mode = any of a system of modes used in Gregorian chants up until 1600
- Greek mode = any of the descending diatonic scales in the music of classical Greece
- major diatonic scale / major scale = a diatonic scale with notes separated by whole tones except for the 3rd and 4th and 7th and 8th
- minor diatonic scale / minor scale = a diatonic scale with notes separated by whole tones except for the 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th
- the most frequent value of a random variable
Mode a.k.a. Mode Records is an American contemporary classical music record label based in New York City, New York, whose primary focus is modern classical, avant-garde, and new music. Composers featured include John Cage, Morton Feldman, Iannis Xenakis, and Harry Partch. Performers include Aki Takahashi, Martine Joste, the Arditti Quartet and Motion Ensemble. The label also has a commitment to younger composers with releases featuring Jason Eckardt, Joshua Fineberg, and Lei Liang.
- read more about Mode Records
MODE is a musical group.
- album: "Pillars of the Temple"
- "Mode" is a musical album of Starshooter.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "MODE" is a musical album of TRIX.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Mode" is a musical single of Bingo Players.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Mode" is a musical EP of Sachiko Suzuki.
- released on (23 years ago)
- "Mode" is a musical album of Kamp.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Mode" is a composition.
Mode a.k.a. Mode, Illinois: Mode is an unincorporated community in Holland Township, Shelby County, Illinois, United States. Mode is 5.5 miles west of Stewardson. Mode has a post office with ZIP code 62444. Mode is also the home of the Holland Township Building at RR 1 Box 171A, Mode, Illinois 62444.
- read more about Mode, Illinois
- Mode: In the theory of Western music, mode generally refers to a type of scale, coupled with a set of characteristic melodic behaviours. This use, still the most common in recent years, reflects a tradition dating to the Middle Ages, itself inspired by the theory of ancient Greek music.
- also known as Musical mode
- Mode: In user interface design, a mode is a distinct setting within a computer program or any physical machine interface, in which the same user input will produce perceived different results than it would in other settings. The best-known modal interface components are probably the Caps lock and Insert keys on the standard computer keyboard, both of which put the user's typing into a different mode after being pressed, then return it to the regular mode after being re-pressed.
- Mode: In literature, a mode is an employed method or approach, identifiable within a written work. As descriptive terms, form and genre are often used inaccurately instead of mode; for example, the pastoral mode is often mistakenly identified as a genre.
- MODE was a fashion magazine aimed towards plus-size women which launched in the spring of 1997. The magazine was praised for targeting the plus-size consumer with a Vogue-like fashion philosophy. MODE also helped to increase the growth of the plus-size industry and the caliber of plus-size clothing and advertising. In 1997, MODE was named the best new magazine launch by Ad Week and Advertising Age. MODE also ran model search competitions in conjunction with the Wilhelmina modeling agency, drawing entries from thousands of hopefuls from the US and Canada. Its circulation was approximately 600,000 at the time of its demise in late 2001.
- modE is a gene.
- modE is a genomic locus.
- Mode is an architectural style.
Phrases with Mode
- God Mode
- a la mode
- a la mode
- Dual Mode
- Real mode
- Safe mode
- greek mode
- major mode
- minor mode
- Sleep mode
- church mode
- Cooked mode
- Dorian mode
- Flight mode
- Insert Mode
- Ionian mode
- Lydian mode
- Thread mode
- Aeolian mode
View more phrases with the word Mode in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mode
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Quantitative Technique (2009)
by C Satya Devi
Mode means some thing practiced by majority.
by Joan Welkowitz, Barry H. Cohen, Robert B. Ewen
the mode is the score on the X -axis that has the highest bar over it. In a frequency...
The mode is a crude descriptive measure of location that ignores a substantial part of the data. Therefore ...
Correct English (1919)
The indicative mode is that use of the verb by which an assertion is made, or a supposition is regarded as a fact, or a question is...
subject of the imperative mode is the personal pronoun of the second person, understood; as, “(You) go home.
by Carol E. Osborn
Mode The mode is the simplest measure of central tendency.
by T. Dracos, A. Tsinober
The fast mode is the actual aggregation process in which larger clumps are formed from smaller ones. An even simpler example is the gas of hard spheres. Here the spheres propagate ballistically between instantaneous collisions, which ...
History by Numbers (2016)
An Introduction to Quantitative Approaches by Pat Hudson, Mina Ishizu
The mode is the most commonly occurring observation.
The advantage of the mode is that it represents the most common experience or occurrence but the disadvantage is that it takes no account...
A Networked Lifeworld by T. Rasmussen
The perception mode refers to information about where and when, one's own or other's location in time and space. Perception refers to the body of the agent. In this case, the person acquires information from media like the map, the compass, ...
Specifying and Programming the Steam Boiler Control by Jean-Raymond Abrial, Egon Börger, Hans Langmaack
Degraded mode The degraded mode is the mode in which the program tries to maintain a satisfactory water level despite of the presence of failure of some physical unit. It is assumed however that the water level measuring unit in the ...
