The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun mop up:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb mop up:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mop up
What does mop up mean as a name of something?
- a concluding action
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of mop up: closing / completion / culmination / windup
- more generic words: conclusion / ending / termination = the act of ending something
- more specific words:
- consummation = the act of bringing to completion or fruition
- consummation = the completion of marriage by sexual intercourse
- finishing / finish = the act of finishing
- finalisation / finalization = the act of finalizing
- follow-through = carrying some project or intention to full completion
- follow-through = the act of carrying a stroke to its natural completion
- graduation = the successful completion of a program of study
Definition of the verb mop up
What does mop up mean as a doing phrase?
- to wash or wipe with or as if with a mop
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of mop up: mop / wipe up
- more generic terms: absorb / draw / imbibe / soak up / sop up / suck / suck up / take in / take up = take in, also metaphorically
- more specific words:
- defeat thoroughly
- finish a task completely
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of mop up: clear up / finish off / finish up / get through / polish off / wrap up
- more generic words: complete / finish = come or bring to a finish or an end
- more specific term: cap off = finish or complete, as with some decisive action
Alternative definition of the verb mop up
- To clean up with a mop; especially to clean up a spill or mess.
- [idiomatic] To fix problems; to correct or repair.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mop Up
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Eric Partridge, Jacqueline Simpson
' mop up , v. To empty (e.g. a glass): from ca ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
221, 1966 mop up ...
A New Bislama Dictionary (2003)
by Terry Crowley
mop, mop up more int. goodnight 2. hello (said to Paamese person) moring n. [naut] permanent mooring for boat Moris n. Mauritius ...
mop up vt ...
Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Tinker's Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
From "to mop" or "mop up," which see. Some of the numerous synonyms are, " slewed, queer, tosticated, so so, been in the sun, muggy, murky, muzzy, fresh, glorious, bright in the eye, dull in the eye, overtaken, overshot, overdone, done over, ...
Durorp-English Dictionary (2013)
mop, mop up makara (v) wriggle; fidget; become agitated её.
See MOP up under MOP. mopy /'moopi/ c- adj (mopier, mopiest) inclined to mope ; dull, lisdess or miserable. • mopily adverb. • mopiness noun. moquette /mD'kct/ ...
School Dictionary (1995)
by C. M. Schwarz
mop up to clean or wipe up. mope verb to be unhappy and gloomy. moped noun a pedal bicycle with a motor. moraine noun a line of rocks and gravel left by a glacier. moral adjective having to do with right and wrong behaviour and character; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mop Up
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mop Up
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Mop up
Paul Stevko Florida Panther NWR
Photo by Josh O'Connor - USFWS
Photo credit: USFWS/Southeast
- Mop up team
These guys stayed up on this hillside for AGES! When they took a break, they just sat right up there, keeping a watch for any flare ups!
Photo credit: bcgrote
- Firefighters mop up a stump hole
Taken by Steve Pendergrass, Strike Team Leader Trainee
Photo credit: Bagley Fire Info
- Mop Up Spills
Photo credit: Biology Open Educational Resources
- The Yanks mop up on Bougainville
"The Yanks mop up on Bougainville. At night the Japs would infiltrate American lines. At Dawn, the doughboys went out and killed them. This photo shows tank going forward, infantrymen following in its cover." March 1944.
Photo credit: Marion Doss
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Mop Up
Mop up Meaning
Video shows what mop up means. To clean up with a mop; especially to clean up a spill or mess.. To fix problems; to correct or repair.. To clear the leftovers of a ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Mop Up!
Anagrams of MOP UP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Mop Up!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mop Up to see it in context!