The Assemblies (1867)
Containing the first twenty-six assemblies by al-Qāsim Ibn-ʻAlī al- Ḥarīrī
The second mode is that you should masb both ...
by Dr. Keith Mayes, Konstantinos Markantonakis
Active mode means also to update several ten- or hundred thousand of (U)SIM cards in a certain time frame.
by Dana Roth
Mixolydian Mode............. 56 Dorian Mode..................... 63 Lydian Mode..................... 70 Phrygian ...
by Martin H. Weik
mode attenuation N = 2T*a*(n,” - n”)/X” where a is the fiber radius (one-half the core diameter), ni and n2 are the refractive indices of the core and cladding, and X is the wavelength of the lightwave launched into the fiber by the source, not ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
mode. The idea that language learning objectives are to be defined in terms of the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing is well established in foreign language pedagogy. Whether it is well founded is a different matter.
The options in this menu allow you change the display of the structure on the screen File Edit Draw Template Text QueryDef Structure Drawing (Query Mode) - DAR Dispjay Dot atoms Search Utilities Help (UnH Show VPA Show Hydrogens ...
A Treasury of Quotations in Psychology, Philosophy, and Artificial Intelligence by Morton Wagman
and its mode is metonymic. The selective (or associative) process manifests itself in similarity (one word or concept being "like" ...
The CO 2 stretching mode is not sensitive to these effects and neither the laboratory nor the interstellar spectra show much variation upon warm up. However, the stretching mode of the 13 C isotope of solid CO 2 does show these effects, and ...
Volume 3 - Ballistics Calculations to Box-Jenkins Approach to Time Series Analysis and Forecasting by Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent
Satellite mode 2. Nonintelligcnt terminals a. Interactive mode b. Remote batch mode The intelligent terminals are computers which have limited computing power and which can be programmed for certain bank functions.
by Adrian Parr
Instead of slotting everything into polarised fields of the norm and its antithesis, Deleuze and Guattari encourage us to remove the poles of organisation but maintain a mode of articulation. They advise that in seeking to make ourselves a BwO, ...
For Information and Communication Technologies and Related Areas by J. Vlietstra
Against Internet Defamation An Analytical Information Management System Absolute Assembly Language Asynchronous transfer mode Adaption Layer ATM Adaptation Layer (ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Automated Assembly Line ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mode
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mode
Click on an item to view that photo:
Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower in Shinjuku, Tokyo
Photo credit: aotaro
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Mode
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition of Mode
Definition of Mode Find a transcript of this video at...
- Twitch "Host" Mode - Explanation and Tutorial
- Lexus LS 430 - Power / ECT / Snow Mode Explanation
ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. This button controls the power to the transmission. Pressing "Power" makes the transmission more ...
- Lexus"Snow" mode - RX350 Explanation
This clip will teach you about the "Snow" mode feature on the Lexus RX350. Critics say the 2015 Lexus RX 350 is an extremely comfortable SUV with a serene ...
- Lexus CT200h - EV Mode Explanation-Save Money on Gas!
This clip will teach you about the EV mode button on the Lexus CT200h and how it can help you achieve better fuel economy.
- Toyota 4Runner - Drive Mode Explanation
This clip will teach you how to use the controls on the dash of the 2001 4Runner.
- Explanation of Subaru Hill Holder and X Mode
- 2013 Rav4 Sport Mode test and explanation
Checking out the new Sport mode on the new 2013 Rav4.
- John Mode meaning and pronunciation
an all-encompassing state of mind which allows endless possibilities to those who enable it. With John Mode ON, no other modes are required. It is superior to ...
- Tool Axis Definition Improvement - Tool Axis Mode - PowerMILL 2013
A new 'mode' option has been added to the tool axis definition. The Benefits include For projection type toolpaths the tool axis can be defined relative to the final ...
- Explanation of Yamaha Cruise Assist and No Wake Mode
This is an explanation of how Yamaha's new Cruise Assist and No Wake Mode work. This feature is included on the Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO and FX SHO ...
- 2013 Nissan Leaf long life mode setting explanation
Explains the behavior of and where to look at the effect of changing the battery long life mode 80/100% toggle. This is available in this form on 2013 Leafs w/SV ...
- Siemens Definition Flash - Flash Mode Examination - Cardiac Protocol
Siemens Definition Flash - Flash Mode Examination - 0,48 sec.
- Diploma Of Language Studies (Accelerated Mode) 2016
This diploma will allow you to fast-track studying Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean or Spanish languages alongside your studies at the University of Sydney in ...
- Diploma Of Language Studies - Accelerated Mode
Study the new accelerated mode of the Diploma of Language Studies, offered from 2015.
- Mode Features - AS and A2 English Language Revision - Writing An Essay
Some mode features to include in your introductution when writing an essay in the exam. Suitable for AS and A2 students and for all exam boards: AQA A and B, ...
- English Lesson: Verb Moods -- The Subjunctive Mode
- NBA 2K13 - CREW Mode description and information
Crew mode is a must in NBA 2k13 if they want their sales to increase. Jay Z helps so much in the game and Crew is icing on the cake. Crew Mode brings a ...
- Tips For Staying In The Target Language - Interpersonal Mode - Introducing Yourself
- The Language of Music -- Exploration Mode (Official)
- Brain power, language learning, and the learner mode!!
How does language learning effect brain power and longevity? Studies show that learning a languge is the perfect brain exercise to increases the brains ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Mode!
Quotes about Mode
The iconoclastic mode, that specific mode of language, there is an element of it that it is punk - that is confrontational. That's just a part of the language of jazz - at a certain point. (Matthew Shipp)
more quotes about mode...
Scrabble value of M3O1D2E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MODE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Mode!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mode to see it in context!